Yamato 1/60 VF-17 Nightmare Diamond Force (Thread no.2)

IXTL

There are no stickers for the arrows that come with the FAST pack. I used the arrow stickers from the VF-1 FAST pack. If you have some and want it gray, you could probably just spray the stickers with gray acrylic paint and carefully peel and apply the stickers after they've dried.

Super_VF-17S_Fighter_03.jpg

You're pretty much on your own for other sticker placement as well. I mostly went by the VF-1 packs for inspiration on placement on those also.

Edited by MacrossJunkie

That's a fair domestic price. The price at hkcollectibles is similar (you do save $8), but you will pay air mail rates to the U.S. I think BBTS may have better UPS rates depending on where you live... Ouch. I just noticed that the USPS rates have skyrocketed.

Edited by technoblue

On a related topic, the VF-17S is on clearance sale here: http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=YAM10577&mode=retail

Is $155.52 (minus S&H) a decent price? Is there any other sites offering a better price for the VF-17S?

This is the other cool option: http://www.hkcollectibles.com/macross-robotech/7024-vf-17s-diamond-force.html

• 4 weeks later...

Just received my Fast Packs and I really like how they help the legs to stay attached in Fighter-Mode. Now I need to find some stickers. :)

Help the legs stay attached? They're a bit finicky but if you don't have the legs rotated to a certain point they won't lock in very secure. You might want to check that the back plate is extended all of the way as well.

I have the issue that the lower legs don't stay attached to the backplate very well. The leg packs peg in into the wings and thus pushing the legs together resulting in secure connection.

I think the backplate is extended all the way because the arms are pegged in position and I'm not sure how I should rotate the legs differently.

• 2 weeks later...

It don't care at all for the VF-17S and the VF-17D partly because of the design and partly because it looks cheaply put together compared to the VF-19S and the VF-19F.

But I own the VF-171 and I like that one... maybe Bandai just makes better toys?

If you ignore all of the exploding shoulder CF 171's or the fact the 171 is a bitch to transform compared to the 17 then yes, they make better toys. Yamato definitely made some mistakes with the 17 design but I wouldn't hold the 171 up as the reason why Bandai is better.

I do like the VF-171 more. The collapsible backpack is something I miss on my VF-17 every-time I don't look from the front of the Battroid. Also the legs on Yamatos Nightmare don't peg into the backplate as nicely as Bandais offering. Which is a shame because it is less fun to swoosh around with it. Somehow the Super Parts cured this issue on my copy.

However the VF-171 is an pretty cool toy. And it looks chunky and heavy like it's supposed to. Some of Yamatos design decisions where questionable (like the missing markings) but overall they are just nitpicks (minus the backpack I can't forgive this ^_^).

If you don't have in in you hands you cannot grasp the weight of this toy. The VF-19 is a bit better then the VF-17 but the Excalibur has its own share of problems. My major points of criticism are the glossy paint and the fact that it is terribly off-scale with the other M7 Valkyries in Battroid-Mode. And don't get me started with the ankles.

The VF-17S has also the advantage that it was flown by Gamlin and not that Docker guy. Also Yamato made the Fast Packs so the VF-19S will always be incomplete and sticks out of my M7 collection due to the finish and the off-scale. I said it several times the VF-19S might be the best toy in my collection on its own merits but *looks at the M7 shelf* it seems off sitting their between Max and Gamlin.

How is the VF-19 off-scale to the other M7 valks (which one)?

In fact Yamato's VF-17 is too slim and not beefy enough in Battroid mode.

The VF-19 had the perfect design approach - first the battroid and then work your way to fighter mode. And it shows with everything being in proportion, parts locking properly and being functional in the way I would expect it to be.

