HG and Robotech Debates, ep. 8

azrael

Yeah, the real 3 stooges are classic. To even put morons in their category is a poor shot on the real stooges. I'm sure with all the creativity here, we can come up with a better analogy.

Yeah, the real 3 stooges are classic. To even put morons in their category is a poor shot on the real stooges. I'm sure with all the creativity here, we can come up with a better analogy.

How does that old saying go? An infinite number of monkeys working at an infinite number of typewriters will eventually produce Shakespeare?

The rest of them are writing Robotech scripts.

How does that old saying go? An infinite number of monkeys working at an infinite number of typewriters will eventually produce Shakespeare?

Too bad they didn't hire some more monkeys to animate and direct these scripts. We might actually have some new Robotech that way.

Unfortunately for them, those monkeys only know how to fling poo at one another.

How does that old saying go? An infinite number of monkeys working at an infinite number of typewriters will eventually produce Shakespeare? The rest of them are writing Robotech scripts.

Even the Monkeys would not stoop that low (including the poo flingers)

People realize Mospeada was also a rating failure right? The producer says so in the DVD booklet.

Wait this is actually a recent article? Why does it read like it was written in the early 2000's? So much of it is hearsay, speculation, opinion, and a lot of biased accounts of past events.

I know none of us can be objective all of time in their (like moi~), but sheesh.

Edited by VF5SS

People realize Mospeada was also a rating failure right? The producer says so in the DVD booklet.

Wait this is actually a recent article? Why does it read like it was written in the early 2000's? So much of it is hearsay, speculation, opinion, and a lot of biased accounts of past events.

I know none of us can be objective all of time in their (like moi~), but sheesh.

The fifth paragraph talked about recent happenings, in terms of the franchise at least, including Shadow Chronicles and the Carl Macek documentary. I assumed this was, once again, another person who got betrayed by the franchise after supporting it so much in the past and learning its dirty little secrets. You know, nostalgia, the Internet, and drama put together.

And as a testament to the real progress Robotech has gone through in the 2000s, I think it would have been relevant regardless of when in that decade this article was actually written.

Edited by Einherjar

When she is done fighting she can do some exercise...

MY EYES! MY EYES!!!! It burns....

(a couple days later and I'm still having flashbacks, the pain, the pain).

PS - everyone else gets a date with Rick, why not Dana too?

My thoughts exactly. Why didn't poor Dana get a date too?

I have a theory. If they managed to turn Rick's hair into something that resembles Donny Osmond, I shudder to think what 'Zor's' hair would have looked like. Maybe the 'Zor' doll was too much for public consumption, hence poor Dana not getting a date...

Dana looked the best out of all of the "Women of Robotech", too. Aside from her baggy military outfit, It wasn't so bad. I like how Dana has time for a workout after battle. It's like she's ready to become Olivia-Newton John in Xanadu. (singing) Xanaduuuu, Xanaduuuu, now we are here.... Ugh

Dana looked the best out of all of the "Women of Robotech", too. Aside from her baggy military outfit, It wasn't so bad. I like how Dana has time for a workout after battle. It's like she's ready to become Olivia-Newton John in Xanadu. (singing) Xanaduuuu, Xanaduuuu, now we are here.... Ugh

Isn't she NEAT...?

Here's what bother's me the most about those commercials. In the first, Rick flew her in the Fanjet to take her on a date when in fact, he flew the Fanjet to meet her parents. That's out of continuity. In the second one, after a day of ordering squads to their deaths, Lisa still finds it okay to dress formally for a date with Rick. Wouldn't you be disturbed by that. Regarding both of these, they show two women competing over one man, as if to tell young girls that they're not pretty or talented enough, and will always be in competition with each other.

Finally, in the third one, Natasha Lyonne went on to have well documented drug and alcohol problems, so no, playing with a Dana Sterling doll is not in fact, neat.

Ok I re-read that article you posted after quelling the knee-jerk reaction that vexes us all, and I can agree with the general sentiment that Robotech has lost almost all meaning as a product. And the way it's been one long lie to fans has done nothing to preserve the franchise. However I must disagree with the notion that Robotech told a good story because it didn't tell its own story. It just told three stories (more or less) that were already complete. As I've said before, the things they added are so less well received than what was already there. The strange statements that Robotech's continuity (haha) has fared better than Macross and the offhand remark about the quality of Macross's sequels is kind of distracting. Some old anime fans are coming across as bitter these days because some people lied to them about anime back in the day.

No, you DO NOT...

YES! I do...

Here's what bother's me the most about those commercials. In the first, Rick flew her in the Fanjet to take her on a date when in fact, he flew the Fanjet to meet her parents. That's out of continuity. In the second one, after a day of ordering squads to their deaths, Lisa still finds it okay to dress formally for a date with Rick. Wouldn't you be disturbed by that. Regarding both of these, they show two women competing over one man, as if to tell young girls that they're not pretty or talented enough, and will always be in competition with each other.

Finally, in the third one, Natasha Lyonne went on to have well documented drug and alcohol problems, so no, playing with a Dana Sterling doll is not in fact, neat.

I was hoping girls would learn that it's OK to be going out with the same guy... in fact if everything works out they can all get inside a three seat fan racer, because Rick will want to do them both in a very uncomfortable place...

Ok I re-read that article you posted after quelling the knee-jerk reaction that vexes us all, and I can agree with the general sentiment that Robotech has lost almost all meaning as a product. And the way it's been one long lie to fans has done nothing to preserve the franchise. However I must disagree with the notion that Robotech told a good story because it didn't tell its own story. It just told three stories (more or less) that were already complete. As I've said before, the things they added are so less well received than what was already there. The strange statements that Robotech's continuity (haha) has fared better than Macross and the offhand remark about the quality of Macross's sequels is kind of distracting. Some old anime fans are coming across as bitter these days because some people lied to them about anime back in the day.

The funny thing is that they always go back to the old "we did it so we can meet the syndication standards". So even if you didn't like it as a 3 part story, they were still doing you a huge favor because you would have never heard of it and that's the only way it could have been done! How about just bringing over all 3 Super Dimensional series, just like they did in Japan?

Supposedly Revell Models and other sponsors I think asked for the shows to be tied together or something like that. Not that doing so means concocting the MULTI-GENERATIONAL EPIC (take a shot every time someone says that). I still think Macek was going above and beyond to indulge his auteur side.

Either way it sure sucked for them in the end.

I've managed to live for DECADES without knowing those commercias exist. You should be ashamed of yourself!

LOL holy &^%$ing crap, that was funny....

does Robot Chicken need permission to do parodies? they try and grab those barbie-fakes and go to town with a Lilo tie-in...

Edited by pensives_wetness