Just started watching this.

I'm completely confused.

I like Asuka's Mod target pin on her hat! haha

Digging the soundtrack.

-30 min

The art is just fantastic. I can't help but think that this is the ultimate Giant Robot movie. The scale is just so massive.

- 1 hour

Pretty confusing.. but lots of nice Eva battles at least. I'd have to say it's my least favorite of the 3 so far.

Really stoked to get the new Medicom 08 Beta :D

Just started watching this.

I'm completely confused.

I like Asuka's Mod target pin on her hat! haha

I like her hat in general, I want a figure/toy that actually has that.

Not to dig up an old topic without much news, but this was the most reasonable place to share this.

I was halfway through the video before it dawned on me that the circular green shapes on the right of the screen were Kaiji's watermelons. :lol:

Sorry if this has already been answered but is there a torrent (or any method of retrieval) for a english sub in HD of 3.33 for those of us who cant wait for the official english release but will be buying it anyway?

What was confusing? The movie pretty much covers

Shinji getting trapped in the Durok (sp) Sea angel, the loss of Yui, the dual piloting perfect synch attack, Rei III, and the death of Kowaru. All areas that already happened in the series, just turned on their head. I think the real question is "where's Kaji." With Seele dead, he may end up filling their role. I've only seen the film raw, but as far as I know, there was no mention.

Edited by Keith

I was halfway through the video before it dawned on me that the circular green shapes on the right of the screen were Kaiji's watermelons. :lol:

Wouldn't that make them Misato's melons?

Why it was confusing and rather unsatisfying:

I had to go back and watch the ending of 2. I remember Rei was "saved" or whatever but I forgot most of the circumstances. It was a really powerful moment, and they basically undid it completely with this film.. which is frustrating to say the very least.

Was it really needed to jump 14 years in the future and not really show the third impact until halfway through the third movie? Why not pick up where we left off? Also, lets completely split the entire cast and turn them against each other... for shits and giggles?

You would think they would be careful to avoid making the plot so convoluted after the ending of the series was such a disaster.... but nope. They throw you to the wolves for most of this episode. haha

It made some sense near the end.. but damn was it depressing. Oh btw, Eva pilots never age... well that's good?

Couldn't Willie's motivations to stop Nerv be a little more clear? That's pretty interesting and central to the plot, but instead they spend more time pushing the "relationship" ahem between Shinji and Kaworu. That's important to pay off with his death, but ... yeah.

Also, there was nobody to fight for...everybody was dead. Eva was always engaging because they were fighting to save humanity on some level. (Or at least you thought they were) but the cities are all empty and you can't even see a glimpse of civilization. You got the feeling this was just a story about these 15-20 people playing power games. It kind of lessened the impact of what was going on in my mind. If humanity is dead, why does it matter if they use the spears? Why does it matter if Wilie does this, or Nerv does that?

I'm sure I missed some details as I haven't see the TV show in a decade or so. I'm just looking at these as stand alone movies and evaluating their impact as a whole.

Anyway, it looked and sounded amazing, but the overall story was a bit of a drag, both metaphorically and story wise. I need to see it again, but hopefully the fourth installment will be less annoying. haha.

Edited by Gakken85

What was confusing? The movie pretty much covers

Shinji getting trapped in the Durok (sp) Sea angel, the loss of Yui, the dual piloting perfect synch attack, Rei III, and the death of Kowaru. All areas that already happened in the series, just turned on their head. I think the real question is "where's Kaji." With Seele dead, he may end up filling their role. I've only seen the film raw, but as far as I know, there was no mention.

See, this is really my problem with the film. Based on the last two films, and the overall plot of the 3rd, it feels like they wanted to take the series and go someplace different with these movies but they're saddled with this checklist of plot points from the show that they have to go through. What bugs me about the movie is all the stuff that's from the show that plays out in a way less effective manner IMO.

also, it's Dirac sea.

About the manga connection I thought of a while ago. It officially ended...

From what I've heard and seen about the manga's ending, unlike what Rebuild!Shinji learned in Q, apparantly You Can Redo! Manga!Shinji got have a quasi-retgone ending with most people coming back from Third Impact with no memory about the Angels, Evangelions, etc. It's quasi because the remains of a MP Eva still exist, but no one knows much about its origins. Not everyone, especially those who died in the manga's version of EoE, is seen in this brief view of the post Impact world. People at Evageeks are totally pissed.

It's probably the cloest thing to closure to the series as we'll get until 4.0 comes out.

Edited by Einherjar

From what I've heard and seen about the manga's ending, unlike what Rebuild!Shinji learned in Q, apparantly You Can Redo! Manga!Shinji got have a quasi-retgone ending with most people coming back from Third Impact with no memory about the Angels, Evangelions, etc. It's quasi because the remains of a MP Eva still exist, but no one knows much about its origins. Not everyone, especially those who died in the manga's version of EoE, is seen in this brief view of the post Impact world. People at Evageeks are totally pissed.

It's probably the cloest thing to closure to the series as we'll get until 4.0 comes out.

I like the sound of that ending

• 3 months later...

So I've just noticed that Evangelion 3.33 has just come out in Hong Kong with english subtitles and I'm very tempted. Anyone heard anything in the rumour mill about when Funimation will release it's own english version?

I wonder how many more endings they're going to come up with over the years...

Edited by myk

I wonder how many more endings they're going to come up with over the years...

I don't know if there will come more Eva products over the years (or how they'll decide to finish 4.0 if at all (what's to stop Anno from doing a 5.0?!)) but at this point I'd guess we'd end up with 4 possible "official" endings. TV series, EoE, Rebuild ending with 4.0 and the manga

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

A hell of a necrobump, but I didn't want to do a separate thread for this.

Hikaru Utada's song new video has unused cuts from the 3rd Rebuild movie. Some beautiful visuals too. Available for a short time only apparently.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-09-18/evangelion-3.33-music-video-for-hikaru-utada-song-features-unused-cuts/.106612

A hell of a necrobump, but I didn't want to do a separate thread for this.

Hikaru Utada's song new video has unused cuts from the 3rd Rebuild movie. Some beautiful visuals too. Available for a short time only apparently.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-09-18/evangelion-3.33-music-video-for-hikaru-utada-song-features-unused-cuts/.106612

I hope this is getting Anno in the mood to work on 3.0+1

Its been so long. Looking at it from a financial perspective at this point if a 4th movie is made, wouldn't it rack up less cash than it would have otherwise done had it been released closer to the 3rd movie? I know hardcore fans and everyone that is a fan is hooked and waiting for a 4th, but at some point the whole "playing the waiting game to build hype" starts to work in reverse doesnt it?

The hype cycle could easily return. The last Evangelion film ever would sell big in Japan and among Western otaku. That franchise is too important for it not to gather enough hype or interest.

the big question is if Anno really wants to. Everytime he does some EVA his health suffers because of it. He gets too personally involved in it.

• 3 months later...

I could have sworn I saw this figure posted on this forum before, but alas, searching gives me nothing. Anyway, this is only tangentially related to the Eva movies, but since there's a new Eva Vs. Godzilla movie in the works, some of you might enjoy the NERV Anti-G Weapon Shiryu Prototype Unit 01, from Sentinel's "Riobot" line of figures:

I remember seeing this discussed before, maybe it was here or MWForum. If this needs moving to a dedicated thread, please do so.

Design by Yoji Shinkawa of Metal Gear Solid/Zone of the Enders fame.

10440038a.jpg

Up for preorder @ Hobby Search: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10440038

@ HLJ: http://hlj.com/product/SET88024/Act