HG and Robotech Debates, ep. 8

azrael

It's just like when a certain someone conveniently forgot to tell people he had a talk with Michael Jelenic at Comci-Con this year about Robotech until five months after the fact. Also, no one knew about the Robotech reference in the Futurama season finale until the day it was shown, even though that segment was shown at the same convention. Mind you, HG left the con by then.

I expected more from fans whose goal is keeping other fans "informed."

Edited by Einherjar

Also, no one knew about the Robotech reference in the Futurama season finale until the day it was shown, even though that segment was shown at the same convention. Mind you, HG left the con by then.

That's almost forgivable, since every reference can't be policed and likely no permission was sought in the first place(like when Letterman was using Robotech music).

But when someone says "Hi, HG, I'd like to put some official artwork of yours on the cover of my book," you'd think at least they'd say "Why sure... when is it coming out?"

What's also weird is you'd think Frank Catalano would say "Hey, HG, remember that book I was writing that I used your artwork on? Well, it's coming out in case you want to mention it on one of your websites/newsfeeds"

If they were in the middle of releasing their 10th DVD movie, 8th comic series and prepping the LAM, you could see why something like this would fly under the radar. But when the big story is another RPG book and remodeled toy, you'd think this would be something they would want promote, if nothing other than to promote the brand name.

That's almost forgivable, since every reference can't be policed and likely no permission was sought in the first place(like when Letterman was using Robotech music).

But when someone says "Hi, HG, I'd like to put some official artwork of yours on the cover of my book," you'd think at least they'd say "Why sure... when is it coming out?"

What's also weird is you'd think Frank Catalano would say "Hey, HG, remember that book I was writing that I used your artwork on? Well, it's coming out in case you want to mention it on one of your websites/newsfeeds"

If they were in the middle of releasing their 10th DVD movie, 8th comic series and prepping the LAM, you could see why something like this would fly under the radar. But when the big story is another RPG book and remodeled toy, you'd think this would be something they would want promote, if nothing other than to promote the brand name.

That's probably the strangest thing about the whole thing. I think it's cool that Frank Catalano wants to put out this book. I'm sure he knows that the title will sell simply due to the fact that it is Robotech, at least somewhat. What is strange, is that HG isn't doing any promoting of it. I thought they supported the voice actors and those that worked on Robotech? Guess not. I wonder if they aren't saying anything because they wanted to get the books for a cheap price to markup at rt.com, or maybe it didn't fit with Tommy's ego, or maybe, just maybe, HG really doesn't care too much about he voice actors like they claim. They haven't treated Michael Bradley too well, I'm sure it's not too hard to do the same to any of the others.

That's probably the strangest thing about the whole thing. I think it's cool that Frank Catalano wants to put out this book. I'm sure he knows that the title will sell simply due to the fact that it is Robotech, at least somewhat. What is strange, is that HG isn't doing any promoting of it. I thought they supported the voice actors and those that worked on Robotech? Guess not. I wonder if they aren't saying anything because they wanted to get the books for a cheap price to markup at rt.com, or maybe it didn't fit with Tommy's ego, or maybe, just maybe, HG really doesn't care too much about he voice actors like they claim. They haven't treated Michael Bradley too well, I'm sure it's not too hard to do the same to any of the others.

Or argma may be at the max that he can write off on taxes.

I can't help but feel that if it was Tony Oliver instead, they would be all over it. They seem to "love" him, get him when they can, etc.

Or argma may be at the max that he can write off on taxes.

I thought it was so that he could claim his millions came from Robotech products when he gets sued

Italian Judge: Mr. Agrama, there was over $10 million in your Swiss bank account, where's it coming from?

Agrama: I make Robotech! We are so popular! We sell calendars and wristbands and CDs! Millions buy it!

Italian Judge: You've made over $10 million on selling $9.99 calendars while being able to afford a staff?

Agrama: Yes! Robotech is popular! We have some crazy guy in Ohio making a four-hour podcast every week!

Seriously... who the F#CK would put money into Robotech WRISTBANDS?!?

maybe, just maybe, HG really doesn't care too much about he voice actors like they claim. They haven't treated Michael Bradley too well, I'm sure it's not too hard to do the same to any of the others.

Rand Unwrapped-Confessions of that Unloved Voice Actor that sounds kind of live Tony Oliver

It's just like when a certain someone conveniently forgot to tell people he had a talk with Michael Jelenic at Comci-Con this year about Robotech until five months after the fact. Also, no one knew about the Robotech reference in the Futurama season finale until the day it was shown, even though that segment was shown at the same convention. Mind you, HG left the con by then.

Except that HG's stance seems to be zero advertising & info = SUCCESS!!

I can't help but feel that if it was Tony Oliver instead, they would be all over it. They seem to "love" him, get him when they can, etc.

Well, Michael Bradley didn't make a trip down to Chile for a large unofficial Robotech convention either. I think the reason why MB got thrown under the bus is he can't be controlled.

But he did, once in 2005...

And again in 2010...

I think that was Scannerfish's point. Michael Bradley didn't, y'know, play by Tommy's rules. And thus gets his piece of the pie taken away, or something like that.

I dunno...does Bendo have some theory about why Michael Bradley should be ostracized...?

Now I'm confused, he said he didn't got to Chile for an unofficial convention, but he did, and that's his point? Anyways, the first con was pseudo-official, since it was run by Memo with Tommy's help.

