GUNDAM? Is that good?

BaByLoN_G

I am a complete fan of Macross. Macross II, Plus and Macross 0

I liked MOSPEADA as well.

But here in Toronto, I can't find any Macross stuff in the comic stores.

Everything is about GUNDAM. some toys are pretty impresive.

I have no idea about GUNDAM. is good? Should I buy a DVD? if so, which one is good for a newbie like me?

Should I forget about GUNDAM?

thanks

Gaston

Gundam 0083 Stardust Mermory is pretty good, Kawamori did the designs for the Gundam GP01 and GP02 in it.

Mobile Suit Gundam, first one, nuff said.

Char's Counterattack, the final closure to the whole Amuro and Char/Federation and Zeon rivalry.

08th MS Team if you want some thing about the avarage soldier in the treanches.

Z Gundam if you want something dark.

Wing if you want something somewhat philosophical about war.

SEED, well personaly I liked it, can't really come up with a way to sum up the theme.

It all depends on what your looking for. Gundam, as a sub-genre in itself, covers most of the bases you could want in an anime. The problem is simply finding the right one.

As a rule, you can't go wrong with most of the U.C. stuff.

The A.U. stuff can get a little goofy, and Wing just blows chunks. But that's my opinion.

I suggest you rent what you can and take it from there. Keep in mind that 0079 is the first. Hence it's really old (25?) and the animation doesn't old a candle to the stuff you see today. But the story is what makes it one of the best.

As a coherent story, I think the original TV series is better than the movies. Problem is, if you want it subbed, you have to buy bootlegs with horrid subs.

And for the full story, you really have to see the original series, Zeta Gundam, ZZ Gundam, and Char's Counterattack. (Stick with ZZ... it starts off corny, but improves after awhile.) Again, unfortunately, excluding Char's CA, you'll have to buy boots. But believe me, it's worth it... especially Zeta.

Aside from those... I thought the 0080 and 0083 OVAs were alright, but 0083 is just a confusing mess if you haven't seen the original series or movies.

I didn't care for the 08th MS Team. Just my opinion.

The F91 movie was alright... I think if they would have made it the planned TV series instead, it could have been pretty good.

I'm watching V Gundam right now, but so far, I'm not impressed. Despite being set in the Universal Century, it's so far removed from the classic stuff that it plays out like an AU Gundam with some of the most boring or lame mobile suits in all of Gundam.

As for the AU Gundams, Wing was okay... if you over look all the pretty boy heroes and the fact that it's a retelling of Gundam through Char's CA... and that watching Gundam through Char's CA is more entertaining. And I kinda liked Gundam X.

That's all I've seen so far.

Gundam? Good? some of it is, most of it isn't. I used to like it but the older I've become I find that Gundam's angsty characters are really annoying and just unbelieveable. They should be shot and put out of their misery lol

If you can handle dated animation the Gundam 0079 movies are worth at least one viewing. Amuro is really annoying 2/3 through.

Overrated Gundam....I mean Zeta Gundam.....eh ok.. If you are an 80's mech freak you'll like it. The story(?) blows. Characters are annoying.

ZZ Gundam sucks for the most part. Very dissappointing follow up to Zeta.

Gundam movie Char's Counter Attack. Kinda slow and boring. An overrated anime "classic".

Gundam 0080 War in the Pocket. a snooze fest if you ask me. Others love it.

Gundam 0083. Not bad. Some really cool battles. Kou Uraki and Nina aren't too annoying. Nina is somewhat hysterical IIRC

Gundam MS 08th team. Probably my favorite Gundam if I had to choose. Cool battles and likeable characters.

Gundam Wing.....if you think full of angst 15 year old gay Gundam pilots are worth your time then by all means...

Basically all Gundam is a series of shows to peddle toys, model kits etc. to childeren and young teens. The stories aren't all that interesting and rather dumb. The characters are annoying and unbelievable. You can do better than Gundam.

Depending as to what you watch, yes. I'd say just skip the AUs (Wing, X, G, and Seed), with the exception of Turn A. I'd say to get the movies, but realize that they are condensed versions. And I'd stay away from any of the OVAs and, that Wing movie, and the 0083 Movie (Last Blitz of Zeon?) First Gundam, Zeta, ZZ, and F91 are good. Definitely start off with some of the First Gundam stuff though, since you won't understand a thing without it. And, in response to what other people have said, everyone can say half that stuff about every anime (I do).

