HG and Robotech Debates, ep. 8

azrael

The fall of Harmony Gold would be good for Robotech fans but not so much for Macross fans if Robotech and Macross get transferred to another company(s). The problem Macross fans have is Tatsunoko. Tatsunoko doesn't work together with the creators of Macross.

I thought everything was already settled with Tatsunoko in court and all recent legal snarls happen solely because of HG. They cite Tatsunoko a whole lot in their dealings with other people, but does Tatsunoko even care? I'd imagine they're real busy with other profitable, and relevant, stuff right now.

How so? They would go back to Tatsunoko.

Maybe. We don't know the terms of the original contract. For all we know it may have been a perpetual or even a permanent sale of those rights (it was back in the 1980s...) so Tatsunoko/Takara would probably have to buy back those rights they originally sold.

You'd think by the very nature of the deals, HG money was involved somehow. HG was the one who bought the international rights for the Paramount properties and sold them to Berlusconi's company. From what I can surmise, everything after that was allegedly done on Berlusconi's side, but it seems they're accusing Agrama of knowing what was going and getting compensated. So from that standpoint, HG definitely had some involvement. I have no clue has to exact legalities or repercussions that could come out about.

While they may have initially involved HG, Agrama owns another company called Olympus Trading (among many) which did some of the licensing buying/selling in 2002-2005. If there is enough evidence to bring Agrama to actual trial then a bunch of things could happen.

This article from the Los Angeles Times in 2006 may explain what's going on a bit better: http://articles.lati...cal/me-agrama29

Interesting, I didn't know about the Olympus Trading. I assumed it was HG because that's where the ANN article said the FBI raided (then again, that building is/was probably the base of operations for all of his companies).

The article from October said he "faces" trial, but doesn't specifically say he will be tried. I guess we'll find out in December, but it seems like they probably won't find anything. Statute of limitations probably apply, and he's had 6 years go clean up anything that might have been considered "evidence." This whole thing seemed like a "get to Berlusconi through his friends" witch hunt and now they're just following through the motions.

Edit:

Just found this article on Robotech.com from 10 years ago, which looks really, really odd and out of place:

http://www.robotech.com/news/viewarticle.php?id=33

Edited by Darkwater

The fall of Harmony Gold would be good for Robotech fans but not so much for Macross fans if Robotech and Macross get transferred to another company(s). The problem Macross fans have is Tatsunoko. Tatsunoko doesn't work together with the creators of Macross.

I don't think it'd be bad for Macross fans. The Macross projects that were done with Tatsunoko involved are already available to us here in the states, and as Tatsunoko doesn't seem like they were involved in Frontier, or 7, or Zero, I think that HG falling (if it even did) wouldn't have an adverse effect on the Macross franchise.

Just wondering, Who holds the rights for Macross Plus & Macross 2 in the US and other countries outside of Japan? If things happen like everybody's hoping but not holding their breaths on, these might finally get a Blu Ray release over here. Also, since Toynami aquired the Robotech liscense from HG, would this mean that there could be apossibilty for Bandai's and Yamato's USA divisions to release Macross toys if the demand for them would occur? *really wishful thinking, I know*

Edited by mrhillz

...and as Tatsunoko doesn't seem like they were involved in Frontier, or 7, or Zero,...

After DYRL?, Tatsunoko was not involved with the franchise. This relates into Tatsunoko's lawsuit against Bandai. Tatsunoko wanted a share of the profits from the rest of the franchise (II, Plus, 7, Zero, and any future projects) because they worked on SDFM. But because they didn't work on the rest of the franchise, the courts ruled, simply, they get nothing from the rest of the franchise.

Just wondering, Who holds the rights for Macross Plus & Macross 2 in the US and other countries outside of Japan?

Currently? Manga Entertainment.

If things happen like everybody's hoping but not holding their breaths on, these might finally get a Blu Ray release over here. Also, since Toynami aquired the Robotech liscense from HG, would this mean that there could be apossibilty for Bandai's and Yamato's USA divisions to release Macross toys if the demand for them would occur? *really wishful thinking, I know*

If someone were to buy assets, but not renew the trademarks, then yes, it may be possible. But you'll need to take into account regular marketing. There hasn't been a big push to put old shows onto Blu-ray. Likewise, there may not be enough demand to bring toys over at the price points they currently are at. Beyond collectors, no one is gonna buy a $300 VF toy.

