BEST of 2010

Ghost Train

As 2010 screeches to a halt and puts us 1 year closer to the 2012 Mayan Zombie Earth Magnetic Reversal Nibiru Apocalypse, it is again time for MWF'ers to reflect upon the good / bad / ugly.

Suggested Topics

Best:

1) Anime Series/Film/OVA that aired this year.

2) Science Fiction Film

3) TV Series

4) PC/Video Game

5) Consumer Electronic

6) Toy/Model/Action Figure/Plushie/Nendoroid or whatever...

Mine:

1) Sora No Woto

2) Inception

3) Tie between Fringe and Caprica

4) Angry Birds

5) iPad

6) MG Rezel

Feel free to replace a Best List with a Worst List.

/begin

Edited by Ghost Train

Best Sci-Fi Film: Inception

Best Toy: Transformers: Hunt for the Decepticons Leader Class Starscream

Best Car: Ford Mustang

Best Music CD: The Final Frontier by Iron Maiden

Worst Sci-Fi Film: The King of Fighters

Worst Toy: Anything for The Last Airbender

Worst Car: Nissan Juke, Acura ZDX (tie)

Worst Music CD: Anything by Justin Bieber

Best:

1) Anime Series/Film/OVA that aired this year.: Macross Frontier: False Diva

2) Science Fiction Film: Inception

3) TV Series: LOST

4) PC/Video Game: Dragon Age: Origins...Part 2 in March! :D

5) Consumer Electronic: iPad

6) Toy/Model/Action Figure/Plushie/Nendoroid or whatever...: Bandai DX Chogokin Macross Quarter

Worst:

1) Anime Series/Film/OVA that aired this year: None that I have seen have this year have been bad :)

2) Science Fiction Film: Clash of the Titans

3) TV Series: Operation Repo

4) PC/Video Game: Final Fantasy XIII :angry: worst FF ever

5) Consumer Electronic: iPhone 4 shame on Jobs for releasing this model with a factory defect. <_<

6) Toy/Model/Action Figure/Plushie/Nendoroid or whatever... RTTP ^_^

1) Anime Series/Film/OVA that aired this year: Macross frontier film (whatever it was called)

2) Science Fiction Film: Inception, without doubt.

3) TV Series: Who has time for TV?

4) PC/Video Game: Fallout 3 (Yeah yeah, I know its old, just started playing it this year, so sue me)

5) Consumer Electronic: Still love my old Nokia E71

6) Toy/Model/Action Figure/Plushie/Nendoroid or whatever... : Toys?? You gotta be kidding me.

7) Music: Muse at Acer Arena earlier this month. I can't describe how stunning it was.

8) Person of the Year: Julian Assange

I'll agree with the iPad as best consumer electronics doo-dad. It's not perfect, and I think it's over-priced, but like the iPhone before it for smartphones, it represents a paradigm shift in computing. Tablet no longer refers to chunky laptops with swiveling touchscreens, tablet now means 7"-11" slate, usually running a mobile OS, and tablets are going to explode in the coming years (especially if Google can better optimize Android for tablets). Tablets are unlikely, at least for the immediate future, to replace PCs, but I foresee them totally killing the market for netbooks.

That said, it was a good year for Android, too. With the 2.2 update, Android's really coming into its own, and there are a ton of great handsets to choose from. I know I could have gone to AT&T and got one of those iPhone 4s everyone seems to love so much, but I opted instead to stick with Verizon and go with the HTC Droid Incredible. It's not a choice I regret.

But Angry Birds for PC/Videogame of the year? I know it's kind of a phenomenon on the iPhone/iPad/Android-phone-of-choice. I've downloaded it myself. And while it's a well-produced game that stands out against a lot of the crap that floods the mobile market, it's definitely more "time-waster while waiting in line at the deli" than "best game I played in 2010." No, my game of the year choice would be Mass Effect 2. (Fallout 3 fans, take heart, it was my game of the year pick for 2008).

Best Movie - Yamato, even though I have not seen it yet...

