2 seater 1/48s

EXO

would you want one?  

270 members have voted

1. 1. would you want one?

• Hell yeah! Bring them all on! Ostrich, Elint, VF-1D
    • I would buy just one
    • What for? All 2 seaters suck! Backseat drivers suck. You suck!!!
    • I'm done with the 1/48s... and thank god so is Yamato.

Yamato would not need to do any re-tooling to create a VF-1D. Retooling implies that the current molds would be modified into the 1D, or VT, or VE; but doing so would, in essence, preclude them from ever producing another single seater. What Yamato would do is have new, 1D specific, molds made for all the 1D unique parts; the same goes for the VT-1 and VE-1. That way, Yamato could produce any new 2 seaters to their hearts' content, and still be able to make the single seaters for endless versions and re-issues.

Edited by mechaninac

Ok my bad, should have worded it better, as for those who do not what what the VEFR-1 is, here is the listing on MAHQ: http://www.mahq.net/mecha/macross/sdfmacross/vefr-1.htm

421217[/snapback]

Sorry if my post seemed to be directed at you... it wasn't; the timing of my reply just made it appear that way. My post was just intended to clarify the injection molding process since I've seen the term "retooling" thrown around a lot around these parts.

Retooling means alteration of an existing mold, as in correcting a problem or mistake or failure, and not modifying it into a "new" product. That entails a new mold be cut to replace the existing one in the injection tool in order to make the new parts needed for the new product. This way, the molds can be swapped as needed for whatever version required. Flexibility is the name of the game.

That's a cool version of the 1D, but it is far more involved than just a few extra bits and plastic color. The wings, V stabs, and hands, etc are also very unique.

Ok my bad, should have worded it better, as for those who do not what what the VEFR-1 is, here is the listing on MAHQ: http://www.mahq.net/mecha/macross/sdfmacross/vefr-1.htm

421217[/snapback]

If you look at the fighter mode, you'll see that the wings are different too.

EDIT: Sorry Mechaninac, We where typing our posts at the same time.

Edited by Dante74

The biggest problem Yamato will ahve with a VF-1D or any two seater is as Captain America showed us you can't make them perfect variable.  There just is nowhere that you can shoehorn in the cockpit armor, it has to be seperate.  That is of course unless they can pull some serious magic acts.

420500[/snapback]

I might have to prove you wrong....later. :rolleyes:

421157[/snapback]

how much later?

421208[/snapback]

Will this VF-1D, with the head properly tucked into the fuselage, do?

Where the heatshield? It's actually inside the VF-1D, just as it should be.

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Thanks, Cap'n (for the sculpt) and Bigkid24 (for the kit he sold me). B))

***Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I will add more pics later today. Also if you look at the head lasers, they are now lineart correct.

post-2246-1154398763_thumb.jpg

post-2246-1154398771_thumb.jpg

post-2246-1154398779_thumb.jpg

Edited by nightmareB4macross

he knows i was kidding ;)

421366[/snapback]

ooops... errr... I'm kidding about the slashed tires too! :unsure:

Oh man! NB4M, So the heatshield issue IS NOT an issue? I'm gonna come by and check that baby out! No, not the one in your wife's tummy... the VF-1D.

No excuse yamato now you have to make it! B))

Bring on as many pics to show them.

I want a 1D the most out of the 2 seaters. As the poll shows everyone wants it. It will also give a chance to make a pilot wearing non-unspacy uniform and minmay.

All the planes hikaru flew have to be made. (1D being his first taste of valk usage)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I was seing my 1:48s the other day and it doesnt look like a difficult thing to do

Im an architect and as a designer I CAN SAY THAT IS VERY EASY to do it, how?, just changing the middle part of the cockpit with another one a little more large because the single one have just as much space to put the other pilot (just see the back of the seat !!!), so as far as i can see its just a matter of only one different mold for that specific part of the valk..or,,,,,,,,yamato I could design you this part for free!!!! but just make it true!!!!!!!! :D:p:D

Nice. The thread should now be renamed from: "What makes them impossible?" to "why won't yamato just release them?" :D

Graham? You going to help us ask them, and then give us the official response? Maybe let them know the results of the poll so we can have one in the future? Cuz there is no way I'm going to pull apart my valks and custom them.

Just seems like the 1/60 scale gets everything while the 1/48 line is being unfairly discriminated against.

Here's why I think it would be worthwhile:

Unlike the VT-1 Super Ostrich (with that butt-ugly head turret :D) I think a 1D would do just as well as 1 seater because:

-it had weapons and hikaru blows apart some pods with it

-unique parts make it stand out. (who wouldn't want this in a sea of S,J and A heads which are common?)

