HG and Robotech Debates, ep. 8

azrael

Pretty much that. It was a joking thread that said something like "let's give Tommy a pie to the face!" and afterwards, it was like "Holy sh*t, we were joking!"

Now, apparently, it was a conspiracy amongst Robotech mods to have it done.

Well, look who we're talking about here. Steve and Tommy are pretty paranoid and self-delusional when it comes to Robotech and their ego. You also have morons like juanrt, wdkaiser, etc, who pretend they know the deal, when they aren't even in the vicinity, and the people who give them their info can barely read, write, or talk properly. I'm telling you, and you know this as much as I do...if you get that many dysfunctional people together, strange ideas and theories come together.

Not only that, Steve's story doesn't add up. The pie incident took place in summer of 2007, and McHenry wasn't "un-modded" until something like six months to a year later.

But, it's nice to see that Steve has kept his level of professionalism by banning someone, then responding to them "fanboy-rant" style. At least Kevin allows the people he trolls to respond when he goes on his "defending my job" rants.

robotech.com drama is borring, can't we talk about something more relevenat? Oh that's right, the franchise is dead, carry on! :)

The Robotech franchise reminds me of an old episode of Tales from the Darkside where this old man dies, but is too stubborn to acknowledge that he's dead despite the fact that his body is decomposing.

robotech.com drama is borring, can't we talk about something more relevenat? Oh that's right, the franchise is dead, carry on! :)

Pacific Rim is not the Robotech LAM under a different name, how's that? Find another project that sounds vaguely, and very loosely, similar to Robotech to obsess about that could be the LAM in disguise, fanmen.

Question: When did you start realizing the franchise wasn't going anywhere post-2000 "reboot" under the Yunes?

Was it after you bought all the variant covers of the Love & War comics, not realizing it was a very boring retread of the show?

Was it when your Alpha fighter toy broke apart after you pulled it out of the box?

Was it during the hoopla surrounding Shadow Chronicles? Or the film itself that was a disappointment?

Was it because you got annoyed by Robotech Master's talkshoe show?

Was it because of that lame Halo-ripoff Mospeada game?

Did you get turned off by the legal ramblings with Big West?

Or was it simply because you got tired of Tommy Yune's promise of fame and awesomeness in a post-Hollywood Robotech world?

Edited by chrisk

Question: When did you start realizing the franchise wasn't going anywhere post-2000 "reboot" under the Yunes?

Was it after you bought all the variant covers of the Love & War comics, not realizing it was a very boring retread of the show?

Wait, there were variant covers for that comic series?

Was it when your Alpha fighter toy broke apart after you pulled it out of the box?

I still blame Toynami for this more than HG

Was it during the hoopla surrounding Shadow Chronicles? Or the film itself that was a disappointment?

At the time, they promised us more "soon" so I thought the franchise was gonna be in the spotlight finally

Was it because you got annoyed by Robotech Master's talkshoe show?

What's this?

Was it because of that lame Halo-ripoff Mospeada game?

I just attributed this crappy game to it being a typical tie-in game

I say this is what first opened my eyes to the franchise being screwed. I remember when all the Macross Plus toys were blocked from release in the US which led to me importing my valks which cost me more money - this is when my anger towards HG began.

Or was it simply because you got tired of Tommy Yune's promise of fame and awesomeness in a post-Hollywood Robotech world?

This is probably the most significant reason that led me to realize Robotech is never coming back like it could have. Even my wife knew something was wrong when she sat in on her 3rd Robotech convention panel at SDCC in 3 years and asked why they kept repeating the same info from prior years.

Wait...it was going somewhere BEFORE that...? When, exactly?

I stopped caring well before 2000...

Psssssssssssss.... I was here when that whole drama started... :rolleyes:

Ya know....Maybe it's time to get back on that pony and bring back the olde Macross convention panels. Then we can edjumacate the youngins' about Macross instead of these Hollywood folks who use obscure '80s cartoon references.

Pacific Rim is not the Robotech LAM under a different name, how's that? Find another project that sounds vaguely, and very loosely, similar to Robotech to obsess about that could be the LAM in disguise, fanmen.

I thought the Robotech movie was released under the name Stealth?

Q: Was it because you got annoyed by Robotech Master's talkshoe show?

A: What's this?

That would be the radio interview show by Chris Meadows. The man that popularized the term, "Row-bow-tech".

Q:Was it after you bought all the variant covers of the Love & War comics, not realizing it was a very boring retread of the show?

A:Wait, there were variant covers for that comic series?

