Jump to content

Countdown until the Shogakukun Macross Package Art Collection Book is released! 
image.png.ceb942b112c95453f3925263e118f68b.png

The countdown has finished!

Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV


Urashiman
 Share

Recommended Posts

I'm sorry about the clogged can! Even more sorry about your hands! I empathize with you. Sometimes its good to just rest up. I hope you feel better REALLY soon! - MT

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Much appreciated. BTW: found out today that the hobby shop i get my models and supplies from went out of business (been a bit of time since my last visit).

I need to find a nice solid brick wall to bang my head on now...

 

headbang-banging-head-against-wall.gif.1b4b29703079b063e081e33303ce373b.gif

Edited by pengbuzz
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

Much appreciated. BTW: found out today that the hobby shop i get my models and supplies from went out of business (been a bit of time since my last visit).

I need to find a nice solid brick wall to bang my head on now...

 

headbang-banging-head-against-wall.gif.1b4b29703079b063e081e33303ce373b.gif

Damn sorry to hear that! My 'local' hobby shop is the internet... :(

Hey, when you're able to get back to the modelling table, let me know. Same address?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Thom said:

Damn sorry to hear that! My 'local' hobby shop is the internet... :(

Hey, when you're able to get back to the modelling table, let me know. Same address?

 

Yeah, same address.

On that note: I went to an urgent care to have them take a look at my hands/ wrists (still sore). They took a look and did a couple of x-rays to make sure I didn't break anything; thankfully, it's nothing serious other than some strained muscles/ tendons from what they could tell.

(just getting old I guess)

So they did a Cortisone injection to knock down the inflamation and put me on Naproxen and told me I was doing everything else right; it just takes a little longer at my age to heal up. I should be better in another week or so, just need to follow up with my Doctor.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

Yeah, same address.

On that note: I went to an urgent care to have them take a look at my hands/ wrists (still sore). They took a look and did a couple of x-rays to make sure I didn't break anything; thankfully, it's nothing serious other than some strained muscles/ tendons from what they could tell.

(just getting old I guess)

So they did a Cortisone injection to knock down the inflamation and put me on Naproxen and told me I was doing everything else right; it just takes a little longer at my age to heal up. I should be better in another week or so, just need to follow up with my Doctor.

That’s promising news. Take it easy and good luck. Maybe play a lotto ticket or two and luck may actually go your way in a big way

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Big s said:

That’s promising news. Take it easy and good luck. Maybe play a lotto ticket or two and luck may actually go your way in a big way

With my luck, I'd owe money! But thanks; I'll definitely be trying to chill.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A little spacer added to the top of the neck fixed an alignment problem. Adding a spru to the saucer to help 'thicken' it a bit upset the alignment and left the nacelle tilted slightly butt-up. I'll just plate over any gap. I also added some length to the neck to give it a longer profile. 

The blue spot on the side is the new airlock door. I used a drill with the same size as the original from the torpedo housing and I actually found a similar diameter length of spru from the F-spru from the 1/1000 Yamato kit. It is just slightly recessed.

pMfAEik.jpeg

Edited by Thom
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looking good @Thom!  Over here in the shipyard today....The bow...is ON!  Milestone!  Also another mock up pic of the top deck. Halfway done with the coloring in of the deck. I am happy to report all the little "houses" for the top of the deck are pretty much complete!  (Long road!) 

20220807_103635.jpg

20220806_174807.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

Looking good @Thom!  Over here in the shipyard today....The bow...is ON!  Milestone!  Also another mock up pic of the top deck. Halfway done with the coloring in of the deck. I am happy to report all the little "houses" for the top of the deck are pretty much complete!  (Long road!) 

20220807_103635.jpg

20220806_174807.jpg

Really beginning to shape up. Derex! 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@pengbuzz I'm glad to hear you're healing up! It's frustrating when your hands are out of commission! That also sucks about your local hobby shop too! We had one here once until he closed too!

@Thom Your mods are looking really good and clean.

@derex3592 You'll be busting a scale bottle of champagne on that hull soon! She's looking good! - MT

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/11/2022 at 7:19 AM, MechTech said:

@pengbuzz I'm glad to hear you're healing up! It's frustrating when your hands are out of commission! That also sucks about your local hobby shop too! We had one here once until he closed too!

