how do you decide what to collect?

SuperSenpai

For me, since my "frivolous" spending is spread across several areas besides Macross, (movies, books, sports equipment, comic books and related merchandise), and because I have no desire to accumulate vast quantities of stuff, I try to keep my collecting focused. I try to follow the following guidelines:

1) Get it as cheaply as possible. I'm fine with buying secondhand items without original boxes, for example, so long as it's in good condition. I also use credit card points as much as possible, or sell off other stuff. I try to live with the mentality that if it were to all go up in smoke tomorrow, I'd be OK with it and not feel like I sank so much cash into it that I'd lose my mind. I find that forcing myself to bargain hunt makes me slow down and restrain myself from going overboard.

2) Realistic, detailed, and/or anime-accurate sculpts (exceptions made for vintage toys). I'm not a fan of super-deformed or exaggerated features like the Revoltech figures. For those of you into Mospeada, this is what made me pass on the CMs Legioss. This is something I also go by when I purchase superhero action figures or statues -- if you're familiar with Kotobukiya, I love their statues.

3) Perfect transformation only. No super-poseables or Yamato 1/60 v1.

4) I only buy one color scheme of a particular mold/model. I wouldn't buy both a TV Max and Kakizaki,or both Max and Milia 1J, or Roy and Hikaru DYRL VF-1S, since the only thing that differs is the color.

5) Related to 4, I try to diversify as much as possible. With my VF-1s, I have 1/100, 1/60, 1/55, and 1/48 scales, TV super and DYRL strike Valkyries. At some point I'd like to add a VF-1A and a 1D, since those are the only sculpts I'm missing from SDFM/DYRL. I also try to buy what I consider to be the best example in that scale. I didn't bother with the Toynami 1/100 VFs when the Bandai Hi-Metals are far superior. And although the original Takatoku 1/55s have vintage appeal, I prefer the reissues because they have better painted details while retaining everything that made the original a classic.

6) So far I've focused only on SDFM/DYRL, since I have a lot of nostalgia for the first generation of Macross. I enjoyed Macross Plus, but didn't find the mecha designs to be as appealing to warrant adding to my collection. Ditto for Macross Zero and Macross 7. Aside from the classics, I'm a big fan of the VF-25S and the VF-4 designs and hope to add them to my collection some day. Sadly, with the prices those are going for these days, it conflicts somewhat with rule #1. :wacko:

Edited by SuperSenpai

I tend to only collect designs that really appeal to me, regardless of their "anime" relevance or abilities. Also, like Anime52k8, I don't ever re-buy the same mold or buy multiples, since, at least for me, it's little fun, and most of the multiple buys end up sitting in their boxes anyway, which does me no good :p

I know a lot of you on here don't agree with me though :D

I tend to only collect designs that really appeal to me, regardless of their "anime" relevance or abilities. Also, like Anime52k8, I don't ever re-buy the same mold or buy multiples, since, at least for me, it's little fun, and most of the multiple buys end up sitting in their boxes anyway, which does me no good :p

I know a lot of you on here don't agree with me though :D

Eh I'm with you on that, except that I do get multiples if I like the design a lot. For example, I love the SDFM original series but can't ever get into the VF-1's design so I only bought one...and it's still in its bubble wrap. Same with the VF-25, I quite enjoyed frontier but don't like the Messiah.

On the flip side I think the "movie" that the Gamlin's 22 was in is a huge snorefest(a natgeo Sea Shepard documentary is more exciting) but I bought multiples of the mold, which I think is severely underrated. Same with Mac7 which I still don't get, and yet two thirds of my collection are from that series.

1. if it looks really cool, then it's insta-buy up to $200, regardless if i know the subject or the source material it was from

2. beyond $200 (or if it's not insta-buy cool) i look for gimmicks or more importantly, craftsmanship/artistry. that's how i ended up with some expensive statues.

