The valkyrie (or other Macross toy) you just don't care for...

drkstar00

Huh?

Maybe you need some reading-comprehension lessons since what *I* listed from my post ain't everything. It ain't even half of what's in existence.

I hope you know that "reading comprehension" refers to what you have written, not what isn't suggested or inferred. Since you didn't list everything, I'm kinda curious as to what you do actually like.

As for what I don't care for, it's the Toynami MPC 1/55 line of Valkyries/Veritechs. Also don't care too much for anything SD or chibi, although, the chibi character statues and figures are fine.

I like these:

ariibat_maxmiliaf.jpg

oh god, don't remind me of those!! :(

i must have wasted about $200 on those things back in the late nineties!

i was such a desperate-ass MACROSS fan back in those days. no internet,

complete dependence upon whatever the local comic shops decided to stock!! WAAAHHH!! :(

on a side note, i still have the little bastards if anyone is interested in buying the

damn things off me. got GERWALK and BATTROID of pretty much all of the variants, plus the large vinyl

Hikaru Ichijo in flight suit.

will trade for any of the three YAMATO 1/60 MAC PLUS Valks, other offers considerable...

Edited by Shaorin

I can kind of forgive the Bandai Macross 7 stuff from back in the day, but with the way the collectors' toy market is now, I really think the VF-25 DX Chogokin is inexcusable. Absolutely the worst modern toy, it's like Bandai did no research on their customers nor their competitors whatsoever.

Yeah, I hate those things too, I only own 2 and after transforming the VF-25S I was totally turned off. Armor didn't fight right and in the end when you managed to put it all on, it was anything but bad ass when it couldn't stand on its own and the fact that you need additional parts to attach the gunpod in fighter mode and extend its neck for the head to look right. People who say they're Perfect Transformable are out their Goddamn minds. SV-51s are easier to transform and hold poses for something depicted as being extremely limber, even if they have a floppy left wing joint.

I hate the 1/72 Mac Plus line and all the 1/55 Bandai.

Was going to post pretty much the same thing, I don't hate a lot of Macross toys but I hated these. It was because the 1/72 YF-21 that I hated that design for so many years, now because of the newer Yamato VF-22's etc... I love it.

I don't care for the 1/60 VF-1's much either, I don't hate them but I go for the 1/48's when I buy a VF-1. Only 1/60 VF-1 I do own is the Elint Seeker for obvious reasons.

Back in the day when I was desparate for Macross based toys I remember when these came out. It was such a tease to me because they can't transform. Whats worse it's just a terrible toy all around

ariivf-1jmaxgerwalk.jpg

Edited by kanedaestes

Back in the day when I was desparate for Macross based toys I remember when these came out. It was such a tease to me because they can't transform. Whats worse it's just a terrible toy all around

ariivf-1jmaxgerwalk.jpg

OMG I remember this thing. I was a huge Macaholic back when I got it from Media Play for 10 bucks and I was so excited to finally have a VF-1 anything. I remember it having good detail and the legs went up and down from Gerwalk to fighter but the arms were stuck in place. So to fix this I had sawed off the arms and filed them down so It looked good in fighter mode. I also drilled a hole underneath so I could insert a metal hanger for a makeshift display stand. I think this was the first toy I had ever put so much effort into making it look good.

Edited by Muzaffar

For me it is any 1/100 parts former. These where my first Macross toys but once I went Yamato and Bandai DX I just couldn't go back. I really hate having to dig around for parts every time I want to transform one. Not to mention that they are floppy and want to fall apart every time I try to pose them.

Now I use my 1/100 to test out painting or weathering techniques.

MPC VF-1

It's so poorly made and designed with today's industrial standard.

mpcrfi6.jpg

They are by far a rip-off of the original 1/55 VF-1 Valkyrie that Bandai and that other company made only with some upgraded features, but at least they got ther verniers and RMS-1 Missile tips in the right color Yamato didn't pay close enough attention to that. I and a few others had to customize them ourselves.

They are by far a rip-off of the original 1/55 VF-1 Valkyrie that Bandai and that other company made only with some upgraded features, but at least they got ther verniers and RMS-1 Missile tips in the right color Yamato didn't pay close enough attention to that. I and a few others had to customize them ourselves.

I know many said it's a ripped off from 1/55, but I don't see the resemblance. It only remind me the old Imai/Bandai 1/72 transformable kit, look at the intake, knee joints, legs, chest, ladder etc... The worst part is they can't figure out how to do the sliding fuselage because they were R&D (Review & Copy) on an old model kit that needed to swap fuselage, so the outcome was an enlongeted body from modern tooling on 30 years old blue print. Failed.

