Opinion: best sc-fi Capitol ship designs....

First off

1.NO space/starfighters

2.NO pimpmobiles

3.NO light cargo ships(includes the millenium falcon tardies!)

4.NO shuttles/dropships

5.NO space stations

6.in case this isn't clear enough NO macross, southern cross and Mospeada! :angry:

7.(I know someone will do this) no star destroyers/USS Enterprises we all know how good they are and I don't want to see 300 pics of them on this thread

8.Finally no damn tech debates AND NO TREK/WARS DEBATES! :angry:

cap ships from sci-fi/anime/video games are welcome.

EDIT:break these rules all you'll join my tardy of the year club and have your name listed in my sig! :lol:

Edited by renegadeleader1

6.in case this isn't clear enough NO macross, southern cross and Mospeada! :angry:

7.(I know someone will do this) no star destroyers/USS Enterprises we all know how good they are and I don't want to see 300 pics of them on this thread

Is there anything left!!?

well lets see hmmm.

I like the Starship Troopers movie Rodger Young

http://www.starshipmodeler.com/Other/18ryjay.jpg

The Sulaco from Aliens

http://www.culttvman.com/kyu-woong_lee_s_sulaco.html

The TCS concordia class from Wing commander

http://www.wcnews.com/encyclopedia/showrecord.php?id=1292

The USS Saratoga from space above and beyond

http://www.wildcards.freeserve.co.uk/saratoga.htm

hell heres a Dunce one the Battlestar Galactica

EDIT: cool saratoga blue print

http://www.wildcards.freeserve.co.uk/blprint.htm

Edited by renegadeleader1

Is there anything left!!?

Yeah really, our options are kinda limited renegadeleader1...

I guess all that's left is...

The Albion from Stardust Memory

The Archangel from SEED

The EDAF and OCC battleships in Air Force Delta Strike

The Birmingham from Stardust Memory

Let's se If I get any of these right...an space ship is an space ship...big or small what makes it a capitol ship anyways?

1. medical frigate in star wars; definitively one of my all times favorites.

2. mother ship in alien 1

3. original galactica

4. there are bunch of awesome ships from the Home World game

Things I love

Independance War Corvette

WhiteBase

Calmari Cruiser (love that organic look)

SW - Medical Frigate

Taidani Capships and frigates from Homeworld 1

Carrier from WingCommander Prophecy (forgot what it was called)

Exo-carrier Resolute

The Ark from Transformers (does that count?)

The Red Dwarf

Any Kilrathi Capship

Things I hate

All kushan cap-ships and frigates from homeworld

Vorlon Ships

That ship from MoonTrap (crappy design for an even worse movie)

Any saucer shaped ship. (No matter how many greebies you stick on the hull, a saucer is still a saucer.)

The Abh Empire designs from Crest/Banner of the Stars are among my favorites.

They knew how to build a Star Fleet.

post-26-1082664394_thumb.jpg

Edited by Anubis

well lets see hmmm.

I like the Starship Troopers movie Rodger Young

http://www.starshipmodeler.com/Other/18ryjay.jpg

The Sulaco from Aliens

http://www.culttvman.com/kyu-woong_lee_s_sulaco.html

The TCS concordia class from Wing commander

http://www.wcnews.com/encyclopedia/showrecord.php?id=1292

The USS Saratoga from space above and beyond

http://www.wildcards.freeserve.co.uk/saratoga.htm

hell heres a Dunce one the Battlestar Galactica

EDIT: cool saratoga blue print

http://www.wildcards.freeserve.co.uk/blprint.htm

I don't remember any of that stuff.

* The Arcadia and just about any other ship designed by Matsumoto.

* The Reich battleships in Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

* Anything built with a General Products hull #2.

* The Red Dwarf.

* The Liberator.

* The Exelion.

The Uchuu Senkan Yamato

Flagship Andromeda

Arcadia

And hell, another vote for just about any ship designed by Matsumoto.

