What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

Oh hi Vepariga, never though I'd see you post he-

This, even on other forums Ive seen him on he is overly critical of everything except Aquarion and Ultraman.

Now that's not true either! I am not overtly critical on movies I watch in theaters or (most of) the tokusatsu I watch!

Is...is that an actual VHS? or just a case that looks like a VHS tape?

nope, that's clearly a stylized videodisc case. shape is way off in respect to an actual VHS cassette;

MAXELLHGXGOLDx175-2-111.jpg

CBBD_zpsa928f5b2.jpeg

- i guess someone felt it added to the Retro-Style that i guess COWBOY BEBOP tends to exude, or something of that sort...

(( sorry, haven't seen BEBOP, and know next to nothing about it, so i cannot be expected to understand what they are precisely getting at, besides a general sense of retro-nostalgia, at the very least... :) ))

Edited by Shaorin

I'm about to start watching Cowboy Bebop for the first time. After hearing all these rave reviews, I hope I'm in for a treat!

For you guys with Hulu Plus (or just Hulu in general I guess), is there any REALLY good anime that I need to see? I'm craving good shows to get involved with right now.

A lot of people suggested Monster, but man, it's depressing me out too much. Any fun/action anime that needs to be seen?

Edited by Archer

Macross 2 was recently added. Other good titles include The Devil is a Part Timer, Godannar, Death Note, Pretear, Eureka Seven: Astral Ocean, Star Driver, Viper's Creed, the FMP series, X, and the greatest mecha series of all time: Aquarion. There is plenty of stuff on there I like/dislike/don't care for, but I have no idea on your tastes so there is some entry level stuff. Plus I am morbidly depressed so yeah.

Is...is that an actual VHS? or just a case that looks like a VHS tape?

Thats so awesome regardless lol

I've been rewatching Bebop and Dragonball with some mates, good times. Such a great show.

It's the actual case for the BD's. I love the touch. Bebop is all about nostalgia and VHS is pretty nostalgic IMHO.

I would totally import that, if it wasn't for the art ruining euro-rating.

Come on Keith, it's just a tiny little red "12"! LOL.

Madman in Australia will be releasing theirs soon (but in my experience they put even more logos and ratings stuff on covers than over here). In any case I'm pretty sure that a North American release cannot be too far off. Someone probably just hasn't offered Bandai enough money.

Neat find Shaorin, even though I've never seen Cowboy Bebop outside of a random episode on AS and part of the episode with the fridge blob.

Normally I'd be telling you to hurry up and watch it as soon as possible since it's a great series and a true classic, but I have the sneaking suspicion based on the viewing preferences you have expressed so far in this forum, that you would not like it.

Normally I'd be telling you to hurry up and watch it as soon as possible since it's a great series and a true classic, but I have the sneaking suspicion based on the viewing preferences you have expressed so far in this forum, that you would not like it.

What makes you say that? You have a minimal score of what qualifies as "like"? Does this include the movie? Want to have a bet on whether or not I will like it?

Anyway, got up to ep 12 in Attack on Titan. I will bite, episode 11 was pretty good and the action has (somewhat improved), plus Armin is not so useless now. Maybe it'll end up being good, just not "the modern classic" much like how every episode of Unicorn except 4 is looked at as. I also intend to marathon the rest of Inukami tomorrow since I watched ep 13 this morning and I do not want distractions while Shark Week is on.

Edited by DuelGundam2099

sorry, haven't seen BEBOP, and know next to nothing about it, so i cannot be expected to understand what they are precisely getting at, besides a general sense of retro-nostalgia, at the very least...

Its part retro nostalgia, and part a tribute to an episode whre a vhs tape is a key clue to a case, and they need to find the right equipment to play it.

Its part retro nostalgia, and part a tribute to an episode whre a vhs tape is a key clue to a case, and they need to find the right equipment to play it.

You're partly right. The tape in question in the series (episode is called Speak like a Child) however is a Betamax!

What makes you say that? You have a minimal score of what qualifies as "like"? Does this include the movie? Want to have a bet on whether or not I will like it?

As Major Focker wrote above, you tend to express negative views on most of the stuff that a lot of people here like. I don't do bets, specially the online variety, but I do think that if you're curious about Bebop, you should give it a try.

I just finished Inukami! and to be honest.... This was surprisingly very well done. :blink: After episode 10, not unlike Gun X Sword it actually makes effort at being funny, gets less fan servicy, characters get decent development (a few inukami don't for whatever reason), some back story was set up, and Jasei has to be one of the best anime villains ever and I am not just saying that because he has the same voice actor as the Getter Robo Armageddon version of Professor Saotome. The final battle was also very well done. Youko being so angry to the end still makes her very annoying, but she isn't top 5 worst anime characters ever material (more like near the bottom of top 50); Tomohane and the otaku Naoki are also annoying although to lesser degrees. I feel bad for Shirou always being a butt-monkey, you'd think someone voiced by Sho Hayami would be better, but he was a cool character in his own right and I'll give the character credit for trying. To top it off the opening theme has grown on me a tad, not by much, but enough. I have to admit I did not think I'd enjoy this series, but I proved myself wrong.

