All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

Gotta wonder how many people love Halo SO much they'll buy a console and game they can't resell just for it. (There are very few other exclusives anywhere near "system-seller" status)

I'm a huge Panzer Dragoon fan, but I can live without the rehash.

yeah, it's looking bad, i gotta feeling Microsoft will backtrack... and address this soon. i think they're trapped and need time to re-work the agreements in place with the publishers and used retailers. or they may hope to ride it out believing the hardcore fans will love HALO.

Yup, that's what I think, too. That exec guy seems to be fighting for his life/job/retirement plan right now, putting on what's supposed to be a brave face and fully backing the "clingy girlfriend" online features (call me everyday at this time, or else...), but I doubt it'll hold for long.

Most likely, they're still figuring out how to back down gracefully, and still save face.

Gotta wonder how many people love Halo SO much they'll buy a console and game they can't resell just for it. (There are very few other exclusives anywhere near "system-seller" status)

But if they love the game so much, why would they want to resell it in the first place? :p

Edited by GU-11

:*raises hand* :unsure:

But if they love the game so much, why would they want to resell it in the first place? :p

I still have my copies of Halo 1, Halo 2, and ODST. The only reason I don't still have a copy of Halo 3 is because I loaned the disk to a friend and he never gave it back to me before going off to college (it was from the Legendary edition too, I'm still pissed about that).

I still have my copies of Halo 1, Halo 2, and ODST. The only reason I don't still have a copy of Halo 3 is because I loaned the disk to a friend and he never gave it back to me before going off to college (it was from the Legendary edition too, I'm still pissed about that).

I still have games dating back to the Mega Drive 2 era. If games are expensive in the US, there's even more expensive here when you factor in import taxes and the seller's profits. I only buy games I really like, and still replay many of them today, even old PS era ones like Street Fighter Alpha 2.

BTW, I had a similar experience with games I lent to a friend, though I managed to get it back in the end. I had to waylay the guy and follow him home to get it back.

Xbox One is both region and IP locked. Live in an area it's not launched in? You can't use it.

Which, for the first year after launch, is more than half the world, including Asia, Africa, South America (except Brazil), and Eastern Europe.

For the fourth time, they've given up on the international market. This means fewer sales, which means less demand; less demand means fewer game sales for the system, which means publishers are less-likely to develop for the system.

WTF are they thinking?

I still have games dating back to the Mega Drive 2 era. If games are expensive in the US, there's even more expensive here when you factor in import taxes and the seller's profits. I only buy games I really like, and still replay many of them today, even old PS era ones like Street Fighter Alpha 2.

Their servers ever go down, you won't be playing any of you Xbox One games. They come offline permanently, you'll never play them ever again. Grats!

yeah, it's looking bad, i gotta feeling Microsoft will backtrack... and address this soon. i think they're trapped and need time to re-work the agreements in place with the publishers and used retailers. or they may hope to ride it out believing the hardcore fans will love HALO.

Just like they back-tracked on Windows 8? Don't have a touch screen on your desktop or laptop? TOO BAD! We are the future--buy one and stop whining!

Edited by Duke Togo

WTF are they thinking?

Their servers ever go down, you won't be playing any of you Xbox One games. They come offline permanently, you'll never play them ever again. Grats!

My post wasn't in defense of XBox One in any way--I was replying to anime42k8's post on keeping all his Halo games.

The only console I ever planned on buying is the PS4, even before all this big brother Kinect "phone home" nonsense. In fact, I've never been a fan of XBox, and I've NEVER used any online modes in all three PS consoles. A console that forces you to go online everyday isn't likely to win me over, to say the least.

My post wasn't in defense of XBox One in any way--I was replying to anime42k8's post on keeping all his Halo games.

The only console I ever planned on buying is the PS4, even before all this big brother Kinect "phone home" nonsense. In fact, I've never been a fan of XBox, and I've NEVER used any online modes in all three PS consoles. A console that forces you to go online everyday isn't likely to win me over, to say the least.

Oh, I know, I was just pointing out the limitations of where MS wants to take us.

Oh, I know, I was just pointing out the limitations of where MS wants to take us.

You're certainly justified in doing so. Every forum I visit, I see people just about ready to tear the MS execs a new one. The only ones defending the XBone are trolling so hard, it's hard not to think they were paid by MS.

That comment you made about the servers got me thinking. When the Xbox one becomes obsolete, do they shut down the servers and render the machines unusable? That means your whole library of old favorites goes down the drain.

Honestly, I'm not sure if Sony won this console war, or MS simply shoved a grenade in its own mouth and blew itself six ways to hell.

Edited by GU-11

Honestly, I'm not sure if Sony won this console war, or MS simply shoved a grenade in its own mouth and blew itself six ways to hell.

More the latter; Sony just kept the status quo. Memo to MS: when I buy games on Steam, I'm not paying g $59.99 for them.

Edited by Duke Togo

One thing I'm not sure that has been discussed is what happens several years from now when the new MS system replacing the XBone comes and MS shuts down the Bone's servers? Are people going to be cool with the fact that all the money sunk into it for games is rendered moot when MS says "Forget the Xbox one, you buy this new system if you want to play!"?

More the latter; Sony just kept the status quo. Memo to MS: when I buy games on Steam, I'm not paying g $59.99 for them.

I've heard plenty of theories that this is mostly due to MS's obsession with getting rid of game piracy, which doesn't surprise me. Plenty of people here chose to buy a 360 mostly because they could no longer play copied games on the PS3. I chose the PS3 mostly because 1. I avoid pirated games as the low quality discs add to the wear and tear of the console's laser (or whatever it's called), and 2. The rampant RRoD reports put me off.

