So, I've been pretty much avoiding everything about this movie so I can go into it fresh. I decided to stick my nose into this thread to check for blu release news, and I'm getting the feeling that you guys do not think that highly of it. Am I reading that right?

To me at least, it's not dissappointment but anxiety with where the hell is the story going to end up this time around.

After being traumatized by End of Eva years ago, I'm really hoping for some closure. However, plot points in Q, to me at least, is pointing towards a darker EoE-style conclusion.

So, I've been pretty much avoiding everything about this movie so I can go into it fresh. I decided to stick my nose into this thread to check for blu release news, and I'm getting the feeling that you guys do not think that highly of it. Am I reading that right?

After the initial shock wore off, I really quite enjoyed it for what it was. Its only half a movie though so Im reserving judgement until the next one comes out.

I, for one, loved it.

One of my best friends (with whom I have similar taste) hated it. Go figure.

• 1 month later...

Yes, the rebuild series has become quite.....visual, but IMO it's more of an assault on the eyes and the senses, especially with the last volume. Maybe I just need to give it another view, I don't know...

I just finished watching this and must say that this was probably the most messed-up part of Evangelion that I've seen.

I totally mean this in a good way! Can't wait to see how the fourth film is going to close the Rebuild series!

As I said after I saw it last fall, "I can't think of any other movie where a character trying on a wrong-sized shirt could be so emotionally devastating."

Edited by Gubaba

No, I'd say watch 3.33 first, you're gonna need FB7 to raise your spiritia levels back up after.

And OMFG what a freakin' trip 3.33 was. It's held 100% true to the escalating process of telling the same story in a 100% new way. Everything I wanted covered is there, and despite the gurmblings I've read, works absolutely perfectly. So yeah, there's still much love coming from me on toward the rebuild series. I absolutely can't wait to find out how the last film is handled.

Just what the heck did I just watch?!?! This is going to need... Several repeat viewings.

Yeah, what he said. After all this time avoiding spoilers and the such, I only have one simple question to ask, and I don't think that anybody has asked this yet......

WHY THE HELL DOESN'T PRETTY MUCH ANY OF THE FOOTAGE FROM THE PREVIEW AT THE END OF 2.22 APPEAR IN THIS FILM?? CHANGE OF PLANS FROM ANNO AND THE STUDIO OR ARE THEY *REALLY* TRYING TO FUUCK WITH OUR MINDS?? AND DOES THAT MEAN THAT WE IGNORE THE PREVIEW TRAILER AT THE END OF 3.33????????

Yeah, what he said. After all this time avoiding spoilers and the such, I only have one simple question to ask, and I don't think that anybody has asked this yet......

WHY THE HELL DOESN'T PRETTY MUCH ANY OF THE FOOTAGE FROM THE PREVIEW AT THE END OF 2.22 APPEAR IN THIS FILM?? CHANGE OF PLANS FROM ANNO AND THE STUDIO OR ARE THEY *REALLY* TRYING TO FUUCK WITH OUR MINDS?? AND DOES THAT MEAN THAT WE IGNORE THE PREVIEW TRAILER AT THE END OF 3.33????????

Y'all are not alone. Me, I'm glad that when I saw it, I saw it with three friends (one American, two Japanese) and that we could afford the luxury of heading to a café afterwards for an hour or two to peruse the film program and discuss what we just saw. After the end of that discussion, I felt far less disoriented than I did when I first walked out of the theater.

As for your question, I have two possible answers, both COMPLETELY conjectural...

ONE: the "artistic" answer:

It's stuff that happened BETWEEN 2.22 and 3.33, and may be expanded upon later, maybe not.

TWO: the "fickle" answer:

This is not the movie they were planning to make when they made 2.22. The events, however, may be expanded upon later, or maybe not.

HOWEVER...

In the film program that you could buy at the movie theater, 3.0 was listed as "Part A" with 4.0 obviously being "Part B." I assume one one of the reasons this movie took so long involved expanding it and splitting it into two full-length films (since 3.0 and FINAL were originally announced as being 45 minutes each. As this point, I like to assume they know where they're going in "Part B." I could be wrong, of course.

And isn't that the essence of Evangelion...?

It wasn't the essence of these movies! Christ, he even brought back the long scenes of nothing moving and just voices talking!

Not happy. I'm not spending another dime on Rebuild.

It wasn't the essence of these movies! Christ, he even brought back the long scenes of nothing moving and just voices talking!

Not happy. I'm not spending another dime on Rebuild.

The series switched gears halfway through. For the first half, there was a certain amount of fun and comedy. The second half was pretty damn serious. Why shouldn't the movies be the same...?

The series switched gears halfway through. For the first half, there was a certain amount of fun and comedy. The second half was pretty damn serious. Why shouldn't the movies be the same...?

Because the series was a mess.

The whole age thing is a joke, which he attempts to explain away with one line of dialog; it would have been far more interesting and bolder had he aged them all 14 years. And then to explain the rest of the convoluted mess he has presented us with in 3.33, he gives us the movie's version of the 5-minute elevator ride of exposition (except they aren't in an elevator).

Edited by Duke Togo

I appreciate the beginning. We share the disorientation Shinji feels. Fantastic. BUT

Then the 14 years thing starts… yeah, god forbid they get the girls older. The pervs might get rowdy if they can’t fap to preteens. Yeah, yeah, kids pilot the Evas, you can’t have adults there… but the same effect could have been achieved with 7 or 5 years. Other characters really just show some extra wrinkles on their faces and that is it. If you don’t show the world change, why bother to do such a long time jump? To get the new military kids to be 14? Really?

Shinji looses all he had gained in the other movies. After the circumstances Shinji lives, no wonder. But it still feels like a steep back with the character. Now the last movie will be him regaining his balls. Repetetive.

The end of the world ritual is getting old too. It’s the third time they’ve had one of those animated. Now if they do it again for the fourth movie I’m going to puke.

That the events shown in the original trailer after 2.22 are old by this movie shows that they weren’t really that important. Rewatching the trailer fills the wholes very well. You can say that the events were superfluous and didn’t need to be in the movie if just a clip show fills me in perfectly. But the movie itself has the Eva series “artistic” wank moments where character and world fleshing out could have been put instead. Not just the Kaworu/Shinji love affair.

Action is super intense. Worth to watch. A bit overuse of the circling around. Yeah, computer animated cartoons can let you do that. Great, we get it.

All in all, I lost interest half way in. 2.22 was way better.

I never liked Evangelion. Whether it was the series,Death and Rebirth, or EoE. Will the Rebuild change that? I know everyone has different tastes but I guess I always struggled to see why people liked it so much.

is 3.33 as much of a vicious downer as EoE was?

Probably worse than that. It leaves you either bored to tears or wondering if there was a lot cut out due to the length being so much shorter than the previous 2 films. I know I went "Wait.......how the hell did all this come to be? How did we go from here to here and what happened inbetween?" There's just a big mess of missing stuff that makes you almost wanna watch a Michael Bay film rather than this movie.