Macross TV Dub

Pat Payne

The only reason to listen to the dub is to hear Mari, there's nothing else redeeming there. It just amazes me that no one else pays attentio to how she "properly" pronunces all proper names.

I slapped myself across the face for even plondering on buying the box set since that's all they offer at work. lol weird huh? I didn't buy Macross but I instead bought Gundam Seed Destiny Boxset........well......GSD's dub is much better then the Macross one.

Well, I was horrified at first. I now have volume two and I was praying that Hikaru's voice would "mature" and he would stop sounding like an adult trying to sound like a 16-year-old wide-eyed teenager.

But, I stand corrected, I'm now listening to the commentary on Volume 2 and the voice actor for Hikaru actually sounds like that. So. . . he's not trying to sound like anything. He's just using his own natural voice.

If you ever want to get over the voices and the "Muh-Cross" pronunciation, my only advice is to put it on in the background while doing something else. After a while, the voices don't grate as much. . . though, I still cringe at times and I'll never get quite used to "Muh-cross."

I'll always prefer the original Japanese, but, having had the english voices in my living room for a couple hours, they're not quite as bad as I originally thought. Though, everyone (especially Exedol and some other Zentraedi) seem a lot more excitable and emotive than they were in the original Japanese.

Best,

H

I'll always prefer the original Japanese, but, having had the english voices in my living room for a couple hours, they're not quite as bad as I originally thought.  Though, everyone (especially Exedol and some other Zentraedi) seem a lot more excitable and emotive than they were in the original Japanese.

Best,

H

390336[/snapback]

I noticed that too. In Japanese most tactical discussions were more matter of fact as though, "we've done all this before..." attitude was in play.

I still think the RT actor who played Breetai was a closer voice match than this ADV actor.

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this board, so I was wondering if I was posting in the right thread. I searched the board, but I couldnt find if this topic has been adressed.

I recently went to Hong Kong and bought this huge macross VCD pack 1-18 and 19-36... However, translation is only available in Mandarine and Cantonese on those.

My question was, is there anywhere were I can get an English translation of those?

Thanks!!

I recently went to Hong Kong and bought this huge macross VCD pack 1-18 and 19-36... However, translation is only available in Mandarine and Cantonese on those.

My question was, is there anywhere were I can get an English translation of those? 

391117[/snapback]

You want an English translation of your VCDs? Mkay......I don't think we can help you out there....

You can get the DVDs of Macross (like the ones we're talking about in this thread, which also have a dub) from most online DVD retailers. Otherwise, you can always shop around on Ebay for the older Animeigo versions which are subtitled in english. I suggest getting the current ADV DVDs.

You want an English translation of your VCDs? Mkay......I don't think we can help you out there....

You can get the DVDs of Macross (like the ones we're talking about in this thread, which also have a dub) from most online DVD retailers. Otherwise, you can always shop around on Ebay for the older Animeigo versions which are subtitled in english. I suggest getting the current ADV DVDs.

391159[/snapback]

Thanks, I will check that out! Although, they are watchable and still a very complete set, I I dont really mind not having any translation at all.

• 1 month later...

Anyone get Vol. 3 today? I was impatient and ordered it online and it should be here tomorrow.

Which isn't soon enough for my friend, apparently! She was hanging out with some friends of hers, and one of them had the Robotech:The Macross Saga box set. It took a bit of explaining for her which DVDs she had watched with me, and denounced the Robotech series as "fake" because "I saw the REAL Macross." :ph34r:

hah that's funny...."I Saw the REAL Macross".......she didn't watch it in english did she?

400024[/snapback]

Whether the dub is to your liking or not...the ADV english dub is a "real" version of Macross, while Robotech's version is butchered.

I bet if I had done what I wanted to do a couple years ago, I'd have the Animeigo sets and I'd be complaining about the dub. But I'm 100% positive those who I got into Macross would never watch a subbed show. "MUHcross" has grown on me :p

EDIT: Got Vol. 3 today...not quite as many extras as before, but there's a segment called "Mari on Stage" that looks different than the previous interviews. It tells a longer version of her story and shows us some of her early songs. I was waiting for her to discuss ai oboiteimasuka but it said "to be continued"...Oh yeah, and the dub is great too :p Vol. 4 can't come soon enough!

Edited by Lacerta

For those who are wanting to pick up Volume 3 at their local Best Buy, even if the disc isn't listed as being in stock at your local store as posted by Best Buy's website, give them a call or stop in anyway.

None of the local Omaha area Best Buys had it listed in stock this past week or so since it officially came out. When I stopped in at one of them last night, I found one copy... typically when a Best Buy's stock of something is at a quantity of one, the Best Buy website will have that store listed as unavailable.

So I'm guessing that a lot of Best Buys are only ordering 1 or 2 discs of each of the Macross volumes?

The only reason to listen to the dub is to hear Mari, there's nothing else redeeming there. It just amazes me that no one else pays attentio to how she "properly" pronunces all proper names.

389907[/snapback]

I think they know, they are just too arrogant or stupid to learn... <_<

The sad part is that even RT pronounces the name "Macross" correctly... :blink:

Edited by Zinjo

So I'm guessing that a lot of Best Buys are only ordering 1 or 2 discs of each of the Macross volumes?

401888[/snapback]

That seems about right. The one near me only orders 2 when it is released, as I looked over the guys shoulder when I was asking him when they would get more in. The biggest problem is that only 2 isn't enough because some other fans gobble them up before I can get there. My Best Buy only has 2 Vol. 1 on the shelves.

