Last week was filler. This week was an ok plot-point-moving episode. I get the feeling...

Spoiler

...they are making way too much noise and it's biting back now. Rex and Cut had the right idea to lay low and disappear. A squad of clones in special armor is attracting too much attention. They may have their chips removed but they're still a calling too much attention to themselves. Best to head to the Outer Rim.

You know given that the...

Spoiler

the new favorite these days is Ahsoka in the SW universe, I expect her to make an appearance some time in this series.  After all, Rex had no connection to the Martez sisters, if this is not a screaming sign that Tano is coming back at some point, I don't know what it is.  

I'm somewhat ambivalent about Crosshair, I almost think that of all of the squad, he is the one most likely to have the chip removed, and still be stuck in his old ways.  Although getting him back on the squad would be useful. 

I'm sure the next episode has Crosshair showing up.

Edited by kalvasflam

Watching the dialogue a little closer this time,

Spoiler

you could tell that Rex was doing his damnedest to not mention Ahsoka or her contributions to Rex’s rescue.

It’s as if someone took the concept of Bespin, threw in some Kaminoan design flourishes, and tossed in some Alien/horror movie atmosphere.

Regarding the ongoing story, I really hope

Spoiler

Tech did a thorough analysis, and the only big reveal is that she’s an unaltered, “pure” clone of Jango (ala Boba).

Also, nice to see that they showed us why Fennec is a formidable bounty hunter.  We know she’s a vicious sniper from Mandalorian, but this ep. demonstrated some of her other skills.

On 6/26/2021 at 9:37 AM, tekering said:

I love the production design in this series.  The abandoned Kaminoan cloning facility was a fascinating setting.

Yeah, agreed. Tech must have been improved greatly since REBELS as the animation is way smoother, better textured and more enjoyable to watch..

Just finished watching the entire show...I was glad it got better as it progressed....so like all other shows pre-TROS...it has some sort of tie-in with Darth Sidious' return plans.....I like where your thoughts are taking you @TangledThorns....I do hope she gets an re-introduction in TBoBB...surely hanging out with The Bad Batch would have turned her into a badass...still, where has she been all this time "in-universe"?...assuming she did not get killed off at some point

20 hours ago, technoblue said:

I like how Devil's Deal is a Filoni filler episode, but a very well done filler establishing more context for this series. ;)

And for another series.

. . . Thanks for the gut-punch in the feels, Dave:  

Spoiler

Cham’s speech about wanting better for Hera hits on a personal level and a story level too (since we know the life that Hera eventually leads).

It’s definitely filler, but one that was nicely executed.

Spoiler

The channels youtube are still chattering about Omega being Force sensitive, and I'm not getting that vibe. 

I like the idea of her making an appearance in the Boba Fett series coming up, that would be cool.  

"Sister...So, you have a twin sister....."

That last episode.....they didn't give that one clone a personality for nothing.  I wonder what his importance will be.  

My SWAG (“Scientific/Speculative Wild-Ass Guess”) about Howser:

Spoiler

Ryloth was already won for the Republic.  So, the Jedi left, but left a contingent of clones to help fortify the planet and do mop-up duty.

Order 66 makes the clones rage-kill the Jedi, but no Jedi on Ryloth.

Cham ain’t a Jedi, so any relationship between Cham and Howser the clone wouldn’t be strained by the inhibitor chip.  Cham hasn’t really defied the Republic/Empire (until that last moment), so no need to eliminate him.

Again, you could poke some holes in this idea.  But it’s at least plausible.

Of course, he could just have a defective chip, but we’ll see.

2 hours ago, peter said:
  Hide contents

The channels youtube are still chattering about Omega being Force sensitive, and I'm not getting that vibe. 

I like the idea of her making an appearance in the Boba Fett series coming up, that would be cool.  

"Sister...So, you have a twin sister....."

That last episode.....they didn't give that one clone a personality for nothing.  I wonder what his importance will be. 

Spoiler

I don't think Omega is Force-sensitive. She is one of the 5 genetically "defective" clones. What modifications she has yet to be displayed. I'm surprised no Imp reviewed the profiles of the Clone Force 99, or they would have seen that Echo is a "reg".

Good soldiers follow orders.

Spoiler

Crosshair's inhibitor chip was cranked up, so that sort of explains him going above and beyond Order 66.

The green guy, Howser?  Looks like he got his own action figure, so I'm guessing he'll have some sort of role to play.

So, I probably missed a bunch of stuff here.  I understand Order 66 makes clones want to kill Jedi, that I get.  Does Order 66 activate the chip, or was the chip running the whole time to keep the clones obedient?  Did Order 66 just heighten their obedience?  Because in Howser's case, it didn't appear to take away his personality, he takes on a casual tone with people (referring to people by name etc).

When Wrecker got lit, it was like he suddenly didn't recognize his friends and wanted to kill them.

I dunno, the whole thing is still a bit confusing for me.  It's entertaining, but then again, I'm not very bright and I'm easily entertained.  

