Tenjin - Valkyries 2nd Sortie

Graham

Scanlation:

"It's been 6 years since the release of VALKYRIES. This time, Macross F has passed, and (this is the) completed continuation (of the first book).

About 60 points in the illustrations were touched up. About 59 points of explanation of the mechanical art (appears to be art explanations, not in-universe technical stuff). Revisited the box art masters. Full colour, 112 pages."

(stuff in brackets added as it's not directly stated)

Edited by sketchley

Scanlation:

"It's been 6 years since the release of VALKYRIES. This time, Macross F has passed, and (this is the) completed continuation (of the first book).

About 60 points in the illustrations were touched up. About 59 points of explanation of the mechanical art (appears to be art explanations, not in-universe technical stuff). Revisited the box art masters. Full colour, 112 pages."

(stuff in brackets added as it's not directly stated)

I take it that means a good chunk of the art is just stuff from the last book slightly re-touched.

also the last one was 124 pages... :(

I take it that means a good chunk of the art is just stuff from the last book slightly re-touched.

Where are you getting that meaning from?

It's been 6 years... combined with a Macross boom. With Macross Chronicle alone, he's produced 50+ pieces, and I know of at least one canon error on the one in #50.

Yee-ha! Seems like it's coming soon, 19th February to be exact.

http://www.studio-te...LKYRIES2nd.html

112 pages, ¥3,600.

ISBN 9784334901813

(Edit: Damn, link didn't get included when I originallly posted from my mobile phone).

Graham

OMFG!!! I have been waiting for another Valkyries book for like ever!!

Yatah!! :D

Edited by Zinjo

He did extensive poster art for the Chronicle, so here's hoping all that art shows up in this book...B))

Well if he includes the art from every poster he did in the Chronicle, that's another 50 pages..;)

Edited by Zinjo

Wished it had some macross the ride illustrations.

There's a possibility of that. The general rule of thumb with magazines is that their content is finished 3 months before publication. In addition, as a freelancer, Mr. Tenjin may be producing artwork even further in advance (as, if I understand it correctly, he's concurrently working on the 2nd Macross F movie).

I wouldn't expect it, as the artwork printed so far doesn't look like finished illustrations (ie no background, light on the highlights, etc.), but I wouldn't completely give up hope, either.

He did extensive poster art for the Chronicle, so here's hoping all that art shows up in this book...B))

Well if he includes the art from every poster he did in the Chronicle, that's another 50 pages..;)

If they do include Chronicle illustrations in this I hope he goes back and works on them some more. Of the one's I've seen, his Chronicle pieces are a lot rougher than his hase box art.

Its an art COLLECTION. The link never claimed that it was an entire book of new art. And if you look at the massive amount of stuff he has done in the last 6 years - Macross Chronicles, model box art, Game box art - theres easily enough to fill this book I'd say. And if a piece of art was made for a weekly deadline, then I daresay some touchups would be required for a glossy stand alone publication like this. Add to this the fact that he is most likely busy with the 2nd movie at the moment and - well Im sorry man but your comment really came off sounding like a dick.

Its an art COLLECTION. The link never claimed that it was an entire book of new art. And if you look at the massive amount of stuff he has done in the last 6 years - Macross Chronicles, model box art, Game box art - theres easily enough to fill this book I'd say. And if a piece of art was made for a weekly deadline, then I daresay some touchups would be required for a glossy stand alone publication like this. Add to this the fact that he is most likely busy with the 2nd movie at the moment and - well Im sorry man but your comment really came off sounding like a dick.

My first point was that the translated blurb made that sketchley posted made it sound like they were going to be reprinting some art that was published in the first volume already, which sounded disappointing to me given that he has 6 years worth of new material that could be published instead of stuff already printed IN THE PREVIOUS VOLUME.