3. my tastes are biased towards mechanically detailed stuff, even if i don't actually like the series so much. for example, the Formania Sazabi (http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN963194) was an insta-buy though i'm not a Gundam fan.

4. i avoid re-paints of same mold. only exceptions are the SDF-1 and VF-1S. i keep stuff that aren't exactly the same mold, eg. Kakizaki because of the 1A head, but i'm selling YF-21 because its only difference with VF-22 is the transparency of the canopy

5. for figures, just one of each character, except for Sheryl (so sue me). i gravitate towards kick-ass babes that have BFGs or huge swords/blades. lately, i've noticed kimonos seem to be a common theme in my collection. i avoid excessive nudity (eg. some Kanu figs), so Sheryl costumes are just about borderline :p

6. i'm strongly biased towards standard scales (20,35,72,144/150, 700) except when i already have something in that scale (eg. 1/60)

7. bigger is not necessarily better, but i do avoid figures smaller than 1/8 unless they're the only ones available, and conversely i draw the line at 1/5

my modus operandi:

- i trawl through the New Items section in HLJ, Amiami, Hobbysearch ) regardless if it's a toy, model, book, or trading figure

- if something catches my fancy, i search for other items from the same series and/or different permutations of the same character

- i also checkout the recommendations/"what others have bought/viewed" on the item webpage, and in turn i checkout what series they were from and so forth...

For my collection I have to restrain me harshly because otherwise I end up buying all the stuff in multiple quantities and I don't have the money or the space for that. In my mind having 10 VF25S renewals is a good thing so I can have three in Battroid, three in Gerwalk and three in Fighter all with Armored/Super/Stock Parts. And one MISB for storage (maybe two because the other one might catch fire).o at the moment I'm only collecting DX Chogokin Macross Frontier stuff (stupid I know but the first two renewal releases was easy to preorder and now I'm stuck with it). To keep costs and shelf-space manageable I set up following rules for the Frontier collection. The rules are in separate tiers so rule one is more important than rule two etc.

First don’t over budget for monthly the financial means laid out for the month.

Second have a collection that represents the full spectrum of the DX Chogokin renewal line.

Third don't double dip on paint schemes, VFs and characters.
Forth minimize the number of toys in storage.

Now the plan is (and it is partially fulfilled at the moment) to get the VF-25S Armored Messiah, the VF-25F Super Messian, the VF-25G Tornado Messiah and the RVF-25 to have the complete Skull Squadron and have all the variants of the VF-25 without breaking the above rules. Then add the VF-171CF (see rule three) and VF-27 Brera Type both with Super Parts to complete the Variable Fighter Frontier Universe from the tv show. Further I included the YF-29 30th VF-1 Scheme (so I don’t break rule three) and the YF-30 if it is ever made. To complete the collection I will add a S.H.Monsterarts Vajra.

For my other collections I have also rules. For example my transformers collection is based on certain characters (Black Convoy/Nemesis Prime/Scourge, Skywarp, Shockwave, Galvatron and Cliffjumper)
because I made the observation that without rules I buy too much stuff that I don’t need and because rule one is very important I had to pass on stuff in the past like the not Shockwave toy from FansToys.

If I see really cool stuff I just buy it but make sure that I don’t over budget. For instance I think that the S.H.Figuarts line is interesting so I bought one S.H.Figuarts of a sale just to take a look at it. So I don't start to collect all the Kamen Rider or the complete Tiger & Bunny cast.

Since not breaking the budget is the most important rule for my collection the chances of yielding to a buying frenzy is minimal. So after my Frontier collection is complete (to Quarter or not to Quarter: That is the question!) I might start to collect a DYRL? Skull Squadron of e-bay. ^_^

In general you have to decide what a collector you want to be. I decided to have “state of the line” collections. Your preferences might differ.