Now as far as Bendo, in order to get an explanation from him, you'll need one four-hour podcast where he speculates the reasons why, then a second four-hour podcast where cites all of his previous explanation as fact, completely forgetting that his previous podcast was pure speculation.

Edited by Darkwater

That's probably the strangest thing about the whole thing. I think it's cool that Frank Catalano wants to put out this book. I'm sure he knows that the title will sell simply due to the fact that it is Robotech, at least somewhat. What is strange, is that HG isn't doing any promoting of it. I thought they supported the voice actors and those that worked on Robotech?

Actually, it's not that unusual. There are other confessional/insider books written by people in the industry that are not promoted by their past or present employers, and that practice is sound. If Catalano were to make some anti-semitic remarks in his book, and Harmony Gold actively promoted the book on its website, then it might appear that Harmony Gold endorses Catalano's remarks. Conversely, if Harmony Gold were to expressly promote the book, and Catalano were to write nothing but praise for Harmony Gold, then the authenticity of the book would run the risk of being jeopardized.

As for the use of the trademarked name and licensed artwork on the cover, it's understood in the industry that it's simply a business arrangement and that it doesn't constitute an endorsement.

Sorry guys, no conspiracy here. :p

No, it wasn't. It was really, really stupid.

Not to mention kind of frickin scary... remember that guy's manifesto? Here's a quote that makes you realize some people can discern fanboy-ism from reality:

Don’t get me wrong—women can be strong—but they’re stupid beasts driven by their emotions and, in a straight-up fight, don’t have enough wits to squirm out of getting the crap beat out of them by a decent man.

link

Actually, it's not that unusual. There are other confessional/insider books written by people in the industry that are not promoted by their past or present employers, and that practice is sound. If Catalano were to make some anti-semitic remarks in his book, and Harmony Gold actively promoted the book on its website, then it might appear that Harmony Gold endorses Catalano's remarks. Conversely, if Harmony Gold were to expressly promote the book, and Catalano were to write nothing but praise for Harmony Gold, then the authenticity of the book would run the risk of being jeopardized.

As for the use of the trademarked name and licensed artwork on the cover, it's understood in the industry that it's simply a business arrangement and that it doesn't constitute an endorsement.

Sorry guys, no conspiracy here. :p

I don't think you read through what I wrote. I never said there as a conspiracy, and it doesn't take one to be a little out of the ordinary. Considering how much the staff claims to support the work and endeavors of the voice actors, and for something that has Robotech DIRECTLY RELATED, that makes it strange. Bare in mind, the artwork on the cover is Tommy Yune art as well, so they gave enough condoning of the book to use their art. I don't think anybody's made it more than it is, but it isn't just "nothing". In any case, it makes HG look kinda bad by not even mentioning it as any form of news. Either they really aren't on top of the news (which I doubt in this case), or they're just lazy.

Not to mention kind of frickin scary... remember that guy's manifesto? Here's a quote that makes you realize some people can discern fanboy-ism from reality:

link

Man, I remember that like it was yesterday. Funny how we got blamed as being part of the incident, when in reality, the few of us were just in the vicinity. Definitely worth a laugh now.

Man, I remember that like it was yesterday. Funny how we got blamed as being part of the incident, when in reality, the few of us were just in the vicinity. Definitely worth a laugh now.

Oh yeah... and you guys just happened to be sitting at the grassy knoll.

But what really happened that day. It starts with the overweight fanboy having a seizure from the brainfreeze he got from the triple large shake near the food court... distracting the convention volunteers. Now the nearest men's room was closed at that time and two custodians were seen entering with no mops and what appeared to be multiple pie trays. The first sight of flying whip cream was seen but was not paid attention to, another fanboy was also seen eating an entire pie, possibly not able to stop devouring soon enough to complete the mission. The pie we see in video managed to get some cream on Mr. Yunes face but what we didn't see was the final fatal pieing that managed to cover most of his face. We do see that his head whips back and to the left... inconsistent to the one man job we all assume that it was...

Back and to the left!

Back and to the left!

Back and to the left!

Now that ladies and gentleman... was one magic pie!

(that's what she said!)

What the hell did I just read. Give that boy a straight jacket and a hit of thorazine.

His story of what happened seems a bit strange. Over zealous to say the least, but those be the ramblings of a mad man. I remember him calling us in the early afternoon, telling me of his plan, and then asking if he should do it. I remember McHenry and the other guy both telling him not to do it. I told him the same thing, and he sounded deflated that we weren't going to back him on it. He wanted to do it at a certain time, but after the quick phone conversation, he sounded like he wasn't going to do it. His reply to the suggestions of not going through with it were, "Alright", and nothing really more after that. However, it did happen, and that was that,

But what really happened that day. It starts with the overweight fanboy having a seizure from the brainfreeze he got from the triple large shake near the food court... distracting the convention volunteers. Now the nearest men's room was closed at that time and two custodians were seen entering with no mops and what appeared to be multiple pie trays. The first sight of flying whip cream was seen but was not paid attention to, another fanboy was also seen eating an entire pie, possibly not able to stop devouring soon enough to complete the mission. The pie we see in video managed to get some cream on Mr. Yunes face but what we didn't see was the final fatal pieing that managed to cover most of his face. We do see that his head whips back and to the left... inconsistent to the one man job we all assume that it was...

Back and to the left!

Back and to the left!

Back and to the left!

(that's what she said!)

Argh, that's way too long to put in my signature!! :D

Back and to the left!

Back and to the left!

Back and to the left!

(that's what she said!)

that was so beautiful.