because it would have been better than the series if it didn't.

BINGO!

So... there are DOZENS of robot shows that have big GAR scenes. There's one that doesn't. And y'all want THIS robot show to be like every other robot show...?

Er, okay. Fine. Eva becomes Mazinger. Mazinger is still Mazinger. Eva is screwed. Thanks.

I've never felt more in tune with Evangelion that I did during the ending sequence of 2.22. They managed to take one of the most disturbing sequences in the entire series, combine it with a bunch of stuff from EoE and turn it all into one of the single most awesome GARR moments the series has ever had.

I think that's pretty close to how I felt at the end of 2.22 as well. Shinji *finally* stopped being the poster boy for introverted emo kids and finally, essentially said "To hell with this, I want what I want, damn the consequences" with Misato cheering him on.

I never wanted these films to replace the original series/movies, as long as they did something *different* with it I was happy, and up to the end of 2.22 they certainly were doing something different. And I was cheering for the differences. The end of 2.22 was so out there and bizarre, but I didn't care 'cause I loved it and it was well executed.

I think what bugs me is the fact that the signs are pretty obvious that the Rebuild series was never properly plotted from the start and this led to a major change of plans after the release of 2.22 and the original trailer footage for 3.33. Now I am going to be forever wondering "what if they went down the path they originally planned with this film series". Maybe, as Gubaba has suggested, there will still be room for the preview footage at the end of 2.22 in flashbacks, but I don't think so.

Maybe it's all just about expectations. I was certainly expecting the Dark Knight Rises to go a different direction as well, and was a bit disappointed with what we got.....

Well, the original plan was for the TV series footage to be CGI'd over, and all four (three) movies to be out within a year. I'm certainly happy they didn't go that route. Duke Togo (for example) probably isn't.

You do realize your statement about me makes no sense, right? As to your previous post, I'm not quite sure why you think any of us are asking for "Gar" scenes in Eva.

Guba, you're just ranting. Come back to us, man!

You do realize your statement about me makes no sense, right? As to your previous post, I'm not quite sure why you think any of us are asking for "Gar" scenes in Eva.

Guba, you're just ranting. Come back to us, man!

Er, sorry. I'm just annoyed. I'll get over it.

I really don't understand the hate here, but whatever.

In my case it is disappointment.

The 2.22 movie showed that these were more than a rehash of the series. But 3.33 comes off as a rehash of the feel of the worst parts of the series with an overcomplicated backdrop.

So... there are DOZENS of robot shows that have big GAR scenes. There's one that doesn't. And y'all want THIS robot show to be like every other robot show...?

Er, okay. Fine. Eva becomes Mazinger. Mazinger is still Mazinger. Eva is screwed. Thanks.

To be fair, I'm the only one who explicitly stated that. also, I don't want Evangelion to turn into Mazinger, I want it to turn into Gurren lagann. :p

:edit:

Have I ever mentioned that I'm also a terrible, terrible person?

Edited by anime52k8

you know what's really stupid. Despite being on the negative side of this discussion, I'm suddenly craving movie merchandise and I'm actively hunting for test plugsuit Asuka figures right now. :wacko:

I blame all of you.

Who else here thinks the Rebuild movies are a continuation of the original series?

Yeah, I speculated about this possibility earlier, especially with "This time I shall make you happy" at the end of 2.22 and there were some other clues alluding to this possibility. If this does turn out to be the case, I think my views of 3.33 will become more positive. We shall see.

Who else here thinks the Rebuild movies are a continuation of the original series?

how does that even make sense though? the end of the series is the world is completely destroyed and everyone dies except for shinji and Asuka.

:edit:

BTW, maybe this is going to sound odd, but the one and only thing that will completely turn my perception of 3.0 around and make me like the rebuild series again is if Rei II shows up again in the forth film.

I get that they're trying to do the same thing that happened in episode 23 where Rei II dies and they replace her with a clone that has none of the previous Rei's memories and therefore throws an entire shows worth of character development out the window because Anno is a dick, but at least in the series that made sense. In the 3.0 its just "the Rei you saved is gone, here's a new cloned Rei who has zero personality again. What happened to the other Rei? shut the f*ck up is what happened!"

Edited by anime52k8

This is what Anno does, man! He turns us against eachother!

True... but...

Really, I love ya, man... but if you and Anno were both drowning, and I only had one life preserver to throw...

Sorry.

