Toynami:

Well I just watched the SC yesterday and after seeing it I was wondering when Toynami would make the Alphas available again with the new paint schemes and then BAM on MW here s the new thread. The Cyclones look nice but looks very much like the oldschool version. While the black/purple Maia Sterling Alpha looks o.k., I don't need anymore Alphas, I want a Beta especially after so much screen time in the movie.

Toynami's showing off the Beta again to help push sales of the new Shadow Chronicles Alpha toys. Remember when Toynami did this exact same thing during the initial run of the MPC Alpha's?

I can see it now...

Toynami: "And these new Shadow Chronicle Alphas will be able to combine with our upcoming Beta!"

after the all the SC Alphas have been released

Toynami: "Gee, sorry guys but it looks like we won't be able to release the Beta for X, Y, and Z reasons (suckers!)"

<_<

Yeah, a wait-and-see attitude is definitely called for. I don't think they would have bothered to show it if they weren't at least considering mass-producing it. But, this wouldn't be the first toy shown at toy fair that never got made. For example, Bandai showed a ton of zeta gundam toys for the domestic market a few years back, and many of those disappeared into the void.

I'm happy to see it again! Looks great to me! (unlike those minibikes that pass for cyclones ;) )

Well, according to figures.com, they're finally going to release the beta later this year:

http://www.figures.com/databases/action.cg...le=109&nl=1

usual disclaimers: figures.com sometimes pulls stuff out of their asses, and even if Toynami is really saying this, it don't mean it'll happen. Believe it when you see it.

Call me a sucker, but I'm a little more hopeful now :)

(as an aside, JoshB at CollectionDX.com had an interview with Toynami yesterday, so I'm hoping he'll give us all a scoop on the Beta situation sometime soon)

For crying out loud. Why is there even a question of "Interest"? Fans of Mospeda/ Robotech NG have a high probability of wanting a Beta. Alphas and Cyclones are still somewhat available on the third-party markets, but a Beta is impossible to find. It's a silly question, the interest is there to be tapped.

The real question that should be asked is how cheaply Toynami can make it while sustaining value for money. $150 USD is a lot to ask for, even factoring in for the size, so the functionalities/ features of the Beta had to be fairly complete and accurate. If Toynami is not capable of doing it -- and by no means am I saying they can't at the moment, I hope they can -- then they really have to think seriously about their marketing strategy.

Frankly speaking, I wish Toynami would just stop the "high end toy selling for $$$" approach. I would even settle for a cheaper, less accurate Alpha/ Beta somewhat along the line of Banpresto stuff. This is even more so when we are talking about the enemies, especially the "hive/ horde" mentality that Inbits and say, Zentradi had.

Speaking of which, just when is anyone ever going to give the Inbits some love? We got good human stuff, but they still need something to fight. I'd love to see a properly scaled Gurab to pose with the Alpha..

Edited by Lynx7725

they should release 1/100 scale alpha and betas, atleast the quality would be somewhat better. :lol:

as i said in the past, if they make it everyone would buy it as they would be the only game in town.

only game in town = $$$$

its not like you can take your business elsewhere(even if its a POS) if theres nowhere else to go...cha-ching!

Edited by do not disturb

Speaking of which, just when is anyone ever going to give the Inbits some love? We got good human stuff, but they still need something to fight. I'd love to see a properly scaled Gurab to pose with the Alpha..

Aye, so true.. and they could do them cheaply, as 'superposeable' toys, since they don't transform.. if only we ran the toy companies. :lol:

they should release 1/100 scale alpha and betas, atleast the quality would be somewhat better.

I think Toynami's "morpher" alphas are practically 1/100 scale. For the record, for little morpher toys the Alphas are kinda cool (much better than the VF-1 morphers)! Better than Gakken's 1/72 series even. Now, if Toynami made an Alpha jokemachine... that'd be the lick. Me and like 2 other people would totally buy Alpha jokemachines... I wonder why they won't make 'em...

I think Toynami's "morpher" alphas are practically 1/100 scale. For the record, for little morpher toys the Alphas are kinda cool (much better than the VF-1 morphers)! Better than Gakken's 1/72 series even. Now, if Toynami made an Alpha jokemachine... that'd be the lick. Me and like 2 other people would totally buy Alpha jokemachines... I wonder why they won't make 'em...

