All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

Guest davidwhangchoi

Kotaku is the Fox news of gaming

lol, yeah i stopped reading regularly. (trashy/troll headlines to get you to read) but that chart sums it up pretty nice.

I think evryone should just wait for hands on reviews after launch in order to see how it all works.

E3 news:

Microsoft keynote:
-Xbox 360 is being updated with new design to match slim design of Xbox1 along with new hardware. Available today.

Didnt Microsoft say something about having two versions of the X1?

Edited by BeyondTheGrave

I hope they atleast get a good musical score, something the series has lacked since FFX.

Obviously a really subjective thing, but I absolutely love the soundtracks for FFXIII/2 and XIV. XIV in particular is a work of art I think, some of the most beautiful music I've heard period.

Didnt Microsoft say something about having two versions of the X1?

I don't recall hearing anything about multiple editions. The only special edition I heard about was the "Day One" exclusive edition for anyone that pre-orders. Comes with the extras but that's all.

Are image responses over-done yet? If not:

ku-medium.jpg

Anyways, easily lost notes:

PS4 comes with headset and 500GB hard drive. Hard drive is upgradeable like PS3's. Region-free.

XB1 hard drive is not replaceable, but can use external flash drives etc, and uses USB 3.0

Also, MS has clarified that some games will be "non-transferable and have no resale value"

It looks fine, but really, who cares? It goes on a shelf and I only ever see the front of it. It's hardware, not a piece of artwork.

Plenty of people care, it's why these things are designed instead of all stuck in same square box. Lots of people keep their media centers looking a certain way.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Anyways, easily lost notes:

PS4 comes with headset and 500GB hard drive. Hard drive is upgradeable like PS3's. Region-free.

XB1 hard drive is not replaceable, but can use external flash drives etc, and uses USB 3.0

Also, MS has clarified that some games will be "non-transferable and have no resale value"

PS4 is region-free

oh wow, woke up to some nice details, thanks!

hdmi cable included, (though inexpensive, it's convenient not hunting for one)

no playstation eye with PS4. while xbox one does, PS4 still comes out cheaper buying ps4 eye separate.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Guest davidwhangchoi

in case anyone needs a PS+ card to go with their PS4 pre-order

http://slickdeals.net/f/6081402-Sony-PlayStation-Plus-Subscription-12-Month-Subscription-Card-40-3-Month-Subscription-Card-13-Free-Shipping-Best-Buy-Account-amp-Reward-Zone-Account-Required

that's another bad sign for the xbox overseas....

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Obviously a really subjective thing, but I absolutely love the soundtracks for FFXIII/2 and XIV. XIV in particular is a work of art I think, some of the most beautiful music I've heard period.

I'm just a huge fan of Nobuo Uematsu and wish he had stayed with SE. I never played FF13-2 or 14.

Pre-ordered the PS4 at GameStop this morning. They estimated they'd be through their pre-order allotment by noon! PS4 (and its games) were literally the only thing anyone was talking about there. It's as if the XBox One didn't exist.

Glad to see that Sony didn't follow MS's path.

FF XV, huh? Haven't watched the trailer yet, but if it's anything like Versus XIII, I might just buy it along with the PS4 when it or Battlefront 4 is released, whichever comes first. Very happy to hear that the PS4 comes bundled with a HDMI cable; when I bought one for the PS3, it cost me about 66 USD.

Speaking of price, 500 USD sounds more or less like what I paid for the PS3--pretty sure prices will drop in a year or so.

Edited by GU-11

Guest davidwhangchoi

Nintendo just mailed it in. Well, except for that Monolith Soft game.

what game is it from Monolith? i stopped keeping track of nintendo. is it for the wii u? i still have my wii for xenoblade.

edite: nevermind found it:

nice it is a successor to xenoblade! need to find a wii u in the bargain bin in the future.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Observation from my buddy Ted this morning:Sony won beacause they kept the status quo.

That's really all that had to do.

I think this Forbes article nicely sums up everything Microsoft did wrong yesterday. Just like they did with Windows 8 (as well as Windows 8.1), Microsoft didn't really listen and it's gonna bite them in the ass hard. A $500 console vs a $400 console? Sony wins with no contest. If Microsoft's DRM policies didn't drive people away, that price tag will. Having big name games won't help if no one wants to buy your console.

