2 seater 1/48s

EXO

would you want one?  

270 members have voted

1. 1. would you want one?

• Hell yeah! Bring them all on! Ostrich, Elint, VF-1D
    • I would buy just one
    • What for? All 2 seaters suck! Backseat drivers suck. You suck!!!
    • I'm done with the 1/48s... and thank god so is Yamato.

The poll's just for fun. What I want to know is how impossible is it to modify the 1/48s to 2 seaters. From Yamato or otherwise.

Is there something that makes this too tough to do? Longer cockpits? Heat shield won't fit? We all heard Graham tell us what Yamato told him how their not interested in it. But for what reason? Retooling cost or just impracticality?

Please discuss all problems and maybe some of the resolutions you may think would make this dream... um, a wetter dream...

Edited by >EXO<

if they build it, i will buy. :)

i can't see the big deal in it but i think it might be due to the lack of sales for the 1/60 VE and VT. i know many of us here have them but perhaps it didn't meet their sales expectations and thats why they don't feel the need to go forward with them. :unsure:

you'd figure most of the molds would be the same but at the same time, they'd have to make new molds for the chest plate, heatshield, the nosecone/canopy as well as individual molds for both FP's, which from their POV, isn't really that cost effective.

i guess they could charge an arm and a leg for them(like they did for the 1/60's ver.) but to invest more money into the line and take the risk of having them not sell well, could be a gamble their not willing to take at this point and time.

these are only my opinions, so feel free to disagree, just don't argue with me about it, please. :)

The Ostrich and 1D are the valks I'm holding out for. They seem to be my favorites among the 1/60s. It's possible that the bottom half of the nose cone and/or the swing bar may have to be re-enginered to work correctly.

My un-educated guess is the retooling cost. If it's gonna have the self-contained heatshield like the rest of the 1/48 line, the chestplate would probably have to be elongated to accomodate the longer heatshield.

Resculpted wing-tips (VT-1 and VE-1)

Resculpted backpack (VT-1 and VE-1)

Resculpted fast-packs (VT-1 and VE-1)

Newly sculpted sensor stuff and radar-dome for the VE-1.

The VF-1D looks like it would be the easiest to retool since it has the least to resculpt.

hmmm.. that swingbar could prolly reperesent the most difficult obstacle. The longer it is the farther back the legs go in fighter. I don't think that the heatshield is a problem. There could be room in the chestplates for a longer shield. I'll check for myself when I get home.

The length of the nosecone wouldn't be the problem. Elongating the cockpit would push the part that catches the metal bar forward.

Well for the swing bar, you can get it where it can slide out to be longer to make the connection. It can be done.

Considering that ALL of the 1/48 versions they have released have sold almost completely out... the tooling cost excuse doesn't make much sense. They went through the re-tooling w/ the 1/60's and I know that 1/60's never sold as well as the 1/48's have.

I imagine that they're planning it. Possibly they're working the sculpts right now. It would just be dumb not to.

I'm doen with 1/48 VF-1's, except for a CF.

I'm doen with 1/48 VF-1's, except for a CF.

LIES! :o

you'll only be able to hold out so long, then the VE and/or VT will to call you.....buy me, buy me, buy me! you'll fight it but theres no resisting, it will start to invade your dreams, then your reality! :p:D:lol:

Give me a 2 seater any day. I think the main problem with making a 2 seat 1:48 is making it perfect transformable. THe heat shied and swing bar design currently in use will have to be revamped in order to allow for the transformation because of the added length.

Considering that ALL of the 1/48 versions they have released have sold almost completely out... the tooling cost excuse doesn't make much sense. They went through the re-tooling w/ the 1/60's and I know that 1/60's never sold as well as the 1/48's have.

I imagine that they're planning it. Possibly they're working the sculpts right now. It would just be dumb not to.

VERY true!!!!!! Thgey should know the whole world hates teh 1/.100 VF-0 so I forsee a financial disaster brewing. Rectified by the sale of 2 seat 1/48s!!

Considering that ALL of the 1/48 versions they have released have sold almost completely out... the tooling cost excuse doesn't make much sense.  They went through the re-tooling w/ the 1/60's and I know that 1/60's never sold as well as the 1/48's have.

I imagine that they're planning it.  Possibly they're working the sculpts right now.  It would just be dumb not to.

VERY true!!!!!! Thgey should know the whole world hates teh 1/.100 VF-0 so I forsee a financial disaster brewing. Rectified by the sale of 2 seat 1/48s!!

I have yet to see that world wide case study you did about the 1/100 Shin. ;)

I'm sure they're entertaining the thought of the 2 seaters, yet the sudden halt in the 1/48s has got me worried.

I honestly didn't go for the 1/60 VT-1 or 1/60 VE-1 because of the design of the toy. I didn't like the way the tail fins were designed it looks cheap imo. The ostritch packs need to be larger and a little bit more bulbous imo. Those issues could be resolved on a 1/48 but yamato is moving on it seems. Terrible waste, considering they even bothered to make a 1/48 vf-1 in the first place.

