All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

I really wish more developers would take a hint from BioShock. You can make a 1st person shooter with a single-player mode that has compelling characters, a fantastic story, and a is worth buying without blowing 90% of your budget on copying Call of Duty's multiplayer.

Anybody watch that 17 minute preview of Battlefield 4? I'm a battlefield fan in general, but that was just amazing, if anything, from a purely technical perspective!

Looks EPIC so far, and once again, a far cry ahead of Call of Duty.

Really does feel like BF3 on steroids. I appreciate the fact that they put up the illuminated reticule on M145 MGO scope (the 3.4x US scope) since it does have a illuminated reticle in the real world. It might actually make that scope more useful than having to work my way to unlock the PK-A scope. And I like the fact that they added the backup iron sights on the side at 45-degrees.

Anybody watch that 17 minute preview of Battlefield 4? I'm a battlefield fan in general, but that was just amazing, if anything, from a purely technical perspective!

Looks EPIC so far, and once again, a far cry ahead of Call of Duty.

Just watched the trailer now... totally apathetic about it. Sure it's visually impressive but nothing in those 17 minutes of gameplay footage made me care at all about the characters, plot or setting of the game. I'm just utterly exhausted with generic, modern military shooters. Even if the graphics are amazing there's nothing compelling about the same boring settings and plot lines and weapons only now their in HD. I want cool settings, unique art styles, and compelling stories/characters.

Most of all I'm sick of games where the campaign is nothing but a 6 hour sequence of set pieces and explosions that only exists to provide a thin thread of logic to justify the environments and equipment they want to throw into multiplayer.

Edited by anime52k8

I was playing really late while tired and completely missed a bunch of gear/infusion caches between

when you get to the grand emporium and when you're looking for tears after you first fight lady Comstock

From what I've seen so far this is an absolutely amazing game. Elizabeth is the best AI partner I've seen in any game ever. she never gets stuck or wanders off; always stays out of your way in combat; never needs babysitting and gives you useful stuff during intense fights. I'm absolutely loving the combat in this game too, I was kind of worried based on the demo's how vigors were going to work, but it's really an improvement over the previous games. having the ability to quick switch between two at a time makes powers a lot more useful outside of supplementing your guns. For some reason based on the demo I thought they would handle it similar to the guns where you only were allowed to carry 2 at a time and had to find new ones in the environment every time you wanted to switch up your combo.

only real gripe is I wish they would give you more ammo for the guns you're using at any given time. It sucks having to ditch my badass shotgun for something junky because nobodies dropping ammo for that gun.

I actually like that guns are a bit limited, but there is a gear that boosts your general ammo count, in addition to picking up upgrades. If you pick up the season pass, you're guarunteed an even bigger ammo boosting gear. One of the gearas also increases enemy drop sof ammo, so there are definately plenty of ways to incrase your firepower. As for the Vigor's, don't forget to mix and match, that's pretty fun to stacking up their abilities.

About the ending

It actually isn't that melancholy, especially when you consider Elizabeth set booker back into a position to be a decent father, and though all the others disappear, the screen fades to black before you can see if she does or not. All in all a very "Orguss" style end, and I dug it too.

I also love going back and watching that first demo trailer, especially since damn near everything there made it into the game in some form or another. As for playtime, I had my runs down to five and a half hours!

I actually like that guns are a bit limited, but there is a gear that boosts your general ammo count, in addition to picking up upgrades. If you pick up the season pass, you're guarunteed an even bigger ammo boosting gear. One of the gearas also increases enemy drop sof ammo, so there are definately plenty of ways to incrase your firepower. As for the Vigor's, don't forget to mix and match, that's pretty fun to stacking up their abilities.

yeah, it wasn't really that big of a deal in the long run. The limited gun selection really puts more emphasis on using vigors and tears effectively which I like. That said, I do really miss the crazy steam punk aesthetic changes that used to accompany the purchase of weapon upgrades.

