Macross Δ (Delta) - announcement thread

renegadeleader1

One must keep in mind that the average viewer in the target audience won't know very much about foreign names or their significance and any hidden meanings that they might posses - let alone the aeronautical significance of them!

Yeah, it's really no different than naming a character "Kai Shiden" or "Soryu Asuka Langley."

One must keep in mind that the average viewer in the target audience won't know very much about foreign names or their significance and any hidden meanings that they might posses - let alone the aeronautical significance of them!

Maybe the best way to illustrate it is with this rhetorical question: "What does Basara Nekki's name mean, and what are the nuances and implications of the kanji that are used in the context of his character?" Just like how the majority of us English speaking viewers aren't even aware that there is an additional significance and hidden meaning to that character's name, the new young viewers that Macross Delta is targeting won't about these new characters.

The names are probably intended to be in-jokes for those new fans that bother to look them up - and perhaps a nod to us international fans, too. After all, us MWers know much more about those sorts of things than the average person, eh. ;)

Don't discount the fact that the writers will pick names for their own sake regardless if the fans understand any meaning behind it or not. They need to come up with some kind of name, so why not pick a theme or some other naming convention and go with it.

Don't discount the fact that the writers will pick names for their own sake regardless if the fans understand any meaning behind it or not. They need to come up with some kind of name, so why not pick a theme or some other naming convention and go with it.

As a matter of fact the notorious Gundam Wing naming convention was running through my head when I was composing that post. But, these days I try to err on the side of brevity - one's point tends to get lost in a wall of text, and on the other hand there's the TLDR factor on the other. ;)

Edited by sketchley

They sure know how to get around the galaxy.

I guess we have time to get introduced to the rest of Delta squadron?

I like the characters so far, and I'm really looking forward to the series now.

More excited about Delta then I was about Star Wars.

Edited by abbadon

See? Always bet on the secret faction/Independents, now the Delta Squadron. The Knights should be called Clamp Squadron for all I care now.

I've learned to accept that it was just a very minor Internet meme all those years ago, but I really hope there's still a chance a Machida will get their chance in the spotlight. If the Jenius family can come back, anything is possible.

Edited by Einherjar

2067 would mean Mirage would have been born in 2049. Being Meltrandi, I wouldn't be surprised if Milia could still have children then. But it might make more sense that she's a grandchild. No matter what, Max's descendants are all females!

It would be nice to hear what happened to Macross 7 even if Basara never returned to it. I'm sure we won't though.....

I predict the man on the right will be the next character revealed. And i bet he is the delta squad leader.

you might be right on there, plus his jacket seems to have the grey patches in common with the other 2 delta characters...

the woman would seem also yet to be revealed, i originally tot she was the jenius character but from the second glance of the screenshot above she looks different...

you might be right on there, plus his jacket seems to have the grey patches in common with the other 2 delta characters...

the woman would seem also yet to be revealed, i originally tot she was the jenius character but from the second glance of the screenshot above she looks different...

I think she might be one of the idols, Kaname Bucaneer.

2067 would mean Mirage would have been born in 2049. Being Meltrandi, I wouldn't be surprised if Milia could still have children then. But it might make more sense that she's a grandchild. No matter what, Max's descendants are all females!

And thus does Komillia return to the stage as Mirage's mother!

Perhaps but really, any one of the eight daughter could be her mother. I suppose there is a small possibility that she's a 9th daughter... maybe.[/size]

But, but... I want to see Komillia!

It's the vestigial Robotechie in me, I suppose, that feels it is important to see what happened to their first kid.

Just as long as she doesn't have a blonde afro this time.

Purple hair? Fallyna? The Twins had purple hair but didn't have Fallyna as second names. Komilia Maria had Fallyna and Mylene had Flare as a second name.

Only one "daughter" had purple hair and Fallyna as an additional name.

Moaramia Fallyna Jenius. We could be looking at her daughter.

post-9033-0-02515900-1450611796_thumb.jpg

Anyway we can expect another weird courtship as Milia and her daughters are known for. Given Hayate is named after Max Immelmann and has blue hair we can see hostility turn to love. But he'll have to beat her first.

If Hayate turns out to be a clone or descendant of a clone of Max would it count as incest?

Edited by RedWolf

She's Mylene's and Basara's daughter!

Why isn't she named Nekki you ask?

I'll tell you why. She's a bastard. Why do you think Basara left his band and abandon everyone on the Macross 7 to be drifter like in Dynamite? This is why.

Purple hair? Fallyna? The Twins had purple hair but didn't have Fallyna as second names. Komilia Maria had Fallyna and Mylene had Flare as a second name.

Given the positive rainbow that Max and Millia created, purple hair doesn't mean she isn't Komillia's child.

I'm holdin' onto that dream!

If Hayate turns out to be a clone or descendant of a clone of Max would it count as incest?

Yes, and ewww.

I'll tell you why. She's a bastard. Why do you think Basara left his band and abandon everyone on the Macross 7 to be drifter like in Dynamite? This is why.

Please, Basara only had eyes for his guitar. And maybe Sivil, but I think that was just because she appreciated his song more, ummm, thoroughly than most. Edited by JB0

I'm kind of hoping that Basara returned to Emilia to finish what they started.

And, knowing him, he was gone before she woke up the next morning.

Even if Mirage is directly related to the Jenius family. I just don't see the rest of the family making a visit. Will they want to show an elderly Max & Milia? They could continue not aging Joke but will new audiences be confused that her (grand) parents look only 3 years older than her? In addition the art style of the character designs is very different. They will look so out of place unless Max is dressed up to look like a fop. I don't want to see Max in tights, ruffle shirt and carrying a jeweled cane.

Even if Mirage is directly related to the Jenius family. I just don't see the rest of the family making a visit. Will they want to show an elderly Max & Milia? They could continue not aging Joke but will new audiences be confused that her (grand) parents look only 3 years older than her? In addition the art style of the character designs is very different. They will look so out of place unless Max is dressed up to look like a fop. I don't want to see Max in tights, ruffle shirt and carrying a jeweled cane.

Agree. But there could always be a verbal cameo a la Isamu in the last Frontier movie or something of the like?

I wonder how long into the series before we find out if she's a daughter or granddaughter.

I don't want to see Max in tights, ruffle shirt and carrying a jeweled cane.

Max could so pull it off though, the designs we've seen so far are not THAT far a stretch from his M7 captain's uniform. I mean, he's already got his fringed cape....