What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

This season, I'm watching WataMote for my slice-of-life fix. I think making the female lead anti-social, but not letting her realize that she's anti-social is an amusing twist for this show. The first two episodes have been fun and I'm looking forward to more.

Caught the first couple of episodes of Watamote too. It's a very funny show, but sometimes it's almost a bit uncomfortable to watch. The MC is so shy and socially inept that it just takes me back to being a very insecure teenager.

Just finished Nekomonogatari Kuro. OMFG this series is so damned good, it's not even funny.

It is. And being a prequel it really drives home some points in Bakemonogatari

Hanekawa and Araragi really had a strong attraction to each other and might probably have ended up as a couple. But as we saw in Bakemono, Senjougahara walked into his life and claimed him before the shy and awkward Hanekawa could say anything to him. It was of course touched upon in the last arc of Bakemonogatari, but seeing this prequel really let's one see the level of relationship Hanekawa and Araragi had previously. And it makes the dynamic (Hanekawa/Senjougahara) we're now seeing in Shiro all the more interesting.

Keith, i'm surprised you've only just seen Kuro, but yeah it's insanely good.

i've read that some folks are recommending to newcomers that they watch in chronological order, ie. Kuro, then Bake, then Nise.

but personally i think watching in release order is better as it allows one the pleasure of piecing things together. plus, the ending of Kuro which segues directly to the opening moments of Bake made me watch Bake all over again :p

Caught the first couple of episodes of Watamote too. It's a very funny show, but sometimes it's almost a bit uncomfortable to watch. The MC is so shy and socially inept that it just takes me back to being a very insecure teenager.

Indeed. Even though I was more of an awkward quiet teenager, I can still identify with the plight of the MC too.

There is one particular scene:

When Tomoko Kuroki breaks out of her shell to encourage her friend who seems to be having a tough time adjusting to high school, but actually just had an argument with her first boyfriend. This conversation keeps Kuroki from getting to show the portrait, which happens to be the only face that guy can draw. Sad, but I laughed at the irony because I've experienced similar things.

Keith, i'm surprised you've only just seen Kuro, but yeah it's insanely good.

i've read that some folks are recommending to newcomers that they watch in chronological order, ie. Kuro, then Bake, then Nise.

but personally i think watching in release order is better as it allows one the pleasure of piecing things together. plus, the ending of Kuro which segues directly to the opening moments of Bake made me watch Bake all over again :p

It just finished streaming on Daisuki, didn't have a means of watching before. Release order does seem best for now, but that may change after Kizu is out.

Nekomonogatari Shiro ep 4:

I'm admittedly all about Senjyogahara first and foremost, but I'm really loving Hanakawa in this arc, she's really coming into her own as a character more than before. And now I REALLY need to see Kizu once it's made to understand what that whole exchange with Episode was about.

Nice! I picked up the OVAs but am on the fence about replacing my tv series DVDs. Let us know what the picture quality is like!

OK. Started on it and the video seems much cleaner and nicer. I think it's even a bit cleaner than my Nadesico-BD, but I haven't watch that since it first came out.

The ED video seems like it wasn't cleaned up like the rest, tho.

The one thing, tho, the audio is menu-forced like Macross Plus OVA.

I don't know the quality of your version, but if you can post a png-snapshot of any scene from EPs 1-12, I'll try to match it with a BD-snapshot of the same scene.

Perhaps I should see this Attack on Titan everyone talks about so much.

Anyway, up to episode 7 in Inukami! and oh boy do I have titanic complaints:

-Youko is a colossal dick. Seriously, I have seen very mean spirited anime characters before, but this is just awful (and not just because she took Tomohane's underpants although that was cruel and.... kind of weird, why would dog gods give a darn about their clothing enough to make them cry over it- okay I am looking into that too deeply). I would not be surprised if she dethrones Shanlara from Goldran as my least favorite anime character ever and to be worse than THAT is saying a lot.

-Secret agent guy (I forget his name) only showed up twice in seven episodes so he is sadly a background character. What a shame, he has potential.

-No monster fights! Okay, they fight ONE ACIDIC BLOB and that is it, the rest are just ghosts that are possession happy and a weasel that sticks stuff together with it's eyes.... Magic for anyone wondering. They promised this in the first episode! It is This Ugly Yet Beautiful World all over again, but not as obnoxious.

-Not that funny, self explanatory.

-The loli character, Tomohane, mostly because I dislike lolis period. The sad part is that they actually tried to make her decent in episode 6, but next episode she turns into a school-girl-wannabe gawking and aroused by Keita and his man-meat (I should be saying elephant but eh). *shrivels* Oh yeah, she'll make the least favorite list, just not as far up as Youko. I kind of expected something like this since this was done by the same people that did Triangle Heart and Nanoha; kind of weird that their furry fan service does not bug me this time although it is limited to just tails this time so eh.

I should not be enjoying this, but it is nowhere near offensively bad as some other anime I have seen. Just 19 more eps and a movie to go (so not looking forward, but as an exile of MAHQ I have nothing else to do).

Edited by DuelGundam2099

It just finished streaming on Daisuki, didn't have a means of watching before. Release order does seem best for now, but that may change after Kizu is out.

Seems that the wait might soon be over. Of course that has been said before when it comes to Kizumonogatari.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2013/07/30/kizumonogatari-anime-movie-listed-for-fall-release

I actually believe this announcekent, a Shaft would be foolish "not" to make it happen. In other news, I just finished watching "Another." Surprisingly low key for a horror series, and I like the way the mystery itself was handled.