My second point was that his chronicle illustrations, while fine for a weekly publication, could use some sprucing up if they're going to be including in an expensive art book like this along side his other excellent work. In other words, what you said verbatim and without the defensive, butt-hurt nerd rage. ;)

My first point was that the translated blurb made that sketchley posted made it sound like they were going to be reprinting some art that was published in the first volume already, which sounded disappointing to me given that he has 6 years worth of new material that could be published instead of stuff already printed IN THE PREVIOUS VOLUME.

My second point was that his chronicle illustrations, while fine for a weekly publication, could use some sprucing up if they're going to be including in an expensive art book like this along side his other excellent work. In other words, what you said verbatim and without the defensive, butt-hurt nerd rage. ;)

Nerd rage? No, I think I explained my issues with your original post pretty adequately. If you meant to say what you just said in your last post - which was written a lot more reasonably - then maybe you shouldve written it that way in the first place?

The page linked to already said that there would be older stuff spruced up. But more than that - the fact that the guy is just so prolific these days, I dont see how anyone could jump to the conclusion that they would reprint stuff. Seriously I have about 2 Tenjin moments (as I call them) a week now. Which is when Im looking at some random magazine or model and I think 'damn thats some good art...ah Tenjin again.' For anyone interested in mecha at all, he is definately THE go-to guy these days (even doing artwork for the next Chie Kajiura concert for crying out loud).

Anyways long and short of it - the original posts translation may have been misleading, but your response came across just as much so.

The book is not yet up for pre-order on amazon.co.jp, but I asked Tenjin and he said it should be up fairly soon.

Graham

Awesome. I'll have to wait for the HLJ link or for it to be in stock at KINOKUNIYA.

The book is not yet up for pre-order on amazon.co.jp, but I asked Tenjin and he said it should be up fairly soon.

Graham

LOL that sound so casual like.

(Surfer dude voices) Yeah me and Tenjin were sharing a brew an I was like when's the book out man ? and he was all soon dude soon.

:)

Thanks for the heads up Graham

LOL that sound so casual like.

(Surfer dude voices) Yeah me and Tenjin were sharing a brew an I was like when's the book out man ? and he was all soon dude soon.

:)

Thanks for the heads up Graham

I've met Tenjin once last year in Tokyo and had drinks and dinner with him, big thanks to MWer Save for setting it up.

Tenjin is a super cool dude, speaks pretty good English as well. He's also a Facebook friend, which is how I asked him about the book's release date.

Graham

You do know that amazon.co.jp will ship books to the US and their site has a switch to English option, so ordering is simple.

Graham

I don't like their international flat shipping rates.

HLJ will probably end up cheaper. :mellow:

I've met Tenjin once last year in Tokyo and had drinks and dinner with him, big thanks to MWer Save for setting it up.

Tenjin is a super cool dude, speaks pretty good English as well. He's also a Facebook friend, which is how I asked him about the book's release date.

Graham

Well it still cool, weather It's the in my head version or via a Facebook chat thanks to Save :) version.

Graham

If I were more jealous I'd be a woman. :lol:

Just revisited Tenjin's website, and the page dedicated to this book's announcement has a quicktime video. Not sure if it was there before or not, but in Firefox it only plays once, and I can't seem to get it to play again, despite reloads. It appears just above the cover image.

Anyhow, the video shows the content of the book. The vast majority of images (in the portion that I caught) are art from the model kits (yamato, bandai, wave), along with game art (the PSP games), and a couple of images from Macross Chronicle.

I'm actually not surprised that Macross Chronicle isn't making that much of a presence in this publication (again, based on the portion of the video I saw), because the artwork has already been published in a book-like format; coupled with the general lack of backgrounds to the images.

For those interested in the video: http://www.studio-tenjin.com/VALKYRIES2nd.html

It plays through once and stops but I am able to replay it when I refresh the webpage.

When I clicked on the link, it asked me to download it as a real player download and now it's in my real player library and I can watch it anytime.

Anybody know what the background music that plays in the video is?

Graham