What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

Is it possible to enjoy a series a lot, without understanding much of the story at all? The reason I ask is that I finished the second season of Horizon In The Middle Of Nowhere. Outside of the main plot of the perverted dude tryng to help his formerly deceased girl regain her emotions which are trapped in weapons spread accross the world I have no idea what's going on or how the world thy live in work. On the bright side the cast is large and colorful so that draws me back.

Is it possible to enjoy a series a lot, without understanding much of the story at all?...

Generally my experience with David Lynch movies. I enjoy the hell out of them but please don't ask me to explain afterwards what the story really was about. So yes, I think it is possible.

Generally my experience with David Lynch movies. I enjoy the hell out of them but please don't ask me to explain afterwards what the story really was about. So yes, I think it is possible.

not to say they're related in any way, but i get the same from Wong Kar Wai movies and Haruki Murakami novels.

not to say they're related in any way, but i get the same from Wong Kar Wai movies and Haruki Murakami novels.

Yup. 'Kafka on the Shore' and the 'Wind up Bird Chronicle' are both in that 'enjoyable yet I'm not sure what's happening category'

for me it was South of the Border, West of the Sun. the ending lingered with me for a while and i had to feel rather than think through it to sort out what i had just read.

anyway, back on topic. just finished Hyouka and it's a rather sophisticated anime with heart-achingly beautiful visuals. having said that, i wouldn't be surprised if some find it boring.

also watched Dusk Maiden of Amnesia for a dose of light entertainment, though it did get more involving towards the end which really connected with me and caught me by surprise. then again that may be more due to my personal circumstances.

i'm trying to stay away from Monogatari for now as the weekly wait is driving me up the wall. i'll probably wait for each 4-5 episode arc to finish before watching.

was a bit disappointed with how Oreimo ended.

'A Wild Sheep Chase' left me quite puzzled, Murakami has a wonderful way of keeping the reader off balance.

Working my way trough 'Space Brothers', nice series about adult astronauts in a professional setting for a change. Quite a lot of episodes.

Shingeki no Kyojin moving in an interesting direction, shame the plot pace has dropped to almost Dragon Ball levels.

Shingeki no Kyojin moving in an interesting direction, shame the plot pace has dropped to almost Dragon Ball levels.

The pacing is a result of the manga being ongoing and the success of the series. They're surely be a second season (or OVA's) and if they develop things too quickly, they'll run out of material. Unless they go with original anime storyline of course.

I just finished Gundam Age: Memory of Eden and it was.... Pretty much what I expected. I will give them credit for giving Romary and Zeheart some more depth and somewhat improved action scenes. This could have benefited Age, but oh well. At least Bandai tried SOMETHING to improve it.

The pacing is a result of the manga being ongoing and the success of the series. They're surely be a second season (or OVA's) and if they develop things too quickly, they'll run out of material. Unless they go with original anime storyline of course.

I hadn't realized the series had progressed so far through the existing manga content, makes sense to slow down.

'A Wild Sheep Chase' left me quite puzzled, Murakami has a wonderful way of keeping the reader off balance.

Working my way trough 'Space Brothers', nice series about adult astronauts in a professional setting for a change. Quite a lot of episodes.

I agree to some extent, though something HAPPENS every episode. Its not as bad as DBZ or the super long shows.

The holiday season looks busy this year for Ghibli/Miyazaki fans. This news is pretty exciting:

Pom Poko

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=VWBS-1445

The Cat Returns

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=VWBS-1491

Princess Mononoke

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=VWBS-1490

I plan to preorder Mononoke Hime straight away. The others I may add to my wish list so that I can pick up Macross F on blu too.

Edited by technoblue

I agree to some extent, though something HAPPENS every episode. Its not as bad as DBZ or the super long shows.

I remember once watching an episode of DBZ as a teen that started with someone throwing a punch and between the dialogue/flashbacks and the opponent realizing that the punch had hit him, more than 18 minutes had elapsed. Those were the days.

I just watched the first episode of Devil Hunter Yohko or as I like to call it typical girly junk as magic girl junk filled with sex junk aka every other magical girl anime ever. Just when you think you understand anime fans they change the rules with their WTF-ness. I say this because apparently this was the first magical girl anime to get a US release; I WOULD have watched this dubbed but NOOOOOOO the only dub vids I could fine just went "Oh we're gonna be out of sync because we can HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!" GAH! It is like when Ryujin calls me retarded despite the fact I am not (what I wouldn't give to prove that skunk otherwise). So I had to watch it subbed and it was almost as irritating as I imagined. Too little action, they needed to cut a ton of fan service out and make the main character less of a titanic ditz; I am also ignoring the fact her grandmother sometimes sounds like a 30 year old man. Probably my biggest issue was how cheap it looked, was this made on a budget? I could see a TV series at the time looking like this, but for an OVA it is lackluster and I only expect it to remain the same from here- Oh wait, ep 4 is gonna be one of those awful music video specials. *shrivels* Holy frick how did US folks that watched this back in the day not have a high aversion to magical girls after this? My only guess is that later episodes are at least better than this junk. One thing I will give this is that the pacing is somewhat good and the ending theme is kind of okay.

Edited by DuelGundam2099

Undoubtably, no one is talking about this week's episode of Kabukimonogatari because you are awestruck yet again over how such a seamngly simple event of small significance, has again ballooned into gigantic earth shattering proportions.

- I love this show.

- It's the best thing on tv.

- I weap inside because far too few of our species will ever see it.

- I still can't track down a copy of Ai wo Utae, frakk it, I might as well just import the CD. Why haven't the Japanese fully embraced amazon's mp3 shop for my convenience? Don't they know!?

Why do I get the impression that this arc will end in Araragi having to brawl with some version of Heart-Underblade?

I can't wait to see how the events of this arc tie in with the clue's laid out in the last.

Edited by Keith

So, Miyazaki retired O_O! Kinda upset by this, as I was looking forward to more awesome stuff from him, but I can totally understand, given his age.

End of an era really....I saw Spirited Away when I was only around the age of 8, and it captivated and awed me like nothing else.

So, Miyazaki retired O_O! Kinda upset by this, as I was looking forward to more awesome stuff from him, but I can totally understand, given his age.

End of an era really....I saw Spirited Away when I was only around the age of 8, and it captivated and awed me like nothing else.

I have high hopes for Kaze Tachinu where Miyazaki revisits his love for flying. Well deserved retirement, but shame to see Ghibli without him and I hope they can somehow deal with losing his amazing talent as a director.

Edited by Bri

I have high hopes for Kaze Tachinu where Miyazaki revisits his love for flying. Well deserved retirement, but shame to see Ghibli without him and I hope they can somehow deal with losing his amazing talent as a director.

As do I. Even for those films that Miyzaki did not direct, it seems that he always helped with the script. I guess the news that Spirited Away will be released in Japan early next year is true. And that means Miyazaki has finished everything that he needed to do. I hope his retirement finds him well, surrounded by his family and friends.

Edited by technoblue