I started watching Attack of Titan with the first four episodes.... So why do people like this trash again? The only things it has going for it so far are the titans themselves and the scenery, everything else comes off as forced (the comedy and attempts to be emotional), unnecessary (did we really need boot camp and refugee scenes?), or ugly (namely music and the character designs).

Edited by DuelGundam2099

Nekomonogatari Shiro episode 5 was awesome. From the

beautiful around the world sequence with the spanish guitar music in the background, to the battle between Tiger and Neko and finally Araragi's appearance in the nick of time to slay the Tiger and save Hanekawa. And to top it off, Hanekawa finally confesses to Araragi only to be rejected, with the latter confirming how much he loves Senjougahara. Just absolutely great allround. Hanekawa became one of my absolutely favourite Monogatari characters after this arc. My only fear is that after this arc she'll now appear seldomly since it'll concentrate in some of the other girls.

Nekomonogatari Shiro episode 5 was awesome. From the

beautiful around the world sequence with the spanish guitar music in the background, to the battle between Tiger and Neko and finally Araragi's appearance in the nick of time to slay the Tiger and save Hanekawa. And to top it off, Hanekawa finally confesses to Araragi only to be rejected, with the latter confirming how much he loves Senjougahara. Just absolutely great allround. Hanekawa became one of my absolutely favourite Monogatari characters after this arc. My only fear is that after this arc she'll now appear seldomly since it'll concentrate in some of the other girls.

I just got finished watching it, and I'm still tearing up. I agree for the most part, but

as sympathetic and lovable Hanakawa has become, Senjyogahara's eps were just as moving, with the added importance of her opening up to Araragi sooner. I fully support his choice, but damn, dat Hanakawa!

Edited by Keith

I started watching Attack of Titan with the first four episodes.... So why do people like this trash again? The only things it has going for it so far are the titans themselves and the scenery, everything else comes off as forced (the comedy and attempts to be emotional), unnecessary (did we really need boot camp and refugee scenes?), or ugly (namely music and the character designs).

Get to episode 7, you'll understand

great conclusion to the Tsubasa Tiger arc. how many arcs/books are supposed to be in Monogatari S2? man, i just don't want it to ever end.

btw, my Attack on Titan OST arrived a few days ago and it's been giving me goosebumps since.

three tracks in particular were exceptional:

#3 eye water

#5 counter attack mankind

#10 EMA

while i was watching a taiko performance this afternoon, i kept imagining scenes from Titan ^_^

quite a number of anime scores incorporate classical instruments, but mostly strings, and rarely horns. so i guess that makes it a bit of a signature for Titan.

Edited by Major Focker

I just got finished watching it, and I'm still tearing up. I agree for the most part, but

as sympathetic and lovable Hanakawa has become, Senjyogahara's eps were just as moving, with the added importance of her opening up to Araragi sooner. I fully support his choice, but damn, dat Hanakawa!

nekomonogatari-shiro-5-omake-4_zps677efe

Gahara is definitely still no.1 in my book too.

Ha ha, I see what you did there.

What's not to like? Loads of action, a bombastic OST, teenage angst, death galore and people eating giants as villains. Plus its slightly different than most of the fare common nowadays (no cosplay, no maids or butlers, no insanely powerful student council, no beach or hot spring episodes, etc, etc). Yeah, it's not the anime masterpiece some people on MAL make it out to be, but it's one hell of an entertaining show IMHO. And it's gotten better after the midway mark too. Give it a couple of more episodes.

I made it to episode 8. Minor improvements but that is not saying a lot. Apparently titans can be controlled if you enter the back of the neck.... after getting eaten.... I also did not mention this before but the editing is just off to the point where exposition could have been used. "Uh oh a cutesy titan is looking at me and I'm out of gas lol I'm away from it in the next scene somehow!" And for the first seven eps how come only Misaki can kill any of them? Everyone else just gets caught and munched.

no cosplay, no maids or butlers, no insanely powerful student council, no beach or hot spring episodes

Or fanservice or boob bouncing or anything sexual which is a plus. Come to think of it I don't think I've seen much anime with butlers or maids or a super student council.

Get to episode 7, you'll understand

I did and there is a possessed titan that kills others.... What am I supposed to understand?

On an unrelated note I got up to episode 12 in Inukami which actually is improving with actual monster battles and the comedy is actually trying (not that it has much success though, but at least it tries), but Tomohane proves to be stupid now since she can't figure out "hmm this chocolate was on the ground and munched on by dogs SO I AM GIVING IT TO KEITA TO EAT IT"- This is first grade reasoning being skipped over! The holographic card was understandable since it is not, you know, edible, and can be cleaned. And then Keita.... Actually having the loli in one of his fantasies, just.... *shrivels* So wrong. Then again he says he does not like girls that are too young in the next episode so it kind of balances sorta I don't know. What I do know: The series improved. Not character wise, but story wise.

Edited by DuelGundam2099

:::sobs:::

Bear in mind that DuelGundam2099 doesn't like anything if other people like it. Just ignore him.

Did that weeks ago! Btw, has anyone else been watching Stella Women's Academy? It's pretty fun so far.

Edited by Keith

:::sobs:::

Did that weeks ago! Btw, has anyone else been watching Stella Women's Academy? It's pretty fun so far.

I've watched 3 episodes worth of Stella Women's Academy. It's not terrible, but so far it's not all that engaging (IMO). I'll continue watching to see where this series goes.