The GTC Legacy Project

Shawn

On 12/17/2022 at 12:08 PM, Shawn said:

If anyone has any of the older or newer catalogs I'd love to see them.

I think I have a 93 and 94? I've got to do some more digging over the holidays.

One goal is to try to reach out to Ron as see if he has any stories to tell about his business over the decades, I'm sure he has quite a few.

I have tried to get a hold of him for a long time. I may have a catalog from around 1990. I know where it is. I will scan pics of it for you soon as I can 

• 2 weeks later...

Anthony sent another video, I'll upload it tomorrow.
At the end he opened a random box on the stack...

An Imai assortment box

image.png.23a263035b533fa3614c1fbd384759a7.png

Inside....WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That box is 2 layers deep (10x4)=80 total, all NOS. It is literally a time machine back to 1983.

image.png.88db8b91df4bb5db8059a7dcfe364a6c.png

1 minute ago, Shawn said:

Anthony sent another video, I'll upload it tomorrow.
At the end he opened a random box on the stack...

An Imai assortment box

image.png.23a263035b533fa3614c1fbd384759a7.png

Inside....WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That box is 2 layers deep (10x4)=80 total, all NOS. It is literally a time machine back to 1983.

image.png.88db8b91df4bb5db8059a7dcfe364a6c.png

That is super cool..

Just logged on for the first time in many months and OMG! this is absolutelyincredible news!

It's like that recurring dream we've all had where  you walk into this random, unknown hobby shop and you turn down one of the isles only to find a treasure trove of all of your vintage grail anime kits - Except this is REAL! UNFREAKINGBELIEVABLE!

As for spreading the word, if there is any Starblazers/SB Yamato stuff I would think the folks over at ourstarblazers.com CosmoDNA would love this story and be very interested in letting their readers know about available vintage kits etc.

Now you'll have to excuse me while I go search for some grail kits I have yet to add to my collection.

Edited by Chas

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone here picking up any of the shipping cases Wise Guys is selling?

The new case of 48 Arii 1/100 Strike Battroids is crazy wild. I love the fact that they packed both the Hikaru and Max and split them up 24 each

The Imai Queadluun Rau is another awesome one. Just amazing we are getting a chance to see these for the first time ever,

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.png

s-l500 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (7).jpg

s-l1600 (8).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (6).jpg

I've ordered from them three times (and there is still more I want) and have been very happy so far. I used to order from Ron back in the early 90s so it is great to get some of these that are from his stock. I saw on a Facebook page last weekend someone had visited the warehouse and purchased a bunch of kits. In his photo he posted he had a Votoms shipping box so I asked if they were selling them. He said they gave it to him and if I contacted them they would probably ship my order in one. So I did and they said they would gladly ship it to me in a Macross one, it just might be a lot in shipping. I had no problem paying the extra but when I got my order it was in a normal box, never did pay extra in shipping (I did ask how much it would be but they never answered)  I totally understand if they want to sell them, they are cool and unique items, but when I tried to contact them again I didn't get a response.

Edited by Jeromy

28 minutes ago, Jeromy said:

I've ordered from them three times (and there is still more I want) and have been very happy so far. I used to order from Ron back in the early 90s so it is great to get some of these that are from his stock. I saw on a Facebook page last weekend someone had visited the warehouse and purchased a bunch of kits. In his photo he posted he had a Votoms shipping box so I asked if they were selling them. He said they gave it to him and if I contacted them they would probably ship my order in one. So I did and they said they would gladly ship it to me in a Macross one, it just might be a lot in shipping. I had no problem paying the extra but when I got my order it was in a normal box, never did pay extra in shipping (I did ask how much it would be but they never answered)  I totally understand if they want to sell them, they are cool and unique items, but when I tried to contact them again I didn't get a response.

Wiseguys got "wise" on the value of empty Macross shipping boxes....🤑

12 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

Wiseguys got "wise" on the value of empty Macross shipping boxes....🤑

Haha! Yep. I would still like to buy one if the price isn't astronomical. I'm sure I wasn't the only one who inquired about them. Maybe I should have asked for an Ideon one, something not as popular.

8 minutes ago, Jeromy said:

Haha! Yep. I would still like to buy one if the price isn't astronomical. I'm sure I wasn't the only one who inquired about them. Maybe I should have asked for an Ideon one, something not as popular.

Depends on your definition of "astronomical"....based on his sold listings for empty Macross "boxes"....it seems the minimum entry fee for one of his boxes will be north of $150 shipped...

1 hour ago, jvmacross said:

Depends on your definition of "astronomical"....based on his sold listings for empty Macross "boxes"....it seems the minimum entry fee for one of his boxes will be north of $150 shipped...

I didn't even see those put up, they must have sold fast. I did notice the date was after I had asked about them. I wish he had sent me a message and gave me a price for one. It is a lot to spend on an empty box but they are historical and not many have survived.

1 hour ago, Shawn said:

yes please grab the close up pics if you can. What is the mini Orguss poster?

Someone on the post asked him the same question. He replied with a close up of it.

It's pretty cool isn't it. I haven't seen them list it on ebay yet though.

FB_IMG_1677374006833.jpg

29 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Dang I don't have that one....need one :)

I hope they list these kind of things  soon. I remember Ron throwing in stuff like this with my orders back in the day.  I even ordered some Macross encyclopedias from him. Wish I still had those.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting all the photos guys! I'm having some serious flash backs😁 I think those "flyers" are shipping box inserts. They're not color, but help identify stock. - MT

The Macross Packaging Artbook says that the release schedule was about one kit a week...the flyer seems to support that for the months of May thru July of '83...and into August '83....

Imagine being a Macross kit completist during the SDFM/DYRL era!

Has anyone ever added up what that would have cost during the entire initial run starting in September '82 thru the last kits featuring DYRL in '84?

So, all the offers I submitted were accepted. The individual item prices weren’t bad, but as the shipping wasn’t combined, I ended up paying a bit more than I would have liked to ship a few small model kits domestically.

I picked up a few vintage Nichimo and Imai kits to fill in some holes in the collection.

Now to sit back and watch Bandai reissue all this stuff over the next few years…

8 hours ago, Shawn said:

I'm going to be visiting the Wise Guys warehouse soon...so will take lots more pictures and videos  :)

Hopefully, you can bring back a truckload of vintage kits to sell at this year's convention.

I flew to New York and visited the Wise Guys Warehouse this week!
I'll write up a couple reports and post pictures soon. They have an UNBELIEVABLE amount of kits.
When you see these shelves, remember they are always 2-3 kits deep!!

Crawling shelves of vintage Macross (and other series) NOS model kits was a flashback to when I was a kid and my mom took me to our local model shops (they had a small Japanese sci-fi kit section I would go straight to).
I also got a sneak peek at their untouched warehouse which has the other over 50% of the kits they have yet unpack  and inventory. It was floor to ceiling with boxes.

Anthony and his crew (Victor and Joseph) were incredible hosts...it was a blast.

For the pic at the bottom of Testor's ROBOT series (repackaged Nichimo 1/200s) I got up on a ladder 😛

20230315_115756.jpg

20230315_115838.jpg

20230315_115943.jpg

20230315_120001.jpg

20230315_125136.jpg

20230315_150359.jpg

20230315_152554.jpg

20230315_113941.jpg

20230315_114151.jpg

20230315_114442.jpg