Predators in 2010

Vermillion21

How is it a challenge for any human hunter who goes on safari hunting big game? In the first movie at least, it was just the one Predator, out in "the wild" with only what he brought with him. In the middle of a war zone, no less, so all the "game" was armed to the teeth, at least as far as our technology went.

Of course, that makes multiple Predators on a game reserve seem pretty cheap. Like, the all talk, not actually very good hunters just heading to the hunting reserve for a weekend. These guys are probably all accountants or something when they're not collecting human skulls.

Accountants. That made me laugh. :lol:

Yeah and also considering human hunters don't go hunting big game with a grenade launcher and machine gun, consider how much more powerful conventional predator weapons could be compared to the ones they use for hunting.

just saw it, i liked it,probably a solid 3/5. good sequel but i felt it didnt really have closure,i dunno,i liked it,but something is stopping from saying it was great.

loved the homages tho,and the credits music lol,like the music in the chopper from pred 1.

also..the pred from the first movie probably could have killed all of those guys.

I didn't think the movie was that bad. I enjoyed it. It was certainly better than the AVP movies anyway.

Sadly, (like the AVP movies) it had so many "homages" to the first one, it started to become annoying. The movie generally succeeded when it did something different. I think it should be a rule to NOT hire fans to do sequels. Instead of thinking outside of the box, many of them turn in to multi-million dollar fan-wanks. This crazed worship of the source material seems to stifle the creativity; and in doing so, it far too often looses what made the original great. The only time something like that has been an asset was in T4, but that was due to everything else sucking.

I'm also still kind of shocked with how small Laurence Fishburne's part was in the movie. It was just a glorified cameo.

1) Doubtful on an alien planet that any of the flaura and fauna would be compatible with human biology (i.e. would likely be inedible to humans), so I guess he likely survived by killing and eating other humans, or eating the their remains after they'ed been killed by Preds.

Topher Grace's character talked about that one plant as if it existed on earth. Maybe some plants of Terran origin made it over there too. Royce and co. were eating something. If it was a soylent surprise, then they weren't aware of it. Or maybe he just stole dead soldiers' rations and MREs over the years... :p

Edited by VT 1010

Topher Grace's character talked about that one plant as if it existed on earth. Maybe some plants of Terran origin made it over there too. Royce and co. were eating something. If it was a soylent surprise, then they weren't aware of it. Or maybe he just stole dead soldiers' rations and MREs over the years... :p

I think they figured it was human meat....i think I saw someone vomitting when they found out the reason they were being smoked and what they had been eating.

As for flora and fauna, shrug. Since preds breathe about the same atmosphere as the one on earth, they might share similar species of flora and fauna.

Even though most people dismiss it, i think Predator 2 was better than this movie. I guess it really comes down to the premise of 2 being more realistic and the fact that 2 added things to the mythology, but nothing really dumb. Taking random warriors and dropping them off on a 'hunting preserve' planet kinda ruins the whole honor/fair-play rule that the predators previously showed. (Am i the only one who is kinda offended that this movie presents some Yakuza gangster as a samurai warrior. Since he's japanese he must know how to wield a sword, right?)

When it comes to the casting of Brody (who i do like as an actor) I get the vibe of another movie trying to be different casting an actor outside of expectations. I suppose in real life soldiers are rarely buff powerhouses like Arnold, but that was part of the charm of Predator, it was an over-the-top 80's action movie. This movie certainly went over the top on everything else, why not try to recapture the charm of 80's action heroes too?

I'm really hating all these sequels, prequels, and reboots of movies i grew up on. Oh cheesus, i hope they don't touch Robocop, the thrid movie already put the franchise on life-support. And yet i'm still hoping Ridley Scott can make something i like with his Alien prequel.

Even though most people dismiss it, i think Predator 2 was better than this movie. I guess it really comes down to the premise of 2 being more realistic and the fact that 2 added things to the mythology, but nothing really dumb. Taking random warriors and dropping them off on a 'hunting preserve' planet kinda ruins the whole honor/fair-play rule that the predators previously showed. (Am i the only one who is kinda offended that this movie presents some Yakuza gangster as a samurai warrior. Since he's japanese he must know how to wield a sword, right?)

I also like Predator 2, a lot.

I didn't mind the scene with the Yakuza using the Katana, in fact I quite enjoyed it. Yes, it's a bit cliched that a Japanese must be able to use one, but who's to say the character didn't have an interest in swordsmanship and maybe practiced Kendo.

Graham

No I haven't.

You mean you've never watched the movie 'Zulu' with Michael Caine? Go and buy or rent it at once!

Graham

I'm also joining the group as a fan of the second one. It stayed true to the spirit of the first one, while still adding to the mythos. And Kendou is very popular in Japan. The Yakuza guy knowing how to use the sword isn't that much of a stretch. Besides, it looked cool.

The last I had heard, the Robocop reboot was having difficulty getting off the ground. I hope it never makes it out of development hell.

While the predators have displayed some "honorable" moments in previous movies, I wouldn't go that far as to call them honorable creatures. They hunt down targets using vastly superior technology. They primarily engage in melee combat while invisible and use powerful energy weapons at range.

