I never liked Evangelion. Whether it was the series,Death and Rebirth, or EoE. Will the Rebuild change that? I know everyone has different tastes but I guess I always struggled to see why people liked it so much.

1.11 and 2.22 are fantastic, free of the baggage of what came before. 3.33 is the same old bullshit.

Probably worse than that. It leaves you either bored to tears or wondering if there was a lot cut out due to the length being so much shorter than the previous 2 films. I know I went "Wait.......how the hell did all this come to be? How did we go from here to here and what happened inbetween?" There's just a big mess of missing stuff that makes you almost wanna watch a Michael Bay film rather than this movie.

I kind of like Michael Bay films. I'm mostly wondering if it's another case of everybody dies in the most bitch way possible and every moment of awesome gets crushed with a thousand metric tons of depressing. I know that's how Evangelion works but I'm the kind of person who would be totally in to seeing NEG: Nobody Dies getting a highly condensed animated adaption.

I kind of like Michael Bay films. I'm mostly wondering if it's another case of everybody dies in the most bitch way possible and every moment of awesome gets crushed with a thousand metric tons of depressing. I know that's how Evangelion works but I'm the kind of person who would be totally in to seeing NEG: Nobody Dies getting a highly condensed animated adaption.

Well... remember there's still another movie after this one, so they can't kill off the WHOLE cast just yet... ^_^

NOTHING could make me want to watch a Michael Bay film.

Watch the first half of "The Island" (2005). Its actually quite thought provoking and atypical for a Michael Bay movie.

I think Ebert summed it up best:

"The Island" runs 136 minutes, but that's not long for a double feature. The first half of Michael Bay's new film is a spare, creepy science fiction parable, and then it shifts into a high-tech action picture. Both halves work. Whether they work together is a good question. The more you like one, the less you may like the other.

If you stop watching right about the time it switches to the second feature, the film runs like one of those creepy 70's SF flicks.

Anyhow, never got into the EVA rebuild movies. The more I'm reading about the 3rd one, the less interested I am in them.

I think it was the first movies that "retold" the story that deflated my interest in EVA. Don't get me wrong, a like the psychological aspects of the series (especially the end), and the open-ended-ness of the TV series ending - which may be why I didn't like the nihilistic retelling? (Everyone dies. The end.)

Edited by sketchley

After watching "Q," it reminded me of EoE (The End of Evangelion). So Evangelion-ish, imo.

I went to see EoE about 16 years ago at the local theater. After the screening, a school boy asked his friend, "hey, can you understand?" I remember it so much because I and he shared the same thought at that time...

I really want to know what happened in the 14 years that passed by. All those dead spare EVAs everywhere and the general wonton destruction from the Tokyo-3 visuals make me think we missed something both horrific and spectacular in an EVA sort of way. Like what was shown in Q or EoE, but much worse for the world but probably better for the viewer.

Also, still no explination about what/who the heck Mari is. I think she's probably the least developed main character in a show remembered for its in-depth, and screwed up, personalities. Yet, at least with the translation I was watching, she seems to know a lot of secrets of the world for a pilot. If there is some payoff coming out reagarding her, I didn't think it would take so long to get to it.

All in all, I think 4.0 has a lot to resolve in just one movie whether it's covering just the Rebuild movies or the entire series. Or not, as Evangelion usually does.

Edited by Einherjar

Just watched 3.33: I never thought I would see a film that could make End of Evangelion seem like a feel-good romp by comparison. I really don't know where they plan to take the fourth film based on these events but I can appreciate their desire to break with some elements of the original story. The occult symbolism in Eva is absolutely everywhere and hard to decipher at the best of times... Makes me wonder if Anno is either a brilliant adept of the mystery schools or just flat-out off his rocker.

Something I've come to realize about Evangelion is that I like the idea of Evangelion more than Evangelion itself. I like the themes and the art style and the potential the characters and setting provide but the actual execution just leaves me sad and disappointed.