That would be because of the great cartoon properties boom in the early 'noughts. Transformers, GI Joe, Gatchaman, Thundercats sold crazy numbers back then. I recall Robotech comics sold upwards of 50,000 copies.. ? (Nowadays you'd be glad if you sold 10k) Tommy Yune knew this and got his buddies to make all these crazy variant covers. When the fad died down, no retailer in their right mind would touch a Robotech comic.

Q: Or was it simply because you got tired of Tommy Yune's promise of fame and awesomeness in a post-Hollywood Robotech world?

A: This is probably the most significant reason that led me to realize Robotech is never coming back like it could have. Even my wife knew something was wrong when she sat in on her 3rd Robotech convention panel at SDCC in 3 years and asked why they kept repeating the same info from prior years.

The reason nobody worthwhile wants to collaborate with Harmony Gold is because they're infamously difficult to work with. McKeever has indirectly admitted on more than one occasion that "this business is tough" and that his critics "don't know anything". That's only because you're a liar and a jerk, sir.

Wait...it was going somewhere BEFORE that...? When, exactly?
Psssssssssssss.... I was here when that whole drama started... :rolleyes:

I recall years ago reading these very early threads on the old message boards. Tommy and Steve Yune were playing nice with old school fans, asking them to contribute ideas and whatnot. People were pretty excited that Robotech was coming back in a "big way". We never got Robotech Zero, or Plus. Sorry.

Edited by chrisk

Check this out. Maybe Robotech really is coming back big (I'm just kidding):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Robotech-II-Sentinels-Book-IV-13-Academy-FINAL-ISSUE-/280550333474?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item41521a5c22

Still, I can't believe someone would pay $200 for the final issue of the Sentinels comic but since I have a copy, are there any others that are interested?

My road started sometime in the late '80's or early '90's (Protoculture Addicts #11 [the Robotech fanzine become became a general anime magazine. Big sign or what?]) and the final nail was hammered in April 1995 with Palladium Book's New World Order. Though, Antarctic Press's foray was the fatal blow.

Can't say that the loss of interest was entirely due to HG, but the dearth of anything new directly or indirectly from HG to compete with other anime is ultimately, what killed my interest.

That would be because of the great cartoon properties boom in the early 'noughts. Transformers, GI Joe, Gatchaman, Thundercats sold crazy numbers back then. I recall Robotech comics sold upwards of 50,000 copies.. ? (Nowadays you'd be glad if you sold 10k) Tommy Yune knew this and got his buddies to make all these crazy variant covers. When the fad died down, no retailer in their right mind would touch a Robotech comic.

Didn't the speculator crash happen in the late '90's? Talk about being out of touch with the market if they're still trying to pull that crap in the double oh's...

The legal wranglings of 2000 are the reason the Robotech franchise came back from the dead in the first place, in a vain attempt to assert their misplaced relevance. They had to somehow prove that Robotech was still alive and kicking and wasn't going to be pushed over by the Macross brand. I beblieve that if Yamato and Toycom hadn't gotten together to try and distribute valks in the US there would be no Shadow Chronicles. Discuss. :p

Indeed. The last Robotech merchandise I ever bought was the Robotech Perfect Collection VHS tapes as they were coming out...and I certainly DIDN'T buy them for the Robotech portions.

I recall years ago reading these very early threads on the old message boards. Tommy and Steve Yune were playing nice with old school fans, asking them to contribute ideas and whatnot. People were pretty excited that Robotech was coming back in a "big way". We never got Robotech Zero, or Plus. Sorry.

The "people" who were excited sound kinda dumb. But any objective standard, Robotech more or less fell apart in the late '80s, with the stillbirth of the Sentinels and the failure of The Untold Story. The release of Macross II and Macross Plus in the west should've been the final nail in the coffin.

But then, as Renato points out...

The legal wranglings of 2000 are the reason the Robotech franchise came back from the dead in the first place, in a vain attempt to assert their misplaced relevance. They had to somehow prove that Robotech was still alive and kicking and wasn't going to be pushed over by the Macross brand. I beblieve that if Yamato and Toycom hadn't gotten together to try and distribute valks in the US there would be no Shadow Chronicles. Discuss. :p

I believe this is 100% correct. And thus, you have added the first NEW bit of info into this thread in QUITE a long time. Congratulations. Next time we hang out, your coffee's on me.

Check this out. Maybe Robotech really is coming back big (I'm just kidding):

http://www.ebay.com/...=item41521a5c22

Still, I can't believe someone would pay $200 for the final issue of the Sentinels comic but since I have a copy, are there any others that are interested?

That is a ridiculous price, but you probably are looking at the single rarest comic book issue of Robotech right there.