Thanks MT; yeah, it gets frustrating on both levels. But at least my hands are recovering and should be good to go in a couple of more days (I'm giving it a few more days just to be safe)!

 

On 8/7/2022 at 11:02 AM, Thom said:

A little spacer added to the top of the neck fixed an alignment problem. Adding a spru to the saucer to help 'thicken' it a bit upset the alignment and left the nacelle tilted slightly butt-up. I'll just plate over any gap. I also added some length to the neck to give it a longer profile. 

The blue spot on the side is the new airlock door. I used a drill with the same size as the original from the torpedo housing and I actually found a similar diameter length of spru from the F-spru from the 1/1000 Yamato kit. It is just slightly recessed.

pMfAEik.jpeg

Thom, are you going to be putting a photorp launcher anywhere on the model? Also: nice job on the reinforcement post in the saucer!! I did something similar in my 1/650 TOS E!!   

Edited by pengbuzz
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/11/2022 at 12:03 PM, pengbuzz said:

...

Thom, are you going to be putting a photorp launcher anywhere on the model? Also: nice job on the reinforcement post in the saucer!! I did something similar in my 1/650 TOS E!!   

Did do. 😉

5OLqJEP.jpg

If I had thought about it first, I probably would have countersunk it into the rim, but this was an afterthought after cutting it off from the neck piece.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Thom said:

Did do. 😉

5OLqJEP.jpg

If I had thought about it first, I probably would have countersunk it into the rim, but this was an afterthought after cutting it off from the neck piece.

Look at it this way: whatever the ship's sensors are pointing at, the photorp launcher doesn't have to compensate for while targeting, and has the added benefit of the entire saucer frame to absorb any recoil!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

After a little summer break, back to fiddling with some ideas.

I don't have a project in mind for these figures, but the idea is I can pose them as needed. 

I still need a cool project though... any ideas?

1462067643_Screenshot2022-08-1521_44_34.png.c4acc02757ffdad9405d94707aef0645.png47365891_Screenshot2022-08-1521_44_48.png.e62948643162931743eea2688b582bd4.png

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Finished the preliminary build of the Academy, Gatchaman God Phoenix. Just need to putty a few small gaps, paint and decal.

20220815_191557.jpg.3e2feaff875d5a2d34331429f3253469.jpg

Close-up of the little guys20220815_194256.jpg.3a53c70dbac723cd4553f95bf9f40323.jpg

Had to use clear orange for Jinpei's tank 'cus I didn't have any other orange.

Edited by Chas
added images
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1615410852_Screenshot2022-08-1614_07_30.png.6c347345f6a9a9ff29f57c750dd342b3.png

This is a comparison for body proportions.  The DYRL suit is directly from UTA Macross as the reference.  The Bridge Uniform is my work, bashed from parts with additional sculpting by me. The head and hair is also bashed/sculpted by me.

I think the proportions are good, right? Comments appreciated.

Edited by arbit
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@electric indigo As usual, nice n clean with great surface detail!

@arbit Your figures are very realistic, even with anime hair! If I need figures for a project, I know WHO I'm going too..

@Thom The shipyard is looking busy these days. Your stingray is really coming along great.

@Chas It's great seeing a Phoenix here. I love your model. I LOVED that show growing up too. I actually built a very big and rough version out of wood scraps when I was a kid. I'm sure it was VERY rough looking too! Imagine a kid trying to "fly" around about 30lbs of wood model. All my "missions" were short and on the ground.🤣 - MT

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, MechTech said:

@electric indigo As usual, nice n clean with great surface detail!

@arbit Your figures are very realistic, even with anime hair! If I need figures for a project, I know WHO I'm going too..

@Thom The shipyard is looking busy these days. Your stingray is really coming along great.

@Chas It's great seeing a Phoenix here. I love your model. I LOVED that show growing up too. I actually built a very big and rough version out of wood scraps when I was a kid. I'm sure it was VERY rough looking too! Imagine a kid trying to "fly" around about 30lbs of wood model. All my "missions" were short and on the ground.🤣 - MT

And on that note:

 

Edited by pengbuzz
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, MechTech said:

@arbit Your figures are very realistic, even with anime hair! If I need figures for a project, I know WHO I'm going too..

