The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

Not even going to pretend like I understood most of what was discussed over the past few posts with regard to the Japanese Transformer series or even the color of Rumble or Frenzy, but I will say that Space Brick Saber Gundam is up for pre-order on AmiAmi, along with Exhaust (damn, why are Transformer names so lazy??? :blink:).

http://slist.amiami.com/top/search/list?s_seriestitle=Transformers+Masterpiece&pagemax=20

-b.

Damn he's already sold out. Cheaper than HLJ too.

The show was a commercial for several toy lines, mashed together and given a vague and working back story by marvel comics. And even they didn't care enough to make it consistent. Taking any of it that seriously is futile.

Transformers are purely a personal and changing experience.

But if you asked me the toys came first. Always did. So they are canon. Then the show, then the comics.

Even with TF the movie, they wrote the script to make way for new toys.

Prime died to sell you shitty blur toys.

Keep that in mind the next time you roll out your twin twist.

Edited by Gakken85

Guest davidwhangchoi

But if you asked me the toys came first. Always did. So they are canon. Then the show, then the comics.

but the toys didn't come first. the comics did. look back at my previous posts showing the first transformer commercial ever.

Idk, maybe the comics came out first before the toys were actually released, but the toy lines in japan existed before the comics.

Hasbro had to get them ready and repackage them, but they were still first.

I didn't start reading comics until I stopped playing with Transformers. It was just a different age group.

I think I was 9 or 10 before I really got into comics and I was already putting down transformers and toys in general.

It's all revisionists because it wasn't based off any singular work.

Edited by Gakken85

Idk, maybe the comics came out first before the toys were actually released, but the toy lines in japan existed before the comics.

Hasbro had to get them ready and repackage them, but they were still first.

Going by that logic, the canon colors would be the Diaclone colors, and Sunstreaker is red.

Well as long as you're not all arguing about the shade of red... :p

Forgot to mention/post that I found and purchased Toys R Us Masterpiece Prowl the other day, price, ridiculous price and over-sized box be damned - I was happy with the "find" and pulled the trigger.

-b.

Japan TF wannabe superfan. jk ;)

no way i'm getting spacebrick. there are so many people starving in the world.

just kidding around :D anyways, congrats on pre ordering both.

I probably ditch Exhaust because I prefer Wheeljack with the Alitalia logo. If Exhaust had proper Marlboro markings I probably would feel different about it.

Talking about OCD If I would have two toys of the Wheeljack mold I would feel obligated to buy all the variants of the existing Masterpiece molds.

[edit:] I hope Wheeljack comes out this month. I have a stack of Gunpla in my PW that I need to ship now that the rainy and cold days are coming. ^_^

Edited by Scyla

Well as long as you're not all arguing about the shade of red... :p

Forgot to mention/post that I found and purchased Toys R Us Masterpiece Prowl the other day, price, ridiculous price and over-sized box be damned - I was happy with the "find" and pulled the trigger.

-b.

Jenius reviewed it. Looks like it was a fairly solid release. Only difference he could find was a slightly lighter logo on the doors and a bit of arm looseness.

Wheeljack payments will probably hit late next week.

Update of sabers paint job. Looks really good.

da3c08ee06d9fc1fb0e55c2dd3bd3847_zps08b7

Edited by Gakken85

Cool, thanks Gakk. I probably won't open him, I haven't opened a MP Transformer since the TRU Rodimus I picked up years ago. They're all sitting nicely in a closet, MISB (take that MISB haters). B))

Why does that one above have the head of a younger looking Ultra Magnus?

-b.

Cool, thanks Gakk. I probably won't open him, I haven't opened a MP Transformer since the TRU Rodimus I picked up years ago. They're all sitting nicely in a closet, MISB (take that MISB haters). B))

It's not that I hate MISB, it's that I like to play with my toys. Hard to do that when they're still in a box.

but the toys didn't come first. the comics did. look back at my previous posts showing the first transformer commercial ever.

