2 seater 1/48s

EXO

would you want one?  

270 members have voted

1. 1. would you want one?

• Hell yeah! Bring them all on! Ostrich, Elint, VF-1D
    • I would buy just one
    • What for? All 2 seaters suck! Backseat drivers suck. You suck!!!
    • I'm done with the 1/48s... and thank god so is Yamato.

• 1 year later...

The biggest problem Yamato will ahve with a VF-1D or any two seater is as Captain America showed us you can't make them perfect variable. There just is nowhere that you can shoehorn in the cockpit armor, it has to be seperate. That is of course unless they can pull some serious magic acts.

They're obviously making enough money that they might consider a major retool. The current 1/48 might not be able to be converted can it be said that it's truly impossible to make a 2 seater at 1/48 scale?

Considering that ALL of the 1/48 versions they have released have sold almost completely out... the tooling cost excuse doesn't make much sense.  They went through the re-tooling w/ the 1/60's and I know that 1/60's never sold as well as the 1/48's have.

I imagine that they're planning it.  Possibly they're working the sculpts right now.  It would just be dumb not to.

183305[/snapback]

Did you see this Yamato? There's no excuse!

How is anything impossible today in this world??? it's not like we're asking them to make a 3000 Bhp engine that runs 100 miles per gallon of petrol... It's NOT rocket science by any stretch of the imagination! B)) Sorry, but seriously, I can't help but chuckle when I remind myself we're talking about a variable toy here....

Bottom line... It's very possible... and when they've milked the 1/48's till they're aint anymore milk, they'll find something else they could make a couple of variations of... :)

I'm also skeptical about the supposed high retooling cost we keep hearing about again and again... ;) I work for a company that develops it's own products and that also uses forums to spread word and generate buzz... and there's definitely A LOT of things we keep general for OUR benefit.

I wouldn't be surprised if Yamato's doing the exact same thing with what they tell Graham and eventually, the MW community. They give Graham what they want us to hear and see at a time of their choosing... and not a morsel more or second sooner. That's how business is...

Yeah, yeah, yeah retooling can cost a bunch initially... but that's the nature of their business. You invest wisely on developing a product that you think will bring a good return on the investment. That's why listening to customer demand and not pissing off the Co-founder of your oversees advertising hub is absolutely vital... :p

Regardless, considering Yamato gets to sell variations of some of these things with sometimes nothing more than a different colored STRIPE, it's all a moot point... Sometimes they get to print money, sometimes they have to use their heads and earn it~

Yamato, just do what you're doing now~ Generating positive, OPTIMISTIC buzz among fans with new products that a majority of the fanbase desires. You know you'll make money. :)

True. But how many variations could they make? The single seaters have many variations and people already have trouble keeping up with that since Yamato keeps on churning it out.

How many variations would Yamato want to produce and sell before they feel it's worth their while?

How many double seaters would people buy? That's what I'm curious about.

Edited by ShadowerV2

I think it's possible for them to produce the toy, but maybe they don't see any profit.

Did the Keonig Monster sell well? They may be using that as their bellwether in this matter since that was pretty much a one-off. I'm sure they can make a low-viz or jungle or even desert camo but like the Koenig, the 2 seaters aren't just a simple head swap.

If I was Yamato however, I'd bet somebody has already done a CAD or even a sculpt of these. I'm sure someone has tinkered with it and it's only a matter of time until we see them. That and the actual Macross.

The fact that they can only make 3 variations the Ostrich, the VF-1D and the Elintseeker.

Only the Vf-1D is a combat form. The others are not. Might not sell as well.

420854[/snapback]

ACtually there would be 4 variations to sell. The VT, VE, and 2 1Ds. The Trainer and the Virgin Road. Not to mention Yamato isn't totally against custom schemes. There's some room to milk the molds. But the VT and VE have slightly different canopies, wings and tails from the D and have the unique fast packs.

I think it's possible for them to produce the toy, but maybe they don't see any profit. 

Did the Keonig Monster sell well?  They may be using that as their bellwether in this matter since that was pretty much a one-off.  I'm sure they can make a low-viz or jungle or even desert camo but like the Koenig, the 2 seaters aren't just a simple head swap. 

