Jump to content

Mortal Kombat 2021


Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, anubis20 said:

WTF was up with reptile? At least in the first movie they gave him the ninja outfit. 

I liked how he looked. He's looked far more reptilian then he's been another generic palette-swap ninja in green. He was really only a palette-swap ninja for the first three games, when they still used sprites, and still palette-swapped characters. Reptile has been reptilian for the majority of the games, usually a reptile-like person/monster thing, in various forms of ninja-like clothing. But he's also been a straight-up reptile person like he was in this, no clothes, I liked it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Tking22 said:

 

  Hide contents

He shouldn't have been tied to any legacy characters, let alone Scorpion, one of the most popular characters.  

 

Spoiler

With the periodic visions of hell that he saw throughout the movie, I expected him to slowly be taken over by Scorpion, as like an avenging spirit or something; by the end of the movie, "Cole" would no longer exist and Scorpion would have successfully returned from the dead. But nope, guy is just loosely related to Scorps and Scorps just kind of... comes back, somehow.

 

4 hours ago, Tking22 said:

I'm not bummed there wasn't a tournament, I don't know how many of you actually play or know MK lore, but the vast majority of the story and fights happen outside the actual tournament. In fact, the tournament usually gets glossed over within the first couple hours, only in the first three games was the tournament a real factor, and once again, the vast majority of the fights and story happened outside the tournament.

A tournament would give the movie some much-needed structure, which this movie lacks. But even that aside, given that they emphasize the tournament in the early parts of the movie, it's only good storytelling to pay off on it. They could have neglected the tournament altogether, that could have worked just as well, but as it is, it's just... poorly executed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, kajnrig said:

 

  Reveal hidden contents

With the periodic visions of hell that he saw throughout the movie, I expected him to slowly be taken over by Scorpion, as like an avenging spirit or something; by the end of the movie, "Cole" would no longer exist and Scorpion would have successfully returned from the dead. But nope, guy is just loosely related to Scorps and Scorps just kind of... comes back, somehow.

 

A tournament would give the movie some much-needed structure, which this movie lacks. But even that aside, given that they emphasize the tournament in the early parts of the movie, it's only good storytelling to pay off on it. They could have neglected the tournament altogether, that could have worked just as well, but as it is, it's just... poorly executed.

Oh I definitely agree, there absolutely should've been a tournament, I expected one, and it seems basically everyone else that watched this did too, I just personally wasn't too bummed it didn't happen. I blame the marketing, it definitely seemed like we were getting the original MK1 tournament, but nope.

Agreed on Cole too, 

Spoiler

Towards the end I thought he'd just become Scorpion and that's how he gets to Earth, or maybe Cole would get temporarily possessed by Scorpion, but nope. Before Cole revealed his arcana to be near literal plot armor, I thought his ability might be to become Scorpion for a short time, but nope.

There were a number of odd disappointments, but I liked it enough I hope we get a sequel with the big 9/10 tournament from the first game, with some Johnny Cage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, anubis20 said:

WTF was up with reptile? At least in the first movie they gave him the ninja outfit. 

So you prefer a reptile in a ninja suit? Think about that for a second. A reptile............in a ninja suit!:rofl:

We need to get Godzilla a tuxedo. :p

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, sqidd said:

So you prefer a reptile in a ninja suit? Think about that for a second. A reptile............in a ninja suit!:rofl:

We need to get Godzilla a tuxedo. :p

At the very least a top hat.

Nothing says classy like rubber-suit ‘zilla rocking a top hat. :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Tking22 said:

Oh I definitely agree, there absolutely should've been a tournament, I expected one, and it seems basically everyone else that watched this did too, I just personally wasn't too bummed it didn't happen. I blame the marketing, it definitely seemed like we were getting the original MK1 tournament, but nope.

Agreed on Cole too, 

  Hide contents

Towards the end I thought he'd just become Scorpion and that's how he gets to Earth, or maybe Cole would get temporarily possessed by Scorpion, but nope. Before Cole revealed his arcana to be near literal plot armor, I thought his ability might be to become Scorpion for a short time, but nope.