About the ending

It actually isn't that melancholy, especially when you consider Elizabeth set booker back into a position to be a decent father, and though all the others disappear, the screen fades to black before you can see if she does or not. All in all a very "Orguss" style end, and I dug it too.

I know there's enough ambiguity to imagine that it all ended for the better, but like I said, it's such a tease cutting to black before it gives you the satisfaction of a proper happily ever after.

but you know, I like it that way, it makes it all the more beautiful.

I'm already wondering though; where are they gonna go with DLC add-ons? My season pass says there will be 3 content packs all of which will include more story content with new characters. I'm already really excited to see more of the world, but I'm kind of concerned where the story will go. I'd love to see more Booker and Elizabeth, they're such great characters and it would feel like a wast to not explore more about them, but I worry it'll take away form how nicely crafted and resolved their story was in the main game.

yeah, it wasn't really that big of a deal in the long run. The limited gun selection really puts more emphasis on using vigors and tears effectively which I like. That said, I do really miss the crazy steam punk aesthetic changes that used to accompany the purchase of weapon upgrades.

I know there's enough ambiguity to imagine that it all ended for the better, but like I said, it's such a tease cutting to black before it gives you the satisfaction of a proper happily ever after.

but you know, I like it that way, it makes it all the more beautiful.

I'm already wondering though; where are they gonna go with DLC add-ons? My season pass says there will be 3 content packs all of which will include more story content with new characters. I'm already really excited to see more of the world, but I'm kind of concerned where the story will go. I'd love to see more Booker and Elizabeth, they're such great characters and it would feel like a wast to not explore more about them, but I worry it'll take away form how nicely crafted and resolved their story was in the main game.

Unfortunately, I'm not privy to what the DLC will be, not that it would matter if I was, since I wouldn't be able to say anything anyway. Suffice it to say, I'm quite curious too.

Anyone who wants to argue that games aren't art needs to play BioShock Infinite. I'm still digesting the story (I only found 60-something Voxaphones), but that ending... it was just incredible.

While I agree that Booker and Elizabeth deserve a happy ending, the idea that the entire chain of events could only be undone by Booker's death before Elizabeth was born was is shades of Rod Sterling right there.

I also dig that the ending makes a connection between both it and the original BioShock beginning at a lighthouse

Does a free-world military shooter exist? I'm talking basically Fallout 3/NV or Skyrim with modern weaponry? Mercenaries 1 was close to what I'm looking for, but 2 was a disappointment.

The single player campaigns of battlefield and modern warfare just frustrate me b/c they're basically rail shooters.

Bioshock Infinite is incredible.... the attention to detail put into this game is mind boggling. The art, the soundtrack, everything just snaps together perfectly. The game design reminds me of a classic Disney film... except with lots of gore, headshots, ravens tearing up human flesh, and a dash of sci-fi.

I agree with mikeszekely - this is as much art as it is game.

Need some help with Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY.

Using Win 8 Pro 64-bit + Steam client + updated GFWL. When I start it runs the launcher, but when I click "Play" from there nothing happens? No error messages, not even hidden tasks hanging, nothing... Tried Google, but could not find any workable solution.

So anybody ever had this issue and got it resolved?

Also is there a way to backup DLC downloaded from GFWL, without having to redownload it at later time again. Had to redownload 1.5 GB for the Harley DLC for Bataman Arkham City...

Edited by lechuck

I'm sorry, but you are officially dead to me.

I've now finished the original and Infinite... can we be pals again?

I have a copy of BioShock 2 that I'm going to install and play. I'm just going to wait until the weekend. I've been blowing off my classes to play video games and now I need to catch up.

I've now finished the original and Infinite... can we be pals again?