I am a complete fan of Macross. Macross II, Plus and Macross 0

I liked MOSPEADA as well.

But here in Toronto, I can't find any Macross stuff in the comic stores.

Everything is about GUNDAM. some toys are pretty impresive.

I have no idea about GUNDAM. is good? Should I buy a DVD? if so, which one is good for a newbie like me?

thanks

Gaston

Start with Gundam SEED, although at this point you'd have to watch fansubs since it won't be released on dvd until next year (avoid HK bootleg dvds like plague).

It's a good series that's basically made for people like yourself.

After that, Zeta, Victory, Turn-A and X are very good series.

The only Gundam you really need to actively avoid are Gundam Wing TV, Gundam F-91 and Gundam ZZ. They are dreck.

(0079 while 'good', is a badly aged relic, only notable for nostalga value now. Worth watching at some point, but not first.)

Yes... forget about Gundam. Why? Because you will never find a person who will give you an unbiased opinion about it, specially since 90% of ppl here seem to dispise it. <_<

If you can rent.... rent as many as you can without listening to anyone. Ppl bash Wing, but you might miss out on something that you might enjoy if you listen to them.

If you can't rent.... buy the first DVD of the series that are available and see if you like anything you see. If you don't.... its not really a big loss. But if you do like.... expect to be spending alot of money on it.

Have an adventure spirit.... walk into this unknown region without a map. :)

Edited by Abombz!!

My opinion about Gundam:

I have yet to see an episode, and yet I love it.

I can live without the Alternate Universe stuff, but I love the Universal Century MS designs... They're some of the best, IMO. They go from Super Robot-type fanservice (the original Gundam) to some downright cool overboard mecha designs (the Deep Striker or Zeta Bst modes anyone?)

Vostok 7

If you can rent.... rent as many as you can without listening to anyone. Ppl bash Wing, but you might miss out on something that you might enjoy if you listen to them.

If you can't rent.... buy the first DVD of the series that are available and see if you like anything you see. If you don't.... its not really a big loss. But if you do like.... expect to be spending alot of money on it.

Probably the best advice in this thread so far.

I'm a big Macross fan and I love SDF Macross, Macross Do You Remember Love?, Macross Plus, and Macross Zero. I've seen much of Gundam, including MSG Movie One, Gundam 0080, Gundam 0083, Gundam the 08th MS Team, Gundam Wing, Char's Counterattack, Gundam F-91, and a good smattering of many other Gundam series.

Out of it all, I found the six-episode OVA Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket to be an incredible series and by far the best dramatic show of any Gundam series. I'd definitely recommend it, though watching a lot of other Gundam would help you understand the series just a little better. Nonetheless, Gundam 0080 is one of the most independant, self-contained Gundam side stories in the main continuity of the Gundam animes. I can't recommend it enough.

If you liked Macross Plus, there's a good chance you'll enjoy Gundam 0080.

Don't listen to the naysayers. Gundam series have just as much characterization in them as anything Macross.

In your position, i'd start with Seed. It basically takes the good parts of all the various series that have come before and merges them together. Plus the animation is some of the best around.

Out of it all, I found the six-episode OVA Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket to be an incredible series and by far the best dramatic show of any Gundam series. I'd definitely recommend it, though watching a lot of other Gundam would help you understand the series just a little better. Nonetheless, Gundam 0080 is one of the most independant, self-contained Gundam side stories in the main continuity of the Gundam animes. I can't recommend it enough.

I agree completly with you on 0080 it is by far the best gundam series out there (I have seen all of em except the 2nd half of G gundam). It was what got me into gundam. It has superb characters done by macross' character artist. The plot is by far the best it shows what war does to PEOPLE not just a pilot fighting. And one of the most amazing things about it was IT HAD A GOOD DUB!!!!!!!! :o

Now I am sure you want to know WHAT gundams there are and if they are available in NA or in our case canada.

Well

*Almost all the DVD's will be from $40-50~ (canadian)

Now Gundam is divided really into multiple universes.

UC- Universal century (The Main one) which most the shows take place in.

Then you got the AU's

FC- Future Century (G Gundam)

AC- After colony (Gundam wing/ endless waltz)

AW- After war (Gundam X)

CC- Correct Century (Turn A gundam)

CE- Cosmic era (Gundam SEED)

UC-

(Available both TV and 3 compilation movies) Mobile suit gundam-

The first one. Now beware for horrid animation (worse then SDF-Macross). Basically these Nazi wannabe's named Zeon decide they are going to declare indepence from the earth. Amuro gets caught in the middle of this conflict while the earth is transporting there new Mobile Suits (giant robots) He gets in one and end's up defeating some Zeon Mobile Suits (MS). So he is forced to help White base (a battle cruiser) fight its way back to earth and defeat Zeon.