Glad to help.  I can pose them for you too.

166178989_Screenshot2022-08-1922_10_18.png.71f16c8271711d05ee8ca4cac3078d6e.png

This is where I am on the bridge uniforms. Max's face seems big. How about the other two?

I will make Roy a bit taller, but I don't like the super tall 7' look.  I never liked how disproportionate he looks 🤣

 

Edited by arbit
Link to comment
Share on other sites

These look great!  Glad to see OG Macross figures getting some attention.  Max's head does look larger than the others if you are going for a more realistic look.  If you are aiming for a more anime look then the larger head looks fine but you may need to lengthen the legs a bit.

Agreed,  the old Imai 1/12 basketball player Roy figure looks way too disproportionate to the others in the series and still bugs me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, arbit said:

Glad to help.  I can pose them for you too.

166178989_Screenshot2022-08-1922_10_18.png.71f16c8271711d05ee8ca4cac3078d6e.png

This is where I am on the bridge uniforms. Max's face seems big. How about the other two?

I will make Roy a bit taller, but I don't like the super tall 7' look.  I never liked how disproportionate he looks 🤣

 

Maybe fatten up the faces on the other two, more so on Hikaru than Roy 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, arbit said:

Glad to help.  I can pose them for you too.

166178989_Screenshot2022-08-1922_10_18.png.71f16c8271711d05ee8ca4cac3078d6e.png

This is where I am on the bridge uniforms. Max's face seems big. How about the other two?

I will make Roy a bit taller, but I don't like the super tall 7' look.  I never liked how disproportionate he looks 🤣

 

I'd say shorten both Hikaru and Max rather than making Roy super tall.

Which he is already,,,

CPtCXVBUAAAUIdx.png

And Max and Hikaru are about the same height. Ben is Roy height.:D

Max,_Ben,_and_Rick.JPG

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is one of two Yamato 1/72 VF-11's I just recently picked up, good & cheap too!  (I'll post pics of the other one when it arrives)

I forgot to take pictures of this one before I dis-assembled it so these are the pics the seller used & as you can see, she's sun bleached all over.

With that in mind I'll be repainting this as a Mac 7 VF-11C, while this is the 2nd Release with improved hip joints, the metal bar that holds the arms & wings snapped/broke off, so I I'll restore this as either a Battroid or Fighter mode only... I'll flip a coin as to which way I'll keep it. 

Older Yamato's or not when this & the other 11B are done, I'll have a total of 6 VF-11's and I'm all good with that. B))

 

VF-11C.jpg

VF-11C 2.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey there everyone!

I worked on the VF-9 a bit again and went through some renders and started to be unhappy with some parts of the VF-9. I started modelling on this in 2009 or 2010 I think, and some parts are just missing the meshdetail (read: poly count) to be smooth enough for 3D printing. Therefore I decided to redo them.

I did the nose today. So here are renders of before and after.

Before:

vf-9_20220819_002.jpg.e64c41fe5cc0a8496dd6f444723b6b25.jpg

vf-9_20220819_004.jpg.c9b63b2cccc0a98b85fb65beaa421993.jpg

And after:

vf-9_20220819_001.jpg.8ae01c7229a966a2800eff8868f02878.jpg

vf-9_20220819_003.jpg.8987e2696c98a011fdc097a549ed342e.jpg

And here is what I am going to redo as well.

The wings, the head (right behind the nose), the canards, and the lasers.

vf-9_20220819_005.jpg.e6da92adb005894938ac3d272b9b393e.jpg

More and more work, but it is going quickly, as I got all the forms figured out already. I did the nose from scratch again, only today. The first time it took me weeks to get it right. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Urashiman said:

More and more work, but it is going quickly, as I got all the forms figured out already. I did the nose from scratch again, only today. The first time it took me weeks to get it right.