Well you have to plan your Macross collection in advance. :D

Besides I don't think that you can miss it here on MW because Bandai will release 12 pieces world wide with 9 for the domestic market only and one for HLJ, AnimeExport and amiami each and thus people will post 5 ppm shouting that Bandai is the devil because of that. ^_^

Edited by Scyla

Eh I'm with you on that, except that I do get multiples if I like the design a lot. For example, I love the SDFM original series but can't ever get into the VF-1's design so I only bought one...and it's still in its bubble wrap. Same with the VF-25, I quite enjoyed frontier but don't like the Messiah.

On the flip side I think the "movie" that the Gamlin's 22 was in is a huge snorefest(a natgeo Sea Shepard documentary is more exciting) but I bought multiples of the mold, which I think is severely underrated. Same with Mac7 which I still don't get, and yet two thirds of my collection are from that series.

Agreed on the VF-25 and VF-1, never really grew on me, till I bought 1 VF-1A... nevertheless, don't think I'm ever getting a VF-25 toy... I actually liked M7, and most of my valks are from M7 as well...

Collapse the boxes only and put them in a bigger box. Put the plastic trays in a separate box.

^^thats a good idea if you have lots of the same mold as the trays should be stackable right? i've not tried^^

as to how i pick what to collect? i try to get the "best" versions of my favorite designs. in the world of macross it usually goes in this order

sdfm/dyrl, frontier, zero, plus

the only other thing i really collect are TF's/3rd party TF's. i try to stick with the "best" verisons so usually MP or 3rd party as priorities although i will get neat mainline stuff too.

other than that its random and not prioritized.

• 8 months later...

For Yamato SDF:M valks I recently decided to shift away from the hero valks & get the oddball ones instead.

For Macross Frontier I'm still trying to complete the Skull Squadron+super parts but, unless they reissue the VF-25S, will probably never do so.

I think that they will... next year. So hang in there. ;)

If you're just starting out, I'd suggest writing down the top 5 valks that you really want and in whatever scale and then go try and lock 'em down. Scour evil bay and keep an eye on the for sale threads here on MW. This is probably the best place to find that one rare Valk that you can't live without. You just have to be patient.

That said... I never follow my own advice as I look around my man cave... Yamato valks, check. Hot Toys colonial marines, check. Albion Conan sword, check. Hobbies like these and especially Macross valks can get outta hand if you don't stay grounded.

I only collect Macross toys now, mostly Yamato since I want to keep one scale.

My plan is to get every valk from every squadron as seen from Macross (except Frontier, Pink Peckers and Basara). Once I complete it I will decided to get the proper display for all of them.

Edited by Valkyrie addict

I only collect Macross toys now, mostly Yamato since I want to keep one scale.

My plan is to get every valk from every squadron as seen from Macross (except Frontier, Pink Peckers and Basara). Once I complete it I will decided to get the proper display for all of them.

I guess the japanese doesn't know what a pecker means in english besides that of a bird.

On my 3rd macross complete reset collection phase.

I'll just get and/or keep the iconic hero valkyries, 1 or 2 per show, and call it a day.

Honestly I'd be very, very pleased if my collection ended up like this

VF1S Hikaru with Strike parts----[not owned]

VF19 Kai---got it

VF17D with fast packs---missing, unsure if I'll get it

YF19 renewal

YF21 renewal when/if it's out

And I'm happy. No need to complete squadrons, cannon fodder, expensive "blink and you miss it" valkyries and all that

One of every model, + 1 of every airframe variation.

And anything from SDFM lol.

I mean one each of 1, 4, 17, 19, 21, 22, 25, 29

And any modificated airframe, T1, E1, 171, RVF, 19k, 19S

Plus any prototypes with the YF designation.

Edited by skullmilitia

Collect by what moves you visually, and what are you connected to as a person.

That's what I try to collect. Certain asthetic looks appeal to me and others don't. I love real robots and very realistic mech, but I also think Gundam is really boring and visually uninteresting.

But then you have to factor in the pieces overall enjoyability factor. Can you pick it up and pose it? is it a piece of junk and breaks after 2 weeks? Does it look good on your shelf with the rest of your stuff?