Make that three other people.

If they were the quality of the jokemachines I'd be all over 'em. The morphers are pretty nice in battloid, but not so good in fighter mode.

More mixed messages: word from collectiondx is that Toynami is just 'gauging interest' in the beta. They mentioned a possible price of 150. Looks like more waiting-and-seeing for us.

TOYNAMI: I'M INTERESTED !

I guess they don't frequent this board (Hell, even people on the RT.com board have been clamoring for this thing for YEARS).

Either that, or they just have me on their "Ignore" list! :p

Edited by Mog

• 3 months later...

And out of the rubble, I revive this semi-old thread. :blink:

I picked up this article today and thought it was quite interesting. Apparently, the lackeys at HG are now making announcements of the official Beta release, of course with no dates given on it.

So, does that mean early next year, or 22 years like what they did with their part 2?

http://sdf5x.blogspot.com/

Craptastic, I hope it is display worthy. :D

Edited by Jasonc

They've been officially releasing that thing for quite a few years now. I'll believe it when I see it. Then again, most of us have moved on and don't care anymore, so whatever...

So Aoshima took over the design of the Beta. That sounds promising. Toynami proved they just can't do it. Maybe we even get a convincing linkup feature.

I think you're reading too much into this. I don't think Aoshima "took over" anything but is rather collaborating with Toynami and potentially assisting in the actual production. The Beta prototype is still Toynami's product so Toynami gets the design credit (or discredit if the thing sucks).

I wonder if robotech.com will sell those as mospeada toys on the site?

While certainly possible, I kind of doubt they'll go that route. It might encourage would-be Toynami consumers on future product to hold off in the hopes of an Aoshima variation (different paint scheme or something) being released later. Also, RT.com still has Toynami Alphas in stock so I'm not sure how eager they'd be to get more of such a similar product in stock. That said, if anyone thinks it'll make a buck (beyond Aoshima) then it'll probably happen.

I think you're reading too much into this. I don't think Aoshima "took over" anything but is rather collaborating with Toynami and potentially assisting in the actual production. The Beta prototype is still Toynami's product so Toynami gets the design credit (or discredit if the thing sucks).

There you are :lol:

I'm not saying I believe Aoshima is doing the whole toy again. I think the final product will still have the looks of the protos we all know. The interesting thing here is that the Beta engeneering seems to be in early stages (e.g. crappy hip joint), unlike the Alpha. That might allow Aoshima to have some input in that area. At least I hope so.

I'd like at least one Beta for my Scott, if it happens to be a decent toy.

Edited by Lonely Soldier Boy

My hope is that Aoshima has more input and that you're right in your observations. This being Toynami, my expectation is a bit lower :( I'm sensing that Toynami has just realized that a slight repaint to match up to the Aoshima product could make this toy more profitable and more worth making. The hip joint is an interesting puzzle at the moment... man if this thing has hips with ball joints it's going to be a ton of fun (provided the feet ar nimble enough to work with them).

Sorry jenius, but I really hope you're wrong about Toynami doing "a slight repaint to match up to the Aoshima product."

The last thing I want is a color-mismatched Alpha and Beta.

And I absolutely REFUSE to buy another one of these particular Alpha/Legioss just so I can have a matching Alpha/Beta combo in that bright blue metalic color.

Does Toynami really want to give me yet another reason NOT to buy their products?

But then again, until we get a firm and definite date/announcement, I'm taking anything I hear from Toynami and/or HG with a massive grain of salt.

The last thing I want is a color-mismatched Alpha and Beta.

I meant to say that Aoshima will sell the slightly differently colored "Tread" version but Toynami will sell the standard Beta in the same colors as the existing alpha. If you wanted to make a mismatched Alpha/Tread I'm sure you could but I don't think anyone is going to have to worry about that accidentally happening or not having a choice to avoid it. More variations = more easy money. For example, I'll probably have all of the Aoshima Legioss/Treads to go with all my Toynami Alpha/Betas. Sweet :)