• 8 months later...

And with Disney now owning Star Wars I think the chances of it dropped even further (can a chance drop below zero?)

Pretty much this :( If you look at the TRON movies and the animated series they are darker, though better IMHO, than the last Star Wars film and animated series which is outside Disney's comfort zone for generating money.

There were also rumors of a remake of The Black Hole being in early development at Disney as well but I think the plug was quietly pulled on that after the Star Wars purchase.

Edited by taksraven

Pretty much this :( If you look at the TRON movies and the animated series they are darker, though better IMHO, than the last Star Wars film and animated series which is outside Disney's comfort zone for generating money.

They probably figure the market isn't big enough to support two science-fiction franchises, and are throwing their money behind the bigger one rather than split the market and kill both.

It is a stupid mindset, but also a common one.

They probably figure the market isn't big enough to support two science-fiction franchises, and are throwing their money behind the bigger one rather than split the market and kill both.

It is a stupid mindset, but also a common one.

No - they have one which was an under-performer and the very wisely decided to not waste any more money on it. If the Star Wars spinoffs do poorly than perhaps Tron may get another shot but if you are a studio head and had the choice between Greenlighting another Tron movie or another Star Wars movie which one would you choose? And be honest.

If I had to choose between them, it's a no-brainer.

My point is that they don't actually HAVE to choose between them. New Tron had a lot of potential left on the table, far more than I expected Tron 2 to produce. They have CHOSEN to put all their eggs in one basket instead of having two sci-fi franchises running at the same time.

> If I had to choose between them, it's a no-brainer.

If your choice was another Tron you would be kicked off the board. Movie companies like Disney do not care about Art or Craft or anything of the sort, they care about profit and so far Star Wars has profit written all over it while Tron does not. Money (even for Disney) is limited and release dates are a perishable commodity not to be squandered.

I don't think they need to choose between one or the other. They produce Marvel films, Starwars, and Pixar stuff as well as their live action princess thing and films based off of rides things. Tron would fit in with Their remakes as well as rides and belated sequels all in one now.

I don't think they need to choose between one or the other. They produce Marvel films, Starwars, and Pixar stuff as well as their live action princess thing and films based off of rides things. Tron would fit in with Their remakes as well as rides and belated sequels all in one now.

They remake successful things, Tron is not in that category. When the other films don't do well some guy at Disney will get a chance, till then they have a full slate of the other items you mentioned that are doing well.

Tron will get its day in the limelight again, just give it time. I mean Johnny Depp got another shot at reprising his role as the Mad Hatter from Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland in James Bobin's Alice Through the Looking Glass and who was really asking for that?

For Tron, fans might even get lucky and Disney might put a good wide-eyed creative team behind it. I would love to see a sequel that evolves the metaphors behind the fantasy of the original film. I thought legacy was more of a special effects tease without any substance or weight. And given that the real world has seen so many technological advancements between the two Tron films it was disappointing to see mostly fluff.

Yeah. I definitely agree with JB0 on this: there's potential with Tron but only if someone want to develop a real story.

Tron will get its day in the limelight again, just give it time. I mean Johnny Depp got another shot at reprising his role as the Mad Hatter from Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland in James Bobin's Alice Through the Looking Glass and who was really asking for that?

The first Alice movie made much bucks... I seriously doubt we will see a third one however.

I think it was the recent cancellation of the Disney Infinity game that clearly shows how corporate Disney works. Also they wanted Tron to perform far better than it did. Go back and look at the marketing and all the merchandise that was released and also some announced and then quietly cancelled or forgotten about. I don't see Tron 3 happening at all anymore. Star Wars tapped the nostalgia that Disney wanted with Tron. They both basically used the same blueprint of the origin movies.

I got the Tron Legacy Disney Infinity figures on sale at Best Buy. Anyone holding out should probably get those as they might be the last of the Tron figures. Sideshow Collectibles was supposed to make some Premium Format Figures including Quorra and the lightcycle. But they only released the bad guy. Although Hot Toys did make the lightcycle. Tron might just be relegated to the occasional theme park ride now. Which I'm surprised we don't even have a version in the United States. I saw some news and I think an unfinished video of that ride some months ago.

Hey, maybe Tron would have made Disney more money if they'd ever bothered to release Tron: Uprising on DVD and Blu-ray... <_<

They never released that on DVD or Blu-ray? I'm sure they had to. They release everything else.

They never released that on DVD or Blu-ray? I'm sure they had to. They release everything else.

They seriously didn't. Go ahead and try to find it. There are bootlegs, sure, but no official DVD or Blu-ray release. Closest you can get to owning it is to buy the digital episodes from iTunes (which doesn't help me since I de-Appled) or Amazon. Not available on Google Play.

They seriously didn't. Go ahead and try to find it. There are bootlegs, sure, but no official DVD or Blu-ray release. Closest you can get to owning it is to buy the digital episodes from iTunes (which doesn't help me since I de-Appled) or Amazon. Not available on Google Play.

Man, the way they ended that series was criminal.

Disney does a lot of things no one asked for, like the upcoming jungle cruise movie. I just think Tron can still fit in even if it wasn't the big cash cow they expected.

They are still making ride to movie movies? I may have to revise my stance a bit, have any of those things made money after the Haunted House one?