Tenjin - Valkyries 2nd Sortie

Graham

The yen's been high for quite a while now (I'd like to say a couple of months, but it's probably closer to half a year, or greater). In addition to the relative weakness of the USD compared to the JPY, there's also shipping and other import fees, plus the local bookstore wants to make their cut. But that's all par for the course for imports (works both ways. Some of you may have serious jaw droppage going on when you see the price of corn flakes and peanut butter.)

For those of you that have both books:

do 2nd sortie contain ALL the Macross illustrations that were printed in the Hidetaka Tenjin Art Book that came out last year? I'd like to know beacuse otherwise I'll have to buy both of them :)

I just received mine yesterday, I would say that the 2nd sotie is all new, but I have a feeling a couple of the images were in the first one. Anyway don't let that bother you, as I said only one or two images looked familiar. The Frontier images at the back are really great as well, I just wish that they were full size.

I just received mine yesterday, I would say that the 2nd sotie is all new, but I have a feeling a couple of the images were in the first one. Anyway don't let that bother you, as I said only one or two images looked familiar. The Frontier images at the back are really great as well, I just wish that they were full size.

I was referring to the "Hidetaka Tenjin Works: the art of Hidetaka Tenjin" from 2010, not the first Valkyrie book from 2005

Thanks anyway! :)

I was referring to the "Hidetaka Tenjin Works: the art of Hidetaka Tenjin" from 2010, not the first Valkyrie book from 2005

Thanks anyway! :)

In that case, yes there are a few repurposed pictures. But that book had a TINY Macross section, so its really not that many.

In that case, yes there are a few repurposed pictures. But that book had a TINY Macross section, so its really not that many.

I'll be even more specific: does that small section in "Works" contain Macross pictures that are not present in either Valkyries books and available ONLY in "Works"?

Edited by nexxstrait

I'll be even more specific: does that small section in "Works" contain Macross pictures that are not present in either Valkyries books and available ONLY in "Works"?

Cant check because Im at work. But both books are well worth getting. Heck, I have two of each ^^;

Picked up a 1/100 YF-29 model and Tenjin's Second Sortie from Animate right after! :lol:

Hi, can you help me?

I was thinking of buying Tenjin's Second Sortie but since i have the first volume i was wondering, Is this one all new material or is there some stuff from the 1st book?

Thanks in advance. :)

There is only one pic that I'm aware of that is in both the Tenjin artbook and the Valkyries 2nd Sortie. That said, it's only one page. The other pages are just simply amazing. There are a couple that I want to make as posters. Just got mine today, and it's VERY well worth picking up. I have 2 of the original Valkyries books, I may get a 2nd one of these down the line.

• 3 weeks later...

I really like the Fighter mode VF-1D, as well as the Blackaces Super VF-1J. ^_^

I still have to finish reading the "Cross Talk" with Yoshiyuki Takani, though. Two of my favourite illustrators, together at last. B))

In general, I like the Yamato and Wave box art images much more than the Bandai & Ace/Ultimate Frontier ones. Former have a much greater visual organization and impact, latter are cluttered (in all fairness to the artist, that's the fault of the client's order).

Favourites:

VF-19A SVF-569 Lightnings (excellent colour balance, clear separation of the background and foreground, and a background that's full of things that get the imagination working)

VF-0C VMAT-203 Hawks (dynamic image with excellent use of negative space, as well as the groovy details on the Daedalus class ship)

VF-22S SVF-124 Moon Shooters (realistic paint on the foreground elements and the sense of volume and weight the shading evokes)

VF-0A/S w/ Ghost (evokes memories of VF-0 as well as how bad-a$$ VFs are when they're fully loaded with gear. Also like the sense of movement and depth)

MBR-04-MkVI Destroid Tomahawk (this! I think it's the attention to details)

ADR-04-MkX Destroid Defender (just like the previous one - the eye-line is also genius.)

VF-11MAXL Custom Mylene Valkyrie (I think it's the light and cheerful colouring and arrangement more than anything else. Mind you, I like the fighter mode of this VF...)

VF-25F Messiah Details (I'm a sucker for this type of image. So, I guess I'll say "the details")

Macross 25th Anniversary SDF-1 Macross (the sense of scale and weight that these images invoke is... just, wow.)