So...I couldn't help thinking about this while watching. :lol:

Shinji = Alto

Rei = Ranka

Asuka = Sheryl+Ozma

Mari = Micheal

Misato = Gloval

Kaworu = Brera

Goto = Grace

That dude's sister = Luca

SEELE = Macross Galaxy

Angels = Vajra

Walkman = crystal earring thingies.

Something I've come to realize about Evangelion is that I like the idea of Evangelion more than Evangelion itself. I like the themes and the art style and the potential the characters and setting provide but the actual execution just leaves me sad and disappointed.

I expect nothing less than total confusion and unresolved plotlines from Evangelion, and I am not being sarcastic. Hollywood is where I would go to if I want everything explained.

Well said. I was so sure after 1.11 and 2.22 it was finally going to deliver. At the end if the day, I'm not actually mad about 3.33; I feel let down by it.

If anything, the feeling that humanity's royally boned is still there like the original series. At least that's consistent!

One thing I wasn't clear on in 3.33:

Is almost everyone else in the planet already dead?

Well said. I was so sure after 1.11 and 2.22 it was finally going to deliver. At the end if the day, I'm not actually mad about 3.33; I feel let down by it.

I've never felt more in tune with Evangelion that I did during the ending sequence of 2.22. They managed to take one of the most disturbing sequences in the entire series, combine it with a bunch of stuff from EoE and turn it all into one of the single most awesome GARR moments the series has ever had.

Finally watched. Blown away, amazed, confused, confused, bewildered...all in an hour and 34 minutes.

Must watch again to clear thoughts.

I felt the same way, but instead of trying to figure things out I just ran a Cool Devices and an Amazing Nurse Nanako marathon to get back to simpler things...

What was I, chopped liver?

Errr... sorry, you got it, too. But you got it before I got pissed about so many people NOT getting it.

Again, over the past day or so, it's been nothing but, "This movie was confusing and bleak! It lacked explanation, and all the characters were depressed and depressing! SINCE WHEN WAS EVA LIKE THIS!?!"

In the turmoil, I forgot about the pioneers.

Again, I apologize.

Errr... sorry, you got it, too. But you got it before I got pissed about so many people NOT getting it.

Again, over the past day or so, it's been nothing but, "This movie was confusing and bleak! It lacked explanation, and all the characters were depressed and depressing! SINCE WHEN WAS EVA LIKE THIS!?!"

In the turmoil, I forgot about the pioneers.

Again, I apologize.

No, it's "since when was Rebuild like this?"

Don't forget the preview for 4.0.

The reuse, yet again, of the two pilots synchronizing trope... maybe Anno’s plan is to deconstruct the gimmick of one of the best episodes of the series by reusing it again and again in a more boring way each time until it implodes into a snorefest anomaly. Two Evas taped together to fight an endless horde of generic identical cannon fodder? Yay!

No, it's "since when was Rebuild like this?"

Again, as I said before, the series switched gears halfway through. The first half of the series is relatively light, with a fair amount of comedy. Then the second half gets heavy and dark. Why shouldn't Rebuild follow suit?

One thing I wasn't clear on in 3.33:

Is almost everyone else in the planet already dead?

I assumed that's what happened, since SEELE did not seem motivated to do their version of Instrumentality anymore. In fact, they didn't do any of their trademark ominous scheming beyond Keel's last words this time around. Gendo would still go for it to see Yui again, being crazy and everything for her.

Don't forget the preview for 4.0.

The reuse, yet again, of the two pilots synchronizing trope... maybe Anno’s plan is to deconstruct the gimmick of one of the best episodes of the series by reusing it again and again in a more boring way each time until it implodes into a snorefest anomaly. Two Evas taped together to fight an endless horde of generic identical cannon fodder? Yay!

Or maybe Anno's been playing too much Metal Gear Solid 2 and Revengeance. The swordplay reminded me of Raiden. Hell, that footage may not even be in the final product!

Edited by Einherjar

Again, as I said before, the series switched gears halfway through. The first half of the series is relatively light, with a fair amount of comedy. Then the second half gets heavy and dark. Why shouldn't Rebuild follow suit?

because it would have been better than the series if it didn't.