Anime Series - I'm always a couple years behind on new series. The best I saw was Full Metal Alchemist (the original, not brotherhood - have not seen that yet...)

Video Game - same thing as for Anime... (Played FEAR 1 and 2 which were very good.)

CD - Weird Al has not released any new CD in a few years now.

Worst SciFi Movie - Don't remember watching any, but it had to be something on SciFi, and I think there was ANOTHER new SAW movie this year...

[best] Anime Series/Film/OVA that aired this year.

Hm... a toss-up between B Gata H Kei, Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou, and Seitokai Yakuindomo.

Honorable mention to Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, since it started airing in '09, but continued into '10.

Dishonorable mention to K-On!! and The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya for being absolute garbage.

[best] Science Fiction Film

To be honest, I don't think there was one... or if there was, it certainly wasn't coming out of Hollywood.

[best] TV Series]

In my experience, the best thing on TV these days is the Off button. The best series still airing new material during 2010? Probably Dirty Jobs.

[best] PC/Video Game

Probably Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood... beautifully-designed game engine wasted on an utterly mediocre game.

[best] Consumer Electronic

Huh... I'd say the latest iteration of the Zune HD.

[best] Toy/Model/Action Figure/Plushie/Nendoroid or whatever...

Don't collect that sort of thing...

In my experience, the best thing on TV these days is the Off button. The best series still airing new material during 2010? Probably Dirty Jobs.

If non-scifi type shows are OK to list then "Boardwalk Empire" was fantastic. I don't normally like Mobster shows either. It helps that I live 10 miles from Atlantic City I guess, and visit the lake in Mays Landing where a certain important scene takes place.

Best anime: I'll go with the Macross Frontier movie. Not that it was particularly amazing but nothing else I watched was really memorable.

Best sci-fi film: Inception

Best sci-fi tv series: Fringe

Best Video Game: Mass Effect 2.

Consumer Electronic: I'll agree with the ipad on this one. Whether or not it's the "best" is debatable as the device and OS has more than its fair share of limitations and odd design choices (no itunes cloud support?) but it's a game changer for the industry.

Toy of year: I'm going to go with the Yamato Macross... if only because that's the toy I've been waiting for all year long.

8) Person of the Year: Julian Assange

If Asange puts on a few more kilos, and builds some muscle, he will transform into the most awesome Bond villain ever :D .

And here is a real-life dramatization of why Angry Birds is (imo) the best game this year:

Edited by Ghost Train

Um, I dunno.

Best Sci-Fi movie: Inception

Best Sporting activity performed: skydiving

Best model chick to finally do hardcore: Mindy Vega

Best thing started this year and for my entire life: learning to play guitar

Best:

Anime Series: Giant Killing - It understands what football means. The absolute star in a lacklustre year for anime.

Film: Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya - 100% epic.

OVA: Gundam Unicorn Ep2. - It's UC gundam, nuff said.

Science Fiction Film: Inception by lack of competition

TV Series: Hardly ever watch TV but best show I've seen this year was Madmen

PC/Video Game: Starcraft II - RTS heaven

Consumer Electronic: Heatbox - Not having to remove frost from my car windows at minus 15 makes me love this device.

Toy/Model/Action Figure/Plushie/Nendoroid: Yamato VF-1S Roy Focker TV 1/60

Best:

1) Anime Series/Film/OVA - ??? I dont watch new anime

2) Science Fiction Film - ??? I dont go to the cinema, I watched the Octogon last night, that was dope!

3) TV Series - Its Always Sunny in Philly

4) PC/Video Game - Men of War: Assault Squad: The REAL RTS heaven, no stupid base building

5) Consumer Electronic: iphone

6) Toy/Model/Action Figure/Plushie/Nendoroid or whatever... 1/2000 SDF-1 will live on as a holy grail for thousands.

Suggested Topics

Best:

1) Sazae-san

2) District 9 (released here in 2010 :p )

3) Stargate Universe

4) anything with the word "Macross" in it.