Now as much as people like it I think it to be pretty mediocre especially the TV show it was supposed to revolutionize the Giant robot industry but really didn't.

-Super powerful robot

-The guy who made it is the pilots dad

-really ugly bad guys

-The kid has super powers... (Newtype)

But I think you should at least check it out for the back story for later UC shows.

(Available) 08th MS team- This is about this squad of MS pilots and there little missions in south east asia during the original gundam. Now through in some cheesy romance Romeo and Juliet thing and you got this show.

If you want a quick kick ass show about cool robots,with superb animation and stereotypical chacters you can't help to love check this out.

(Available)0080- This is about this sqaud of Zeon MS pilots sent to a colony to take out the new gundam. While there one of the co-stars befriends a small kid obsessed with war and his next door neighbour Kris. Unknown to both of them she is the test pilot of the gundam.....

GET THIS NOW!!!! This is what gundam is about WAR SUCKS!!!!! This is by far the most powerful gundam show ever and its only 6 eps.

(Available) Gundam 0083- Once again animation like 08th MS team. This is about after the War that had been going one in all the previous shows and the EF decides to transport two gundams one with a nuke the remaining forces of Zeon decide to steal the one with the nuke and use it against the EF. Now the test pilot for sucky MS gets in the other gundam and tries to track down the other one and stop it.

Yep thats about it for 13 eps. Really all this show is is flashy battles and lame characters with huge plot holes. While it intended to be a bridge between MSG and Z gundam it really didn't do very much beside blow up lots of stuff.

(Available very soon)Z gundam - 4 years after 0083 the titans have made a very opressive government and reign over the colonists with a steel fist now people didn't like this and decide to fight back.

Through in some disturbingly dark stuff (Gassing colonies killing millions of people for no reasons etc.) and annoying characters and more Newtype stuff and you got Z gundam. Now I love this show but it really isn't THAT good. Sure its dark but that doesn't mean violent I think there are only really 3 scenes of blood in the entire show. Now if you want a morbid show where 70% of the cast die in the last 10 eps get this.

(Not available) ZZ Gundam- A DIRECT sequel to Z gundam where this annoying kid named Judau has to save his little sister from the evil forces of Neo-Zeon so he joins the AEUG to save her. This show really changes the mood to almost a happy fun comedy show for the first 15 eps but then reverts back to its origins of serious space opera style.

Now only check this out after seeing Z gundam.

(Available)Char's Counter attack- Well char's back and wants to play hurl the aesteroid against the earth. Amuro wants to stop him etc.

Basically the end of Amuro and char for good. Why they released this before Z and ZZ is beyond me. But see this after everything else above it.

(Available soon) Gundam F-91 - 30 years after CCA so new characters and everything. Some evil space colonists decide to conquer the other colonies guy gets caught in between and pilots the F-91 gundam to stop them.

Blah...Blah....Blah.... Maybe if this movie had been a TV show it would have been better. it is UBERLY fasted paced so it makes no sense. Skip it if you want.

(Not available) V gundam- 30 years after F-91. Now the colonies are conquering earth and doing a good job too. Usso a 11 year old kid ends up piloting the gunda mthis time and has to help fend off these dudes. Now while this may seem like the rest it IS NOT!!! This is far more dark then Z people dieing left and right people you think aren't going to die do. Man its crazy but good.

This is a REALLY good gundam show awesome mech battles (even though the mechs themselves aren't that good) with one DARK @$$ story. You really don't have to watch any gundam before this to enjoy it.

AU- Alternate universes

(available) G gundam- A complete 180 for gundam instead of the real robot style of gundam it is now more super roboty where you have crazy looking gundams with stupid attacks cool huh :D .

Now this is about this guy nmaed domon who is looking for his brother but while doing this he is fighting in these fights representing japan to see who cna get earth for some set amount of time.

Well then a unique version of gundam but really fun to watch.

(Available) Gundam Wing- The series most people are familiar with. About these five pretty boys sent to earth to fight for the colonies freedom.

This show is probobly what most people got into gundam with. Yeah its got lot's of explosions but one hack job of a plot. Check it out non the less heck you could like it.