420924[/snapback]

The Garland is a one off so far and they obviously had enough success to venture onto the Votoms arena. It's strange that they haven't released more pilots for that line though. I dont get why they can't make figures that sell for less than $30. They're regular action figures with a couple of extra hands and head. But the 2 seaters have enough variables to not consider them a one off, but could be different enough to be considered a whole different line of 1/48 Macross toys.

Looking at the 1/60 side by side of the 1D and the 1S, the heatshield won't be much of an issue since there is more room behind the canopy to hide a longer shield. The 1D doesn't have that cut in the top middle part of the chest and the chest would cover most of the canopy as it is so the shield wouldn't have to be much longer at all than the existing molds.

With this, most of the existing molds can be used an only a few would need retooling.

Edited by Metal_Massacre_79

Metal_Massacre_79 - That is one sweet looking custom VF-1D at 1/48 scale mate!!

:)

Can we see more pics of that baby?

421120[/snapback]

lol... unless he customized them to look like 1/60s, I don't think that's a custom 1/48.

The biggest problem Yamato will ahve with a VF-1D or any two seater is as Captain America showed us you can't make them perfect variable.  There just is nowhere that you can shoehorn in the cockpit armor, it has to be seperate.  That is of course unless they can pull some serious magic acts.

420500[/snapback]

I might have to prove you wrong....later. :rolleyes:

The biggest problem Yamato will ahve with a VF-1D or any two seater is as Captain America showed us you can't make them perfect variable.  There just is nowhere that you can shoehorn in the cockpit armor, it has to be seperate.  That is of course unless they can pull some serious magic acts.

One time when Eugimon was yelling at me for dreaming of a 1/48 2 seater I examined how to make a heatshield that would work. I forget what thread it was in but I think I came up with two ways that weren't all that crazy complicated to get the heatshield to work. It would definitely take a bit of retooling of the current molds but since that's necessary already it doesn't seem like that's a problem. All my hypothesizing is pretty meaningless though, if NB4M can actually make it happen, now that's something!

420500[/snapback]

421157[/snapback]

Sounds like a Graham remark. :lol:

421120[/snapback]

lol... unless he customized them to look like 1/60s, I don't think that's a custom 1/48.

421127[/snapback]

The VF-1D in Metal_Massacre_79's pic might not be 1/48, but this one is! :D

421120[/snapback]

421127[/snapback]

421192[/snapback]

Uhhh yeah... and?

421120[/snapback]

421127[/snapback]

:ro

421192[/snapback]

Uhhh yeah... and?

421200[/snapback]

Uhhh...and...I just thought Vermillion21 might like to see pictures of a 1/48 VF-1D since he asked for more pics from Metal_Massacre_79 (who actually posted pics of the 1/60 VF-1D). Capiche?

421120[/snapback]

421127[/snapback]

:ro

421192[/snapback]

Uhhh yeah... and?

421200[/snapback]

Uhhh...and...I just thought Vermillion21 might like to see pictures of a 1/48 VF-1D since he asked for more pics from Metal_Massacre_79 (who actually posted pics of the 1/60 VF-1D). Capiche?

421206[/snapback]

capiche!

My favorite one is Datterboy's, the guy who abandoned collecting 1/48s all together.

420500[/snapback]

421157[/snapback]

how much later?

I'd love to see you make a perfect variable 1D, the only way I could it possilby working is if the cockpit armor somehow split in two, which would explain the seam on the VF-1D cockpit armor plate.

Also when it comes to color schemes you have three official ones ready for the VF-1D, plus all the myriad unofficial/semi-official

VT-102 (O)

Virgin Road (O)

Funny Chinese (O) but would require some new parts (not technically a VF-1D but based on the same airframe, it is the precursor to the VE-1)

Cannon Fodder (S) I swear there is a scene when Hikaru is training that he is in a CF VF-1D

Angel Bird (S) you know the demo team had to have at least 2 seater

Low Vis (U) people would buy it up you know it

Stealth (U) people would buy it up you know it

etc...(U) the possibilities are pretty endless on how to repaint it

Then you have to retool again to make the VT/VE two seaters, but they are basically the same except for the heads and fast packs. And again you have the two official schemes and a myriad of unofficial ones you could cram into there.