VF-1JMyria-1.jpg

I know many said it's a ripped off from 1/55, but I don't see the resemblance. It only remind me the old Imai/Bandai 1/72 transformable kit, look at the intake, knee joints, legs, chest, ladder etc... The worst part is they can't figure out how to do the sliding fuselage because they were R&D (Review & Copy) on an old model kit that needed to swap fuselage, so the outcome was an enlongeted body from modern tooling on 30 years old blue print. Failed.

VF-1JMyria-1.jpg

Unfortunatly I have three of those the VF-1S Roy VF-1J Max and Millia and luckily missed out on the 1D and 1A. I'm contemplating on throwing them away now I upgraded to the Yamato's

Unfortunatly I have three of those the VF-1S Roy VF-1J Max and Millia and luckily missed out on the 1D and 1A. I'm contemplating on throwing them away now I upgraded to the Yamato's

Or instead of throwing them away you could send them my way. :)

It's amazing how time changes perception...

When the 1/55's first came out, I thought it was the ultimate toy. No way anyone is EVER going to top this!

Then the 1/48's came out. I thought it was the ultimate toy.

The 1/60 V2's came out. Many feel the detail blows away anything done up to that point, and probably think of it as the ultimate toy. No way anyone is ever going to top this!

Until...

MPC VF-1

It's so poorly made and designed with today's industrial standard.

mpcrfi6.jpg

I bought the Ben Dixon type since I don't buy anything labeled Robotech unless it was an "original" item (I woudn't go near that Matchbox toy). Gawd, this was disappointing! I also don't care for the first line of Macross plus toys. The parts and proportions were just too far off. These are "hate-able" because these were expensive collectors' pieces. No thank you. The old plastic, tiny, misproportioned toys from the early 80's were okay because they were inexpensive and you saw what you got.

1:72 scale Yammy VF-11B. First one lasted 3 weeks. Second one, broke in box. I still have a leg somewhere. Oh, and the v.1 1:60 VF-1S. I was all excited about having a VF-1 for the first time that wasn't some Micro-SD Robotech thing (though I will always remember how I purchased it, all in pennies). Any way, I'm thinking that this thing looks great, but WTF, the legs have to come off!? At that point in I was beginning to wonder if Yamato had a legless fetish.

Ummm, HI all,

PUTS on GIANT flame suit first! I had a Yammie 1/48 Super Max, 1st issue... It was a well made toy, but finally having a VF-1 that was transformable in my hands, the toy actually depressed me... I just don't like the dated look of it...

I'm 33 and in the USA, so plenty old enuff to remember JetFire, an Roboflop... But my first Macross viewing was Mac+... The YF-19 will always be my most favorite Valk!! Then came DYRL, which I loved, then the Remastered SDF-1 was released, still have the dvd's, but just didn't like the show atall.. Again, the dated look of everything was a buzz killer... Which is ironic to say the least... Have yet to see Mac 7, but werkin on it... Have Mac Zero, like that, and the toys.. Also have Frontier subbed bootlegs, absolutely LOVED IT!!

It was actually the first Macross, Frontier, that I actually identified with and felt more of a connection with the characters....

Please be gentle with me, :unsure:

Yeah, I hate those things too, I only own 2 and after transforming the VF-25S I was totally turned off. Armor didn't fight right and in the end when you managed to put it all on, it was anything but bad ass when it couldn't stand on its own and the fact that you need additional parts to attach the gunpod in fighter mode and extend its neck for the head to look right. People who say they're Perfect Transformable are out their Goddamn minds. SV-51s are easier to transform and hold poses for something depicted as being extremely limber, even if they have a floppy left wing joint.

Thirded. For a fig carrying such a high-end price tag that couldn't even pull off a decent GERWALK mode (essentially a VF's trademark mode), is inexcusable.

Ummm, HI all,

PUTS on GIANT flame suit first! I had a Yammie 1/48 Super Max, 1st issue... It was a well made toy, but finally having a VF-1 that was transformable in my hands, the toy actually depressed me... I just don't like the dated look of it...

I'm 33 and in the USA, so plenty old enuff to remember JetFire, an Roboflop... But my first Macross viewing was Mac+... The YF-19 will always be my most favorite Valk!! Then came DYRL, which I loved, then the Remastered SDF-1 was released, still have the dvd's, but just didn't like the show atall.. Again, the dated look of everything was a buzz killer... Which is ironic to say the least... Have yet to see Mac 7, but werkin on it... Have Mac Zero, like that, and the toys.. Also have Frontier subbed bootlegs, absolutely LOVED IT!!

It was actually the first Macross, Frontier, that I actually identified with and felt more of a connection with the characters....

