Yamato 1/60 VF-17 Nightmare Diamond Force (Thread no.2)

IXTL

You are systematically going around threads of 200-300 USD toys complaining about high prices in a fandom so niche that even the cheapest toy is over 150 USD barebones retail. Which to me seems less like an active complaint and more like trolling.

I'm not arguing whether or not these prices are high or not. In a world where 30 GBP fills up my fridge with lunch and dinner for more than 3 weeks, 180 GBP for a collectible piece of plastic with metal IS high. Yes, I did the conversion from USD to pounds for you.

However, this is a hobby and I've embraced it as it is. Would I like a YF19 at 120 USD? For sure. But unlike, say, Optimus Prime, who has become an icon and has hundreds of thousands of figures releases each year [talking about production numbers] and can afford to stay in the 20-120 USD neighbourhood, Macross items cannot.

You probably missed the part where this fandom actively waited out on the VF17 and VF19 variants because by that point, it was systematic that retailers would heavily clearance the product. Then, Yamato went under and everybody panicked and started buying these at retail price. And higher. And aftermarket prices soared. What you're seeing "collecting dust" is what's left, and there's not that many. Only 2 online stores I know of still have stock of the VF17D.

As I said before, if you want sensible pricing, I'm pretty sure you can find better hobbies than plastic toy collecting. On a fantastically limited fandom, nevertheless.

You are systematically going around threads of 200-300 USD toys complaining about high prices in a fandom so niche that even the cheapest toy is over 150 USD barebones retail. Which to me seems less like an active complaint and more like trolling.

I'm not arguing whether or not these prices are high or not. In a world where 30 GBP fills up my fridge with lunch and dinner for more than 3 weeks, 180 GBP for a collectible piece of plastic with metal IS high. Yes, I did the conversion from USD to pounds for you.

If you knew anything about Scandinavian Mythology you'd know that the actual trolls come from Sweden and around, you can't really blame him :lol:!

You should've gone the extra mile and done the conversion to Swedish Kronas, YF-29 Durandal would've much appreciated it! :p

And now it's me who's a troll :wacko:

Thanks man, I saw that one on Mandarake too, but it'll be more expensive in the end as they will likely ship it via ems only. Looks like HKC is my to go then.

I got my 17D with Fast Packs from HKC. Likely they're your best bet. I wouldn't count on the 17D dropping in price, it was the far more popular of the two 17's released (also more rare) and it hasn't lost that value yet. If someone is likely to buy one of the two it's the D, that price will hold.

I got my 17D with Fast Packs from HKC. Likely they're your best bet. I wouldn't count on the 17D dropping in price, it was the far more popular of the two 17's released (also more rare) and it hasn't lost that value yet. If someone is likely to buy one of the two it's the D, that price will hold.

Judging by the initial price of $339.32 compared to todays price of $259.97 then the price will not hold.

Edited by YF-29 Durandal

Judging by the initial price of $339.32 compared to todays price of $259.97 then the price will not hold.

I paid 25,180 yen back in 2012 for mine. Here, the conversion for $259.97 comes out to 26,360.99 yen today. I don't know where you dug up the $339.32 number from but you're wrong both on what it originally cost and that it's cheaper now.

Edited by Mommar

I paid 25,180 yen back in 2012 for mine. Here, the conversion for $259.97 comes out to 26,360.99 yen today. I don't know where you dug up the $339.32 number from but you're wrong both on what it originally cost and that it's cheaper now.

It's HK Collectibles initial price (or hiked up price... whatever you want to call it) for the VF-17D without super parts.

Mine was 21,800 yen (AmiAmi) in December 2011.

Complaining about the prices of every valk is like complaining about the weather. If it's too much in your opinion, don't buy them. Simple as that. Not everyone can afford them. That's how just about every item for sale in the world works. Get over it and move on. I'm usually pretty understanding of someone's complaints about an item, but when that's all you hear from someone in just about every thread, it gets old real quick.

Complaining about the prices of every valk is like complaining about the weather. If it's too much in your opinion, don't buy them. Simple as that. Not everyone can afford them. That's how just about every item for sale in the world works. Get over it and move on. I'm usually pretty understanding of someone's complaints about an item, but when that's all you hear from someone in just about every thread, it gets old real quick.

It is getting pretty old, I just try to ignore it and not feed it anymore food.

Just finished up my Super Parts with the tiny arrow stickers from the VF-1S sheet that Arcadia included. Used MJs images as reference for placement (thanks for providing them). Now it finally feels complete. I hope Arcadia will never ever listen to a designer when deciding if the Valkyrie should have the minimum of markings it had in the anime. <_<

Just finished up my Super Parts with the tiny arrow stickers from the VF-1S sheet that Arcadia included. Used MJs images as reference for placement (thanks for providing them). Now it finally feels complete. I hope Arcadia will never ever listen to a designer when deciding if the Valkyrie should have the minimum of markings it had in the anime. <_<

I should get around to that, myself. Thanks for the reminder!

The hip joints only rotate one way to get into position for battroid mode [can't remember which way], and they have to be fully extended in order to do so.

For me, the hardest parts to move on my VF17S were the front landing gear covers, the damn cockpit and the rear landing gear covers. Everything else I could do without much fuss, although it was still very tight.

Is the general consensus that the D was stiffer or looser than the S?

Complementary question...

The fast packs on the 17 can stay on for transformation...but when it fighter mode, do the leg clips that open and extend beneath the wings...clip on to the wings at all?

I've watched one review of them and they just hang there loosely, only plugged to the leg. It *looked* as if they could snap on some part of the wing as well, thus becoming highly secure, but the reviewer didn't utilize that or that feature doesn't exist; which is correct?

There is a slot in the wing that can mount a peg in the Fast Pack. On mine it pegs in well and it helps to keep the legs attached to the backpack because it applies pressure to the peg. The legs are secure enough so I can swoosh around with it.

If I remember correctly in jenius' review there the right leg pack was not pegged in properly.

[edit:] You can see the slots on the wings on this image:

IMG_7069.JPG

This is from Veefs review of the VF-17S over at collectiondx (http://www.collectiondx.com/toy_review/2011/vf17s_diamond_force_color)

Edited by Scyla

• 2 weeks later...

I have bought my first Yamato valkyrie in about 5 years, the VF-17S (for $169 shipped, woohoo!). Its a beautiful piece of engineering, I wouldn't call it a toy though. Would definitely label it an "action model".

My main gripe...the stickers and lack of a sticker instruction sheet. Did the 17D come with sticker instructions? I want to sticker this thing up.

My other gripe is that the UN Spacy kites are too big and too small. I grabbed the kite stickers that came with a 22S to put on it, perfect size. I really wish Yamato would go with die-cut vinyl stickers for these.

One of the shoulders is a tad bit loose but I'm going to go through a bunch of my toys soon and tighten up joints with super glue and I will hit this also. Most importantly the floppy 22S and my VF100's.