One thing I'm not sure that has been discussed is what happens several years from now when the new MS system replacing the XBone comes and MS shuts down the Bone's servers? Are people going to be cool with the fact that all the money sunk into it for games is rendered moot when MS says "Forget the Xbox one, you buy this new system if you want to play!"?

I was just telling the same thing to Duke Togo. Xboners (yipes!) are royally screwed when the XBone becomes obsolete (pun too appropriate to be unintended).

I'd say they've been...(puts on sunglasses)...Xboned! YEEAAAHHHHHH!

Plenty of people here chose to buy a 360 mostly because they could no longer play copied games on the PS3.

I dunno. 360 had a year lead on the PS3, and moved 7 million units before the PS3 had hit the streets. Personally, I think the fact that blu-ray won the format war is what turned the tide--I know its when myself and a lot of my friends picked up the PS3. As of this past January, the 360 is third in sales behind the Wii and PS3.

Edited by Duke Togo

Just like they back-tracked on Windows 8? Don't have a touch screen on your desktop or laptop? TOO BAD! We are the future--buy one and stop whining!

And we know how well that's going for them...

But yes, what happens when the authentication servers go down and stay down for weeks? When the PSN was hacked, Sony shut down the network service for 24 days. If something happens to XBone, and Microsoft has to take its network down for a month, you are going to have lots of angry customers. LOTS. At least when PSN went down, gamers could still play locally-run games.

And we know how well that's going for them...

But yes, what happens when the authentication servers go down and stay down for weeks? When the PSN was hacked, Sony shut down the network service for 24 days. If something happens to XBone, and Microsoft has to take its network down for a month, you are going to have lots of angry customers. LOTS. At least when PSN went down, gamers could still play locally-run games.

It would break the system.

All it takes is one EMP based Nuke....XBone is gone. :D

Kidding aside. Yes I also am not pleased with MS. I enjoy my 360 for the games(Gears of War) but will be getting a PS4 for the next gen.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Bu-bu-but!! Microsoft says they will have 300 servers and that will never happen lol

Guest davidwhangchoi

Ithis reminds me of when Sony had a juggernaut and had RockStar in the bag who only made the GTA franchise for PS2 waiting on Crazy Ken and how much will it take to make it exclusive for PS3 and remembering in their arrogance sony replying:

"The next gen starts when we say it does" -Ken Kutaragi and Kaz Harai

looks like Microsoft is repeating the same mistakes with their attitude

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Exactly. Which is why I said they would have a lot of angry customers.

Microsoft defends Xbox One: 'Digital is better' (CNN)

I found this quote amusing:

"This is a big change, consumers don't always love change, and there's a lot of education we have to provide to make sure that people understand."

I'll say it again, cuz this plan worked SOOOOO well for Windows 8/8.1. Yes, Digital is better, but not they way Microsoft is doing it.

Found this on a Xbone thread on Gamespot:

Super_Epic_Facepalm.jpg

I think what it really boils down to, for me, is that there are enough games that come out only on consoles and not PC that I need to own a console. However, there aren't really enough exclusives that make me lean one way or the other (Nintendo being a special case where I bought a Wii and a Wii U for first-party content almost exclusively). If the Xbox One was released in a vacuum, I'd overlook the flaws, buy one, and get on with my life.

That's not the case, though. The reality is that they're releasing a console with a number of anti-consumer features around the same time as their primary competitor is releasing their box without those anti-consumer features, plays 90% of the same games, and costs $100 less. Brand loyalty only goes so far...

I don't believe in brand loyalty. If the situation was reversed I'd have preordered a One.

And I agree, the only thing that keeps me buying consoles are the titles that don't make their way to PC.

Edited by Duke Togo

Guest davidwhangchoi

Proving my point on sales: PS4 release-day pre-order is sold out on Amazon (and likely everywhere). Xbox One "Day One Edition"? Still available!

it looks like xbox is number one now...

http://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-video-games/zgbs/videogames/ref=zg_bsms_tab_t_bs?t=slickdeals&tag=slickdeals&ascsubtag=a7XIRtStEeKddsLdl8mYFwdjn2_8pEb3_0_0_0

got my launch day ps4 pre-order in so i'm set.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

it looks like xbox is number one now...

Yeah...because the Launch Day PS4s are all pre-ordered. No one wants to get the standard PS4? Cuz there's this note:

Product Alert

The standard version of the PlayStation 4 is identical to the Launch Edition. Due to high demand, we cannot guarantee Release-Date Delivery on the standard version of the PlayStation 4. We will deliver the standard version of PlayStation 4 as close to its release date as possible.

:unsure:

Yeah...because the Launch Day PS4s are all pre-ordered. No one wants to get the standard PS4? Cuz there's this note:

Standard PS4 has moved ahead of Day One Xbox. I should have pre-ordered two PS4's, and sold the second one on eBay.

Guest davidwhangchoi

thanks! :) i was just surprised xbox is up there at all after their bs. i'm surprise people would want it at all. i'm glad PS4 is took back the lead

Edited by davidwhangchoi

thanks! :) i was just surprised xbox is up there at all after all there bs i'm surprise people would want it at all. i'm glad PS4 is took back the lead

The back orders on the PS4 have surpassed it, not just the release-day PS4. MS declared the Day One sold out on Amazon hours after it was announced. I assume a large number of people canceled their pre-order.

Even for all the hub-bub, I still find this all rather shocking.

Edited by Duke Togo