I think this Forbes article nicely sums up everything Microsoft did wrong yesterday. Just like they did with Windows 8 (as well as Windows 8.1), Microsoft didn't really listen and it's gonna bite them in the ass hard. A $500 console vs a $400 console? Sony wins with no contest. If Microsoft's DRM policies didn't drive people away, that price tag will. Having big name games won't help if no one wants to buy your console.

"In over a decade of watching E3 events, I’ve honestly never seen one company completely and utterly destroy a competitor like what happened last night between Sony and Microsoft."

"In over a decade of watching E3 events, I’ve honestly never seen one company completely and utterly destroy a competitor like what happened last night between Sony and Microsoft."

Sony didn't destroy MS, MS did that all by itself.

Sony really took the lesson of the PS3 to heart(*) while MS went into lala land.

(*) - Better features and specs mean nothing if your console costs $100 to $200 more then the competition. Magnify that by MS jumping too soon on DRM and you have a disaster. (Yes - jumping too soon. Sony will be doing pretty much the same thing by the time the PS5 comes along, by then most sales will be online and tied to some kind of service though - and publishers will lead the way by only offering future titles by download)

Sony didn't destroy MS, MS did that all by itself.

Sony really took the lesson of the PS3 to heart(*) while MS went into lala land.

(*) - Better features and specs mean nothing if your console costs $100 to $200 more then the competition. Magnify that by MS jumping too soon on DRM and you have a disaster. (Yes - jumping too soon. Sony will be doing pretty much the same thing by the time the PS5 comes along, by then most sales will be online and tied to some kind of service though - and publishers will lead the way by only offering future titles by download)

Except PS4 has better specs, and I am not sure most people care about some of those Xbox features like cable integrations and Kinect.

Nintendo just mailed it in. Well, except for that Monolith Soft game.

I dunno, Mega Man in Smash Bros just justified my purchase of a Wii U. Throw in Mario Kart 8, a new Mario & Luigi game, Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, Super Mario 3D World, a new Yoshi's Island, and Pokemon X/Y and I've got basically what I expected out of them: safe but fun first party games. At this point, I don't expect Nintendo to dominate a console generation with bleeding-edge specs and unrivaled third-party support. I just want a handful of fun Nintendo games.

Guest davidwhangchoi

oh yeah 3ds Zelda! link to the past was awesome...

looks like FF 13verses/15 is coming out to xbox one as well. and now Kingdom hearts 3

Microsoft spent alot of money to have exclusives. definitely won in that department over sony.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

I find Microsoft's implosion to be funny, don't get me wrong. But if we do pick up a next gen console, it will probably be the PS4. I've just found that I like the exclusives more, and that the whole Xbox vibe both in the way MS operates and the community as a whole just puts me off.

Sony did really lay MS on the mat last night, though. Like I said, funny stuff.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Sony was on the fence about implementing software to prevent/limit used games sales to help publishers stop losing money to used games. but strategically waited till xbox made their move before deciding what to do. it was a good thing too after seeing the backlash. add to the fact the Microsoft did not assure or address gamers concerns about the drm in their press con and didn't acknowledge it, Sony played that card to win supporters as they lost the last console war. (Sony was in the drivers seat following the momentum of the ps2 but really screwed things up. with the high price and unfriendly to the developer community) seems like Microsoft if doing the same but instead with us, alienating the user fanbase

Jack Tretton just confirmed allowing DRM capability for used games (edit: they're still trying to confirm how this is going to be implemented) leaving the option to 3rd party pubs to choose.

(first party, will not have any restrictions)

http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/11/4419476/playstation-4-third-party-publishers-can-dictate-their-own-drm-terms

so we may still see 3rd party software with restrictions on the PS4 platform + ff15 and KH not exclusive to PS4... i wonder if the Sony excitement is deflating a bit...

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Guest davidwhangchoi

aside from online checks,

pretty much makes it the same as xbox one, first party won't have drm restrictions but 3rd party have the option.

the only difference is Microsoft has an infrastructure in place but the end result is the same.

Jack Tretton just confirmed allowing DRM capability for used games (edit: they're still trying to confirm how this is going to be implemented) leaving the option to 3rd party pubs to choose.

(first party, will not have any restrictions)

So there's no real change in what we have now or what PC gamers have dealt with for years. Microsoft basically bundled the DRM SDK into their platform while Sony left it up to publishers to implement their own DRM.