I'm watching the one with the Transformer guy... "He's like an alcoholic, running a bar, drinking all his profits". Wow, that is such a brilliant analogy! I apologize if he is friends with anyone here, but I should show this to my wife so I can say "See? I'm not that bad!" :p

All reality shows are fake. I should know I've worked on a bunch of them. On this one show, there was a rich guy that was suppose to give some money to some kid with cancer that he found by chance by seeing a donation can in some random market. The can was a prop I made and the supermarket was some place they drove him to. And if you happen to watch Kitchen Nightmares with that Ramsay dude, almost none of the restaurants he helped survive. These guys are in and out of there in a week. There's no way they can change anybody's lives.

And the episode with the Transfomer guy... everybody here knows that you don't buy Transformers in the Downtown Toy District, all they sell there are bootlegs and cheap toys you find in 99cent and drug stores. For Transformers you go to Frank and Sons or Marshalls or Ross. The place they were in must have been staged, because I've never seen a display that neat and full of TF in Downtown.

My wife called me into the room during this show with the Japanese robot guy on... my collection is nowhere near as insane as other folks, yet it felt like she was subtly hinting that I watch it as a lesson or something.

Only thing it reaffirmed for me is that reality TV is still bullsh*t and that apparently collecting means nothing unless you insist on sticking dollar values on everything you own. I keep a log of everything and know how much it's worth mostly for insurance purposes, but I just didn't care for the overall tone of the show portraying robot guy like he had serious issues. If anything, the show is about storage issues; it'd make more sense for it to be a renovation show where they help the collectors build better storage/display space in their home.. anyhow, only seen one episode (got up and left part way through it actually... lol), but it just has the wrong approach to it from what I've seen. Other episodes may have worse cases in it, but I didn't see a problem with robot guy other than he needs more shelving in his garage.

So is that "Breakdown Robot" really worth $1500?

You'd have to be a big Botcon attender to pay that much. It depends on what your collection consist of. If you've been collecting Botcon Exclusives then you might really want that one.

The funny thing to me is that these guys never heard of climate controlled storage. Notice their wives don't ask them to sell their collections, but they just don't want that crap all over the place. The ones that have to sell the ones that are broke and can't pay their own bills. But the ones with girlfriends don't seem to have that problem.

Yeah, the show really seems like it's just there to help people with storage issues. Kind of affended that they've pulled out the shrink a few times already as these guys aren't necessarily crazy or mental. Otherwise, they should be setting up appointments for everyone who ends up buying the collectors' junk! The other purpose of the show should really be: spend within your means. Definitely nice to see these junkpiles with the occasional actual collections as well though I kind of prefer the show Toy Hunter as finding toy treasure is much more exciting.

I watched the recent one, with the robot guy. Apparently he is friends with Josh B over at Collection DX. I wonder if that one was all staged too.

I found it funny that for the Battlestar Galactica collector, they bring the actor who played the main character to his house to convince him to organize his stuff, while for the robot dude they bring.... the shrink. Talk about a raw deal. :p I thought they were going to fly in Go Nagai to appraise those Jumbo Machinders! :D (I'm kidding, of course I didn't really think that, but it still sucks that they brought in the therapist, who briefly mentioned anxiety being the root cause of his obsession, but then just left it at that -- making the entire visit irrelevant).

post-151-0-66209100-1347578692_thumb.jpgpost-151-0-74019100-1347578693_thumb.jpgpost-151-0-78316200-1347578694_thumb.jpgpost-151-0-17190200-1347578696_thumb.jpg

teehee.

It would have been cool if they gave the robot collector the voight-kemp test...

"Describe in single words, only the good things that come in to your mind about... your mother."

"I'll tell you about my mother!"

And then he start shooting the psychiatrist with the fake gun props on his wall. PEW PEW PEW!!!

I watched Collection Intervention solely because it was mentioned in this thread and I'm a little miffed. Sure, collect within your means. If I'm going to buy a toy, I work overtime and then I buy it with that money. Nothing comes out of my first 40 hours what so ever. I will say that these people should have no say in what makes these collectors happy. Look at all these suit and tie drones that are just miserable. If they had something they could enjoy like we have they would be a lot happier. I would literally throat punch the clown who came into my house for whatever reason and made negative commentary about my collection.

As for their significant others, they need to come to some sort of agreement regarding their collection. If the collecting is adversely affecting the family it needs to be adjusted. However, and I'm just going to be blunt about this, it's a lot easier to find a new girl than to find a VF-25S Renewal for a good price. People are going to accept me for me and me as a whole or they just won't be in my life.