Edited by Gubaba

True... but...

Really, I love ya, man... but if you and Anno were both drowning, and I only had one life preserver to throw...

Sorry.

And then he'd kill you and use you for food. See, that's how he gets you!

how does that even make sense though? the end of the series is the world is completely destroyed and everyone dies except for shinji and Asuka.

Some reality warping consequence of Instrumentality, I guess. There's been a lot of theories about it online ever since Rebuild started and a lot there's a lot of strong evidence in the movies that it could be. A lot of what I've seen makes it pretty convincing. However, it can also be Anno massively trolling people too.

Coincidentally, the official manga is finally ending after 18 years, maybe next month. Besides going through with EoE's ending, there is a chance the it might shed some light on a possible connection.

Some reality warping consequence of Instrumentality, I guess. There's been a lot of theories about it online ever since Rebuild started and a lot there's a lot of strong evidence in the movies that it could be. A lot of what I've seen makes it pretty convincing. However, it can also be Anno massively trolling people too.

It could just be the people reaping the financial rewards for the movies behind it. This is what... the third official version of the ending? It's almost an industry unto itself. There's no way they're going to resolve things and deprive themselves of future profit... Edited by sketchley

In EoE, Yui Ikari (or whatever she now was) told Shinji that anyone can come back, as long as they can imagine themselves existing. The exact details are left up to the viewer, but it's definitely true that at least some people had the potential to come back, and Shinji and Asuka are not the last people alive, merely the first to return.

Q..., now...

I'm a huge fan of the original series, and I tried very hard to like the first two films, but they just didn't do it for me. That's okay: sometimes something just leaves such a mark on your mind that you've got nothing left for any other iteration. I don't think the other Rebuild films were bad, or that they were *that* radical a departure from the TV series. Shinji was pretty in-character to me, and I could believe the Shinji of the TV series would reach through the void to rescue Rei if he had the opportunity. I wanted to like him as much as I did before, but I couldn't.

I think Shinji's a great character, one of my personal favourites, and he doesn't need to be changed to make him more palatable to others who disliked him the first time around.

And Q was just amazing. I connected with it more than I ever had with the first two movies, and felt as though I found my groove with Evangelion again. I know others had problems with the pacing, but I easily adjusted to the new setting, and am just patiently waiting for more answers. What we got was already compelling enough to carry me through, even though not all the questions were answered to their fullest.

I liked Shinji's new conflicted state, and was was excited by the new setting and new visuals. The Angel redesigns had always been a highlight, but the designs of everything were wonderful. I also enjoyed the way that "beats" from the TV series and EoE were translated into lines and motifs in this film.

It could just be the people reaping the financial rewards for the movies behind it. This is what... the third official version of the ending? It's almost an industry unto itself. There's no way they're going to resolve things and deprive themselves of future profit...

Can't deny that factoring into all of this. Though I really wonder how far they can really push that button, or are willing to go, before it actually brings serious consequences for the franchise.

Finally got around to re-watching this again and I have to say that I really liked it. The visuals/designs/animation are outstanding and I loved that this film rescues the WTF? feeling I had when I watched the series for the first time. That's not something i felt watching the first 2 although they are perhaps work better as films from a storytelling perspective. I really connected with Shinji's sense of utter confusion and helplessness. Poor guy.

It would have been nice as a viewer to get a bit more screentime from some of the other characters (I'm thinking the whole Wille crowd) in order to get a better feel/understanding for what's happening, but I guess Anno is leaving a lot of the fleshing out for what's happened post 3rd impact for the last film. I have to say though that those expecting a nice closed ending with lots of questions answered should probably skip the 4th part. I don't think Anno will provide that.

I've watched it twice by now which gave me some time to reflect on it. Quickening is as accurate as any title can possible be, as this Eva movie series now takes on a life of it's own from the original story.

The movie is an interesting, bewildering and disorienting experience, which is pleasant surprise in an age dominated by non confrontational iyashikei anime.

I thought it was hilarious that GAR Shinji's reckless behavior ends up being more destructive than those of those of his passive incarnation. In some ways Evangelion is bit similar to Last Action Hero, an environment where the rules of the genre don't work.

I wonder if this turnabout was intentional or if the rumors are true that Anno decided to change the course of the movies completely. I can imagine recent events have influenced the tone of the movie.

I can imagine recent events have influenced the tone of the movie.