To me, they are just like big game hunters. There is nothing honorable about tracking then taking down a lion from yards away with a rifle. It's purely an ego boost to the hunter because they defeated something dangerous even though the playing field was far skewed in the hunters favor.

Edit: spelling

Edited by Rabidweezil

lol that's why I think there should be laws and regulations that prohibit the use of firearms while hunting game lulz... you're not a real bi-testicular hombre until you've tried to take down a rhino with your bare hands with MMA submission maneuvers.

Firearms = easy mode

Edited by Ghost Train

Before there were any more Predator movies produces I thought the "Predator" in the Arnold movie was first the creature, then Arnold. I saw the name of the film as more of a behavior of the characters as opposed to the name of a creature.

Notice the date stamp... I called this.

and the movie was awesome

This movie should have been the first 70% of avatar, then when Jake prays to the planet to save the Na'vi we should see three Predators drop down to the surface. The Predators kill off all the bad guys except Super Marine (with two Preds dying in the conflict). Then Jake defeats Super Marine only to have to go one on one with a Pred... which he kills with his pterodactyl. Roll credits.

This movie should have been the first 70% of avatar, then when Jake prays to the planet to save the Na'vi we should see three Predators drop down to the surface. The Predators kill off all the bad guys except Super Marine (with two Preds dying in the conflict). Then Jake defeats Super Marine only to have to go one on one with a Pred... which he kills with his pterodactyl. Roll credits.

*looks at time stamp*

Isn't it a bit early to be drinking? :huh:

I thought "Predators" was a lot of fun too. Amused that they only reference the first film, although I always enjoyed the second. I appreciated attempt to add to the mythology with the second race, and was very glad there wasn't any reference to AvP, 'cause any reference just would've turned out lame.

Although I'm sure the Predators as a race have other advanced weapons, armour & technology than what is shown in the movies, I imagine that they are perhaps limited by their honor code or hunting code to only using certain types of weapons and technology on hunts, in order to give their prey a fighting chance.

Standing off from a couple of klicks and blasting your enemy with some sort of super-duper, ultimate mega-death ray is hardly sporting now is it?

Yup, that was my impression. We just saw the equivalent of their well heeled with safari hats. These weren't their war fighters.

How is it a challenge for any human hunter who goes on safari hunting big game?

well, something like this would certainly pucker yer arsehole...

or this...

ed: I'm still not gonna go pay to see this movie...looks like utter shite. damn hacks, re-hashing the original.

Edited by reddsun1

or this...

ed: I'm still not gonna go pay to see this movie...looks like utter shite. damn hacks, re-hashing the original.

I always root for the lion when watching these pansies "hunt".

or this...

For the extra challenge, Lions and other game should be equipped with flashbangs set on a random timer lolz... rofl that would be hilarious. Note I'm aware that the animal would be blinded & disoriented too, but if Counterstrike and Modern Warfare has taught me anything is that this situation is more fun when it affects four people (including yourself) in a confined space everyone spraying bullets in panics.

(Obvious sarcasm, do not attempt)

I thought Predators was a a nice addition to the Predator universe. In fact, I probably enjoyed this flick a bit more than Predator 2. Probably because Dark Horse's first Predator comic series did it better. No, we don't get deep into the minds of the hunters and the hunted. And, no, this won't be applauded for its script, but it was fun as hell to watch. You know, one of those kick back, relax, and enjoy the ride kind of movies... I thought the banter between characters worked in most cases, but the doctor's "secret" seemed a tad bit obvious. The convict had some great lines... I'll leave it at that.

I did feel like the story stopped a bit short, however. Certain things could have been expanded upon (more glimpses of glorious Predator action, perhaps?!), but I'm sure there will be a super-cool unrated, extended, bonus scene-riddled DVD release in the near future. Either way, it has done a nice job of rekindling the franchise, in my opinion.

Did anyone happen to read the Dark Horse (I think they still have the rights) prequel comic? I have not... Is it worth a look?

I don't see the big deal. It's better than the trailer spoiling 90% of the film.

You think so? If it is a scene that ends up being deleted, I am sympathetic, but in this case (a shot made just for the trailer but NOT for the final film), I think its closer to outright fraud. Especially when it can be argued that the shot has nothing to do with the final film.

Taksraven

You think so? If it is a scene that ends up being deleted, I am sympathetic, but in this case (a shot made just for the trailer but NOT for the final film), I think its closer to outright fraud. Especially when it can be argued that the shot has nothing to do with the final film.

Taksraven

Fair enough. Personally though, I (as someone who hasn't actually SEEN the movie yet) don't feel like the scene is misrepresenting the nature of the film, even if it doesn't depict it's content. I watch that scene and the impression I get is "some people gonna get reap'd by Predators" which (based on everything else I've seen/heard about this film so far) is pretty much the movie.

as long as the trailer communicates the general spirit of the movie, I'm fine with them using original footage. I honestly think it's MUCH better and less deceptive than a trailer that uses only scenes from the film, but edits them together in such a way as to imply a viewing experience that's completely different from the movie you go to see.

You guys are being way too picky... The trailer is supposed to get you to see the movie. I don't care how misleading it is, if the film is good.