Bandai HG 1/100 YF-21

Convectuoso

4 hours ago, ZYZY said:

Anyone still waiting for HLJ to charge your preordered YF-21? I preordered on PO day and have not been charged yet for it. They only charged me for the decals 😓

I got mine charged, I think yours is probably back-ordered.

To be honest, the decals would really be the part to worry about. Most of the time those get produced far less than the kits themselves. In a perfect world Bandai would grow up and just include the like they did with the starwars kits.

Unfortunately for those that haven’t been charged yet, it more than likely is on back order, but I’d wait to see after Monday to be sure. Then there’s the option of waiting for the next batch or procuring them from other sources.

3 hours ago, kajnrig said:

I concur with @Sanity is Optional. I got charged for the decals as well. I suppose I should be glad that Bandai are at least no longer being stingy with making plenty of those.

I concur with @Sanity is Optional and @kajnrig. If your YF-21 isn't already charged with the decals, then it's backorder time.

This is the FIRST time I've gotten ANY of these Bandai 1/100 VFs from HLJ, so I guess I should count myself lucky. But I still need to get 2 more elsewhere.

52 minutes ago, KOG Water Dragon said:

But I still need to get 2 more elsewhere.

I preordered one set through hlj and I think the other two were bbts, but it might’ve been USA gundam store. Either way it’s gonna be a three month wait on those other two. I don’t know why I bother with hlj if I’m just gonna order the rest from a U.S. store. I think I just get overly excited to see something I’ve been wanting for a few decades.

2 hours ago, Raikkonen said:

Wow!!! I'm impressed.

This HG line needs to go full lightspeed with releases. 

I’m ok with them taking a little time between releases. That way maybe I can get through my backlog a bit and give them time to get things right.

I had a question for anyone here about the gunpod color. Bandai seems to make them greyish or blue grey, but almost all the toys before this year have had them in the same darker blue as the body. I tried doing a quick google search and at best I get black and white line art . Even the clips I searched on YouTube didn’t seem to show the gunpod. Or didn’t show them well enough to tell the color. I haven’t busted out the dvd to check yet though, but I still have those boxed away for now.

7 hours ago, MKT said:

Fighter-mode comparison pics from Yasumori Jinno on FB:

HG (left) vs Yamato 1/60

52FE991A-3D9F-46D6-8543-F621D75BAFF5.jpeg.7a96e090d4739fa9c38dfa283e72439b.jpeg

HG (left) vs DX Chogokin

487985E6-F933-45F8-BDE6-4DD7B0E2BC3E.jpeg.6c160839d62e42ed7f1d914df7046f6d.jpeg

These two comparisons are eye-opening, especially as compared with the DX.  :blink: 

Frankly?  I think they even came up with a slightly better shape than the Yamato, at least from the top down.  The bigger wings and tails look better overall, and while some of the changes might be related to the parts-swapping, the wings and tails really don't have any effect on the other modes.

1 hour ago, KOG Water Dragon said:

It's repainted, using stock decals, right? Shouldn't be too tough to copy if one wants.

At first I thought it was based on the Hasegawa Moon Shooters kit.

Actually after looking at the parts, they just recolored the yellow plastic to a tan grey and the blue to a basic grey. Other parts got changed to a darker grey, but it appears as though he didn’t even need to replace decals. The kit itself has a lot of that yellow color separated. It’s a simple color swap, but looks really great

2 hours ago, sh9000 said:

My YF-21 should be coming in soon.  Need to find time to build this and the HG YF-19.

I snapped up my 19’s to see where I need to deal with seams and such, got my first 21 last week and my Moderoid Orgus this week, but haven’t done anything with those. Glued parts for the Queadluun Rau and wishing I had more time off for these projects 

19 hours ago, sh9000 said:

My YF-21 should be coming in soon.  Need to find time to build this and the HG YF-19.

The YF-19 was a really quick build, maybe a couple hours, most of which was just cutting and trimming the parts.

Really wish they would consider doing full 1/72 kits like they did Frontier and Delta designs, I'd build a ton of those.

1 hour ago, Chronocidal said:

The YF-19 was a really quick build, maybe a couple hours, most of which was just cutting and trimming the parts.

Really wish they would consider doing full 1/72 kits like they did Frontier and Delta designs, I'd build a ton of those.

I think Bandai did these as 1/100 hg kits to be partsforming since they usually save 1/72 for more of a full transformation gimmick. Kinda like how the hg gundam kits are pretty great to look at and pose, but the gimmicks usually get more elaborate with the larger scales.

I do have a feeling that Max Factory may jump on a 1/72 non transforming kit since they have announced a 1/72 vf-19 battroid and they may end up eventually doing plus stuff.

I wonder if some 3D artists out there who likes this kit in spite of being a partsformer that has a 3D printer is going to upscale it for their 1/60 collections.

Edited by no3Ljm

On 2/1/2024 at 3:35 PM, Chronocidal said:

I'm going by the instructions so I've only built part of Battroid mode so far.  I want to get to Fighter mode to see how it looks next to the HMR VF-1 in Fighter mode.  I'll be getting the YF-21 in a couple of days so I want to see how it looks in Fighter mode next to the HMR VF-1 in Fighter mode as well.

Do you have a Fighter mode pic of the YF-19 next to the HMR VF-1?

3 hours ago, sh9000 said:

I'm going by the instructions so I've only built part of Battroid mode so far.  I want to get to Fighter mode to see how it looks next to the HMR VF-1 in Fighter mode.  I'll be getting the YF-21 in a couple of days so I want to see how it looks in Fighter mode next to the HMR VF-1 in Fighter mode as well.

Do you have a Fighter mode pic of the YF-19 next to the HMR VF-1?

I don’t have them next to each other, but by memory they are pretty close to the same length. The hmr may be slightly longer, but oddly the tv pilot is almost the same size