DX VF-31J Super Siegfried (Hayate Immelmann Use) Revival Version

sh9000

1 hour ago, HardlyNever said:

I guess I'd be part of the target audience for this.  I only have 1 VF-31 (Arad) and he's usually suited up in his sumo suit armored parts.  I like the VF-31, and the super parts but... I don't know if I care to get this.  Maybe will get it if/when it goes on discount from a stateside retailer (like Amazon).

Is anyone else concerned on the number of reissues/"revivals" we're getting at this point?  I know Macross is niche, and we haven't gotten a truly new IP in... like 8 years, but is this like... the beginning of the end?  Macross collecting just seems flooded with reissues, where as 5-6 years ago we were getting actually new stuff pretty regularly.

you want a discounted VF-31AX from the first release? I have 4 and need to get rid of one , ill give it to you at nearly half price

I actually wonder.. given the change in exchange rate, this release might wind up cheaper than the original, and include the super packs.

I had the same thing happen with the re-released Arcadia Fire Valk.  The recent reissue with the sound booster cost me the same as the original Yamato release without it.

17 hours ago, jenius said:

I think it's a factor of WWM and an attempt to test the waters with some known winners... Why WWM started with a new non canon VF-25, I understand less.

I might be able to offer a little bit of insight here. I only started collecting DX Macross figures after the VF-1 figures started coming out because I'm old school and I've only seen the original SDFM, DYRL and Macross Plus. I have not seen anything after that so I don't have much interest in the newer valks. But I ended up buying the WWM VF-25 first release anniversary figure because it was on sale on Amazon locally and because it has a nice colour scheme and the Skull Squadron symbol on it which appeals to me. I also think it's a beautiful valk design. But I didn't really appreciate that until that anniversary edition popped up for some reason. Anyway that figure was a gateway drug for me and I ended up buying the revivals of the VF-25F with super parts and the VF-171EX. I have not received the 171 yet and I've heard it's a pain to transform. But I'm happy with my two VF-25s and it's causing me to start paying more attention to all the new valks after those (which is why I'm in this thread). I'm trying not to because I'm out of display space and these valks are very expensive to import to Canada. And the WWM pricing for retailers outside of Japan has not been great.

Anyway, what I'm saying is that I'm most likely not the only one in this situation so that may have been Bandai's evil plan. Start up WWM and then get people like me buying revivals. I'm also buying the YF-21 of course because I'm a huge fan of M+ but I'm really not happy about the crazy price they are charging in North America. I'm never able to land a purchase on pre-order madness night so I've given up and paying the piper. 

On 4/22/2024 at 10:31 PM, MKT said:

Now that I looked back on the Tamashii page for the 31J with Speakerpods, the blurb seems pretty inconsistent. On one hand they make a big deal about Absolute Live, as if it came from that movie (the movie doesn't show it). Even the box has the Absolute Live logo.

On other hand, in the same page they acknowledge it comes from the series' Episode 6. Which we know the Speakerpods are shown with Supers. :unknw:

VF-31JSpeakerpods.jpg.6f39ea3f8ac70d305d6573a209896fad.jpg

how come the new release doesn't come with speakers?  320 us prices, i would like reaction missiles and speakers

Bandai not only not completing a series now, but make you buy multiples just for little accessories.
Want speakerpods? Get the 31J with speakerpods..
Want reaction missiles? Get the 31J Kai..
Want supers? Here's the bundle set.

I really wonder how they will handle the Armors. So far, there hasn't been WWM releases for standalone accessories that traditionally have been P-Bandai / TWE only. They chose to make them into bundle sets for WWM, so I wonder if there will be VF-25 Armored or VF-31 Armored bundles one day, just like the VF-1J GBP. The US MSRP would be crazy though..

9 minutes ago, MKT said:

Bandai not only not completing a series now, but make you buy multiples just for little accessories.

I think they've been that way for decades...

13 minutes ago, MKT said:

I really wonder how they will handle the Armors.

We'll know how they handle equipment packs once the YF-21 releases. It comes with fold booster struts, while the 19 lacks that as well as weapons and fast packs. Bandai is literally setting themselves up with the need to demonstrate how they will handle these things under WWM releases. I wouldn't be surprised if they just prove they will only continue to release incomplete collections for decades to come though lol.

