Holy crap that looks awesome. Watching that preview tells me enough to get a good grasp of what the plot might/will be:

This plays upon the idea that the world's supply of fresh water is dwindling. Look into it, large corps and the very rich are buying the rights to all the world's fresh water supplies. Combine that with out of control population growth, deforestation, and lack of airable lands with growing topsoil, and you have a receipe for disaster. NASA/IASA/ESA whoever have somehow discovered some form of wormhole or accumbrie drive and plan to send out a crew in search of a new planet to transplant humanity onto. McC is the pilot/engineer who will conduct most of the survery while the rest of the crew is in Cryosleep. This is not a colonization mission, the ship is too small, it is a survery mission. They probably convince him to go by offering his family a seat on the colonization ship once he finds a habitable planet."

The story looks workable, the visuals amazing, I can't wait.

hmm, watched the preview again and I think I was wrong on one point.

The ships does not go faster then light. What we see in the one effect is red shifting. Once something gets close enough to C, all light red shifts out of the visual range of humans. The ship is moving at or close to light speed. They are surveying the closest stars for habitable planets, or confirming some Kepler type findings of habitable planets. I say this because we see a red headed woman in one scene, the one with the burning fields, and she looks to the sky. That is his daughter, years later.

That means we might finally get a movie that deals with time dilation in a realistic manner. Cool. Maybe even cooler than a story that relies on FTL.

NASA/IASA/ESA whoever have somehow discovered some form of wormhole or accumbrie drive and plan to send out a crew in search of a new planet to transplant humanity onto.

The synopsis and press releases already mentions wormholes. The other details are under wraps.

I kinda liked the first teaser better. Goos trailer though looks great but it didnt make me feel excited. Which is what I want to be. Love to see more.

IIRC Nolan didn't reveal that much with the Inception trailers either, and that really worked well for the film. The new trailer isn't flashy (for lack of a better term) and it leaves you wanting more - that's a good thing considering a lot of trailers reveal way too much.

-b.

The new trailer isn't flashy (for lack of a better term) and it leaves you wanting more - that's a good thing considering a lot of trailers reveal way too much.

Isn't that how trailers are suppose to work???

I like to be surprised when I go see a movie, so if a trailer can show me just enough to peak my interest I'm sold vs. trailers like Edge of Tomorrow... I'm pretty sure I just saw the whole movie with that trailer.

That said, I am very excited for this movie and I think will be an amazing experience!

I liked how the tech was downplayed in "Inception", but here it looks under-inspired, like props from a B-grade eighties movie. Seems to aim for the drama crowd, not so much the SF guys.

The Inception trailer also had me hooked instantly with the soundtrack alone, this one does nothing for me. Might still be a good movie.

Holy crap that looks awesome. Watching that preview tells me enough to get a good grasp of what the plot might/will be:

This plays upon the idea that the world's supply of fresh water is dwindling. Look into it, large corps and the very rich are buying the rights to all the world's fresh water supplies. Combine that with out of control population growth, deforestation, and lack of airable lands with growing topsoil, and you have a receipe for disaster. NASA/IASA/ESA whoever have somehow discovered some form of wormhole or accumbrie drive and plan to send out a crew in search of a new planet to transplant humanity onto. McC is the pilot/engineer who will conduct most of the survery while the rest of the crew is in Cryosleep. This is not a colonization mission, the ship is too small, it is a survery mission. They probably convince him to go by offering his family a seat on the colonization ship once he finds a habitable planet."

Agree with you on a guess or two, especially some of the details on the "why" a mission is needed.

hmm, watched the preview again and I think I was wrong on one point.

The ships does not go faster then light. What we see in the one effect is red shifting. Once something gets close enough to C, all light red shifts out of the visual range of humans. The ship is moving at or close to light speed. They are surveying the closest stars for habitable planets, or confirming some Kepler type findings of habitable planets. I say this because we see a red headed woman in one scene, the one with the burning fields, and she looks to the sky. That is his daughter, years later.

That means we might finally get a movie that deals with time dilation in a realistic manner. Cool. Maybe even cooler than a story that relies on FTL.

Jessica Chastain FTW and in the trailer (thought she was awesome in Zero Dark Thirty).

-b.

• 2 months later...

Isn't that how trailers are suppose to work???

Guessing you haven't seen the newest Ninja Turtles trailer. Makes whatever infinitesimal want to see the movie irrelevant. It gives away EVERYthing.

Nolan's name on it made me want to see this movie, the first trailer made me want to see it more. This trailer confirmed IMAX tickets.

• 2 months later...

Not trying to inject too much logic into a sci-fi film or anything; but I feel like developing technologies such as highly efficient solar collectors, ultra low cost water desalination, atmospheric CO2 scrubbers, martian terraforming, building of space colonies and basically every other kind of technology that would stave off the earth becoming uninhabitable to humans would be easier and more likely to happen before we figure out a means of FTL/NLS travel that would allow the surveying and colonization of extrasolar planets.

Edited by anime52k8

Not trying to inject too much logic into a sci-fi film or anything; but I feel like developing technologies such as highly efficient solar collectors, ultra low cost water desalination, atmospheric CO2 scrubbers, martian terraforming, building of space colonies and basically every other kind of technology that would stave off the earth becoming uninhabitable to humans would be easier and more likely to happen before we figure out a means of FTL/NLS travel that would allow the surveying and colonization of extrasolar planets.

Well that's it, no one go see the movie now. :p

-b.

Well they really don't elaborate in the trailer what the global scale environmental disaster is that forces the mission. Still, making Mars habitable would take decades, and large scale CO2 scrubbers, there are serious issues with those in terms of power consumption.

Also, the ship does not appear to have any form of FTL, look at how much the daughter ages, at least 20 yrs, so we have either hibernation or time dilation depending on the speed of the ship. I think from there they will have some plotonium that creates some form of wormhole gate, my guess the walking block thing. I'm going to guess using some form of quantum entanglement wormhole gate, will wait to see though.

• 4 weeks later...

I went to the 70mm IMAX showing last night and came away feeling pretty impressed by the movie. I don't think it is Nolan's strongest movie, but I still loved alot about it. I do think fanboys will be able to poke holes in the story, but I think no movie is immune from that. There are parts that work well while others are rather clunky/hokey or rely too much on convenience to wrap up plot points.

Overall, the physics is accurate, but probably dense for the average viewer, akin to the convolutions of Inception. I feel after reading Spielberg's original script, they could have been a bit more ambitious or epic. The time dilation effect is in full play, but Gunbuster has it beat.

You will be able to tell what parts are inspired by older classic hard scifi movies. Whether you can accept those parts is on you. There are several nail biter parts where you will grip your chair, but also alot of parts where science is being discussed rather than just shown, as Nolan is prone to do.

The music is awesome! I have no complaints over that aspect at all. Zimmer finally went for something different.

Watching it in 70mm was a sight to see as well, and the sound was crazy!

I was really interested in this film till I saw the clip of Matthew's character talking to his daughter's school and how the teacher said the government claims the moon landing was faked :wacko: That ruined it for me so I'll just wait till this comes to FIOS or Netflix.

You're missing out then. What that character says in that scene is in context for that character for her mindset in that world. It is not like all the characters agree with that character, or that Nolan is trying to sell you on some conspiracy theory.

You are dismissing a movie based on what one character says. It would be like not wanting to watch Pulp Fiction because you didn't like what John Travolta's character says about a quarter pounder.

Edited by Seven