Depending on how Prometheus shows/performs will determine my excitement factor for the new Blade Runner. Right now I'm giddy as hell, but I'm keeping it in check till I see more. But seriously, a Blade Runner using technology and FX from today.........it'll look amazing to say the least.

I'd love a good movie set in the same world as the original, but not necessarily a sequel or a prequel (in that the story directly follows from or leads into "Blade Runner"). I don't want "young Deckard" as the main character or anything. A story that took that path would have to be pretty freakin' spectacular for me to buy in. Rather it be something original, exploring associated themes, than just retreading the same space explored by the first.

Depending on how Prometheus shows/performs will determine my excitement factor for the new Blade Runner. Right now I'm giddy as hell, but I'm keeping it in check till I see more. But seriously, a Blade Runner using technology and FX from today.........it'll look amazing to say the least.

I'd argue that Blade Runner looks better than 99% of the CGI effect laden movies we see today (hell, maybe 100%). But I agree with you about your feelings being dependent on what Prometheus is like. I'm cautiously optimistic.

I just saw the original again yesterday, and today I'm finding out this. I'm excited about it, but a little hesitant in putting all my expectations into it. I hope that Harrison Ford, if he comes back, is only in a supporting role, like an old retired Blade Runner, or something like that.

I just saw the original again yesterday, and today I'm finding out this. I'm excited about it, but a little hesitant in putting all my expectations into it. I hope that Harrison Ford, if he comes back, is only in a supporting role, like an old retired Blade Runner, or something like that.

I don't want Ford anywhere near this sequel/prequel/side-story/whatever. First off, he and Scott have very different views on who Deckard is (granted, it seems to be that Scott is the only one who sees him as a replicant), and secondly, Ford hasn't made a movie worth seeing in well over a decade.

Edited by Duke Togo

I'd love a good movie set in the same world as the original, but not necessarily a sequel or a prequel

Heh.

Good point. "Soldier" was... well... best forgotten and not talked about in the same conversation. ;)

Edited by sketchley

Yeah, well, only writer David Peoples considers "Soldier" to be related to "Blade Runner". Practically, only the mention of the Tannhauser Gate tenuously links the two. At the same time, the list of battles also references "Wrath of Khan", so by that logic it also takes place in the Star Trek universe :lol: . And there are a bunch of medals that refer to other Kurt Russell characters, so the final result is all pretty tongue in cheek. I think most people consider the "Soldier" - "Blade Runner" link a bit of movie trivia and nothing more. I know I do. ;)

Actually, I don't mind "Soldier" as an empty-headed actioner. The odd occurrence of Loreena McKennitt music endears it to me a little, and Kurt Russell on a bad day is still better than a lot of the also-ran action stars we get. :lol:

I'd argue that Blade Runner looks better than 99% of the CGI effect laden movies we see today (hell, maybe 100%).

Hallelujah. It's not the technology that matters, but skill and style. Makes for more entertaining "Behind the Scenes" features, too. :D

Edited by Penguin

Actually, I don't mind "Soldier" as an empty-headed actioner. Kurt Russell on a bad day is still better than a lot of the also-ran action stars we get. :lol:

Pretty much my sentiments exactly.

I'm cautiously optimistic for a new Blade Runner at this point. My expectations are so low for today's movies in general that exceeding them would not be hard. Also who cares about Ford? I want to know if Olmos will be in it B))

I'm going to hold onto my reservations about this. While Ridley Scott has made some of the best films ever (Alien, Blade Runner, Black Hawk Down), he has also been involved in a bunch of clunkers (1492: Conquest of Paradise, Kingdom of Heaven, A Good Year). Heck even Robin Hood was on track to being awesome until he came in and basically rewrote the story into a typical Robin Hood remake (with Higgins Boats, for some reason) and screwed it all up.

I think that this announcement coming on the heels of his re-visitation to the Alien franchise with Prometheus is a bad sign.

I'm going to hold onto my reservations about this. While Ridley Scott has made some of the best films ever (Alien, Blade Runner, Black Hawk Down), he has also been involved in a bunch of clunkers (1492: Conquest of Paradise, Kingdom of Heaven, A Good Year.)

The director's cut of Kingdom of Heaven was pretty good.

Either way, although his overall track record has been inconsistent, all of his scifi movies have been excellent so far. All two of them... ;)

Good point on his track record for sci-fi, although I'd still have to disagree with you on Kingdom of Heaven, even the Director's Cut. I am a medievalist who particularly studies the Crusades, and even then I went into it not expecting anything faithful to history (a la Gladiator) and, even then, I was disappointed.

We'll see how Prometheus pans out but, to be honest, It looks to be the same slow boiler as Alien, and I can't think of how he can improve on the formula. Alien is one of THE BEST horror films ever, even though it is a sci-fi.

I'm not sure yet if I want to see this, but for some reason the re-invigoration of the property is exciting news. I'm thinking A Hot Toys Deckard with a Voight-Kemp Machine and a 1/6 scale spinner... lol.

Now... Describe in single words only the good things that come into your mind about... your mother.

Once a classic should stay a classic. Trying to make something new out of it just comes out as a whim. Take any new work that's following a line of great movies and it's usually been received as average or less-than-average. Take into account that people, who were much younger when they saw the original works, are now older and far more discerning in today's world. Couple that with the gullible kids who don't know their right from their left and think that Patton was a rocket-launcher wielding psycopath in the Revolutionary War (Yes, I have gotten this exact answer when I asked a neighbor kid who do they think Gen. George S. Patton was) and they'll think the remakes are better than the originals.

Edited by Alexander Del Sua

I wonder what kind of product placement will be in this movie. Coke definitely, probably sony, and I'm going out on a limb and saying best buy will make an appearance.

LOL

... which brings up a good point: will there be a product-sponsor curse associated with this new movie?

Once a classic should stay a classic. Trying to make something new out of it just comes out as a whim. Take any new work that's following a line of great movies and it's usually been received as average or less-than-average. Take into account that people, who were much younger when they saw the original works, are now older and far more discerning in today's world. Couple that with the gullible kids who don't know their right from their left and think that Patton was a rocket-launcher wielding psycopath in the Revolutionary War (Yes, I have gotten this exact answer when I asked a neighbor kid who do they think Gen. George S. Patton was) and they'll think the remakes are better than the originals.

okay... I read this and all I can think of is

GOD DAMN KIDS! GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!!! shakefist.gif

I think same universe same time frame different story, no need to explain character ties as new ones will breed their own depth. That way if it sucks we can all just pretend it never happened.

WAKE UP!

TIME to DIE!

:lol:

The only thing that Blade Runner is going to make me die of is boredom.........ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....................ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

:p

Edited by taksraven

I agree that Bladerunner is inspired but the Superdooper editors extra-long widescreen your mums gonna love it version has it's zzzzz bits but it is great for all the footage and music score, often emulated but never surpassed