Well, it seems that this film's attempt at Chinese propaganda backfired in China, where it was heavily panned for Angelababy's lackluster performance, as well as shameless plugs of QQ and Mengniu milk. Seriously, didn't these guys learn from Transformers: Age of Extinction that Americans don't really drink that stuff?

China Box Office: Summit Heist Pic Tops Sox Sci-Fi Flick

May the Fourth Be With You!!

Saw the movie today. Could have been better. Could have been worse. Liked it overall, just as a cheesy popcorn flick like the original.

I would hope that we get some of those planes as models. All of them! Loved those bombers and the fighters, and especially liked the anti-grav 'choppers.'

Edited by Thom

Don't let the unkind posts about the movie Stealth fool you; that movie is a guilty pleasure of many members here. Stealth had quasi futuristic planes, dogfighting, a GTO/Monaro, angry Koreans and Jessica Biel in a bikini; that movie is a WIN in my book...

Edited by myk

Regarding Stealth, I watched the trailer on YouTube before watching the movie and going by the trailer alone I expected it to be completely awful.

Then I was surprised that I actually didn't hate the movie. Planes and dogfights weren't bad. The AI as an enemy angle was actually good. It is reminiscent of MPlus, and now, in retrospect, the plot point about corruption seems very NUNS/Grace like.

So if ID:Resurgence is equal to or better, I'll definitely watch it. I found the ending of the first incredibly hoaky, but still had fun watching it.

Don't let the unkind posts about the movie Stealth fool you; that movie is a guilty pleasure of many members here. Stealth had quasi futuristic planes, dogfighting, a GTO/Monaro, angry Koreans and Jessica Biel in a bikini; that movie is a WIN in my book...

True story.... :ph34r:B))

Regarding Stealth, I watched the trailer on YouTube before watching the movie and going by the trailer alone I expected it to be completely awful.

Then I was surprised that I actually didn't hate the movie. Planes and dogfights weren't bad. The AI as an enemy angle was actually good. It is reminiscent of MPlus, and now, in retrospect, the plot point about corruption seems very NUNS/Grace like.

So if ID:Resurgence is equal to or better, I'll definitely watch it. I found the ending of the first incredibly hoaky, but still had fun watching it.

The ending for ID2 is worse... Maybe not as hokey but much dumber.

Now that we've been subjected to much dumber movies for years, Stealth definitely rises in value...

• 2 weeks later...

The planes looked like ass, the dogfights weren't that good and Jessica biel is over rated. Stealth is and forever will be a crap movie.

Edited by anime52k8

Well, it seems that this film's attempt at Chinese propaganda backfired in China, where it was heavily panned for Angelababy's lackluster performance, as well as shameless plugs of QQ and Mengniu milk. Seriously, didn't these guys learn from Transformers: Age of Extinction that Americans don't really drink that stuff?

China Box Office: Summit Heist Pic Tops Sox Sci-Fi Flick

Yeah, i just watched this film (in Canada) the other night and when the mainland China plugs started popping up, there was a collective WTF from people in the theatre. I could actually hear someone say it out loud.

Strangely enough if it didn't get its money from China I'm wondering where it's coming from. It's doing ok (not sure if it's enough for a sequel) with $337 million for a roughly 200 million movie?

Anyone here think they've done enough for another sequel?

Strangely enough if it didn't get its money from China I'm wondering where it's coming from. It's doing ok (not sure if it's enough for a sequel) with $337 million for a roughly 200 million movie?

Anyone here think they've done enough for another sequel?

Those numbers are actually not good. For a film to actually break even, it has to make at least twice its budget. And these days, if a US$200 million film doesn't make a billion at the box office, it's considered a financial failure.

It may have made up the filming cost, but not the marketing costs and that can be just as much.

Hard to find out the marketing costs- but the movie didn't seem to be heavily marketed as some of the other $100+ million movies I feel. Doubt there's a sequel unless they can get over that $400+ mark.

• 5 weeks later...

For a cheesy movie, $383 million isn't too bad. If they got rid of their comic relief characters it wouldn't have been half bad.

Don't know what's with the overreaction about Chinese brand placement- it's not as if America and other multinational brands are bandied around in movies, Bit hypocritical if you ask me. :lol:

If they got rid of their comic relief characters it wouldn't have been half bad.

Finally caught it and this would be my #2 complaint. #1 would some ridiculously bad decision making on the aliens part towards the end.

Don't know what's with the overreaction about Chinese brand placement- it's not as if America and other multinational brands are bandied around in movies, Bit hypocritical if you ask me. :lol:

I would say that the overall incorporation of Chinese stars and dialog, never mind the brands, didn't feel organic, ie it was easy to see that it was glued on as an afterthought and that sort of took me out of the movie.

I'm not against China flexing it's "soft power" culturally, much prefer that to the alternatives, but it, like the comic relief scenes seemed forced and that doesn't serve them nor us the viewers well.

Overall it wasn't horrible. I'd say Stealth is a better movie in lots of ways.

I do look forward to the "humanity in space" set sequels, hopefully with a lot less comic relief and Chinese actors whose dialog and scenes are integral to the plot.

Edited by Mazinger

• 2 months later...

Well, I liked it (it's a guilty pleasure - it wasn't great, but it was fun). Is it me or does anyone see the "Macross-ish-ness" in the earth fighter planes (except for the Alien engine pods slung under the wings). The designers definitely seem to have seen Anime styled sci-fi for Hollywood, which I liked. I've also worked with Barry Chusid, who designed this movie so that sways me a bit.

I also liked Stealth as a guilty pleasure, I loved the fact that they built the planes in real life and that fact lent it great credibility on screen (instead of everything green screened). I have also worked with the Designer Oliver Scholl who designed "Stealth" and specifically, the aircraft and he's a true sci fi guy and a great person to work with (he also designed Edge of Tomorrow) - so that biases me a lot :p

No kidding? The "switchblade" airplane design was the only thing that kept me in my seat while I was seeing Stealth in the theater. Aside from some issues with the air intakes, I thought he did a good job.