(Not available) Gundam X- Basically it is a what if scenario where all the colonies smashed into earth and it was pretty much destroyed. Now 15 years after that this kid named Garroad is found trying to protect this girl with mysterious powers from these organizations.

Why this got cancelled in its run I don't know I LOVED this show SO MUCH.

(Not available) Turn A gundam- If you though the other gundams were political check this. Basically for some reason mankind is in pre WW1 lifestyle. While that is going on the moonrace (incredible advanced) decide to come to earth and take some land for themselves. But before this they sent down 3 spies to check out the planet. One of them named Rolan decides that he will try to settle this peacefully.

WOW now this is politics. Now if you want MS action DONT WATCH THIS!!!! it has quite "unique" designs for the mechs especiall the Turn A gundam. But pretty good I LOVED the ending it brought me to tears.

(available prob late 2004/early 2005) Basically took elements of MSG and Wing and threw them together to get this. Its about colonists pissed at earth earth builds top secret suits 4 get stolen 1 gets tkane by kira a kid caught in the middle of the war and has to fight against his best friend.

Yeah pretty much Mobile Suit gundam but with uberly shiny animation. Check it out entertainign but nothing new.

So in other words CHECK OUT 0080 NOW!!!! :D

It's Gundam. You've got 25 years of it to watch. You'll either like one series or you won't. I'd have to agree and say start with SEED. There are much better Gundam series out there but for ultra Gundam newbs...you might be better off with SEED first.

-Note: may contain spoilers-

While it can be said that First Gundam (AKA Gundam 0079 ) was still a member of the Super Robot genre, there are still many revolutionaty elements present in it. The most prominent, and most important, is the interaction between "Goodguys" and "Badguys". Before First Gundam, the "Goodguys" were always shining beacons of "good", and the "Badguys" were pure evil, from the evil leader, to the lowest minion. First Gundam changed all that. The Duchy of Zeon (later changed to the Principality of Zeon) was filled with honest soldiers, officers, and even leaders.

Lt. Ranba Ral is a good example. He fought, not for a fanatical ideal, but simply because he was a soldier. He had no illusions about the interactions of the opposing forces. He even showed respect and chivalry to his enemies. He was a true soldier, who devoted his life to war, and likely would have been equally at home on either side.

Another case in point is Garma Zabi. Garma was really a good person. He was more interested in his fiance than in the war. He even said that he'd desert the Zabi family for her. But fate, and "Char Aznable" interfered. Garma would have been horrified to find out what his death was turned into by his brother Ghiren.

Which leads to Casval Rem Deikun himself, the infamous Char Aznable, the Red Comet. Casval/Char is something of an enigma. Even to the end, there were many questions about him. What we do know is that he was the son of one Zeon Zum Deikun, founder of what was to become the Duchy of Zeon, after his covert assassination by Degwin Sodo Zabi, scion of the Zabi family, and Deikun's trusted lieutenant. Casval/Char infiltrated the ranks of Zeon, and worked his way up to being one of the most respected and trusted officers of the Zeon military, working in direct contact with the Zabis himself. Char eventually killed them all off, those that didn't get killed by their own family, that is. However, Char showed no sigh of being on the UNT Spacy (Later EFSF) side. He relentlessly pursued the White Base, through space and Earth, and showed no mercy to them, or to any of the other enemies he faced. The image of his crimson Z'Gok, impaling a GM, and its pilot, is one that has been, and will be, burned into the conciousness of viewers for many years. As for the question of whose side he was on, the answer is no one. Char fought for his own goals and ideals. And in doing this, he actually becomes one of the most evil characters in the series, despite many viewers' heroification of him.

Many more occasions exist in which minor characters of zeon are distinctly not evil. The group of soldiers, with their single Zaku, and their "flying motorcycles", from the episode "The Threat of Zeon", actually make the viewer sympathize with them, and even have the viewer hoping for their victory. It is actually somewhat disappointing when their attempt is defeated, but the viewer is still happy that the men all survive, and manage to save their lone Zaku.

Then, we have the other side of the equation. We have the UNT forces. Many occasions exist in which soldiers harass, demean, and outright insult Amuro and the rest of the White Base crew. And the officers are even worse. The impression is given that the entire UNT is staffed by officers who only care about their personal gain and promotion. The very leadership is motivated by nothing more than their own greed and corruption. Many times, the White Base is impeded more by its own allies, and their red tape, than it is by their Zeonic enemies.

