The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

Hot Toys uses it in everything. It's cool for a single photo op, and adds a little bit of flare to a toy.

But sacrificing articulation for a gimmick like this is a little Iffy for me. It's ok for HT and X-plus Godzilla stuff because they are more toward the statue end of the specturm... but for Transforming robots, it's a pain in the butt.

Plus you have to worry about battery decay.

I'd prefer paint apps and articulation over LEDs and sound any time.

Hot Toys uses it in everything. It's cool for a single photo op, and adds a little bit of flare to a toy.

But sacrificing articulation for a gimmick like this is a little Iffy for me. It's ok for HT and X-plus Godzilla stuff because they are more toward the statue end of the specturm... but for Transforming robots, it's a pain in the butt.

Plus you have to worry about battery decay.

I'd prefer paint apps and articulation over LEDs and sound any time.

agree

-b.

Ugh. The head on top of the spaceship/hoversled. That's one of the most obnoxious things you can do with a Transformer, is just leave the head sticking out.

I know, existing design, faithful to the source. That doesn't make it any less egregious, just VINTAGELY egregious.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Ugh. The head on top of the spaceship/hoversled. That's one of the most obnoxious things you can do with a Transformer, is just leave the head sticking out.

I know, existing design, faithful to the source. That doesn't make it any less egregious, just VINTAGELY egregious.

was thinking the exact same thing. bot mode is cool. this mode is the stupidest looking thing. i rather have scourge w/ his head out in flight mode so he can talk to galvatron. :p

Oh, what is this dangling on the underside of your Chunky Monkey? A laser turret!!! :D

It look great. Can't wait to have it in hands. I wonder if it has attachment for a combined mode as well. :)

Star Saber isn't the first strange transformer space ship in recent history to have a peek-a-boo head on top. :)

post-5492-0-37247400-1410911769_thumb.jpg

But I'm surprised at how much Star Saber is growing on me. Is he still coming out in March? There's been a lot of press lately and he looks ready to go. In comparison, I have heard almost no news on Ultra Magnus. Perhaps that has more to do with the fact the MP-24 won the popular vote?

Are there any star saber repaints out there we can expect TT to make in masterpiece form? I looked around but couldn't find any and I doubt TT would use a mold only once. Pretty much the only thing stopping me from a pre order is the hope of a better color scheme :lol: . Also smart use of the shield as a stand, great idea!

Chances we'll also get Victory Leo?

Saber needs his boots and backpack.

The connections seem to be there... so here is hoping.

I'm sure Yuki wants it as much as he loves SS.

There is an "evil" Star Saber that is black, turqoise, and purple. Idk

Oh, what is this dangling on the underside of your Chunky Monkey? A laser turret!

Indeed. Fortunately, I've never said the Takatoku Valk was perfect, or even that the VF-1 was.

It IS worth noting that the VF-1 turrethead is most annoying in the 1S variant, where it looks most like a head.

I think it's a pretty sill complaint, especially in terms of Macross.

The fictional "job" of the guy who designed the VF-1J wasn't to "hide the head", it was to provide a Jet that could function in different modes. The toys just mirror the fictional reality, within reason.

The head lasers can function as anti-ground fire or forward fire, or potentially twist and fire backwards.

Transformers kind of... design themselves for whatever reason, but having a big turret that moves out in space has to be handy when you're fighting off destrons.

We had them in real life too:

North_American_B-25_Mitchell.JPG

Why NOT use a head as a mobile flak device.

It's just smart design IMO

Edited by Gakken85

So I ordered some replacement parts for my MP-09B Evil Destron Doppelgaenger from http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-knee-repair-parts-Applicable-for-Transformers-mp09-Hot-Rod-Rodimus-Prime/271576557689?_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109&_trkparms=aid%3D555012%26algo%3DPW.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131231084308%26meid%3Dc34a71ee2c634755b96836f33efe5cda%26pid%3D100010%26prg%3D20131231084308%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D24%26sd%3D390910792082

$_12.JPG

They are pretty nice and my Rodimus is able to stand on his own once again. I had to to some tinkering to get the fit well which includes trimming the springs a bit to release tension from the joint.

Sadly I noticed that the upper shin part of the leg where the cracks first appeared (and which I tried to fix with a washer) has a crumbled inner peg where the screw goes in. So I probably won't transform him into alt-mode anymore.

Does anyone know if I can stabilize the part where the screw goes in? It is the one right below the knee joint you can see on the image.

Edited by Scyla

Props must be given for using footage of the B-25 Mitchell to illustrate your point, Gakken.

Edit: I folded today. Surfin' Saber is too cool to pass up.

Your journey to the dark side is complete.

Glad to hear your Rodimus can stand up Scyla.

Edited by Gakken85

Your journey to the dark side is complete.

Glad to hear your Rodimus can stand up Scyla.

The MP-09 is such a nice toy I only wished that the manufacturing tolerances had kept up with the design. :(

[edit:] This seller offers several other replacement parts for MP-09. So it might be worth checking out if you have a crumbled shoulder or ankle.

Edited by Scyla

But we're not talking about realistic or practical designs here, we're talking about fictional sentient robots from an 80's cartoon show for children. The only thing that matters is "does it look cool." And to that I say, no, having a giant head sticking out of your alt mode does not look cool, it looks stupid.

Edited by anime52k8

Bee!!

But we're not talking about realistic or practical designs here, we're talking about fictional sentient robots from an 80's cartoon show for children. The only thing that matters is "does it look cool." And to that I say, no, having a giant head sticking out of your alt mode does not look cool, it looks stupid.

From what I've seen of Transformers Victory, Star Saber is accurate. I guess he may be disappointing if one prefers his revised IDW look (been doing more research). Personally, I wasn't sure about the whole figure at first, but I do think Saber is groovy in his alt mode. The latest color shots sealed the deal on that opinion. Since the V-Star is like power armor for Saber, I can look past some of the goofiness there. Ultra Magnus also has goofy stray bits attached, but these are Transformers. There are always peek-a-boo parts to be found somewhere.

I think it's a pretty sill complaint, especially in terms of Macross.

The fictional "job" of the guy who designed the VF-1J wasn't to "hide the head", it was to provide a Jet that could function in different modes. The toys just mirror the fictional reality, within reason.

The head lasers can function as anti-ground fire or forward fire, or potentially twist and fire backwards.

Transformers kind of... design themselves for whatever reason, but having a big turret that moves out in space has to be handy when you're fighting off destrons.

We had them in real life too:

North_American_B-25_Mitchell.JPG

Oh man, now I want a B-25 Transformer where the turret forms the head! ^_^