This was the last pre-Wildstorm issue to come out and store had gone from ordering 5-6 issue per store to 2-3. Since 3,000 of these were likely printed at most, probably 1,000 sold. And it doesn't help that over the last couple of years, some guy on eBay has been buying ALL of the Academy / Eternity comics, driving up the prices for the ten people who want them. This issue is probably sitting uncatalogued in a few bargain bins around the country, but the amount of people who have this issue and can identify it are few and far between.

This comic also kinda/sorta ties into the first few pages of Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles, so there's that.

Edited by Darkwater

Gotta love the last supposed "final sting"...

http://www.robotechx.com/forums/43-movies-tv-and-sci-fi/16866-pacific-rim-2013.html?limit=10&start=10#17717

Is Maverick_LSC out of touch OR WHAT...?

I think he's referring to Final Outpost. But unlike the RT-lunatic fringe, we have no delusions about its production especially when we have plenty of animated, written, collectable stuff coming.

How you, uh... how you coming on that animated work called Shadow Rising? Hmm? Got a big, uh, big stack of papers there? Got a, got a, got a nice little story you working on there? Your big -big animation you've been working on for four years? *Voice rising in pitch* Hmm? Got a, got a compelling protagonist, eh? Got a, got an obstacle for him to overcome? Huh? Got a story brewing there? Working on... Working on that for quite some time, huh? Yeah, talking about that four years ago. You've been working on that the whole time? Nice little, uh, narrative-- beginning, middle and end? Some friends become enemies some enemies become friends? Eh? At the end your main character is richer for the experience, yeah?

Yeah? Yeah, you've got, uh-- no, no.

I stopped around 1985 (more or less) when I first saw a bootleg VHS tape of DYRL.

same for me, back in the late 1990's, when i stumbled upon the BEST VIDEO VHS edition of the infamous "SUPERSPACE" TOHO english dub.

i remember now; $15.00, for a suck-ass english dub, recorded in suck-ass EP/LP REC. speed mode.

as such, the nearly two hours of movie was crammed into a 30min. (in highest quality SP mode) T-30 blank, and a really shitty one, at that.

still, it WAS my first exposure to DYRL, and AT LEAST it was the full, unedited movie, regardless of the laughably clueless english language script alterations and VA...

Edited by Shaorin

Gotta love the last supposed "final sting"...

http://www.robotechx...&start=10#17717

Is Maverick_LSC out of touch OR WHAT...?

The more he talks, the more I realize Maverick_LSC's just stupid, and a complete moron. I don't care about his deluded, wishful thinking of some movie magically turning into Robotech, but his comment about "crickets" coming from his camp is just lame. Final Outpost is something that we've all written off, and as Azrael has said, we don't have grand ideas about something that simply isn't there. Last I checked, we don't need wishful thinking for stuff coming from Macross. Again, a full series, 2 movies, 3 or 4 series of manga, and a toy run that makes Robotech look like a garage factory, is what Macross fans have. That's not even counting the live concerts, cosplay items, model kits, and food items. So, yeah, keep thinking you have something big there with Pacific Rim becoming Robotech. Deluded speculation will never beat cold hard facts, dumbass.

I think he's referring to Final Outpost.

Even with regards to Final Outpost on its own, there is evidence that the project at least got into the pre-production stage proper, design aesthetics notwithstanding. Can the same can be said about the RT movie? Is there really a script out there, or just an outline/treatment?

Next time we hang out, your coffee's on me.

Ice cocoa, please. :p

I've purposely been refraining from posting in this thread for the most part due to that fact that I would be regurgitating the same topics that have been posted already.

But-

Does this guy really think that a cheap shot at a fan made production that's been delayed into almost nothing, as common ground with a professionally made production that's been just as delayed into nothing for years? Whatever helps him sleep at night I suppose.

Also , the reason why I came to the thread, He's actually going to be an official convention guest somewhere? How? Why? Who did he pay off? http://ndkdenver.org/guests/kevin-mckeever

The more he talks, the more I realize Maverick_LSC's just stupid, and a complete moron. I don't care about his deluded, wishful thinking of some movie magically turning into Robotech, [...]

Color me baffled, but it's taken this long for you to realize that Maverick_LSC is a complete and utter moron? I would've said you'd only need two or three of his posts to be completely convinced that he's a lead paint-drinking imbecile.