All of that, and then add the Karyu from Cosmos Warrior Zero, Herlock's Death Shadow, and all of the capital ships from the Free Planets Alliance from Legend of the Galactic Heroes. I thought their ships were every bit as cool as the Reich's, but in a completely different way.

Yamato

Original Galactica

Excalibur from B5 Crusade

New Galactica

I know there's others, I just can't think of them, right now.

I also always liked the B5 Whitestars, and their successors seen in the last episode, but thy're way too small to qualify as capital ships.

Ooh, can't resist this one! In no real order:

1) X-Bomber (X-Bomber/Star Fleet). Possibly just a touch on the small side, but a major part of my childhood.

2) Bloody Marys/Commander Makaras flagship (also X-Bomber/Star Fleet). Not sure if it actually has a name, but a very nice, seemingly fish-inspired design.

3) Narn battlecruiser and Omega-class destroyer, Babylon 5. One of the B5 designers said that Narn equipment was made to have a very industrial look, and it would seem they decided to give the Narn the space-going equivalent of a Russian tractor! Omega-class destroyers just "look", as we say in England, "well 'ard!", though it remains to be answered just how they actually turn!

4) Culture General Systems Vehicle. Iain M. Banks endeared himself to many a SF fan when he came up with the idea of calling his multi-kilometre long, sentinent spaceships, each one fully capable of laying waste to a solar system, names like "What Are The Civilian Applications?"

5) Culture Rapid Offensive Unit Killing Time (Iain M. Banks, Excession). Not only a brillant pun, but steals the show in the last part of this excellent book by taking on an entire battle fleet single handedly.

Well it's good to see another Liberator fan here. I liked the design so much I tweaked with it and made 20 or so variants :blink:

Anyhow the list in order of thought (With links!)

1The Cygnus: Yeah I know it's a disney movie, but this is before Disney was invaded by the pixie people. This is from the only good sci-fi Disney ever put out. Gothic, big, and impressive in the movie. (The Black Hole)

2. Nergal's Nadesico (With and without Y-unit) Why not? And meet it's distant cousin #3

3. The Nirvana (Vandread) This ship in my opinion would make a cool heavy cruiser. And for some reason I want to put it next to the Nadesico in coolness factor.

4. The SDF-1: Sorry, I can't resist

5: The Taiidan Heavy Cruiser: Possibly the coolest ship in the game. Mutiliated in Homeworld Cataclsym. Wrongfully the ship you're supposed to blow up. Next to no. 6 this is the coolest ship in the game.

6. The Taiidan Destroyer: As cool as the heavy cruiser, only smaller.

7. The Arcadia: So cool it makes cameo appearances. Notably in Orguss :D

8. Space Battlecruiser Yamato: Never seen the series personally, but the wave motion gun did commute to one of my origional designs :D

9. Albion (And other White Base class ships): These are the Nadesico and Nirvana of Gundam, though since more emphesas is on Mobile Suits these ships aren't as prominent.

10. Salmis Kai: Cruiser, anyone? :D

11. ST:TMP Enterprise: Only this variant. In my opinion this is pretty much where trek ends.

12. Izumo-Class Battlefortresses: (Southern Cross???) Again, this ship is the root for an origional design series of mine. It looks impressive in armament and as thick and impenetrable as a brick. It also has a very big gun :D

13. The Eletrium (Gunbuster) So big we can poke Unicron's eye out by ramming him. Graceful, elegant, and as dangerous as anything.

14. The Starfish T-MAT ship (Rejected HW1): Appeared as the planet killer in HW2. Dropped from HW1 because of technical problems, but you know it would have eaten your fleet like nothing.

15. Jovian Drone Capital ships: Even though they're aliens, the Jovian capital ships look awesome. I want one :D

The Bad (IMO) Designs list:

1. The new Red Dwarf: AKA the picture shown here. I liked the old one! Why the change!?

2. Saucers (Twilight zone, etc) Please, no flying saucers. For Martians only.

3. Rocket ships: (From the old shows) Well some people might like them, but I like rockets that blow up capital ships. Not ARE the capital ships.