Not as much as you might think. In the movie program, Megumi Ogata (Shinji) talks about how the voice recording was done soon after the Tohoku quake...

And she got into character by watching the news and convincing herself, "This earthquake and tsunami was ALL MY FAULT."

Not as much as you might think. In the movie program, Megumi Ogata (Shinji) talks about how the voice recording was done soon after the Tohoku quake...

Ah, I didn't know the move was already in post-production at that time. Interesting.

ARRRGH!! I made the wrong choice...? Can I redo...?

Of course you can. Fans will ALWAYS buy another DVD release. Just call it the Ultra Edition, or Rebuild, or 30th Anniversary...

EVA-02 turns into a cat. WHY.

My love for you is like a truck, BERSERKER!

Edited by Duke Togo

I think that's pretty close to how I felt at the end of 2.22 as well. Shinji *finally* stopped being the poster boy for introverted emo kids and finally, essentially said "To hell with this, I want what I want, damn the consequences" with Misato cheering him on.

I never wanted these films to replace the original series/movies, as long as they did something *different* with it I was happy, and up to the end of 2.22 they certainly were doing something different. And I was cheering for the differences. The end of 2.22 was so out there and bizarre, but I didn't care 'cause I loved it and it was well executed.

I think what bugs me is the fact that the signs are pretty obvious that the Rebuild series was never properly plotted from the start and this led to a major change of plans after the release of 2.22 and the original trailer footage for 3.33. Now I am going to be forever wondering "what if they went down the path they originally planned with this film series". Maybe, as Gubaba has suggested, there will still be room for the preview footage at the end of 2.22 in flashbacks, but I don't think so.

Maybe it's all just about expectations. I was certainly expecting the Dark Knight Rises to go a different direction as well, and was a bit disappointed with what we got.....

The worst case scenario would be not the Dark Knight Rises route, I thought it was a satisfying end. For all of its faults, I liked 3.33, but like Gubaba and others said on the speakercast, it's being treated as Part A of a complete film. If it is true then I really can't give a proper evaluation on this one until Final. And judging by the response so far, a lot is working against it. I think a better example would be Matrix Reloaded and Revolution, one big movie split in half at a very critical moment in the plot and much of the story's weight put on the last entry to conclude it. Unfortunately, we know how that ended up, but there is still a chance for Rebuild not to end up the same way.

And she got into character by watching the news and convincing herself, "This earthquake and tsunami was ALL MY FAULT."

That's some serious method acting.

The worst case scenario would be not the Dark Knight Rises route, I thought it was a satisfying end. For all of its faults, I liked 3.33, but like Gubaba and others said on the speakercast, it's being treated as Part A of a complete film. If it is true then I really can't give a proper evaluation on this one until Final. And judging by the response so far, a lot is working against it. I think a better example would be Matrix Reloaded and Revolution, one big movie split in half at a very critical moment in the plot and much of the story's weight put on the last entry to conclude it. Unfortunately, we know how that ended up, but there is still a chance for Rebuild not to end up the same way.

Very good point. I do hope the gap between Q and the 4th movie is not as long as some of the previous ones but I will not hold my breath.

Just finished all three basically back to back for the first time. For the most part watching them like that it makes better sense of it all but still yeah the third film still seemed completely off. Not in a terrible way, just I felt if I had never watched the original series or even Death, Rebuild and EoE stuff and just watched this I would be so lost. It seems though this is meant to be more accessible for non fans that unless you have seen the original stuff you would be completely and utterly lost by this film.

Just finished all three basically back to back for the first time. For the most part watching them like that it makes better sense of it all but still yeah the third film still seemed completely off. Not in a terrible way, just I felt if I had never watched the original series or even Death, Rebuild and EoE stuff and just watched this I would be so lost. It seems though this is meant to be more accessible for non fans that unless you have seen the original stuff you would be completely and utterly lost by this film.

But... it tells a completely different story than the series does...

It does indeed, but still I feel overall there is a lot of info missing and it just keeps moving forward without explaining much. I guess I feel a little underwhelmed by the whole thing though it does look gorgeous, and that if I didn't have previous knowledge I would be completely lost with the whole thing. Nothing is explained, stuff just continues to happen and I sit here like ok well.....what the hell was all this? If I were to show it to someone one they would ask what Adam is or the nemesis series, or why children are piloting, or their connections to the Evas or etc. etc.

• 3 weeks later...