So there is another expo happening in Chile again...looks like its being billed as a sequel to SC,,,wtf? @ almost $3k Chilean pesos I couldn't help but tell the peeps it wasn't worth that much for nothing new. <_< Lame that fans over there actually spent money at a local newspaper to promote something totally useless. Chilenos escuchan...no hay nada nuevo de Robotech! -_-

post-2668-0-73184700-1320905005_thumb.jpg

Edited by Zor Primus

So there is another expo happening in Chile again...looks like its being billed as a sequel to SC,,,wtf? @ almost $3k Chilean pesos I couldn't help but tell the peeps it wasn't worth that much for nothing new. <_< Lame that fans over there actually spent money at a local newspaper to promote something totally useless. Chilenos escuchan...no hay nada nuevo de Robotech! -_-

While I can understand spanish when it's spoken, too a good extent, I had no Idea WTF that was. I thought it was a promotion just for the DVD. So, is it just HG people wasting their own and the people's time over there? At this point, I could feel bad for them, but if they're going to put their trust in proven liars and wash-ups, I just can't do it. I maybe at PMX this friday for the Roast of Richard Epcar with some friends, and they want to drink beforehand, and sit in the Robotech panel for the sake of catching the B.S. I'm not up for it, but who knows. If I'm going to have a nice buzz going on, perhaps it may make the panel of some morons trying to be super serious about B.S., and trying to convince some that $hit on a stick is good for you, all the more funny. Who knows.

Lol. I got in trouble at my job today when I was at lunch, hanging out in the electronics department. Some gentleman, wanted to buy the new re-re-re-re-re-release of the A&E RT series. I told him he'd be better off buying Macross Plus or just streaming RT off netflix instead of wasting money on another re-release. The dept manager was there and told me not to scare off the customers, recommend them "to buy" and "not to buy". Turns out, after talking to my friend (whose his boss), there are like 4 boxes filled with 30 dvd sets each, that have not sold since the release. Glad I work in the vision department of my store and not the retail floor. Another funny thing, my friend told me they had to ship alot of the Shadow Chronicles dvds back to HG because they would not sell, even when they were discounted. :lol:

Edited by SkullLeaderVF-X

While I can understand spanish when it's spoken, too a good extent, I had no Idea WTF that was. I thought it was a promotion just for the DVD.

On the right side of the advertisement, "Las Crónicas de la Sombra II" translates to "The Chronicles of the Shadow II" a.k.a. The Shadow Chronicles II. Release date Wedensday, November 23rd? Of 2011?

Edited by Einherjar

HG l iquidating their assets would do one very important thing for Macros fans. No one would be left to upkeep the fraudulent copyrights they filed for "Macross." Without that, there's nothing stopping other companies from licensing Frontier & the rest.

HG l iquidating their assets would do one very important thing for Macros fans. No one would be left to upkeep the fraudulent copyrights they filed for "Macross." Without that, there's nothing stopping other companies from licensing Frontier & the rest.

Finger's crossed, but not holding my breath. Being a fan of what it used to be and mean, I can happily say that I hope Robotech just goes to sleep now. I know I'm not the only one, and when real die-hard fans start saying the same thing, it has been time for awhile now.

On the right side of the advertisement, "Las Crónicas de la Sombra II" translates to "The Chronicles of the Shadow II" a.k.a. The Shadow Chronicles II. Release date Wedensday, November 23rd? Of 2011?

Isn't it obvious? Just like how Jason flew to Canada to put up the fake Alto ad for Robotech, it now seems he flew down to South America to distribute this fake Shadow Chronicles II ad in order to piss off Robotech fans and convert them to Macross.

So there is another expo happening in Chile again...looks like its being billed as a sequel to SC,,,wtf?

That's what I said in my original post...

Isn't it obvious? Just like how Jason flew to Canada to put up the fake Alto ad for Robotech, it now seems he flew down to South America to distribute this fake Shadow Chronicles II ad in order to piss off Robotech fans and convert them to Macross.

Unfortunately, that's not the case :(

Source: http://www.lun.com/P...aId=35&bodyid=0

I'm currently working in South America and I'd say there's a hugh lack of information about HG issues and Macross itself.

How come they're listing it as Part 1 and Part 2? Someone in the Spanish-speaking world trying milk SC???

