Yeah...fan-service. 🤦‍♂️

1 hour ago, jvmacross said:

Really liked those Clone Wars scenes....but can't imagine folks without even basic knowledge of Clone Wars or Rebels lore having any clue what is going on...lol

Those folks who didn't watch Clone Wars or Rebels; this episode is gonna fly over their heads with both the flashback retrospective and the ending. 😒

Spoiler

Also, FYI, Dave Filoni has likened Ahsoka to Gandalf and his journey from Gandalf the Grey to Gandalf the White. So if you want to know what the change in wardrobe from grey to white symbolizes, think along those lines.

I really liked this episode, pretty fantastic.

Spoiler

Seeing live action Clone Wars was awesome, but also got me thinking how great a grounded, gritty Clone Wars mini-series could be, showing the brutality of the war on the ground. This episode did a great job of showing the suffering and loss the clones faced, the battles were always brutal, usually incredibly large scale, peace keepers became generals, there could be something there for a show, I'd watch it. 

31 minutes ago, Tking22 said:

I really liked this episode, pretty fantastic.

Reveal hidden contents

Seeing live action Clone Wars was awesome, but also got me thinking how great a grounded, gritty Clone Wars mini-series could be, showing the brutality of the war on the ground. This episode did a great job of showing the suffering and loss the clones faced, the battles were always brutal, usually incredibly large scale, peace keepers became generals, there could be something there for a show, I'd watch it. 

Totally agree. 

1 minute ago, Roy Focker said:

Great episode if you love fan service. Bigger issue is it was all just a dream sequence/vision quest episode. The 5th episode of an 8 episode series. Not a good move to waste an episode on such a thing for such short series.

Except nothing really will get resolved in 8 episodes, so doesn't really matter in terms of the bigger picture when there is surely a season 2 coming....

49 minutes ago, Mog said:

I figure this was her own final Jedi trial/test and unofficial knighting ceremony.

But what was the trial/test? Whether or not she wanted to live? We've seen nothing from her to give us the impression she was on the verge of giving up. Quite the opposite.

She struggles with being Vader’s apprentice and that legacy.  Is she just a warrior/soldier trained to kill, or is she more than that?

I’m speculating that her major hang-up in life is reconciling that issue.

Her disarming Vader (probably using techniques taught to her by Anakin) and not going for the kill stroke was her “Congratulations, you’ve passed the test.  You’re truly a Jedi” moment.

Just like when Luke pulled back from the edge of killing Papa V.  Or when Kanan shut down his lightsaber and calmly admitted he couldn’t always protect Ezra.

Yes, Ahsoka is who she is because of Anakin’s teachings and influence.  But that doesn’t mean she’s doomed to his fate.  Or that everything he taught her is bad.

At least this "re-match" made more sense than the Obi-wan v Vader re-match...at least for me knowing what has happened between them before....as for those with no knowledge of the history...I can't imagine it having any impact...much less making any sense

Edited by jvmacross

Is it too harsh to call Ahsoka a big budget fan fiction vanity project? Some stuff looks cool, but I can't see anyone in their right mind green lighting this show. Anyone beside Filoni would have told him, okay we can make this show, but the following changes are going be necessary for it to work for a wider audience.

1 hour ago, Mog said:

Just like when Luke pulled back from the edge of killing Papa V.

I didn't miss the echoing of both Luke and Ahsoka tossing aside the lightsaber instead of delivering the killing blow to Vader.

I dunno, I'm not sure that was a lesson Ahsoka needed to learn. She never struck me as being undisciplined.

22 minutes ago, Roy Focker said:

Is it too harsh to call Ahsoka a big budget fan fiction vanity project? Some stuff looks cool, but I can't see anyone in their right mind green lighting this show. Anyone beside Filoni would have told him, okay we can make this show, but the following changes are going be necessary for it to work for a wider audience.

I'm not a Rebels fan and am not particularly attached to Ahsoka, but the show is reasonably well done and entertaining. Is it just a Filoni vanity project? Maybe, and I'm not as high on his Star Wars work as others. But, it's not bad.

But, like you, I'm questioning where this is going with only three episodes left. A second season? The big movie Filoni is planning?

5 hours ago, Duke Togo said:

I'm not a Rebels fan and am not particularly attached to Ahsoka, but the show is reasonably well done and entertaining. Is it just a Filoni vanity project? Maybe, and I'm not as high on his Star Wars work as others. But, it's not bad.

But, like you, I'm questioning where this is going with only three episodes left. A second season? The big movie Filoni is planning?

Disney needs a 'win' for their streaming content and most of the Star Wars live action shows have a pretty good draw.  I'd put my money on a season two.

5 hours ago, Roy Focker said:

Is it too harsh to call Ahsoka a big budget fan fiction vanity project?

Is to too harsh to call The Last Jedi a big-budget fan-fiction vanity project?

Or any of the sequel trilogy, for that matter?

Between Rian Johnson, JJ Abrams, and Kathleen Kennedy, almost every Disney Star Wars production could be painted with the same brush... 🤔

5 hours ago, Roy Focker said:

I'll wait till the the season is over before commenting on that. And if it does go to a season 2, then that would color my opinion more. But we'll see when we get there.

5 hours ago, Duke Togo said:

Yes. It's not bad. So far. But, just because something isn't bad doesn't mean it's good (So far.) It just hasn't hit the notes (yet, or yet to be seen).

47 minutes ago, Tking22 said:

If Disney wanted a strong female lead for their sequel trilogy they should've just used Ahsoka, she was right there, but nooooooo, we got Rey Skywalker....

Yeah. We've said that WAYYYYYYYYYY to many times.

16 minutes ago, tekering said:

...Or any of the sequel trilogy, for that matter?

Between Rian Johnson, JJ Abrams, and Kathleen Kennedy, almost every Disney Star Wars production could be painted with the same brush... 🤔

I would say a lot of people wished we could just write off the sequel trilogy altogether but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, SOME LADY ONE is keeping it in there.

I think you can call it whatever you want. There's always going to be diverse opinions. It's a good thing. 
personally, i think this series takes us back to the Star Wars many have missed. Flaws and all. And , like the EU, there will be some fan service. Though , arguably, well placed.

43 minutes ago, azrael said:

My my...

Reveal hidden contents

When last we saw of Thrawn, he was much more fit. Now the great Grand Admiral has a belly.

Anyone else gettin' Undead Trooper-vibes (the pre-disney/EU Death Trooper) from Thrawn's battlion?

Spoiler

Lol. Ya I immediately thought two things, Thrawn looking hella outta shape. And something isn't right with those storm troopers.!

But they sure looked cool !

I really enjoyed this one!