That episode with the guy who collected Battlestar Galactica, I felt bad for him. His wife was "I don't want that in the house." I would've been like "F!@# you!" That house is half his, if not more, since he seems to be the one making money. He should be able to put it where he wants. I'm glad my wife and I have a great understanding of this stuff. I can see why these guys often have to hide what they buy. Not a good thing in a relationship.

I've yet to actually watch this show but frankly I find this whole genre of exploitative reality programing really crass and offensive. You're taking people with clear symptoms of underlying psychological disorder and exploiting their problems for cheap ratings rather than actually getting these people help. How is that not a despicable thing to do?

That episode with the guy who collected Battlestar Galactica, I felt bad for him. His wife was "I don't want that in the house." I would've been like "F!@# you!" That house is half his, if not more, since he seems to be the one making money. He should be able to put it where he wants. I'm glad my wife and I have a great understanding of this stuff. I can see why these guys often have to hide what they buy. Not a good thing in a relationship.

The thing that surprised me about this guy's wife was that he owns a comic book store. She didn't think he would want his collection in there house when they first started dating? It wasn't like the guy with the GI Joes/Hot Wheels collection that was all over the house. My wife rolls her eyes when I buy stuff but she accepts that this is a part of my life and, thus, hers.

QFT

Lets get back on topic.. this is how they will look for a couple more days, then two will go into their boxes, and be replaced with other things..

by Emerald Force?

I'll be updating my pics here pretty soon, I just bought a VF-0S and a YF-19. With NOOOOOOOOO idea where I'm gonna put them.

I think Elise might have a suggestion... :lol:

Alright alright... back on topic.

Lets get back on topic.. this is how they will look for a couple more days, then two will go into their boxes, and be replaced with other things..

Wow, my VF-17S is in almost the EXACT same pose as yours there. Nice crouch for the 19 too. I hadn't thought to try that out.

I'll be updating my pics here pretty soon, I just bought a VF-0S and a YF-19. With NOOOOOOOOO idea where I'm gonna put them.

My ordinarily nice, clean office has gone completely off course now because of these new valks. Well, ever since the two 171's and the spare 1J. Now I'm up to a pile of valks on a completely different piece of furniture (double 171's, 1J, 1A Cavalier, 0A... ahem, for customizing Kurisama) and I'm running out of room with the 25G, 17D, 19P and 4 coming up. I managed to squeeze my 19F on to the other shelf luckily.

Edited by Mommar

As for their significant others, they need to come to some sort of agreement regarding their collection. If the collecting is adversely affecting the family it needs to be adjusted. However, and I'm just going to be blunt about this, it's a lot easier to find a new girl than to find a VF-25S Renewal for a good price. People are going to accept me for me and me as a whole or they just won't be in my life.

I've got a wife who feeds my collection. For my birthday, she found one model kit on-line, and asked if I wanted it (resin VF-11 Super Battroid). I said "of course!" Birthday comes, and I get that kit...

along with 5 others!!

She knows I don't like the Bandai Frontier kits, so she grabbed me a couple of the classic reissues in 1/72, another Thunder Focus, and the 1/100 VF-2SS. Wonder what I would have gotten if I'd actually requested some kits?

Well this year the wife got me the batman begins hot toys fig, but in previous year she had gotten me the 1/48 weathered roy and to make sure that I don't even sell it, i bought a few more. =) Well these are the unopened ones. Since I managed to snag four of the Roys and four of the Hikaru

BTW Exo.....they're here...mail man rang the bell. So I guess I'll get started on them first before I go and paint the display/coffee table for the tumbler today.

Edited by Kicker773

post-151-0-66209100-1347578692_thumb.jpgpost-151-0-74019100-1347578693_thumb.jpgpost-151-0-78316200-1347578694_thumb.jpgpost-151-0-17190200-1347578696_thumb.jpg

teehee.

It would have been cool if they gave the robot collector the voight-kemp test...

"Describe in single words, only the good things that come in to your mind about... your mother."

"I'll tell you about my mother!"

And then he start shooting the psychiatrist with the fake gun props on his wall. PEW PEW PEW!!!

Speaking of this dude, he was at Comickaze today, looking for more stuff to buy. He was buying an Optimus Prime sketch.

I still treasure the Bandai ones... I remember they were the first valk I owned in 96 17D valk. I don't count the blue mospeada fighter that I had in 89' Although I just completed my legios and thread all three colors lol

I remember those days those were the coolest and only Valkyries a person could buy. The Internet was still new so I had to check my local anime shop.