Toys came first. They were given to Marvel to create the fiction for them. From TFWiki:

In late 1983, Hasbro approached Marvel Comics to create a storyline around a series of transforming toy robots they had licensed from Takara.

They already had the toys. They needed names and a story to sell them. So correct order is

Toys

Comics

Cartoon.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Toys came first. They were given to Marvel to create the fiction for them. From TFWiki:

In late 1983, Hasbro approached Marvel Comics to create a storyline around a series of transforming toy robots they had licensed from Takara.

They already had the toys. They needed names and a story to sell them. So correct order is

Toys

Comics

Cartoon.

???

not sure if serious

Toys

Comics

Cartoon.

Transformers didn't exist until the fiction was created and circulated to the public. That would make the comics first. And, if we're using the Transformers' first arrival as canon, it would mean that Jazz is actually orange and has his legs fused together.

th_TF1_zpsec853064.jpg

Edited by RD Blade

Because he's Saber, and he's chilling haha

Oh, well that explains it then! Was going to ask (tongue in cheek of course) why that Gundam had an Autobot faction symbol on it, but honestly wanted to know what that dude looked like Magnus.

It's not that I hate MISB, it's that I like to play with my toys. Hard to do that when they're still in a box.

Sorry, wasn't really thinking of anyone in particular. I just know from the comments in the Toys section that for some reason people get kind of uppity and judgmental with regards to playing with high priced collectibles vs. those of us that actually enjoy collecting for the sake of it.

-b.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Transformers didn't exist until the fiction was created and circulated to the public. That would make the comics first. And, if we're using the Transformers' first arrival as canon, it would mean that Jazz is actually orange and has his legs fused together.

th_TF1_zpsec853064.jpg

+1000

Sorry, wasn't really thinking of anyone in particular. I just know from the comments in the Toys section that for some reason people get kind of uppity and judgmental with regards to playing with high priced collectibles vs. those of us that actually enjoy collecting for the sake of it.

-b.

Not me, man. Whatever floats your boat.

th_TF1_zpsec853064.jpg

Your'e kind of defeating your own point. The comics didn't even TRY to be consistent, so why call it canon.

They had a guy filling in backstory as they went to justify bringing in the new toy lines, and that's about the extent of it.

A guy wasn't sitting around dreaming up these forms and writing these comics on his own. A Hasbro exe saw some toys at a toy expo and said, "lets bring these over and hire these bozos to make it make sense."

Toys came first :D

As for why it Saber looks like maguns.. Idk. The same reason Optimus primes face looks like a Gundam. It's just shorthand for hero Mechs. Some symbols and styles just keep getting repeated.

Edited by Gakken85

Guest davidwhangchoi

don't know about canon... but the toys did not come first. (i'm mean let's stop saying obvious things on how these were created to market the toys. we know.. we know) it's funny, i posted a while back a link for the origins of G1 and a few saying it was a good read. now some of that info is being brought up like we don't know. it's all in jest but i'm laughing a bit too much. come on guys (certain guys) :D

i called the show (not japan) canon bc toys such as jetfire did not make it in it's original form. skyfire is canon. not the vf-1s hikaru. G1 show is a combo animation mistakes, adapted toys, etc. but it is what it is.

in Jyp, these were diaclones (we aknowledge it).

and later an alternate Japan universe TF, some of these toys were originally something else. whatever. don't care.

powermaster prime is canon not god ginrai. (we don't care of it's original form, what appeared in the show then comics, is what counts, the writers created the story, origins)

Edited by davidwhangchoi

IIRC the after-market prices of Ultra Magnus have never really been that high, especially compared to that of Prime.

But I am very glad that they didn't do a white MP-10 in armor, it's been done before and I like that the decision was made to go with Ultra Magnus as his own, unique character rather than just another dressed up Optimus clone.

-b.