That element is what makes First Gundam revolutionary. And that element became standard in series after it, to such a degree that we don't even notice. But the series that it made the most impact on, arguably, is nothing other then Chojiku Yosai Macross. It's been admitted many times that Gundam was hugely inspirational to the creators of Macross. It's arguable that Macross as we know it would never have existed without Gundam's infulence. It can even be said that, were it not for Gundam, we would be posting on Megaroad/Megaload World, and debating the advantages of the different Breast Fighters, from a series that parodied the Super Robot genre, and never caught on well enough to gain any of the sequels we know so well now.

Very well written, but I think you left one one key element that was revolutionary about Gundam. Up until then, all the giant robot anime had a lone hero robot fighting a horde of "monster" robots. Gundam was the first one to apply the concept of mass produced military vehicles to the giant robot genre, and this, more than anything, had a direct impact on Macross.

McBride

One addition: 2 other things Gundam changed was that it was a war between humans. Up to this point, all robot shows were about humans fighting hordes of aliens (of varying designs).

Another thing in changed, was the portrayl of robots. Again, the "mobile suits" were (generally) treated as military hardware, and deployed like planes or tanks. Unlike before, where it was one big robot, as the last line of defense.

Overall, Gundam is a franchise with a lot of history. Some have stumbled along the way (I count Wing and Seed to be among one of the worst ones ever made, and I'm blocking G-Saviour from my memory), but all in all, it can be argued that Gundam has one of the biggest influences in anime; but then, how many series can claim they re-invented a genre. Not much, Macross included.

Gundam? Good? some of it is, most of it isn't. I used to like it but the older I've become I find that Gundam's angsty characters are really annoying and just unbelieveable. They should be shot and put out of their misery lol

If you can handle dated animation the Gundam 0079 movies are worth at least one viewing. Amuro is really annoying 2/3 through.

Overrated Gundam....I mean Zeta Gundam.....eh ok.. If you are an 80's mech freak you'll like it. The story(?) blows. Characters are annoying.

ZZ Gundam sucks for the most part. Very dissappointing follow up to Zeta.

Gundam movie Char's Counter Attack. Kinda slow and boring. An overrated anime "classic".

Gundam 0080 War in the Pocket. a snooze fest if you ask me. Others love it.

Gundam 0083. Not bad. Some really cool battles. Kou Uraki and Nina aren't too annoying. Nina is somewhat hysterical IIRC

Gundam MS 08th team. Probably my favorite Gundam if I had to choose. Cool battles and likeable characters.

Gundam Wing.....if you think full of angst 15 year old gay Gundam pilots are worth your time then by all means...

Basically all Gundam is a series of shows to peddle toys, model kits etc. to childeren and young teens. The stories aren't all that interesting and rather dumb. The characters are annoying and unbelievable. You can do better than Gundam.

REBUTAL TIME!!!

0079: Amuro was just a boy, not yet a man, when he was thrust into the flames of war. He does get better. Also, just because the Animation is a little dated does not determine it's quality.

Zeta: There IS Indeed a story to Zeta. I suggest you give it a second chance.

ZZ: Your assesment of ZZ is one of the few I agree with.

Char's Counterattack: Slow? Quite the opposite.

0080: Yes others do love it. Why? Because we appreciate the story.

0083: Ditto.

Wing: Ditto.

In conclusion, Although I respect your opinions, I must say that your post on Gundam is hypocrytical and filled with ignorant remarks (Even More so your conclusion).

Sieg Zeon.

There were series before Gundam with human enemies, mad scientists and the like. True, it was revolutionary in that it was the first to feature the Mecha as mass produced weapons, but that isn't the biggest impact it had, in my mind. I think the whole good/evil situation was the most influential part, and, while the others were important, imagine how long my post would have been if I'd gone into them...

I find it interesting that so many people here (who obviously are all Macross fans) seem to dislike Gundam. Now, there's no need to get into history here, but our beloved Macross wouldn't exist without Gundam. And really, how are the original Macross and Gundam series any different from each other? They both go hand in hand as all-time classics. As far as Gundam's commercial aspects, that's the way nearly ALL mecha series are. I'm to understand the point of Macross ISN'T to show off cool Valkyries? But the point of Gundam is just new suits?