There were a number of odd disappointments, but I liked it enough I hope we get a sequel with the big 9/10 tournament from the first game, with some Johnny Cage.

Let's face it: if the MK 2021 film were a Christmas present, then all we got this year was  a lump of Cole...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, sqidd said:

So you prefer a reptile in a ninja suit? Think about that for a second. A reptile............in a ninja suit!:rofl:

We need to get Godzilla a tuxedo. :p

I mean, saying a humanoid reptilian should be a cgi lizard instead of what's depicted in the games because he's a reptile is like saying Sub-Zero should have been a cgi chimp instead of a human in a ninja suit because primates.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/27/2021 at 9:20 AM, sqidd said:

So you prefer a reptile in a ninja suit? Think about that for a second. A reptile............in a ninja suit!:rofl:

We need to get Godzilla a tuxedo. :p

Uhhh as opposed to the overgrown iguana that was in the movie? Yes! :unknw:

 

brg771xywao21.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We don't expect Scorpion to look like a Scorpion. I'm not steeped in the lore but since the basis of the characters is a pallet swap, a story that made Scorpion/Sub-Zero, and Reptile all being humans competitive with each other with something that related them would be fine by me. If their stories progressed it would be easy to have something happen to Reptile that indeed did make him more reptilian... ie. he's killed and brought back in a more deadly form. 

EDIT - they should have gone full Mortal Kombat extended universe. Give us a first movie about that trio and then sequels about the others that then led to The Avengers-esque movie that is the full tournament. 

Edited by jenius
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Show of hands. Who here actually paid money to see Mortal Kombat: Annihilation? I did and thankfully it was one dollar. Almost walked out of the theater when I realized I had nothing better to do which was the 1990s for ya, lol.

 

 

Edited by TangledThorns
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I remember seeing it in the theater, but for the life of me I can't remember who I'd have gone with.  Yeah, it sucked pretty bad, but was somehow still closer to the games than the new MK movie.

I'll go to my grave defending the '95 film, though.  It was cheesy, it had a tiny budget, but it was fun and didn't take too many liberties with the plot of the first game, simple as it was.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

I'll go to my grave defending the '95 film, though.  It was cheesy, it had a tiny budget, but it was fun and didn't take too many liberties with the plot of the first game, simple as it was.

Same here @mikeszekely! The thing about the 95 movie was it didn't take itself too seriously!  It was just fun...something that has been utterly lost in modern hollyweird. I can still watch it today when I come across it on some random cable channel and be like "cool, Mortal Kombat is on" 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

I remember seeing it in the theater, but for the life of me I can't remember who I'd have gone with.  Yeah, it sucked pretty bad, but was somehow still closer to the games than the new MK movie.

I'll go to my grave defending the '95 film, though.  It was cheesy, it had a tiny budget, but it was fun and didn't take too many liberties with the plot of the first game, simple as it was.

+1. I think the 1995 MK is kinda like a generational film with its soundtrack and style of the time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Show of hands. Who here actually paid money to see Mortal Kombat: Annihilation? I did and thankfully it was one dollar. Almost walked out of the theater when I realized I had nothing better to do which was the 1990s for ya, lol.

 

 

*raises hand sheepishly*

To be honest though, if MK:A had a better Shao Khan, it might not have sucked quite so badly...

Edited by pengbuzz
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

This week the wife and I watched the original MORTAL KOMBAT and... MK: Annihilation, lol. The original was still fun but the sequel... wow, still bad. It was my first time watching it since its release in 1997. The fight scene choreography was decent but I think the absolute worst parts is the VFX, even for 1997 they were just terrible. What made the producers think they would be acceptable enough for release?? Still, MK: Annihilation was so bad that it was kinda enjoyable, lol.

EDIT: MK: Annihilation did have a better soundtrack but I don't think it was well utilized at all.

Edited by TangledThorns
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...