How to preserve toys...

drkstar00

Transform them constantly, zoom them around the room making swooshing noises then violently smack them into each other, play with them in your back yard, carry them to school in your backpack and take them with you to the beach.

Or do the exact opposite of what anime52k8 (what the hell is that creepy avatar??? :p ).

Honestly it depends on what you mean by "preserve". The easiest way is leave them in their respective boxes forever, but I guess the answer to your question depends on what type of paces you plan to put your collectibles thru (display vs. play).

-b.

Shakes head in bewilderment at Twinkle Sparkle...

I'm sure there are all types of extremes someone could go thru to try and keep an item looking brand new forever, and again it just depends on what level you're willing to take it to.

Ex. if you are bagging sticker sheets then it means your item is no longer sealed so where you going for a "MISB" type preservation, I played with it but it still looks brand-spanking new, or something else?

I think your best bet is to just treat the toy like an adult collector (whatever that means to you) and it will last as long as it will last.

-b.

Try not to be so anal and just enjoy the toys. If they're boxed up somewhere what is the point? Seriously though, send them to me. I will gladly hold onto them for you indefinitely for free. I promise to take excellent care of them.

I'm going to spend over $100 for a toy and not play with it? Are you kidding me? When not in the display cabinet I transform and fly that sucker around the room. Always washing my hands before I touch them. Also using canned air if a little dust happens to get in the cabinet. Boxes go in the closet. Saving up for another display shelf wit glass door but thats a little pricey.

Try not to be so anal and just enjoy the toys. If they're boxed up somewhere what is the point? Seriously though, send them to me. I will gladly hold onto them for you indefinitely for free. I promise to take excellent care of them.

EXACTIMUNDO.

all these beautiful pieces of fantasy engineering are meant to be experienced and enjoyed.

life is short, of course, a carnival ride we only get to go on once...

I'm going to spend over $100 for a toy and not play with it? Are you kidding me? When not in the display cabinet I transform and fly that sucker around the room. Always washing my hands before I touch them. Boxes go in the closet.

big ditto here, man...

Edited by Shaorin

Even keeping them in their boxes doesn't always work. I've had a Bandai V Gundum toy and a Bandai v.1 1/60 VF-25F Alto go yellow in the box, despite never having taken them out of the box before.

Best bet, seal them in amber..........LOL!

Graham

OK, that's going to make me paranoid about my V2 Alto turning yellow. :mellow:

-Kyp

But yeah, in over 20 years of toy collecting, I've gradually realized 4 important things:

1) Toys are for playing with and enjoying, don't be so anal about keeping them in mint condition.

2) Expect the inevitability of a few dings, scratches, scrapes, breakages and yellowing.

3) If you want to delay yellowing (you can't avoid it, a bit like death & taxes), keep your toys out of direct sunlight and in a temperature and humidity controlled environment, if you live in a hot and humid country like I do.

4) Yamato toys break more easily than Bandai toys, but Bandai toys yellow far more quickly :p

Graham

Don't we just...ahem...upgrade to the younger, hotter looking version? You know the one that's not so chunky and doesn't have any sagging parts? The one that's tighter all around and is willing (and able) to pull off all sorts of exotic poses and positions?

Don't we just...ahem...upgrade to the younger, hotter looking version? You know the one that's not so chunky and doesn't have any sagging parts? The one that's tighter all around and is willing (and able) to pull off all sorts of exotic poses and positions?

Yeah, but sometimes they can't cook as well...

wait...

Don't we just...ahem...upgrade to the younger, hotter looking version? You know the one that's not so chunky and doesn't have any sagging parts? The one that's tighter all around and is willing (and able) to pull off all sorts of exotic poses and posiions?

Yep, I love the tighter, non-saggy ones that can pull off erotic, err...............exotic posses :p

Graham

Well, humour aside, the 29 year old Takatoku I got o line is in near factory condition, with absolutely no yellowing whatsoever. I'd love to hear any tips from the guy as to how he pulled this off.

Pour moi, I have the Bandais and Yamatos that I play with, and the Takatoku that I like to have sealed away for a glance every few days or so.

Still, if there's a way to make 'em last, why not try it?

Or better yet, just place said toys in a sealed vacuum. With no physical matter outside of the toy itself, the only thing that can hurt the toy is itself (which seems to happen a lot actually... <_< ). Although light can still go through, though photons without much matter to manipulate won't be of too much harm lol.

Still, if there's a way to make 'em last, why not try it?

No harm in trying. I just think in a few years, there will be newer, better versions of the same toys that I'll fall in love with as well. It seams sealed in boxes / bins in a dark, environmentally nutral place is your best bet.

The playability factor is probably why my favorite toys right now are my 1/55 Bandai Chunky Monkeys. I do keep them in a cool dry dark room though when I am not playing with them. I keep all my toys displayed on shelves in my walk in closet so that no sunlight gets in. When I want to show them off to friends I turn on the lights and open the door. Otherwise it stays dark in there. So far no yellowing on anything. The boxes I keep in as minty as possible condition within larger boxes in a dry storage unit. Works for me.

I keep my collection in a well sealed cabinet with NO lighting, what I mean by well sealed is the door actually slides left to right and has a soft rubber lip on both sides which really keeps dust out.

I also added a UV protection film to the out side of the case which you can't really notice.

Empty boxes are stored in the ceiling of my house, within a seperate card board box for added protection. (I dont leave the figures in the roof as it gets to damn hot up there!!).

Its a pain going into the roof everytime I want to swap out a VALK but it works well and keeps the wife happy as we don't have our closets full of Yamato boxes.

Heats a killer. It yellowed my in box Jetfire over the year I didn't really look at it. I was in a closet in a room where there was a hot lamp for a lizard on a lot of the time. Not even like it was that hot in there. And don't ask me why it was in there. None of my other crap was. Im beginning to think there may be some reaction to styrofoam. Could take a tip from WW2 collectors and wrap things in acid free paper. Maybe even throw a couple of those desiccant things in the box. All in all though Ive had my ver 1 1/60 and my 1/48's out for years in a case with no signs of yellowing. And they do get indirect sunlight.