389907[/snapback]

I think they know, they are just too arrogant or stupid to learn... <_<

The sad part is that even RT pronounces the name "Macross" correctly... :blink:

401913[/snapback]

No, Robotech had it wrong too, ADV's dub just has it "more" wrong.

I'm willing to bet that ADV Films will have the entire English-dubbed Macross series released by the end of the year. Talk about the perfect present for the holiday season.  :D

401898[/snapback]

Actually that would be very cool since the last episodes of Macross take place during Christmas. To have those last episodes out that time of year would be great.

i finally saw macross tv series again (the animeigo version) from disc 6 to disc 9. when i first bought the set (four years ago)and watched it, i was a little disappointed from the episode after the big battle. i think i expected more from it like more crazy fighting and stuff. so, several days ago i was bored, so i decided to watch it again. i kind of appreciate the show a little more because it kind of show that battle is not all that great and there's more to life than war. i kind of think that macross is actually a good show if you cut out the inconsistency of the drawing quality (you really have to ignore that). when i was a kid growing up in thailand, i saw the macross tv series (the real deal, not robotech) from the beginning til the episode that max and miria was about to get married. but then my grades were slipping and my grandma scolded me and i wasnt allowed to watch any tv til the summer. so, i really never watched the whole entire show til my college year when a friend let me borrow the robotech macross series. i really didnt like the robotech macross series at all. i kind of fast forwad most of the episodes. i think i am really glad to be able to own the actual japanese dub version of macross. this set is just priceless. kyasu :D

Waded through the last six pages, but didn't see an answer to what I am about to ask. Just wanted to double check that the ADV Macross Dub still allows you to see the Japanese original show with English subtitles. Also if this is so, are the subtitles updated or the same as the Animeigo set?

Edited by Dax415

Waded through the last six pages, but didn't see an answer to what I am about to ask.  Just wanted to double check that the ADV Macross Dub still allows you to see the Japanese original show with English subtitles.  Also if this is so, are the subtitles updated or the same as the Animeigo set?

403510[/snapback]

Yes, they also have Japanese language with English subtitles. I've checked the first few minutes from the first episode and the subtitles aren't exactly the same as the Animeigo ones, but they're pretty damn close. Thankfully, they aren't just subs of the new English dialogue.

Waded through the last six pages, but didn't see an answer to what I am about to ask.  Just wanted to double check that the ADV Macross Dub still allows you to see the Japanese original show with English subtitles.  Also if this is so, are the subtitles updated or the same as the Animeigo set?

403510[/snapback]

Yes, they also have Japanese language with English subtitles. I've checked the first few minutes from the first episode and the subtitles aren't exactly the same as the Animeigo ones, but they're pretty damn close. Thankfully, they aren't just subs of the new English dialogue.

403532[/snapback]

Best to watch and compare the ADV subtitles to the AnimEigo ones to see which ones are better.

From the little I've seen, they are almost identical, but there are some very minor differences. For example, the line in the Animeigo set reads, "We will now present an aerobatics demonstration performed by our newest, most powerful Valkyrie fighters." The ADV line reads, "We will now present an aerobatics demonstration performed by the newest, most powerful of fighters: the Valkyrie!" See, nothing major. Just a little bit of difference in the way some of the lines are phrased. I'd check more, but frankly I bought the ADV discs for the sole purpose of not having to read the subtitles.

well, one thing is for sure, you will get a superior picture quality from the animeigo set.  i heard the adv set is horrible. kyasu

403665[/snapback]

As far as I can tell, the Animeigo and ADV sets have the same restored footage. They both look the same on my TV and are leaps and bounds above the grainy, dull colors of Homotech.

Edited by Die, Alien Scum!

From the little I've seen, they are almost identical, but there are some very minor differences. For example, the line in the Animeigo set reads, "We will now present an aerobatics demonstration performed by our newest, most powerful Valkyrie fighters." The ADV line reads, "We will now present an aerobatics demonstration performed by the newest, most powerful of fighters: the Valkyrie!" See, nothing major. Just a little bit of difference in the way some of the lines are phrased. I'd check more, but frankly I bought the ADV discs for the sole purpose of not having to read the subtitles.

403586[/snapback]

Actually, it seems that there are some other minor changes, some of them which seem to be better (at least from my perspective). The only one that actively changes a line from the AE version is a line spoken by Hikaru while he and Minmay are trapped in his fanracer. In the AE version, after Hikaru discovers the air leak, and Minmay asks him what the hising noise is, he says "Well, it's not an alarm clock, that's for sure." The ADV line is "Well, it's probably nothing to worry about," or a line to that effect, IIRC.

Also, it seems that the video is slightly different, in that it removes a couple of "blips" in the AE version, including one where in the AE version of "First Contact," during the pan across the destroyed radar room, there was an inexplicable split-second ghost version of Hikaru and Minmay's tent from episode four.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm willing to bet that ADV Films will have the entire English-dubbed Macross series released by the end of the year. Talk about the perfect present for the holiday season.  :D

401898[/snapback]

Does anyone know the official release schedule for the rest of the DVDs? Vol. 4 is due July 11...which to me makes a Christmas release unlikely.

Here's my estimate for the remaining releases:

Sept 12-Vol. 5

Nov 14- Vol. 6

Jan 16- Vol. 7

If the voice work is good I'll probably pick it up.

406897[/snapback]

Sadly, it is by no means good... but I'm only buying these for Mari's performance, anyway. And, I suppose these DVDs could be used to get any children I may decide to have into Macross down the road.

Though I'll constantly correct them if they ever ask to watch Muh-cross. :unsure::o:p