2 hours ago, PointBlankSniper said:

We'll know how they handle equipment packs once the YF-21 releases. It comes with fold booster struts, while the 19 lacks that as well as weapons and fast packs. Bandai is literally setting themselves up with the need to demonstrate how they will handle these things under WWM releases. I wouldn't be surprised if they just prove they will only continue to release incomplete collections for decades to come though lol.

Yup, we can naturally surmise Bandai may release a fold booster + weapons pack for the YF-19, with the fold booster being compatible with the YF-21. But time and again the only predictable thing about Bandai is its unpredictability. Folks still waiting for DYRL Max VF-1 after Bandai included the blue roundels on the Strike packs ages ago..

I wouldn't be surprised that for WWM fold booster & weapons pack for YF-19, Bandai will choose to make it a bundle set with the valk all over again. :p

Kind of sad to consider, but that basically boils Bandai's entire marketing strategy down to FOMO (fear of missing out).

"Better buy everything we release, no matter how much or little you like it, because you never know when we'll release another thing you actually want that will interact with the thing you never bought in an essential way."

It's pretty sad how true that is. They can't just sell a good toy that everyone wants.

I just happened to notice this going on with Tekken 8 yesterday, and boy were the reviews bad. The funny part is that bandai forgot the FOMO part to their plan, so it's just a post launch surprise nickel and diming scheme on a product with no scarcity, and a lack of polish that people demand the most.

It feels like bandai is repeating the same thing here with the 31J being so abundant, yet missing bits and pieces that people want the most.

15 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

Yeah but the VF-1 is from a good show. 

Delta is hot garbage. 

Lol. Ya.. but the VF designs are pretty cool. I know, i know, the VF-1 is where it all started. But decades later, here we are getting more VF-1 releases. ( i roll my eyes at myself as i keep buying VF-1's too) :p 

So apparently Bandai thinks this additional release is also a sure bet..:unknw:

30 minutes ago, David Hingtgen said:

Or just re-release the base -31A.  Especially the one with Arad's marking on the spine.  

Or they could just bundle the base 31A with Super Parts. It's the only 31 I'm going to rebuy if they do that. ;) 

58885b7631c25__20170116_10.gif.0214b2cfe6c30578600ecc90ef328197.gif.4a67c79154113e805591d21071004a2c.gif

1 hour ago, no3Ljm said:

Or they could just bundle the base 31A with Super Parts. It's the only 31 I'm going to rebuy if they do that. ;) 

58885b7631c25__20170116_10.gif.0214b2cfe6c30578600ecc90ef328197.gif.4a67c79154113e805591d21071004a2c.gif

Exactly this. Maybe I'm overly biased toward realistic looking aircraft schemes, and just sick of Hayate reissues, but I don't see why anyone in the international market would pick Hayate over the Kairos at this point, given the option.

It's been my impression for a while that the biggest demand for those was outside Japan anyhow, so why aren't they going after that demand instead of re-issuing the same copy for the fourth time?  Anyone in the international market who wanted that one probably got it a long time ago, and unlike Frontier, I don't think Delta has nearly as much international audience to begin with. 

Maybe it's a benefit to finally come packed with the super packs, I guess, but I'd still rather see something different.

Edited by Chronocidal

This delta toy is for no one. Delta had a poor audience. WWM release won't move the needle in any significant direction. Major shelf-warmer incoming.

3 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Oooo, i need this one... 

1 hour ago, jenius said:

This release isn't for us. It's Bandai's way of seeing if there's a big international market that was shut out before WWM. They're using their most popular toys to do that, not their most obscure ones. 

I can understand the logic of using a popular release to test the international waters, but when the market has been saturated with Hayate VF-31s for several years already, and anyone in the international markets who was that interested in Delta probably already acquired one (or more) anyhow, it feels dumb to me to use this as a measuring stick.

1 hour ago, davidwhangchoi said:

This delta toy is for no one. Delta had a poor audience. WWM release won't move the needle in any significant direction. Major shelf-warmer incoming.

This is my concern.  Trying to judge demand for Macross items based on something that has a low baseline demand in this market to begin with, and those who were interested in are probably already tired of.  Even if it gets heavily discounted, it's extremely unlikely I'm going to try and buy another of this same VF-31.

Not that I'm expecting them to revisit the 31A at all, I just think they would get much better sales of that one by comparison, just from the relative demand that currently exists.