Star Wars on Blu-ray in 2011

Guest sh002

Lucky.

I hope it's the Criterion Edition, and you get to see them not only setting up the access tunnel guns, but see them fired.

Nah, it's the original, leaner version. Dunno why, but I prefer it to the extended version.

The pacing. The scenes with the sentry guns is cool but it slows the movie down considerably. I like the extended version because I can't get enough Alien(s), but I can see why those scenes wound up on the editing room floor.

Now, if I can just wake up early enough before work tomorrow to pick up my NOOOoooooooo blu ray set...

The pacing. The scenes with the sentry guns is cool but it slows the movie down considerably. I like the extended version because I can't get enough Alien(s), but I can see why those scenes wound up on the editing room floor.

Agreed. As cool as those scenes are (I especially agree with the decision to remove all scenes of the colonists prior to the Colonial Marines arrival), they do slow the film down as well as side track it. Kinda like the pod-racing in Eps I and superfluous "nos" in Eps VI.

Darn it, all this talk about SW and ST is making me want to dust off my collection and watch it again (no, not going to buy it. Above and beyond a lot of the reasons members have posted in this thread, I've already bought the set in DVD format. 4 of the films on VHS, too! Do I REALLY need to shell out ¥12,500~17,500 for something I already have?)

My personal favs for the SW saga are Eps IV (pacing, and sheer creative energy), Eps V (THIS), and Eps II (no, not the romance. The building up to and payoff at the end.)

Eps III gets my dislike. For one big, fat ugly reason: the pacing is WRONG. Where Eps II, IV, V and VI get the build up to a climactic payoff just right, Eps III gives us a big payoff, and everything after that feels anti-climactic. Which happens AGAIN, after the final battles between Yoda/the Emperor and Vader/Obi-wan. Ugh.

Anyhow, I'm going to take a review that a member pointed me to into consideration when I rewatch the series: production chronology, not in-universe chronology. I want my Vader as bad-a$$ as long as possible, thank you.

Eps III gets my dislike. For one big, fat ugly reason: the pacing is WRONG. Where Eps II, IV, V and VI get the build up to a climactic payoff just right, Eps III gives us a big payoff, and everything after that feels anti-climactic. Which happens AGAIN, after the final battles between Yoda/the Emperor and Vader/Obi-wan. [/

Initially thought that, as well, but now I'm thinking it's on purpose to set you up for Ep IV. Ep V is the same way, there's no resolution at all and everything is left hanging in the air. It needs IV and VI to bookend it. There's an immediacy ready for VI, that's lacking with IV, though, since we KNOW it's going to be an 18 year wait for the latter but we know there will be a much sooner payoff with VI. Story could have been left more ambiguous and hinted to either rescuing other Jedi or eluding more clone attacks, etc (which could be fleshed out in live action TV, the EU, or games or whatever).

III is WOW reference quality from visuals to audio, though.

I want my Vader as bad-a$$ as long as possible, thank you.

Like most bullies, he was fronting. :D He was always a gimped quadruple amputee in a walking iron lung lashing out. Robot Chicken's Emperor summarized it best. :D

Did anyone else see the IMAX version of Ep II when it came out back in '02? It was edited considerably for some reason....memory limitations I think. Anyway, the edit was fantastic. It pretty much cut most of the romance stuff except just a few simple scenes and also cut some of Anakins tantrums. It left the ultimate "I love you" revelation by Padme' much more realistic and the whole romance more believable too since it didn't look so forced. Wish I could see it again or that it was the official version of the film.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Darn it, all this talk about SW and ST is making me want to dust off my collection and watch it again

Dunno about Star Wars (too busy moving to even think about buying the Blu-rays), but I'm happy to say that I have all 11 Trek movies on Blu-ray.

Did anyone else see the IMAX version of Ep II when it came out back in '02? It was edited considerably for some reason....memory limitations I think. Anyway, the edit was fantastic. It pretty much cut most of the romance stuff except just a few simple scenes and also cut some of Anakins tantrums. It left the ultimate "I love you" revelation by Padme' much more realistic and the whole romance more believable too since it didn't look so forced. Wish I could see it again or that it was the official version of the film.

Chris

It was AWESOME!

So awesome that despite having seen the film twice in a regular theatre, I saw it THREE times in IMAX. (Wasn't planning to do that, never have done that, and will probably never do that again.)

I think they edited it down to less than a 2 hour running time. Not sure of the official reason either, but my friends and I always guessed it had something to do with projector limitations.

Anyhow, I didn't notice the cut scenes the first time, but did the next time. Didn't really feel like their removal hurt the film.

IMAX version:

Pros: you know all the background detail? Little people in the background on hangar platforms and stuff? THEY GOT MORE DETAILED!

Cons: you know all the facial detail? IT GOT TOO FRIKKEN BIG. 6 ft zit about sums it up.

Edited by sketchley

Chris

It was actually the last movie I've seen in IMAX as sad as that sounds. Was really good though. You're definitely right about the editing too. All that worthless, mushy, and like you said, forced Naboo love stuff was perfectly removed/reduced.

Edited by Chewie

It was actually the last movie I've seen in IMAX as sad as that sounds. Was really good though. You're definitely right about the editing too. All that worthless, mushy, and like you said, forced Naboo love stuff was perfectly removed/reduced.

The best romance stuff in all 6 films has to be in ESB, with Han grinding down Leia's defences to bring out her true feelings. Personally I don't think that Lucas originally had any plans for Luke and Leia to be brother and sister until he was writing ROTJ and suddenly realised that he needed a reason why the Luke/Leia romance didn't go anywhere. A few more female characters in the original trilogy would have made it more plausible though.