As Major Focker wrote above, you tend to express negative views on most of the stuff that a lot of people here like. I don't do bets, specially the online variety, but I do think that if you're curious about Bebop, you should give it a try.

Bebop has been in my backlog for a while so I am going to watch it eventually. Currently debating as to what to watch next.

I was really impressed when I randomly looked at some clips of the Berserk movies on youtube. I'll try to watch them when I get the chance. Does anyone know if Kentaro Miura returned from his hiatus to work on the manga again? Also, did the animation studio really exaggerate how Griffith looked like in the manga?

Got anything worth betting on?

Knowing you for the last couple of months? You'll probably hate a lot of stuff.

Edited by Einherjar

I forgot to mention that yesterday I watched the Ninja Gaiden OVA, you'd think there would be plenty of ninja action but nope, feels more like a cop story with mutants. Not bad though.

Knowing you for the last couple of months? You'll probably hate a lot of stuff

Possible, but until I dive in we won't know for certain. B))

I was really impressed when I randomly looked at some clips of the Berserk movies on youtube. I'll try to watch them when I get the chance. Does anyone know if Kentaro Miura returned from his hiatus to work on the manga again? Also, did the animation studio really exaggerate how Griffith looked like in the manga?

Yup, Berserk is still on hiatus. Miura must be either burnt out or planning where to go next with the story. However the story in the manga is so far ahead of the point in which the films are set (the Berserk Golden Arc; same as the tv series) that it shouldn't really affect what they're doing next. As far as I know, the plan is to carry on after the 3rd movie with either more films or OVA.

The way they depicted Griffith is more in line with the way he looks in the

manga after he is reborn in the world as a member of the Godhand.

I just started watching Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya...

:blink:

It's a fun genre twist, although a bit jaring at first. I really enjoyed Fate/Zero and I thought Fate/Stay Night was okay. Playing Yahtzee with all the characters and coming up with a magical girl theme was really something. However, apart from the names, there doesn't appear to be much in common with the other Fate properties. Illya is given a new characteri type, for example.

I thought the first episode had a definite Puella Magi Madoka Magica feel. And by that I mean that the initial set up is questionable for the protagonist. I guess I'm hooked, if only to see this alternate reality all the way to the end.

:::sobs:::

Did that weeks ago! Btw, has anyone else been watching Stella Women's Academy? It's pretty fun so far.

Saw the first three episodes. I'm loving it, Nice music score and Miyuki Sawashiro voicing another tomboy ^_^ .

I'm caught up on Attack on Titan. I like it a lot. I wouldn't say I love it, but it's very good, and worth the watch. Just got done with season 2 of Hakuoki, which is supposed to be a historically accurate tale, mixed with fantasy of the Shinsengumi. If anyone knows the history of the Shinsengumi, then you kinda know what happens in general. Waiting to watch season 3 of that. My wife and I have put off watching Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood till we had a chance to watch all of it, and now that we do, we are going through that pretty quick. I gotta admit, I like this version better than the first incarnation of the story. Up next for myself, I'll be diving into Girls und Panzer. I have no idea what it's about, but I've heard mixed things on it, so I'm gonna give it a try.

Yup, Berserk is still on hiatus. Miura must be either burnt out or planning where to go next with the story. However the story in the manga is so far ahead of the point in which the films are set (the Berserk Golden Arc; same as the tv series) that it shouldn't really affect what they're doing next. As far as I know, the plan is to carry on after the 3rd movie with either more films or OVA.

The way they depicted Griffith is more in line with the way he looks in the

manga after he is reborn in the world as a member of the Godhand.

Man, throughout the first movie, everytime Griffith came on I kept thinking to myself there is no way that he could be a dude. I think it would be so easy to dub him as a woman and no one would notice. Otherwise, it was a great movie. Hopefully, the films have the same effect as the Game of Thrones series potentially has on George R. R. Martin in motivating Miura to complete the manga. Edited by Einherjar

And as expected Cowboy Bebop is getting it's North American BD release soon courtesy of Funimation. They also picked up a ton of former Bandai licenses like Escaflowne, Outlaw Star, Code Geass and a personal favourite, the Crest/Banner of the Stars series.

Come on Funi, give us Turn a Gundam next!

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-08-10/funimation-adds-cowboy-bebop-escaflowne-outlaw-star-more

So yeah I caught up to Attack on Titan all the way to ep 18.... Alright, I admit, I was being a little harsh on this and it has improved. The characters are still kind of boring though.

Since Wednesday I've been watching Zegapain up to episode 16 and I have to admit this is very friggin' good. I like the mechs, action, setting, philosophical aspects, very little fan service, and character development is good, but it has problems. Aside from not caring about the music, the characters are not that interesting, the pacing is kind of slow, despite the fan service being mild it is still annoying, and for pretty much no reason Zegapain Caladrius is just destroyed in the first few episodes (Hraesvelgr at least got destroyed by Anti-Zegapain Coaticue AFTER it made it to the half way point!). Seriously, even the new pachislot game kind of just forgot about it, which is a shame because it was kind of cool (not like the other three Zegapains but still).