Very rarely do you see non-commercial mecha anime. About the only ones I can think of that I've seen are Turn A Gundam, Gasaraki, and to a certain extent Patlabor. As for some series like SEED or Wing, the point is to sell toys and the toys dictate the story. However, you also have series like the original and Turn A, where the point is to tell a good STORY. As is the point of Macross. Gundam is certainly not lame...and without it we wouldn't be here today on this forum.

i like some of it. 08th is probably my favorite non-macross anime. i loved the mechs and the characters. some of it blows (wing, to be specific). some i haven't seen yet (Z, ZZ, SEED), o i can't comment.

like someone suggested, try the 0079 movies, then try 08th MS Team. the animation is great, its still the OYW (one year war) and like i said, the mechs rock.

Long live the Ez-8.

:)

I agree completly with you on 0080 it is by far the best gundam series out there (I have seen all of em except the 2nd half of G gundam). It was what got me into gundam. It has superb characters done by macross' character artist. The plot is by far the best it shows what war does to PEOPLE not just a pilot fighting. And one of the most amazing things about it was IT HAD A GOOD DUB!!!!!!!! :o

Yes, Haruhiko Mikimoto does do the character designs for Gundam 0080...the very same character designer we all know and love from Macross. As expected, the designs are fantastic. Also, Yutaka Izubuchi was in his prime during the making of Gundam 0080 and came up with some of the greatest mecha designs of his career for this series, even surpassing his work on Patlabor IMO.

Gundam 0080 is just a phenomenal story. It's so good, the story actually trancends Gundam itself. You could make this story in any setting and it would work just as well because the core of the story utilizes such a profound, universal theme. Much like Macross, Gundam 0080 is primarly a war drama so you love the characters first and foremost. The mecha action and battles is just how the story is sold, but they are some of the best mecha battles to be seen.

Yes, Gundam is a VERY vast universe.... Azrael has it right, I start with Gundam: SEED. It's little more than a rehash of the story from the original series (of course there ARE differences, but it's basically the same), and the animation is CRANK (fo shizzle)... sometimes I could forget there is a story and watch the animation alone. The soundtrack also rocks.

There are some consistents that make it into most Gundam series:

-Main pilot starts out as a feeble-minded fool, but trains into an ultimate badass (Amuro, Shin, Kou, and the list continues)

-Main badguy(s) almost ALWAYS own(s) every fight he gets into (Char, Norris, Gato, Zechs, The Frost Brothers, and so on)

-"The Horrors of War" get major screentime... these are almost always shot to make you detest war.

-Spaceborn pilots are better mobile suit pilots (either as newtypes, or just plain superior.. again, not a given, but typical)

If you're getting into Gundam, I can't help but think you should try a non-UC story first (because if you watch UC first, you're probably not going to like the story deviants.. kind of like watching a movie after reading the book), it's not a guarantee (there are those that work otherwise), but you may get more out of it that way. Diehard Gundam fans tend to consider the UC story their "major" while they "minor" in given non-UC stories.

My favorites?

UC Timeline (Gundam Major)

-Moblie Suit Gundam: 08th MS Team (good up until the last with Characters that fit the scene WELL... and it has the EZ8, the gundam that wasn't)

-Mobile Suit Gundam: 0083 (It's like Top-Gun with mobile suits... and the Dendrobium Mobile Armor rocks... music isn't half bad either)

Non UC Timelines (Gundam Minor)

-AfterWar New Mobile Suit: Gundam X (The XX Gundam is my all-time favorite gundam.... even if it IS a Nu-Gundam knockoff, the dual satallite cannons bring the pain! A dark but wonderful story of self-discovery... but then, most gundam series are...)

-Gundam: SEED (best animation so far.... intense, if slightly revisited, story with deep characters, excellent soundtrack!)

-Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz (too much time spent with inner monologue and pointless discussion, which is typical of Wing, but the mobile suits rock... I love Heavyarms Custom!)

So, as you can see... EVERYONE sees something different that they like. Gundam really can be a personalized interest with so many different choices.

Yes... forget about Gundam. Why? Because you will never find a person who will give you an unbiased opinion about it, specially since 90% of ppl here seem to dispise it. <_<

Best advice I heard all day.

I mean, for every one person that says they liked a certain Gundam series, another will come up and say that they didn't. Ultimately, you just have to try it and see.

I do find it ironic that people here tell you to watch the Gundam movies, but not the TV series, because they think that the TV series is too old and poorly animated. Yet they seem to universally be in favor of a TV show that's not much more recent, and for several (Animefriend) episodes, much more poorly animated. No, I'd definately go with the TV series over the movies... the movies are so crammed that they borderline on incoherent if you're not already familiar with the story. The pacing of the TV series works much better.