5) keitai's with not only the power of a digital camera, but also cometh w/ a built in E/J, J/E dictionary (yeah, sure, "Smart" phones can do it, but when the mobile internet costs a fortune to access, built in features are teh sex)

6) 3 in 1 lego kits

2) Science Fiction Film

3) TV Series

4) PC/Video Game

5) Consumer Electronic

6) Toy/Model/Action Figure/Plushie/Nendoroid or whatever...

1) I dunno. I'll put the Macross The First Manga since I don't really watch anymore new anime.

2) Inception for sci-fi but Toy Story 3 is the best film of 2010

3) I guess Fringe would be the best sci-fi. Best overall would be Community.

4) I've only played Dinosaur Slayer on the iPhone4

5) iPhone4

6) I'm thinking it's the 1/3000 Macross but MOTUC Battlecat if it has to be a previously released toy.

Worst:

Justin Bieber hair style(a.k.a.-hairy eye patch OR hurricane hair do)

I see gen y with this hair do everyday and I laugh my ass off!!

Infact I reckon that anyone with this hair do should win a "comedic timing" award for deadpan deliverence..how do they keep a straight face?

How do they drive cars safely?

I bet pharmacies are selling out of saline solution(eye wash for conjunctivitis)as these hairsprayed strands of hair rest a couple of mm directly above their cornea,s.

Infact I know a guy that had put soo much product in his hair that his skin re-acted and broke out in pimples all on the one side of his face and now the Bieber hair do is a necessity to cover up his pizza face!!

I saw a guy with the Justin Bieber hair do with sunnies on, which means he,d have to adjust the hair do out of the way,put his sunnies on and then place the hair do back down ontop of the sunglasses!!

Either that or if you,ve got good lighting, put the sunnies on first ,then work the hair do around it.

It stays in place!!, what if these guys run into a gust of wind,how do they maintain their hair style,do they carry hand mirrors??

Nerd rant off ( sorry ghost train)

BEST:

Haven't really watched anything made this year... that I WATCHED this year was the Hellsing OAVs

2) Science Fiction Film

To be honest, I'd go with Predators. I had the most fun watching that one.

3) TV Series

Mad Men!

4) PC/Video Game

Red Dead Redemption

5) Consumer Electronic

My Samsung Fascinate!

WORST:

I don't really have time for stuff that sucks enough to be the worst.

Edited by Max Jenius

Shouldn't it be the best of 2001 - 2010, since we are about to enter a new decade.

Decades end in 09 I think though some people argue that it rolls over to "10." Ending in 09 makes sense, as zero precedes one, hence there are ten years from year 0 to year 9.

But just for fun, should the question had been posed it would probably look like this:

1) Best Movie: Macross Frontier False Songstress

2) Best Anime Series: Macross Frontier

3) Best Anime OVA: Macross Zero

4) Best Artist: Sheryl Nome

5) Best Video Game: Macross Ace Frontier

6) Best Toy: Erh.... do you need to ask :p

No since 2001 was the first year of the new millenium, 2010 is the last year of this decade. Always remember kids, there was a year 0 before a year 1.

Edited by Peabody

No since 2001 was the first year of the new millenium, 2010 is the last year of this decade. Always remember kids, there was a year 0 before a year 1.

Um, there was no "Year Zero". 1BCE -> 1AD

Decades end in 09 I think though some people argue that it rolls over to "10." Ending in 09 makes sense, as zero precedes one, hence there are ten years from year 0 to year 9.

When we refer to centuries, a century ends on a year ending in 00 and the next begins in 01. This is because there was no year zero, and we're counting from the first century AD (or CE, for politically correct)

Now, if we were counting decades from the first decade, then the years of 2001-2010 would be the 201st decade. But, we don't really count decades like that. And, strictly speaking, a decade is any ten-year period. If you turn 40 in 2014, then you'll have lived for four decades.

Since we don't count decades back from the first, we tend to group decades by the number in the 10s space. That is, 1980-1989 was the 80's, even though the 180th decade since year 1 would have been 1981-1990. Using that system of grouping, the 2000s ran from 2000-2009, and we're in the... I dunno. Teens, I guess, until 2020 rolls around.