12 minutes ago, peter said:

Good soldiers follow orders.

Hide contents

Crosshair's inhibitor chip was cranked up, so that sort of explains him going above and beyond Order 66.

The green guy, Howser?  Looks like he got his own action figure, so I'm guessing he'll have some sort of role to play.

So, I probably missed a bunch of stuff here.  I understand Order 66 makes clones want to kill Jedi, that I get.  Does Order 66 activate the chip, or was the chip running the whole time to keep the clones obedient?  Did Order 66 just heighten their obedience?  Because in Howser's case, it didn't appear to take away his personality, he takes on a casual tone with people (referring to people by name etc).

When Wrecker got lit, it was like he suddenly didn't recognize his friends and wanted to kill them.

I dunno, the whole thing is still a bit confusing for me.  It's entertaining, but then again, I'm not very bright and I'm easily entertained.  

Spoiler

The first episode of the bad batch, and the last two episodes of clone wars, seem to indicate that order 66 specifically targeted the jedi and any clone who refused to obey order 66 (possibly anybody who gave aid to a jedi).  That could explain why Wrecker acted like he did, he knew they had disobeyed the order, or maybe his repeated blows to the head were a factor.

Spoiler

Again, Cham hadn’t done anything to trigger the Order 66 beat down.

Clone Wars’ take on the chip seems to be that it made the clones wanna kill the Jedi, pretty much compelled them to do the deed (despite years of fighting side by side with ‘em).

But again, this is just all of us theorizing with no official confirmation.  For all we know, Howser could just have a chip that never properly activated. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Oh sure, it looks like Hera.  My problem is with the voice, specifically that distinctive Twi'lek accent, which was completely absent from Vanessa Marshall's performance in Rebels.

Worse still, another inconsistency the voice director seems to have missed is the pronunciation of "Twi'lek" itself, which sounds like "twilight" when they say it in Rebels but "twee lick" in The Bad Batch.  Make up your minds, guys!

Considering she and Kanan are just pups right now, I can see Hera losing the accent after a life out on the fringes, talking Basic with a bunch of different species and folks.

Lotta people know how to "code switch" in real life.  So, I don't have an issue with Hera having a Twi'lek accent right now in Bad Batch.  Especially since it's not like she's been off of Ryloth for any significant time.

10 hours ago, tekering said:

Oh sure, it looks like Hera.  My problem is with the voice, specifically that distinctive Twi'lek accent, which was completely absent from Vanessa Marshall's performance in Rebels.

Worse still, another inconsistency the voice director seems to have missed is the pronunciation of "Twi'lek" itself, which sounds like "twilight" when they say it in Rebels but "twee lick" in The Bad Batch.  Make up your minds, guys!

Bugged me at first as well, however, it is the same voice actress, and there was a scene with her father in Rebels where she slipped back into the Twi'lek accent.  So, not entirely inconsistent.  I'm not convinced that they're not just going to move on to the next episode and leave this tread dangling, but as I've been rewatching Clone Wars, it's interesting how many threads are woven between all of Filoni's series. 

2 minutes ago, levzloi said:

Bugged me at first as well, however, it is the same voice actress, and there was a scene with her father in Rebels where she slipped back into the Twi'lek accent.  So, not entirely inconsistent.  I'm not convinced that they're not just going to move on to the next episode and leave this tread dangling, but as I've been rewatching Clone Wars, it's interesting how many threads are woven between all of Filoni's series. 

If the show continues on, I’m sure they’ll revisit Ryloth, but this thread will have to dangle for the rest of the season. The whole point was to plant the seeds for the Rebellion. Unfortunately, the do need to cover the existing threads this season; will the Kaminoians ever get Omega back, face off with Crosshairs.

The accent thing is very intentional with adult Hera.  "Back home" (or when highly stressed with family etc) she slips back to her "native Rylothian" accent (which just so happens to sound a lot like French).  But "with everyone else" she uses her "practiced/acquired neutral standard Basic accent".   

I noticed the accent thing too, but as many have pointed out, she reverted at least once in Rebels when she was talking to her pops.

Definitely has fans talking though :)

Honestly, I forgot most of the key stuff with Hera and her dad, other than that there was tension between them.

. . . And that Chop was pulled out of a wrecked Y-Wing.

Hera being a damn good pilot has been hammered from a variety of Rebels eps, so that was kinda hard to forget.

If I'm not mistaken, one of Hera's father's lieutenants in rebels was the little girl that followed the clone troopers around during the Twilek arc in the first season of Clone Wars, and one of those Clone troopers had a little Twilek girl painted on his visor during the 2nd invasion of Geonosis.  lots of conections from Clone Wars, Rebels, and now The Bad Batch.  I hope Omega shows up in the Book of Boba Fett.

Spoiler

Howzer...... Ok, full out disobeying orders. 

Will Disney show him get executed or will he and the others who rebelled be rescued?