Must see VF image!

xstoys

The legs look goofy. Even counting for position and perspective the left leg is too much larger than the right one.

Overall, I think the artist has a great grasp of creating dynamic scenes and perfect shading and coloring, but his mechanical designs need a little work- Integrated Under-wing Rocket Pods!?!

:rolleyes:

I'm no expert, but I think it's supposed a VF-0, look at the shape of the arms, and the plane to the left rear. Except that the canards are only on the D (I think...) and the head looks like it has four head lasers, errrnt, wrong. I also don't remember there being any intake on the top of the wings. Owell, I tried.

*EDIT* Ok, second look, maybe a VF-11?

Edited by Shmitty

I don't think it's suppossed to be any established valkyrie. It is obviously an F-14 based variable fighter with shirow influenced weapons. I think it is really cool, very nicely done and creative. The scene is rather impressive with the exploding wingman, and the whole composition makes me think high end movie pre or post production artwork. Hey XStoys, where did you find it, does the artist have any other artwork posted?

kidkorrupt Posted on Feb 26 2004, 06:07 PM

whoa, whoa.

no need to rip the artist a new one. it is fanworks here, not all the art is expected to be professional stuff.

Sorry, if I came off like I was ripping the artist, I was just trying to figure out what VF it was, no harm intended! :D Anyway, I looked at the site it came from and have even more respect for it.

whoa, whoa.

no need to rip the artist a new one. it is fanworks here, not all the art is expected to be professional stuff.

it is a nice picture, lets just take it as that.

edit in-just look at that water, badass!

I'm not ripping him a new one. It's called CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM.

I think it's a really great piece of work. But I also think that his proportions are way off and his mechanical detail is lacking in a lot of areas. These "problems" are simply overshadowed by the amazing colors, composition and a penchant for creating great action shots.

I'm telling you, though- If this guy really did this work in 4 hours like he says (and I have no reason to doubt him), he must be friggan genius!!!

After looking through several of his pics it seems like he does these on the fly. If he took some time to plan them out a bit more, he could definitely get a handle the mechanics and proportion issues.

crap... I need to take some lessons from him, real bad. Do you think he uses a graphics tablet?

Two planes I've grown fond of over the years ... the F-14 and the VF-1. Both have variable wings which makes them look sleek and menacing. What's more ... they look very similiar ...

I've been trying to put a name to the fighters in the pic ... I remeber seeing an article about a modified F-14 that could configure to Gurdian. After much searching ... the pics resemble ... if not are ... YVF-14 Tigercats. It is a fictional fighter and it seems to be a pre-Zentradi invasion mecha.

Check it out at the Mecha section of Robotech Research.

Edited by Raceboy

As a painting, I think it's great. I do wonder what type of VF's those are supposed to be, though.

Is this a painting? It doesn't look it was painted on a canvas.

It doesn't look like a painting...it looks more like the artist did it on Photoshop?

It's still very awesome!!

Nifty, definitely has a Shirow feel to it. Hmm, imagine a Kawamori/Shirow cooperative project, cool.

Well. Didn't Kawamori and Masumune work together for the first Ghost In The Shell movie?

I'd love to see them work together on an independent series, movie, OAV, etc.

B))

Nifty, definitely has a Shirow feel to it.  Hmm, imagine a Kawamori/Shirow cooperative project, cool.

Well. Didn't Kawamori and Masumune work together for the first Ghost In The Shell movie?

I'd love to see them work together on an independent series, movie, OAV, etc.

B))

Kawamori's involvement in the GiTS movie was purely design, I think he just did some helicopters and maybe that final spider-mecha.

Shirow had nothing to do with the movie at all, other than providing the inspiration by creating the original comic.

Heh, looks like his friend though is crap outta luck :p

Incredible picture though. When I saw it on the main page, I was pretty shocked. That guy has some major talent.

the guy who does these is amazing, these are digital paintings using probably Painter 7, awsome program. i hear he cranks these out in like two hours (witch is why they're so gestural)