All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

Wow do I really wish Titanfall was coming to PS4. This is THE game to own on Xbone, and pretty much has everything that I'd ever want from a shooter. Man, that jetpack gameplay makes things so smooth.

Microsoft struck gold when they struck a deal with Respawn.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Wow do I really wish Titanfall was coming to PS4. This is THE game to own on Xbone, and pretty much has everything that I'd ever want from a shooter. Man, that jetpack gameplay makes things so smooth.

it's a timed exclusive no? Call of duty w body mechs

Really? I'd never heard of this game before today, and I have ZERO interest in playing any shooters without a mouse and keyboard. The only Xbone exclusive I want to play is Forza 5, and as much as I enjoy the Forza series, I don't want Forza 5 enough to buy an Xbone.

Not that the PS4's super wowing me, either. But there are enough games, usually Japanese, that never make it to PC, so I have to own one. Might as well be the one that's $100 less. Besides, while I prefer Forza to Gran Turismo, on the whole I like Sony's first and second party stuff better than Microsoft's.

What excuse?

In any case, I'm a fan of CryEngine. In general, I think the handful of games and demos that have been made with it tend to look way better than the much more ubiquitous Unreal Engine. That said, I almost hope they don't make another Crysis. I loved the first one, but each sequel got progressively worse.

Anyone played Splinter Cell: Black List yet? Thinking of buying it, but it'll be one of the last game I might buy for the year, having already spent so much recently.

Any thoughts in replay value and general opinions? I heard that Michael Ironside isn't voicing Fisher this time. How much does it affect the game?

Sorry didn't explain.

It is denied that several companies make games for Nintendo, because they think the WiiU would be too weak and not accept their engines.

What proved this assertion fails. For many employees the same afiamavam otherwise.

Thus causing due to "bad faith" between them and Nintendo (such as EA), they didn't know how to adapt to their ports for the GamePad.

(And yes, this time I used Google Translator)

Edited by Old_Nash

So... I got an Nvidia Shield. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet.

My initial impression is that it's pretty big and heavy for a portable device. But once you start playing with it, it's comfortable in a way that the 3DS and Vita never will be, with loud speakers and a great screen.

But what to do with that screen? It's obviously not the sort of Android device you're going to check your email on. The controller gets in the way, making touchscreen interactions awkward.

Of course, there's Android gaming... which is a decidedly mixed bag. Games optimized for the Shield are fantastic, and stuff like Dead Trigger is way more fun with real controls. But then you play something that seems perfect for hardware controls that flat out doesn't support them, like Final Fantasy III, and you get bummed out because you realize that stuff like the Shield and Ouya are being held back because of developers' half-assed Android support.

One thing Shield really excels at, though, is emulation. I've got it to run NES, SNES, N64, and Game Boy games without a hitch. Gameboy Advance seems doable, but the emulator I tried wouldn't let me map controls to the Shield's physical buttons. Likewise, I found a PSX emulator that let me play Ace Combat 3, but didn't support the analog sticks. There are two others in the Play Store I want to try, but they're not freebies. Oh, and PSP. I found a PSP emulator that started ok, but compatibility isn't really there yet. I got the character creation on Gundam Assault Survive, but it froze while I was looking for my notes on getting a tech god. And it seemed like it was going to run Macross Triangle Frontier, but it freezes at the title screen.

I think the Shield's most interesting feature is the PC streaming thing, but that's a mixed bag too. I guess mostly because it's still in beta. While there are only a handful of games officially supported, you can try almost anything that uses a controller. The catch is, it has to be launched through Steam. Not too big a deal, since most of my games are Steam anyway, but a bit of a pain when you want to play something like Crysis 3, which uses Origin, and you have to set it up so Steam launches it. Oh, and do NOT bring up the Steam overlay. It might be ok in Big Picture Mode, which I didn't try, but there's no way I could find to close it from the Shield.