Yeah thats what had me thinking wtf??? This would be the second time HG short changed the fans in Chile. There was a bit of an uproar when LLA came out, a few down there were like "are they seriously passing off this as something new?" lol

C'mon guys, you know how I roll! I'm a secret agent working for Skull and Bones, trying to undermine all things Robotech by secretly inserting Macross everywhere I go, and they let me do it by flying me all over the world to do it. Today, we question Robotech, tomorrow, we take over the world.

Yeah thats what had me thinking wtf??? This would be the second time HG short changed the fans in Chile. There was a bit of an uproar when LLA came out, a few down there were like "are they seriously passing off this as something new?" lol

Sorry, I interpreted that wrong. I thought LLA was being promoted as the sequel and the release date was misinformed instead of Shadow Chronicles being cut in half and sold in chunks. That is screwed up. It sounds like price discrimination and stuff at work. Or even worse, 80's editing.

Edited by Einherjar

C'mon guys, you know how I roll! I'm a secret agent working for Skull and Bones, trying to undermine all things Robotech by secretly inserting Macross everywhere I go, and they let me do it by flying me all over the world to do it. Today, we question Robotech, tomorrow, we take over the world.

You even admit it. Maybe you didn't fly to Chile but you set up a false advertising firm only so that could buy ad space in a Chilean magazine. Your next ad is going to say "No Nuevos Robotech? Visita Macrossworld.com!"

You even admit it. Maybe you didn't fly to Chile but you set up a false advertising firm only so that could buy ad space in a Chilean magazine. Your next ad is going to say "No Nuevos Robotech? Visita Macrossworld.com!"

I'm caught red handed. I'm surprised a certain podcaster didn't figure that out before you. ;)

It wouldn't happen to be this Skull and Bones would it??? hmmmmmmmm

post-2668-0-29156800-1321021623_thumb.jpg

How come they're listing it as Part 1 and Part 2? Someone in the Spanish-speaking world trying milk SC???

It's the OVA version, dammit! You lying Macross Purists never made a peep when Macross Plus did it! Now we see the bias inherent in the system!

It's the OVA version, dammit! You lying Macross Purists never made a peep when Macross Plus did it! Now we see the bias inherent in the system!

In all seriousness, I think it's them releasing the single-disc version one week and the 2-disc version a week later. Kind of an odd release strategy, but that's up to the distributor.

It wouldn't happen to be this Skull and Bones would it??? hmmmmmmmm

Yep, and I would tell you what initiation is, but I'd have to kill you. :p

In all seriousness, I think it's them releasing the single-disc version one week and the 2-disc version a week later. Kind of an odd release strategy, but that's up to the distributor.

You would hope that it's something as trivial as that. If they actually did split it, then expected people to pay for two, well, I'm sure that'd suck to no end for the purchasers. Although, it probably is going to suck already for those that simply just buy it to begin with. I didn't spend a dime on that monstrosity, and the one copy I had been given years ago, that was still in the wrapping, was given for free to someone who bought the Protoculture collection DVD set I was auctioning on Ebay. Easy little selling gimmick, and it worked.

They're probably splitting it.

Roobtech: "Las Crónicas de la Sombra" (The Shadow Chronicles)

ESTRENO MUNDIAL EXCLUSIVO por primera vez EN CASTELLANO LATINO

-DISCO 1: película y comentarios del equipo

-DISCO 2: • 5 Documentales (69 min.): El nacimiento de una secuela, La banda sonora, Robotech en la expo de anime, Entrevista con el director, Robotech 3000 • 17 Escenas y planos eliminados (7 min.) • 6 Animatics (7 min.) • 5 Trailers y spots (6 min.) • 5 Galerías (personajes y mechas) • Entrevistas con las voces de la película

Robotech: Las Crónicas de la Sombra (54 min.)

Idiomas: inglés 5.1 y castellano 2.0. Subtítulos: castellano. Widescreen

There's a nasty surprise waiting for people at the end of part 2.

So they chopped off the last 34 minutes and saved that for "Part 2" while the US release got all 1.5 hours on 1 disc. Talk about a slow agonizing pain... oh and milking of fans in the Spanish-speaking world.

They're probably splitting it.

Yep, the chilean release has a split release, one week the movie and then the DVD with the extra material.

That was my mistake in paste the DVD specs...

FIXED!

• Entrevistas con las voces de la película

Robotech: Las Crónicas de la Sombra (54 min.)

One would assume that whoever bought the property would maintain the trademarks.