That post of his on RobotechX was the first time I'd bothered paying any attention to that passel of idiots, and I have to say I'm almost disappointed. He's so far gone he actually thinks that parting shot was witty. As far as the content of his speculation is concerned, the desperation is so thick on his post that you could cut it into blocks. Like all avid Robotech fans these days, he has no real way to maintain interest in the franchise except by wildly speculating. Engaging him at all isn't worth the effort, it'd just be having a battle of wits against an unarmed man. There's just no sport in it. Even verbally abusing him for his stupidity seems like a waste of effort. That his increasingly unrealistic hopes will all ultimately be dashed feels like punishment enough for his jackass behavior.

Other Robotech fans at least occupy themselves with behavior that's less idiotic, though no less futile. In the absence of any actual developments from Harmony Gold, the Robotech fans have once again turned on themselves in a desperate last-ditch effort to convince themselves the series is still viable. This time, the complaint du jour is that Harmony Gold has neglected all manner of viable "official" designs that could set Robotech apart from the original shows... basically meaning they just wanna canonize more animation errors. Right now, the error they're saying should be a real thing is the scene from the climax of the Genesis Climber MOSPEADA series where a Dark Legioss is accidentally drawn larger than it should be. It's kept them busy arguing that a whole new class of jumbo "Alpha fighters" needs to be added to Robotech's continuity.

Even with regards to Final Outpost on its own, there is evidence that the project at least got into the pre-production stage proper, design aesthetics notwithstanding. Can the same can be said about the RT movie? Is there really a script out there, or just an outline/treatment?

Just the story treatment, IIRC... they've never gotten beyond that or indicated that they'd even chosen a treatment out of the ones that they hired writers for.

I've purposely been refraining from posting in this thread for the most part due to that fact that I would be regurgitating the same topics that have been posted already.

But-

Does this guy really think that a cheap shot at a fan made production that's been delayed into almost nothing, as common ground with a professionally made production that's been just as delayed into nothing for years? Whatever helps him sleep at night I suppose.

Also , the reason why I came to the thread, He's actually going to be an official convention guest somewhere? How? Why? Who did he pay off? http://ndkdenver.org.../kevin-mckeever

Actually, Mav and Mckeever are two different people. One's a fanboy and one is a fanboy posing as a professional in... something.

Okay, bad example. Only one of them is being paid to make a fool of himself for a cartoon on a regular basis. Convention panels and podcasts included.

Edited by Einherjar

Actually, Mav and Mckeever are two different people. One's a fanboy and one is a fanboy posing as a professional in... something.

Okay, bad example. Only one of them is being paid to make a fool of himself for a cartoon on a regular basis. Convention panels and podcasts included.

Yeah I know that they're two different people altogether, just wanted to pass along a convention sighting of McKeever, for his "fans" on the site, however many there could be *does he even have any? * And got sidetracked with the posted on Robotech X :) .

Edited by mrhillz

I think he just likes to say stupid crap like that so people will talk about him cause I can't believe that anyone is really as stupid as he portray himself to be.

Attention whores....Only thing equally annoying as forum trolls....I think.....

At that point, I would just throw my Stewie Griffin response...again:

How you, uh... how you coming on that animated work called Shadow Rising? Hmm? Got a big, uh, big stack of film cels there? Got a, got a, got a nice little story you working on there? Your big -big animation you've been working on for four years? *Voice rising in pitch* Hmm? Got a, got a compelling protagonist, eh? Got a, got an obstacle for him to overcome? Huh? Got a story brewing there? Working on... Working on that for quite some time, huh? Yeah, talking about that four years ago. You've been working on that the whole time? Nice little, uh, narrative-- beginning, middle and end? Some friends become enemies some enemies become friends? Eh? At the end your main character is richer for the experience, yeah?

Yeah? Yeah, you've got, uh-- no, no, you should go back to your Compete DVD collection.

But you know... but look at the bright side: he has some new material for that animated feature he's been praying for. You know...the animated work he's talking up? You know the the one, uh, they've been workin on for four years? You know that animated feature. Got somethin' new to hype up now. *Voice rising in pitch* You know? Maybe a, maybe a main character gets into a relationship and suffers a little heartbreak? Somethin' like what... what what most diehard RT fans will go through when HG lets them down? Draw from real life experience? Little, little heartbreak? You know? Work it into the hype? Make the characters a little more two dimensional? Little, uh, richer experience for the RT fan? Make those middle 20 minutes really keep the viewer guessing what's going to happen? Some twists and turns? A little epilogue? Everybody learns that the hero's journey isn't always a happy one?

*Voice returns to normal.* Oh, I look forward to watching it.

Just the story treatment, IIRC... they've never gotten beyond that or indicated that they'd even chosen a treatment out of the ones that they hired writers for.

Well, in that case, Final Outpost accomplished much more in 1995 than the Robbytech LAM project has in the... what, four years and counting? More? I can't even keep track.