I have a copy of BioShock 2 that I'm going to install and play. I'm just going to wait until the weekend. I've been blowing off my classes to play video games and now I need to catch up.

yes. ;)

but yeah, I totally blew off school work to get some gaming done this spring break. had to spend the last 24 hours jamming on this book I'm supposed to be butting together for Wednesday. maybe I'll get lucky and have a day or two this weekend to finish up DS3 pure survival and maybe get a second run of infinite going. ^_^

Well, I'm not happy, because 1313 looked pretty sweet, but it's not like it's the end of Star Wars video games. Some of the best Star Wars games of the last decade have been done by external studios, like KOTOR (BioWare), Battlefront (Pandemic), and Lego Star Wars (Traveller's Tales).

Well, I'm not happy, because 1313 looked pretty sweet, but it's not like it's the end of Star Wars video games. Some of the best Star Wars games of the last decade have been done by external studios, like KOTOR (BioWare), Battlefront (Pandemic), and Lego Star Wars (Traveller's Tales).

1313 might be salvageable.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/04/03/lucasarts-rep-says-star-wars-1313-might-be-saved.aspx

Only real reason I paid any attention to LA was the slim hope that a new X-Wing/Tie Fighter game would ever get made.

Maybe now the source code will get leaked, and we can finally tweak all the limitations in Alliance. It's far behind the Freespace 2 engine by this point, but it had one thing I don't think FS2 has ever had: true 3D cockpits.

Does a free-world military shooter exist? I'm talking basically Fallout 3/NV or Skyrim with modern weaponry? Mercenaries 1 was close to what I'm looking for, but 2 was a disappointment.

The single player campaigns of battlefield and modern warfare just frustrate me b/c they're basically rail shooters.

I would say ARMA 2 is the closest you're going to get.

Watched the Battlefield 4 trailer and wasn't impressed. There taking more cues from CoD in terms of ridiculous action sequences and didn't see many differences with what you got in BF3. If I knew DICE wasn't going to tamper with the game constantly to make it more balanced for players that constantly complain, I might be more interested in checking it out. I'll be sticking with BF3 for awhile I think.

Man, I LOVE the battles in bioshock infinite. It's just SO FUN to fight while on the fly via the skyhook, which may I say, is such a simple, but so practical and enjoyable of an implementation. It's like they took bionic commando's idea, but made it fun :)

I really hope we see more FPS get away from the run'n'gun or camp playstyle, and add more creative dynamics like the skyhook, where we start to see FPS meld into platformer.

And this is to say nothing of its amazing story so far. I don't even care if PS4/next xBox games start to come out in 2013, I'm sure BI has it for game of the year in my book.

And this is to say nothing of its amazing story so far. I don't even care if PS4/next xBox games start to come out in 2013, I'm sure BI has it for game of the year in my book.

definitely, Game of the year for sure.

BTW, how many people actually found the guitar easter egg on their first playthrough

in the basement of the graveyard shift bar in shantytown.

I think that was my single favorite piece of character interaction in the whole game, it's kind of surprising that it's fairly hidden.

definitely, Game of the year for sure.

BTW, how many people actually found the guitar easter egg on their first playthrough

in the basement of the graveyard shift bar in shantytown.

I think that was my single favorite piece of character interaction in the whole game, it's kind of surprising that it's fairly hidden.

I did!

I've been thinking about it, and the horror in Infinite is a lot different than in BioShock. It didn't matter where you were or what you were doing in Rapture, the place always felt wrong. That pervading sense of wrongness built a current of tension underneath it all.

In Infinite, it's all about the contrasts. One minute you're enjoying Columbia's breathtaking scenery and enjoying a carnival, the next you're ramming a skyhook through a cop's face. Later you're climbing the tower of an experiment and getting attacked by a giant bird-monster thing, before moments later watching Elizabeth celebrate her freedom by dancing in the evening sun.

yeah, I really love that Columbia felt like a living, functional city compared to Rapture. There's something just surreal about being able to walk the streets of a city and just experience people going about their daily lives, all the while knowing that something decidedly wrong is going on here.