Macross Frontier Animation Works Keyframe & VFX Effect: pretty much every image - so much insight into the creative process and the contributions of the artist can be gleaned from just the images alone. If I have to pick any in particular, they'd be the Megaroad-01 launching (insight into the creative process) and avan C184 & C186 (they highlight the artist's contributions. In short, I see the CG and I think "I can do that!" Then I see Tenjin-san's contributions, and I think "holy crap! I wish I could do that.")

Didn't like:

VF-25F Messiah Valkyrie (Tokyo International Anime Fair 2010 Event Art): something just seems off about it. Intakes too big? Nose too small?

In the end, this book is highly recommended if you're a Macross fan (for the realistic looking VFs) or an artist (so much can be learned from it). If you're both a fan AND an artist, this book is a MUST.

So guys, now that some time has passed Im presuming that some more people have gotten their copies? Any thoughts? favourite illustrations?

I don't even know where to start. They are all brilliant, and this book is an absolute Macross fan must. I guess my particular favs are:

VF-19A SVF-569 Lightnings - More for the background than the fighter itself. Cool looking carrier with flightdeck filled with -11s and -19s.

VF-0C - Always liked the D, cool to see a single seat version. Love the lowvis scheme in the background.

VF-1J Strike - Great detailed shot of an ARMD launch.

VF-0A/S with Ghost - As sketchley mentioned. They just look super deadly.

VF-0A/S Battroid - Just really captures the grace and power of Macross VFs to me.

Tomahawk and Defender destroids - Awesome amount of realism and weight. Always liked ground crew scenes.

VF-0S Gerwalk - Just an outstanding shot.

VF-25F Anime Fair - Unlike sketchley I really dig this one. I agree it looks a bit off accuracy-wise, but it looks so menacing.

So guys, now that some time has passed Im presuming that some more people have gotten their copies? Any thoughts? favourite illustrations?

I totally forgot to respond to this. Anyway, I really enjoyed this book a lot. It's inspired me to work on my art and keep at it. As for my favorites in it, here are some of them.

VF-19A SVF-569 Lightnings. Beautiful shot and the Uraga with mixed VF-11 and VF-19A fighter wing in the background is awesome.

VF-0C VMFAT-203 Hawks was amazing-looking too.

VF-1D art, particularly the one for the Hasegawa fighter kit.

The destroids have some incredible detail.

VF-11MAXL with Tenjin's detail! I hadn't seen the poster before, so it was a surprise.

VF-0S GERWALK has a really nice sense of scale to it and an awesome angle.

YF-19 YF-21 Very beautiful shading on this one, some excellent detail. Looks like new detail added to the YF-19 near the cockpit.

VF-25 Messiah Details was crazy-detailed. Not much else you need to say about that.

Last, but not least, the VF-25F pic that was also on the cover. Again, beautiful shading and lighting.

What I didn't like:

I didn't care for the Frontier model kit box art. I prefer his realistic style and those just look under-detailed and more of a rendering of the animation model then a painting.

Tokyo International Anime Fair VF-25. Really foreshortened, which makes it look awkward. Looks awkward on the landing gear too. The detail and shading of the painting look good, it's just the proportions.

Overall, it's an excellent book. I find myself leafing through it randomly, just looking at the art and getting inspired.

Just ordered my from HLJ. Can't wait to have it in my hands.

No here's to hoping that Customs doesn't hit me too hard. They tend to overlook books but are absolutely ruthless with nearly everything else...

If anyone wants a copy of this book, I maybe able to get them for about $45 (not including shipping from my location in L.A. to your location). If you are interested, send me a pm. I may only be able to do 3 or 4 at most.

• 2 weeks later...

picked this up and the first one last weekend while in Tokyo. also got the VF-1 vol.2 and VF-19 Master File books and found a minty Macross Perfect Memory book and a Macross Plus Movie Edition book.

my first venture into collecting Japanese language books... damn heavy books to lug around! :)

By the way G-man, how are you planning to get the book? I was considering ordering through animate...but maybe there are better options?

I picked mine up at the Satelite booth at the HK C3 show a few weeks back and got it autographed there by both Tenjin and Kawamori :)

Graham

I picked mine up at the Satelite booth at the HK C3 show a few weeks back and got it autographed there by both Tenjin and Kawamori :)

Graham

Curse you and a pox on your house!

Edited by Prime

Graham

And I guess you ran into Jackie Chan on the way back to your home... <_<:p

Graham

Damn! Have I ever told you you suck? :p

@s001 - So I probably shouldnt tell you about the time I had dinner with Jackie? ;-) Even better - he paid :-)

• 1 month later...