Please be gentle with me, :unsure:

(Puts on flame suit and stands beside you...) Yeah, MacPlus was my reawakening to Macross as well. I only have vague childhood memories of the VF-1, but the YF-19 was what I truly fell in love with.

*Puts on flame suit for different reasons*

Up until recently (last few years), I couldn't pick out a battroid yf-19 from a line up of gundam. No joke. Then I watched the OVA (I only had seen movie edition before) and all the Mac PLUS love clicked with me. Funny how a few new scenes and a slightly changed plot could change my perception so drastically, making it now a favorite.

With that being said, I could have pointed out a VF-1 in any variation since I was about three years old from watching Clash of the Bionoids over and over...and over

VF-1 is a classic, and the mecha that best exemplifies Macross.

Anyone who says else wise must burn...... ;)

As for the topic? I have little toy experience(jet fire, toynami 1/100 is all), but any non/ transforming Valkyrie doesn't work for me. It is like a transformer with only one mode= NOT a transformer Yamato destroids seems cool though

Any of the toys that were turned into Converters

Anything named VF-__ that either doesn't transform or only has two modes ie. Converters, and the Matchbox Veritech (that word hurts my eyes)

Toynami's VF-1 MPCs. Loose, Ugly, Crap

Yamato 1/60 V.1 and the old Bandai/Revell Robotech models. VF-1s should not require nosecone swapping and/or leg removal

Banpresto VF-1, slightly prettier than the MPCs but even looser and if you can believe it, crappier

Bandai 1/100's line. Stupid bazillion parts formers

Really a waste of plastic if you have to build it like building a gundam

Yamato's VF-1 1/60 v1.0 line. I like it for the metal nostalgia but otherwise a poor implementation for transformation.

MPC never had one was not enough of a sucker to get one.

Cant say I really hate because i like my yammie 1/48 and v2. 1/60 VF-1's but overall im sick of the design. Looking at Optimus Prime as an example look at all the variations we get, while

still maintaining the recognizable features of O.P. There are just too many VF-1s in the market now. There were so many "other" valks in the Mac. Universe. Why not do those.

*Puts on flame suit for different reasons*

Up until recently (last few years), I couldn't pick out a battroid yf-19 from a line up of gundam. No joke. Then I watched the OVA (I only had seen movie edition before) and all the Mac PLUS love clicked with me. Funny how a few new scenes and a slightly changed plot could change my perception so drastically, making it now a favorite.

Same here. (Puts on two flame suits just in case...)

Going off-topic in three...two...one....

My first encounter with MacPlus was when I watched the movie edition back in the early 2000's. While I was enthralled by the awesome aerial dogfighting scenes and the designs of YF-19 and -21, the flow of the anime felt somewhat disjointed and rushed. My biggest problem was with Isamu as a character in the movie edition. Personally, I got the impression that he was high on marijuana all the time, besides being an arrogant SOB.

I've recently watched the three-part series on Youtube, and the difference was astounding. The included scenes of Isamu in his superior's office after the awesome VF-11B scene, his first meeting with the supporting characters in the meeting room, and even the scene where he's had enough of Jan Neuman busting his chops and threatens to "eat him up", painted him as a believable character, rather than the caricature he was in the movie edition.

Also, the extra scenes let the relationship between Lucy and Isamu play out more naturally. In the movie, he comes on to her right after drawing that giant pterodactyl in the air, and she didn't look particularly pleased to meet him. Then right after he gets a talking to from Milliard, there she is yelping behind him on his bike as he speeds through traffic.

Of course, the three-part version wins hands down with the opening fight scene featuring the VF-11B Thunderbolt! B))

(Slinks away to look for a heat-retardant shield just in case...)

I got super excited when I was a kid to get ANY Robotech Variable fighter toys. They just weren't that available when I was growing up.

When I FINALLY got the VF-1J-S Matchbox abomination, I cannot tell you how disappointed I was that this thing did NOT transform. (Not to mention, it just looks like poo). I remember taking it apart, and the legs did swing out with some minor alterations-so the prototype probably turned into a guardian at least. But all the corners they cut...it was just a bad, bad toy.

I think the whole line might have benefited from just keeping the figures a seperate scale than the mechs.

Or at least shrinking the scale some.

Going a few hairs off-topic here. . .

It was suffering from G.I.Joe/Star Wars envy, trying to break into that marketshare.

Just a thought, but they could've gone with a scale closer to MASK, STARCOM or even Air Raiders.

Not qutie sure if all those lines were selling at/around the same time.

But I think the Veritech could've been made a better toy if it was a scale or two smaller.

But the big 3 (G.I. Joe, Transformers, Star Wars) did have the boy's toy market (mostly) locked up.