Considering that ALL of the 1/48 versions they have released have sold almost completely out... the tooling cost excuse doesn't make much sense.  They went through the re-tooling w/ the 1/60's and I know that 1/60's never sold as well as the 1/48's have.

I imagine that they're planning it.  Possibly they're working the sculpts right now.  It would just be dumb not to.

I'm sure they're entertaining the thought of the 2 seaters, yet the sudden halt in the 1/48s has got me worried.

i wouldn't say a sudden halt.

while its not a 1/48, they did release the 1/60 GBP along with the display stand(what a rip off) and we got the 1/60 max q-rau coming as well as the much anticipated koeing monster and lets not forget everyone favorite, the vf-0. ;) that along with other releases that aren't macross, yamato has a lot on its plate right now, so give them a little breathing room. :) i have hope they'll come through for us....eventually. :p

also, don't forget they didn't release the M&M's that long ago either....has it even been 6 months? a year? :unsure:

i wouldn't say a sudden halt.

while its not a 1/48, they did release the 1/60 GBP along with the display stand(what a rip off) and we got the 1/60 max q-rau coming as well as the much anticipated koeing monster and lets not forget everyone favorite, the vf-0. ;) that along with other releases that aren't macross, yamato has a lot on its plate right now, so give them a little breathing room. :) i have hope they'll come through for us....eventually. :p

also, don't forget they didn't release the M&M's that long ago either....has it even been 6 months? a year? :unsure:

Well, the M&M were release back in April if I recall.

I'd have to say that in my opinion, 2-seater 1/48s should certainly feasible from a technical standpoint

I think the 1/60 VE-1 and VT-1 sold fairly well, the VF-1D less so. You certainly don't see any VT-1 or VE-1 on toy store shelves here in HK anymore.

However, the tooling costs to make 1/48 2-seaters would be pretty high as there are a lot of new parts that need making. Perhaps Yamato feel that they would have to set the retail cost unreasonably high to recoup their investment and are worried the high price would kill sales.

Or perhaps one day soon we will see 2-seater 1/48s?

Graham

Gotta remember that a VF-1D doesn't have n airbrake. The length of the two seater cockpit could be extended back into the chest plate itself, rather than towards the nose, if you wnat a linart accurate VF1D. But if they didn't make a 100 % accurate VF-1D but still amde it look 95 % of the original, I'll still buy it. Yamato can sue this mold at least twice.

Elintseeker and Super Ostrich would pose the most problem with their stepped up cockpits though. Hell why am I being so fussy, let them come with removeable heatsheilds!

If they made a VF-1D I'd buy it. One of the sticking points of the VF-1D, VE-1, and VT-1 designs is that they are too unique; unlike the other VFs, there are no color variations to help amortize the cost of development and tooling. However, they could get around that somewhat by making not only a VF-1D, for example, in orange and sand like on the show, but also a special edition low vis version...I'd buy THAT in an instant.

post-4-1091636635_thumb.gif

Edited by mechaninac

Nothing makes the "D" impossible. From what I recall of it, the cockpit was lengthened aft of its position on the single-seat models. Place a cockpit in the location where at present the fuselage (and probably reaction mass) exists in the single-seaters and voila! It's a non issue. The "D" in the animation has the same dimensions as the single-seaters do--the cockpit was stretched/stuffed in aft not forward.

The airbrake was eliminated, too, IIRC, so the shield isn't dying for space that I am aware of.

Edited by Skull-1

If they made a VF-1D I'd buy it. One of the sticking points of the VF-1D, VE-1, and VT-1 designs is that they are too unique; unlike the other VFs, there are no color variations to help amortize the cost of development and tooling. However, they could get around that somewhat by making not only a VF-1D, for example, in orange and sand like on the show, but also a special edition low vis version...I'd buy THAT in an instant.

That's not actually a bad idea. Yamato can release limited release variants of special versions like the Elint and Ostrich to maximize the use for it's molds. And like someone already said, the VF-1D does have the M&M marriage version as a variant. Ugh... if they DO come to light, the box size would be ridiculous.

If they made a VF-1D I'd buy it.  One of the sticking points of the VF-1D, VE-1, and VT-1 designs is that they are too unique; unlike the other VFs, there are no color variations to help amortize the cost of development and tooling.  However, they could get around that somewhat by making not only a VF-1D, for example, in orange and sand like on the show, but also a special edition low vis version...I'd buy THAT in an instant.

That's not actually a bad idea. Yamato can release limited release variants of special versions like the Elint and Ostrich to maximize the use for it's molds. And like someone already said, the VF-1D does have the M&M marriage version as a variant. Ugh... if they DO come to light, the box size would be ridiculous.

God, I can oly imagine what the box size will be.