Why this design approach was ditched in favour of the reverse way again beats me and can be seen with the subsequent VF-17 and VF-4. <_<

Edited by lechuck

Courtesy of jenius

Yamato-VF-17-8.jpg

I agree that the VF-17S is a bit to lanky in Battroid-Mode but there is not much you can do without Overtechnology. The VF-19 looks also a not bulky enough for me but that are the miracles of hand drawn designs. ^_^

How is the VF-19 off-scale to the other M7 valks (which one)?

In fact Yamato's VF-17 is too slim and not beefy enough in Battroid mode.

The VF-19 had the perfect design approach - first the battroid and then work your way to fighter mode. And it shows with everything being in proportion, parts locking properly and being functional in the way I would expect it to be.

Why this design approach was ditched in favour of the reverse way again beats me and can be seen with the subsequent VF-17 and VF-4. <_<

Wait, what's your beef with the VF-4?

The 17 is impossible to get correct in one mode or another without magic. Other's complain the fighter is too chunky... there's no way to reconcile the fighter/battroid.

I don't think you should take the 171 having been designed first evidence that it's an inferior design to the 17. The durability issues of the CF suck but if they didn't do that stupid peg wing in feature I'd probably say the 171 is the better toy.

I'll say this much.. minus the loss of blood involved, the VF-17 is a heck of a lot more fun and forgiving to transform than the 171. Every time I try to transform the 171, I look at the shoulders, think about how badly the knee mechanisms work, think about that horribly overtight leg rotation, and then go play with the 17 instead. :p

It's not a terrible design, but the 17 is just so much simpler from a mechanical standpoint. I don't understand Bandai's obsession with cramming so many tiny parts into a design and making it as overly complex as possible.

Having both of them I can say the two has their flaws and their merits.

But the VF-17s is somewhat special. Part of it (loving M7 as I do) is that everytime it came on screen it was to kick serious a** ... whereas the 171 (at least the CF) only appeared on-screen to be Vajra´s lunch.

And the VF-17 Battroid mode isn`t "slim" at all. Of course, if you look only by the side it has its gaps, but when you have IN YOUR OWN HANDS and look at it as it is...a 3D PIECE OF ART it becomes more and more amazing everytime. It´s quite heavy, bulky, and it won´t broke at the least mistake.

Of course the leg peg is short, but you can manage to get it right with just a little transparent tape. Apart from trying to kill you with their sharp points, its a lovely pet :D

And the VF-171 is a beautiful plane too. The tampo print makes it look amazing. I love it too, and I don´t have any problems with the transformation being "hard" or anything.... Of course my NUNS have a crack and one little folding triangle broke too, but apart from that, with the armored parts, it´s amazing.

BUT THE VF-17 IS BETTER. EVERY SINGLE TIME.

;)

I don't have a VF-171 so I can't really comment on it's quality and on hands experience. I do like the design a lot.

Eventough the VF-17 is far from perfect, I like it, the VF-17 is one of my favorite valks designs because it's based on the F-117A, I love how Yamato manage to make fighter mode as sleek as possible, I like battroid a lot even with it's skinny legs compromise I hope in the future Arcadia makes a v2 with better transformation and anime proportions. I do have to agree, the VF-17 engineering leaves a lot to be desired compared to the VF-19 that was made in the same time period.

The VF-17 kicked serious ass in Macross 7 Dynamite

I'm still hemming and hawing over ordering a VF17S and armor from hkcollectibles. Hopefully they will still be available after Christmas.

Do it! :)

As I said it helps on mine with the loose legs in Fighter-Mode. A Valkyrie is not complete without the add-on sets if there where some designed.

I don't know if I'd argue that the 17 is the best Yamato VF toy (although it is in the top three for sure), but for me it's the one they'll have to pry out of my cold, dead hands.

I like the 171 as well, but in concept more than execution. Alto's looked like an over-decorated athletic shoe to me and wasn't as fun or untuitive to transform as the 17. The CF version looked better, and was slightly easier to transform but has such serious necrosis that after the 7th piece crumbled off I just boxed it up and sold it for beans. I'm done with Bandai's 171 toys unless they do a renewal.