The good news is, it's fairly easy to sell things in this hobby if you take care of them, and MOST things hold their value or go up.

Start small, and start with something simple like an Arcadia Hikaru VF-1J. Handle it a few weeks before you buy more.

Watch all the reviews you can watch too. Try to shy away from reviewers who don't present downsides or compare them to other releases, otherwise they are just glorified commercials.

I also suggest you use a spreadsheet or something to keep up with your preorders if you start getting into the hobby. It makes it a lot easier to plan your shipping.

Really? Do tell.

I'd love to know what's more "geeky" than collecting a toy robot based on ones opinion of it looking cool. B))

-b.

From a man greater than me :):

"The geek is someone who paradoxically drives fun from taking an activity that is already designed to be fun, like a hobby, and turning it into an activity that is not fun, like a job or a religion.

For example everyone likes to get stuff that they like. The geek collects stuff that he likes and stuff that he doesn't like or only kinda likes because is all connected somehow."

(Full quote after the spoiler tag)

The geek is someone who paradoxically drives fun from taking an activity that is already designed to be fun, like a hobby, and turning it into an activity that is not fun, like a job or a religion.

For example everyone likes to get stuff that they like. The geek collects stuff that he likes and stuff that he doesn't like or only kinda likes because is all connected somehow.

Everyone likes to relax and watch movies. Movie geeks like to watch movies in epic length marathon festivals as a part of a Red Bull fueled endurance test.

And video games: well we all enjoy playing video games as a hobby but video game geeks enjoy turning them into a competitive sport.

Oh and guys before we get our panties in a bunch about me picking on geeks let me just remind you that I am one and that all those activities that I described are pretty much my own as well.

Now the dilemma that faces both geeks and industries that profit from geeks is that these behaviors have become somewhat difficult to sustain a rooting interest in over time. Eventually real world concerns start to pile up and sooner or later it begins to dawn on one that while assembling the entire pre crisis dc universe in uniform scale action figure form makes for a fine distraction at the end of the day maybe it really is just so much painted plastic and perhaps your money would be better spend on, say food.

Enter continuity. Imposing a broad continuing interconnected narrative onto a franchise or series is the ultimate justification for our harmless obsessive behavior.

See I'm not just collecting every issue of Spiderman even the shitty ones because I'm obsessed. I need to know them all to keep the continuity straight.

Does this sound like you? Cause it sounds like me.

Moviebob 9/13/11

I definitely feel the urge to collect everything. Like every model with every add on set and every tiny bit of exclusive stuff I can get. I can see me definitely buying a toy I don't like just to get an exclusive effect part. As an example for the VF-25F I would buy 12 pieces. 3 Super Messiahs, 3 Armored Messiahs, 3 Tornado Messiahs and 3 plane ones plus one Valkyrie and one of each add-on set for storage in case something breaks. And I would display them all in a giant room dedicated to them. And I'm not even liking the Tornado variant of the VF-25F. ^_^

And while this sounds really awesome to me it is just not viable for me because of funds and the room to display them all. So I enjoy pictures of Kickers and MasterofMarcoss' collection and also enjoy my small collection of Valkyries that I like. On the other hand having five VF-25s is already kinda obsessive. But I need them to display all the variants of the Messiah and Bandai forced my hand to not only buy the VF-25A but also Lucas and Michaels Super Packs because they decided not to release the Ghost drones separately and no word for Michales Tornado Parts..... *shakes fist in anger*

:angry::(:wacko::blink::o:lol:

B))

Edited by Scyla

There's deciding, then there's pre-deciding -- what to collect.

Deciding once you've laid eyes on something, determining then if its cool enough to collect - seems to add regret later on for me.

But pre-deciding on only such and such scale, from certain series - or even manufacturer leads me to less buying, but more satisfaction overall. And it keeps my toy collecting from getting out of control...