Man, it must be tough to fix your 3d model. Do you have to redo the whole part?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Big s said:

Maybe fatten up the faces on the other two, more so on Hikaru than Roy 

Thanks for the feedback. You have a good eye for proportions. My drawing skills are at pre-school level 😄

Edited by arbit
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@pengbuzz Ahhh, the good ole' days! My son was complaining about a lot of the anime being on paid platforms so not a lot to see. I gave him the ole speech (grandpa voice), "back in my day we didn't have much anime and we liked it!"

@arbit Now you're just showing off putting them together😁

@505thAirborne It looks like you have your work cut out with all the yellowed spots - even on the gray plastic!

@Urashiman You're model is looking good. I think EI may be right about the windshield angle.

At LONG last, a "simple" model that was supposed to be built for a January contest is finally DONE! It's also not so simple anymore either.😉

To encourage you guys not give up on what you're building (or life), here's a breakdown and a tally of how many times I had to redo stuff:

The propeller blades were attempted as solid metal for strength and simplicity. That failed so I had to redo them in steel. Then solder them on to brass discs to fit into the hubs. My plan to blue them with acid failed as the steel had some tin it. So they had to be coated with a Sharpie marker and painted flat to seal them.

The propeller hubs were machined several times for several reasons - of course - why not.

The canopy had to be redone twice. The first one got bad crazes in it due to bad plastic. In fact, this one has some, but they're staying now! The canopy fit horribly from stock so it took several fillings and sanding to get it relatively smooth. Use the natural rubber masking compounds, they're great and get into all the tiny corners.

The bottom shell casing "name plate" had to be decalled and coated four times for various reasons. At least its smooth now. Then four times to glue it to the base cleanly with silicone rubber.

Somebody said the hole in the spinner would look cool with a cannon in it. I agreed. One Saturday, two drill bits later and several wasted pieces, the tiny 3/16" long part was done!

I'll spare you all the details of the two gear boxes. That's tooooo long of a story...

So, having a problem with a project? - DON'T GIVE UP!

And now, here she is, the Mk 25 Turbo Spitfire Lioness - completed. Thanks for checking in guys! - MT

 

 

 

TF-63.jpg

TF-64.jpg

TF-65.jpg

TF-66.jpg

TF-67.jpg

TF-68.jpg

TF-69.jpg

TF-70.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MechTech said:

@pengbuzz Ahhh, the good ole' days! My son was complaining about a lot of the anime being on paid platforms so not a lot to see. I gave him the ole speech (grandpa voice), "back in my day we didn't have much anime and we liked it!"

@arbit Now you're just showing off putting them together😁

@505thAirborne It looks like you have your work cut out with all the yellowed spots - even on the gray plastic!

@Urashiman You're model is looking good. I think EI may be right about the windshield angle.

At LONG last, a "simple" model that was supposed to be built for a January contest is finally DONE! It's also not so simple anymore either.😉

To encourage you guys not give up on what you're building (or life), here's a breakdown and a tally of how many times I had to redo stuff:

The propeller blades were attempted as solid metal for strength and simplicity. That failed so I had to redo them in steel. Then solder them on to brass discs to fit into the hubs. My plan to blue them with acid failed as the steel had some tin it. So they had to be coated with a Sharpie marker and painted flat to seal them.

The propeller hubs were machined several times for several reasons - of course - why not.

The canopy had to be redone twice. The first one got bad crazes in it due to bad plastic. In fact, this one has some, but they're staying now! The canopy fit horribly from stock so it took several fillings and sanding to get it relatively smooth. Use the natural rubber masking compounds, they're great and get into all the tiny corners.

The bottom shell casing "name plate" had to be decalled and coated four times for various reasons. At least its smooth now. Then four times to glue it to the base cleanly with silicone rubber.

Somebody said the hole in the spinner would look cool with a cannon in it. I agreed. One Saturday, two drill bits later and several wasted pieces, the tiny 3/16" long part was done!

I'll spare you all the details of the two gear boxes. That's tooooo long of a story...

So, having a problem with a project? - DON'T GIVE UP!

And now, here she is, the Mk 25 Turbo Spitfire Lioness - completed. Thanks for checking in guys! - MT

 

 

 

TF-63.jpg

TF-64.jpg

TF-65.jpg

TF-66.jpg

TF-67.jpg

TF-68.jpg

TF-69.jpg

TF-70.jpg

Looks amazing. Love the display as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...