4. The Kushan Mothership: Also known as the Bananna ship. It gets points for origionality, but it's one big reason why I don't play Kushan.

5. Any next generation Star Trek Design: You'd think things would get better with age. But like most things trek it seems to get progressively worse. I don't like the organic feel of these ships.

6. Kushan frigates and the Kushan Carrier/Heavy Cruiser: The prototype designs rocked. Why did they dump them for these ships?

Edited by Boxer

There can be only one!!!

The Sulaco... my all time favorite.

It's like a huge gun floating in space. :ph34r:

Hmm, the clutter on the "bow" of the Sulaco are supposed to be sensors (electromagnetic and other), not part of a huge gun.

The only weapons you see in the move are the ventral/dorsal turrets and some forward-firing side-mounted guns...the Colonial Marines Technical Manual leads one to believe that missiles are the primary weapon however. But never heard of a "big gun"

As for favorite Capitol Ship designs:

Romulan Warbird

Most of the stuff from Gall Force (even some of the Paranoid ships)

Calimari Cruisers

Gothic Class from Battlefleet Gothic (one of the ONLY Imperial ships I like the looks of)

edit- forgot about the Sulaco's "rail guns."

Edited by Phyrox

Hmm, the clutter on the "bow" of the Sulaco are supposed to be sensors (electromagnetic and other), not part of a huge gun.

The only weapons you see in the move are the ventral/dorsal turrets and some forward-firing side-mounted guns...the Colonial Marines Technical Manual leads one to believe that missiles are the primary weapon however. But never heard of a "big gun"

I think he meant the ship looks like a big gun, complete with hand grip.

The only weapons you see in the move are the ventral/dorsal turrets and some forward-firing side-mounted guns...the Colonial Marines Technical Manual leads one to believe that missiles are the primary weapon however.  But never heard of a "big gun"

I think he meant the ship looks like a big gun, complete with hand grip.

Ahh, I see. My mistake.

1. The new Red Dwarf: AKA the picture shown here. I liked the old one! Why the change!?

I haven't watched the show in years, so I didn't realize it'd been changed until I saw the post above. Blech.

The change came when the nanites rebuilt RedDwarf. Originally I believe Red Dwarf was the butt end of the Jupiter Mining Company's fleet, The nanites rebuilt it as it was supposed to be if costs had not been cut on the original build.

FYI, Corgi is making a Red Dwarf toy as well as a small starbug. :D And another company is making a Starbug playset with a minicrew, can't wait ;)

There can be only one!!!

The Sulaco... my all time favorite.

It's like a huge gun floating in space. :ph34r:

As for favorite Capitol Ship designs:

Romulan Warbird

Most of the stuff from Gall Force (even some of the Paranoid ships)

Calimari Cruisers

Gothic Class from Battlefleet Gothic (one of the ONLY Imperial ships I like the looks of)

edit- forgot about the Sulaco's "rail guns."

No. I mean it looks like a huge gun... physically...

:D

How 'bout those big Sith ships in Knights of the Old Republic?

I think, aside from that, the Sith starfighter, and the TIE's, the Star Destroyers were the only ships I liked from Star Wars...

I do like the Archangel from Gundam SEED. Kinda like the White Base, but all slick and curvy...

A pic is worth 1,000 words. ;)

what the heck is that called????

i've thought about this ship but couldn't remember what it really looked like(other than the big ass gun in the front) or what it was called? i must've been 4-5 years old when i saw this cartoon.....what the heck is this ship called???

A pic is worth 1,000 words. ;)

what the heck is that called????

i've thought about this ship but couldn't remember what it really looked like(other than the big ass gun in the front) or what it was called? i must've been 4-5 years old when i saw this cartoon.....what the heck is this ship called???

Ummmm dude thats the yamato... :p