All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

I don't see how it's the same at all. Xbox restricts how many systems you can play a game on, by default. It restricts how and where you can resell your game, by default. Xbox forces you to log in once every 24-hours for a game to run, by default.

Nothing there is the same as what they did with the 360 or what Sony is staying with.

I was so relieved after SONY's PS4 presentation. At least they are standing up for gamers(so is Nintendo but for a different level..).

I loved my Xbox and Xbox360 as platforms but the strict DRM and bigger price tag are gonna hurt Microsoft.

Guest davidwhangchoi

yeah, you are correct that's what we have now.

i think box tried to implement and adopt steam's model for console gamers banking on the fact the users will adjust to it. But console gamers differ from the pc audience. i don't think consoles are ready for a steam like model.

EA tried that online pass garbage and decide to rid of it after severe backlash against them.

the fact that a Head of Sony made comments only a day after that these restrictions are allowed on the console is causing concern because they made a point to hammer and attack xbox on these issues. so it's a bit two faced (even though it's what we have now on the ps3/360) it's just they shouldn't have made such a focused attack on the points of the xbox if they're going to take a similar stance re: allowing 3rd party the option for DRM. (killing used games)

because the press conference made it appear their console there will be no such restrictions allowed site wide on their platform, it's a bit damaging and need to be addressed.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

It comes down to who is dictating the terms of your gaming. With XB1, Microsoft is changing things by taking up that task themselves. It's the platform dictating the terms of what you can and cannot or must do with your games. With PS4, Sony is keeping things the same by letting the publisher spell out the terms, i.e., the platform is just that, a platform, nothing more.

Guest davidwhangchoi

I don't see how it's the same at all. Xbox restricts how many systems you can play a game on, by default. It restricts how and where you can resell your game, by default. Xbox forces you to log in once every 24-hours for a game to run, by default.

Nothing there is the same as what they did with the 360 or what Sony is staying with.

yeah, i agree with you Advantage Sony.

these are just my thoughts and rambles (apologies, i can't type well and thanks for reading and responding to my posts)

Initially both sony wanted to kill off used games (psp go, digital downloads) as much as microsoft to support 3rd party publishers. Sony hates the used market as much as piracy.

but they couldn't get the fanbase to accept a digital only platform like steam.

This generation microsoft tried to take the lead and creatively addressed it by controlling the used games market giving a opportunity for publishers to get a slice of the profits.

And depending on how well it was received, Sony was really thinking of implementing drm so they can get a slice of the pie as a publisher of games themselves and perhaps end up with unified support to kill of used games or at least control it.

If Sony moved first, xbox could've used it against them so they decided to wait.

Once they saw the mistakes Microsoft made, Sony capitalized on the backlash and used that against Microsoft. but in the end, they will still want to support killing off the used games market (and support 3rd party publishers) i just think playing the freedom card to the crowd then to hear this is a bit disappointing. Sony is not looking out for the consumer but is just going along with the market while microsoft tried to control it.

edite: opps! i just repeated a few points you guys pointed out "was typing and didn't see the posts"

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Guest davidwhangchoi

Looks like Sony responded.

taken straight from the article:

Update: Sony responded to our query, reiterating that all disc-based games will be able to be traded and resold at the owner's discretion, regardless of whether it's first or third party.

"Similar to PS3, we will not dictate the online used game strategy (the ability to play used games online) of its publishing partners," a Sony representative told Polygon. "As announced last night, PS4 will not have any gating restrictions for used disc-based games. When a gamer buys a PS4 disc they have right to use that copy of the game, so they can trade-in the game at retail, sell it to another person, lend it to a friend, or keep it forever."

The Sony representative also confirmed that the Online Pass program used in some Sony first-party games on PS3 would not be used at all for its titles on PS4

Let us hope there is a really fun Macross game on PS4 that has Multiplayer......

Fixed. Seriously, the game industry needs to stop screwing around and trying to cram multiplayer into everything under the sun. Just give me a solid singleplayer experience.

I want to pre-order a ps4 now, but do you guys think that they will have game bundles by launch?

BestBuy will probably create their own, based on history. Many stores will likely sell $650 "PS4+2nd controller+GameA+GameB+Cleaning kit" combos as the ONLY option to get one on launch day.

GameStop has several bundles on their online store.

I looked into those before pre ordering at best buy. I don't think you actually save any money right? You're still paying full price for the added controller and game?

I guess it may be worth it to secure an extra controller though

I don't recall hearing anything about multiple editions. The only special edition I heard about was the "Day One" exclusive edition for anyone that pre-orders. Comes with the extras but that's all.

Rumor: Two Versions of the next Xbox.

It restricts how and where you can resell your game, by default.

Don't see the problem with this. There are already too many places selling used games.

Edited by BeyondTheGrave

Don't see the problem with this. There are already too many places selling used games.

That's a hell of a short-sighted and ignorant statement. I prefer getting the most I can for my used games, not what is dictated to me by what is essentially a monopoly.

This is what MS is counting on: most Americans are too quick to bend over in the name of blind consumerism.

So MS's answer to the question is a defiant middle finger in the face of its customers? The guy barely stopped short of saying, "Don't got internet? Then buy another 360...ya bunch of cheap-ass backwater hicks."

Buy another 360? No. But I can see a lot of people going for the PS4, instead.

Guest davidwhangchoi

So MS's answer to the question is a defiant middle finger in the face of its customers? The guy barely stopped short of saying, "Don't got internet? Then buy another 360...ya bunch of cheap-ass backwater hicks."

Buy another 360? No. But I can see a lot of people going for the PS4, instead.

yeah, it's looking bad, i gotta feeling Microsoft will backtrack... and address this soon. i think they're trapped and need time to re-work the agreements in place with the publishers and used retailers. or they may hope to ride it out believing the hardcore fans will love HALO.