-seen in the tv series in the first ep (it was the fans' first exposure to the transforming valk so it is iconic to some. Who could forget hikaru's crash landing into the row of buildings and his first attempt to use the battroid mode and almost crush people as it topples over? The orange valk has nostalgiac appeal)

-a chance to see minmay and hikaru in civilian clothing. More uniqueness to set it apart from the others

-a chance for them to put clear translucent camera sensor window in the head and detail for us to see through inside the head like they did for the garland.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Without further adieu, I present the once thought to be impossible...

VF-1D with sliding heatshield.

<Guinness spokesman's voice> BRILLIANT! </Guinness spokesman's voice>

I second the notion that Graham should respectfully present Yamato with NB4M's solution to the sliding cockpit heat shield for a 1/48 VF-1D. If I remember correctly, wasn't it a custom 1/60 VF-1D that prompted Yamato to make one of their own?

Come on Graham, be a trooper and make this happen for all the VF-1D fans out there. :D

Edited by mechaninac

Ok, I am officially eating crow, one question though, did you have to modify the slide rail the armor piece sits in at all in order to make it work? I ask because the pictures are a little fuzzy in that regard and I cannot tell if in fighter mode the armor is actually held in the rails or if it is floating.

Ok, I am officially eating crow, one question though, did you have to modify the slide rail the armor piece sits in at all in order to make it work?  I ask because the pictures are a little fuzzy in that regard and I cannot tell if in fighter mode the armor is actually held in the rails or if it is floating.

421530[/snapback]

There are several parts that need modification.

- Heatshield, pegs have to be cut and brought forward towards the nosecone.

- The sliding rails have to be extended and the chestplate will also have to be used as part of the rail system.

- Backplate, groves are cut in so the heatshiel can slide into the backplate without disturbiing the swingbar and shoulder plates, when in fighter mode. Also this prevents the heatshield from jamming up anyting during transformation.

- Small polygon cover of the backplate must be cleared to allow the heatshield to reside in the new backplate groves. This also allow for a perfectly flush fit between all parts in fighter mode.

Now everone, it's time to bug Graham. We know it can be done, the new question is "When will Yamato do it?"

***These are just a few of the major changes, that NEED to be done. There a few others minor alterations to make it work.

Edited by nightmareB4macross

Eh? What did you say to him? :p

Damn you are an absolute genious NB4M. Well done. Can't wait to see the final painted one.

BTW, is the heatshield under a lot of tension/stress at the transition point of transformation?

OK guys one enigma is solved, but remember...we still got the VT-1 and VE-1 to think about. :( And it's entirely different.

Edited by kensei

Eh? What did you say to him? :p

Damn you are an absolute genious NB4M. Well done. Can't wait to see the final painted one.

BTW, is the heatshield under a lot of tension/stress at the transition point of transformation?

OK guys one enigma is solved, but remember...we still got the VT-1 and VE-1 to think about.  :( And it's entirely different.

421895[/snapback]

No stress or tension on any parts. Before I conclude all the mods on this VF-1D to be lineart and anime(magic) correct. I still need to correct the floopy head syndrome and head would hang down so low.

I got the head at the stage where it stays nice and tucked cleanly into the fuselage , and still looks nice in battroid mode, it still loose as ever. I'm sure there is a better way to keep it from being so loose.

More to come. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Good work man. Appreciate it.

422108[/snapback]

Thanks.

I'm still working on the VF-1D. Found my solution for the low slung 1D head. B))

...Yet, I'm still working on this. There is one more option I would like to incorporate into this project before it's done. I think I almost have it figured out. I should have a mock up by next week.

SEE AVATAR, for other project in the works

Is that a 1/48 version of Hikaru's stuntplane? (whatever it's called).

Me wants!

It's not a kit is it?

Does it come colored?

Does it have the pilot?

Why isn't there a WIP thread?

Do you ship overseas?

How much is it going to cost?

Who cares how much it's going to cost?

Is that a 1/48 version of Hikaru's stuntplane? (whatever it's called).

Me wants!

It's not a kit is it?

Does it come colored?

Does it have the pilot?

Why isn't there a WIP thread?

Do you ship overseas?

How much is it going to cost?

Who cares how much it's going to cost?

425864[/snapback]

Yup, 1/48 FANRACER.

Me too.

It's in between a toy and a kit. This will be competely built as a toy.

It will.

It will.

I'm shy. :rolleyes:

Yup.

Don't know.

1 billion dollars.... :lol::lol::lol:

I'll have more to show in a few days.