1) Anime Series/Film/OVA that aired this year = For anime = Macross Frontier False Songstress, For Cartoon = Toy Story 3

2) Science Fiction Film = Tron Legacy

3) TV Series = Stargate Universe (boy am i depressed it is getting canceled)

4) PC/Video Game = Starcraft 2

5) Consumer Electronic = Bought a Panasonic pocket size camera with big zoom, very happy with it, and with panasonic in genecal

6) Toy/Model/Action Figure/Plushie/Nendoroid or whatever... = Although it may not be 2010, i have bought a Yamato 1/60 yf-21 and yf-19 bird of pray, both of which are my favorates. Otherwise, probably the SDF-1 and Monster (std version) if i could have purchased those!!!

Best:

1) Anime Series: Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt

2) Anime Film/OVA: Macross F.

3) Science Fiction Film: TRON Legacy

4) Animated film: Despicable me/Toy story 3 (tie)

5) TV Series: Fring/Hawaii 5-0/Warehouse 13

6) PC/Video Game: Bioshock 2

Edited by anime52k8

Worst:

Justin Bieber hair style(a.k.a.-hairy eye patch OR hurricane hair do)

I see gen y with this hair do everyday and I laugh my ass off!!

Infact I reckon that anyone with this hair do should win a "comedic timing" award for deadpan deliverence..how do they keep a straight face?

How do they drive cars safely?

I bet pharmacies are selling out of saline solution(eye wash for conjunctivitis)as these hairsprayed strands of hair rest a couple of mm directly above their cornea,s.

Infact I know a guy that had put soo much product in his hair that his skin re-acted and broke out in pimples all on the one side of his face and now the Bieber hair do is a necessity to cover up his pizza face!!

I saw a guy with the Justin Bieber hair do with sunnies on, which means he,d have to adjust the hair do out of the way,put his sunnies on and then place the hair do back down ontop of the sunglasses!!

Either that or if you,ve got good lighting, put the sunnies on first ,then work the hair do around it.

It stays in place!!, what if these guys run into a gust of wind,how do they maintain their hair style,do they carry hand mirrors??

Nerd rant off ( sorry ghost train)

I am amused by the irony of this rant combined with your avatar...

My best this year was getting a lot more accomplished on my projects. Finally figuring out what to do with it all and getting away from the definition of "hell"

My worst? Dealing with a hard-break up and an annoying, ignorant ex.....

also discovering that I owe my previous land-lord money cause of some carpet stains from my dog :wacko:

2011 looks to be promising though =]

definitely gonna set more goals for myself

Also if I had to pick a few movies of 2010 that were by far the best, I'd go with Predators and Toy Story 3.

For the stupidity and gore factor, Piranha 3D

games? Nope....

TV? Don't really watch it

Edited by HappyPenguins

I have to say. 2010 has definitely been a bit of a wash, up until this month.

Lost the job, savings, retirement, and almost the shirt off my back.

Graduated with my MBA, got a new job to restart the career with, and hopefully rebuild.

The anime world hasn't been too impressive though, so 2011 has a lot of work to do!

BEST of 2010 Your annual meaningless say on what was good/bad.

GOOD; i finally got a near mint/low usage copy of my dream CD player; the 1987/1990 top-of-the-line audiophile grade PIONEER PD-91;

PD-911.png

PD-91MacG11-26-104.jpg

PD-91MacG11-26-101.jpg

PD-91MacG11-26-102.jpg

DSC_2569.jpg

PD-919-5-2010.jpg

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************

BAD; i had medical problems last New Year's day that quite literally almost killed me.

i was stuck in the hospital for 26 days recovering as a result. it was hell...

got a LOT to be thankful for this year... ^_^

Edited by Shaorin

as a Sony fanboy I have to say 89 was a good year for CD players with x7esd coming out aswell. Much like the PD91/3000 is yor dream the x7 esd is mine.