As far as playing a game goes, when it works it's awesome. I've got a pretty decent rig (Ivy Bridge Core i7, 16GB of RAM, GeForce GTX 660ti), so I can set most of my games to run at or near the maximum settings, and the Shield's screen does a good job of showing that. I did one race in Grid 2 in my living room (where my router is), and the game ran smoothly without any noticeable lag on the input. But when I moved away from the router a bit (to the bathroom... hey, it's important to know how well you can game there!), even though the Shield still showed a strong Wi-Fi connection, the game started to stutter. Eventually, I lost control, hit a wall, and the game seemed to freeze. I exited out of the Shield app on the Shield, went down to the man-cave, and checked on my computer. The game was still running, and apparently thought it was still receiving input, as my car was stuck spinning in a circle. So when PC streaming doesn't work, it really doesn't work. I had to force-close the Nvidia app on the computer and the game. In the Shield's defense, Nvidia does recommend a dual-band N router. While my router is an N, it's an older single band that's already shown plenty of signs of being over-taxed by the number of devices on my network. I'm planning to upgrade to an AC1750 in the near future, so maybe that'll help.

EA 'Looking At The Old Games' As It Defines The Future Of Star Wars Gaming

EA Games president Patrick Soderlund told gaming website Polygon that his company was focused on the future but conscious of the past when it came to Star Wars video games, and he suggested that EA would draw lessons from what worked and what didn't work as it crafted upcoming titles like its much-hyped Star Wars: Battlefront.

"We didn't toss anything out," Soderlund said in an interview with Polygon's Brian Crecente. "We're looking at the old games. We have access to everything that was done during the LucasArts era. But we do want to take our own stance."

Soderlund also compared EA's task with Star Wars to Rocksteady Studios' work on the recent Batman games. "The most important thing for me is that we take the Star Wars license and come up with games where peoples' jaws drop," he said. "We need to do with this what [batman: Arkham Asylum] did for the Batman license."

If they want to bring back what made the older Battlefront games great, they need to ditch Origin, throw out the idea of DLC entirely (unless you're adding new game modes, or massive content updates), release an SDK, and open the game up to locally hosted servers.

I still play Battlefront II from time to time, but absolutely none of the time I spend playing is done on stock maps, because the quality of the work done by the modding community blows the original stock material away completely. Give the people a good engine with room for expansion, and you could probably save money on development by allowing the gamers to build on it themselves. You know.. those people who work for free, and don't have to deal with deadlines. :p

I just recently picked up a GTX 660 for my PC. Despite the fact that it's a PCI-E 3.0 card while my motherboard is only PCI-E 2.0, I still notice a pretty decent performance increase over my GTX 460 card.

Grats. I have a 660ti in my box, and I pretty much buy games with impunity. If it can't run a game with the settings maxed, it'll get pretty darn close!

One assumes that you have an adequate CPU and at least 4GB of RAM, so... Nvidia Shield now?

Good god you guys need to pick up Saints Row 4! This seems to be a game that we would make if this forum pooled its interests into one. The game is a complete sci-fi parody! How off the deep end is it? So far that I've played into it the game takes place in a They Live/Matrix enviroment with Mass Effect references, super powers, and the song "You've Got The Touch" from the 80s Transformers movie!

I've never really needed any support from Steam. What issue are you having?

Long story short... I reformatted my HD and reinstalled Steam. It prompted me for an activation code, which I cannot receive because my AT&T has deleted my old SBC/YAHOO email account permanently (verified this with AT&T's customer support :( )

Long story short... I reformatted my HD and reinstalled Steam. It prompted me for an activation code, which I cannot receive because my AT&T has deleted my old SBC/YAHOO email account permanently (verified this with AT&T's customer support :( )

Because of Steam Guard?

Seriously considering making the switch from PS4 to Xbox One for Titanfall alone, but I'm worried the second I make the switch and commit, Naughty Dog will announce some crazy awesome game like Uncharted 4 or Atlus will throw down Persona 5 as a PS4 exclusive or something along those lines.

Decisions decisions.....