Bandai HG 1/100 YF-21

Convectuoso

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, badboy00z said:

I wonder if anyone is going to try to make the legs and arms fit to make it perfect transformation.

You forgot about the nosecone. ;)

Is this still part of a notion where we're still hoping that it can be done? A perfect transformation of an anime-accurate YF-21? :rolleyes:

On 1/2/2024 at 10:38 AM, no3Ljm said:

Is this still part of a notion where we're still hoping that it can be done? A perfect transformation of an anime-accurate YF-21? :rolleyes:

Maybe with nano machines like how Tony Stark would do it. 😅

Edited by Raikkonen

On 1/4/2024 at 7:00 AM, Raikkonen said:

Maybe with nano machines like how Tony Stark would do it. 😅

Or get some Transformium as per Age of Extinction. It is for transforming after all. :ph34r:

4 hours ago, MKT said:

Or get some Transformium as per Age of Extinction. It is for transforming after all. :ph34r:

I spared myself from watching, so I don't know what Transformium is exactly 😅

1 hour ago, Raikkonen said:

I spared myself from watching, so I don't know what Transformium is exactly 😅

I skipped it as well. I haven’t seen a bayformers since the second movie. The designs were so junky that I couldn’t tell where one transformer began and ended during the fight scenes. It just looked like a bunch of junk rolling around and the plot was about the same. To this day, nobody remembers how the parents ended up in the desert, just that it probably was explained but it was such a mess that they were just there.

37 minutes ago, Big s said:

I skipped it as well. I haven’t seen a bayformers since the second movie. The designs were so junky that I couldn’t tell where one transformer began and ended during the fight scenes. It just looked like a bunch of junk rolling around and the plot was about the same. To this day, nobody remembers how the parents ended up in the desert, just that it probably was explained but it was such a mess that they were just there.

I thought the Bumblebee movie was pretty fun. Not directed by Bay, new more likeable human protagonist, none of the really cringe humor from the Bay movies, and the Transformers designs were more classic and less cluttered. There's a great opening on Cybertron and I wish we could get a whole movie like that part.

Haha yeah most of Bayformers were a mess, only the first one made a good impression on me because it was something new at that time.

I still managed to catch all though, just for the interest of transforming robots & the spectacle on screen.

By the 3rd or 4th movie, there was no longer any logic on how they transform, no thought or at least pretence on how each part went from one form or another. It’s basically predetermined robot form aesthetics they wanted, then some alt bits randomly stuck on them.

Given that huge, huge dose of movie equivalent to ‘anime magic’, it was always interesting to me how toy designers engineer the transformation to have both modes look as close as possible to what was depicted on screen.

Anyway, I digressed enough. Back to topic..

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2024 at 10:33 PM, Big s said:

The designs were so junky that I couldn’t tell where one transformer began and ended during the fight scenes. 

On 1/6/2024 at 12:22 AM, MKT said:

Haha yeah most of Bayformers were a mess, only the first one made a good impression on me because it was something new at that time.

First one had charm. From the second film, it was like buckets of rusty bolts and carburetors thrown at the screen non stop. Bumblebee was ok, but I stopped right there.

14 hours ago, sh9000 said:

F46C6C0F-0A60-4D17-A838-628AA8CCE48D.jpeg.d9ced09532c33e3704891474ac665dff.jpeg

New pics and box art.

I really like the weathering here. 

Edited by Raikkonen

I really do wish Bandai's different divisions would acknowledge each other's existence, and maybe communicate.  This thing fixes pretty much every complaint I have about the DX YF-21, and I'm not even talking about transformation.. this one gets the details correct, where the DX decided "screw the lineart, I know better."

2 hours ago, Convectuoso said:

Screenshot_2024-01-18-16-44-58-104_com.instagram.android-edit.jpg.ab38964f43152eb5ea3a1216c2f6e7e2.jpg

The VF-1 caught my attention

Is that the old Arii kit? 

as much as I want a hg 1/100 vf-1 , I’m worried about the difficulty getting one. So far I’ve had no problems getting them from hlj, but I see above that others are still having bad luck. At least with the other Macross series like Plus and Frimtier and Delta etc then you can easily get one from pretty much any local hobby shop. But since the og Macross stuff still has embargo going, and it’s the most popular, I’m worried about getting any. Hlj usually only allows one per customer and they’re the only ones in Japan that seem to allow preorders. 

I usually order three of each with the intention that I will display all three modes together.I usually get my other copies from somewhere like bbts or USA gundam store. That’s definitely gonna be a major problem with the VF-1.

Then there the possibility of web exclusive variants or accessories that means a much bigger problem since the U.S. store won’t have them.

2 hours ago, Convectuoso said:

Screenshot_2024-01-18-16-44-58-104_com.instagram.android-edit.jpg.ab38964f43152eb5ea3a1216c2f6e7e2.jpg

The VF-1 caught my attention

It's the ancient kit.

There's really no reason for Bandai to try and make a 1/100 partsformer VF-1 when Wave has already made a perfect one a decade ago and still regularly re-release it.

aaaaa2.jpg.ae5d309a8e4e1c30dfb5566629db5c1d.jpgaaaaa3.jpg.820e68c8df99512585fe82bd813c8088.jpg

2 minutes ago, TMBounty_Hunter said:

There's really no reason for Bandai to try and make a 1/100 partsformer VF-1 when Wave has already made a perfect one a decade ago and still regularly re-release it.

I wouldn’t exactly call the wave kits perfect. They’re pretty cool, don’t get me wrong but there’s definitely a bit of room for improvement. The legs could get a bit more articulation. And the body has a bit of a chunkiness going on. The stripes on the chest look a bit too straight. But overall not bad. Wave did just do a rerelease of the VF-1 super A and S with decals for Max, Hikaru and Roy. Not sure if they included Kakizaki thoughIMG_2398.jpeg.d9f636a1a2a5d236c92b85b196068bc8.jpeg

3 hours ago, Big s said:

The legs could get a bit more articulation. 

That's the kind of thinking that got us the utterly atrocious Bandai YF-19 feet and knee gaps 😛

Articulation and other gimmicks are the enemy of good looking models.

The Wave VF-1 Battroid is great because it has the chunky limbs that the Battroid is supposed to have, which was the greatest weak point of Bandai's venture into 1/72 fully transforming VF-1. By focusing on Valk proportions they made the Battroid one of the ugliest things ever extruded.

Honestly any designs from the pre-3DCG days shouldn't even attempt multi-mode stuff because as hard as they try there's still plenty of rubber magic and physical inconsistency there to force you to compromise to the point where none of the modes look good if you don't exclusively focus on them.

12 minutes ago, TMBounty_Hunter said:

That's the kind of thinking that got us the utterly atrocious Bandai YF-19 feet and knee gaps 😛

I don’t think the vf-1 would have the same knee gaps. The 19 had a weird angled shape and odd folding gimmick that I don’t think we’d see on the og