The best romance stuff in all 6 films has to be in ESB, with Han grinding down Leia's defences to bring out her true feelings. Personally I don't think that Lucas originally had any plans for Luke and Leia to be brother and sister until he was writing ROTJ and suddenly realised that he needed a reason why the Luke/Leia romance didn't go anywhere. A few more female characters in the original trilogy would have made it more plausible though.

Well, the best romance stuff certainly wasn't in ROTJ, where Han and Leia's laughable attempt at a romance had me grinding my f**king teeth. Well I finally got my b-ray set, but for some reason I keep reaching for Thor and the Mazinkaiser SKL series instead... ^_^

Also, I'm pretty sure it's been established that Lucas didn't have the entire saga planned out like he says he did. Silly George...

Mid-day edit: Mesa thinks watching de Phantom Menace is a giving mesa headache. Although if this is the "worst" looking of the movies I guess I'll be quite pleased when the Battle of Yavin comes along...

Edited by myk

I'd be a lot more pleased with Yavin if they had bothered to actually give the ships varying R2 units... dry.gif

Also... never do a frame-by-frame of Yavin's intro. You can count the polygons on the "round" pieces of the X-Wings.

Those graphics are the main reason I never watch the SE of ANH. Even if they move like molasses, physical models are always so much better.

Edited by Chronocidal

Also... never do a frame-by-frame of Yavin's intro. You can count the polygons on the "round" pieces of the X-Wings.

Wouldn't dream of it-I know just the amount of ignorance to dial in to maintain bliss...

Just went through ANH a bit ago. I think the second part of the new krayt dragon screech is the best yet but the first part is weird. Didn't really care one way or the other for the new rocks around R2's hiding spot. They didn't bother my suspension of disbelief, nor was it hindered. I am definitely enjoying watching them in chronlogical order. I'll start TESB in a bit.

So I just threw all order of viewing out the window and only watched Ep. III. B))

I'll get into watching the entire series when I get some more time off from work.

-b.

It's going to take FOREVER to get through the entire bluray set.

You have six movies.

Then two sets of commentary tracks, times six movies.

Then 40 hours of extra features.

You will need a LOT of time of work! :lol:

So cool, though. This is one of the must own blu-rays. Lots of cool stuff.

It's going to take FOREVER to get through the entire bluray set.

You have six movies.

Then two sets of commentary tracks, times six movies.

Then 40 hours of extra features.

You will need a LOT of time of work! :lol:

So cool, though. This is one of the must own blu-rays. Lots of cool stuff.

Yeah right! I wasn't even accounting for time to watch the extras, but honestly I'm more excited to go thru some of those than blinking Ewoks and the further wussification of Darth Vader in ROTJ.* :p

*and yes I'm aware of how my comments on Vader and my like of Ep. III could potentially contradict one-another

-b.

my 5 year old watched SW for the first time. Was laughing, running around pretending he was wielding a lightsaber, making lego space ships, zooming around the house and then he was reduced to tears when Anakin became Darth Vader.

All the haters can STFU.

5. Makes sense.

I'd probably be traumatized too, especially if as a young child I identified with him more than Obi Wan, Luke, Han or any of the other main protagonists (assuming he's seen the original and prequel trilogies).

-b.

5. Makes sense.

I'd probably be traumatized too, especially if as a young child I identified with him more than Obi Wan, Luke, Han or any of the other main protagonists (assuming he's seen the original and prequel trilogies).

-b.

nope, he's never seen any of the movies. And we're watching them in order (ep 1-6) and not in order that they were filmed. So he totally didn't see it coming and got broadsided.

See, now I wish I could have discovered Anakin's fate by way of chronological story progression too. A friend of mine was lucky enough to have (well, unlucky in a sense lol) to have seen the movies in order, with no prior exposure to Star Wars. When she went to see Episode 3 and saw Anakin being christened Darth Vader she claims that she screamed in her chair, "OMG HE'S DARTH VADER?!" much to the dismay of the audience.

Lol...

See, now I wish I could have discovered Anakin's fate by way of chronological story progression too. A friend of mine was lucky enough to have (well, unlucky in a sense lol) to have seen the movies in order, with no prior exposure to Star Wars. When she went to see Episode 3 and saw Anakin being christened Darth Vader she claims that she screamed in her chair, "OMG HE'S DARTH VADER?!" much to the dismay of the audience.

Lol...

That's an awesome story, Myk! :D

But really...wasn't "No...I am your father" just as big a revelation?

Too bad there isn't some way you could preserve both as surprises...

Edited by Gubaba

Just finished Episode V. I really wish they would re-integrate the Wampa scenes (attacking Rebels and 3PO's trick on the snowtroopers) to TESB in an extended cut.

I should finish off the first normal viewing of the saga tomorrow with ROTJ. Definitely a better experience watching them numerically back to back IMO than in filming order. Gives a whole different spin to many scenes in Ep IV, in particular. Makes you really appreciate how good a job Ewan McGregor did in mimicking Alec Guinness, too.

Damn, I feel slow hitting one a day. Tomorrow I'm watching Sith, but may have to throw in A New Hope to catch up. I've gotta say though, there is no justification for the hate that went on with this set,it truly is the BR release of the year. As for the changes? I find it amousing that some (not necessarily here mind you, just in general), compain about Lucas never having a firm idea on where he wanted to go with the series, then in the same breath complainng that he keeps changing things.

I think I also remember someone here complaining about the pacing of Sith within the last day or so, specifically that the movie blow's itts battle wad at the beginning. The thing about that you have to remember, is that the battle at the beginning was the conclusion to the Clone Wars, and the CG series really drives its impotance home.

Edited by Keith

That's an awesome story, Myk! :D

But really...wasn't "No...I am your father" just as big a revelation?

Too bad there isn't some way you could preserve both as surprises...

I'm glad I wasn't there with her, but she hadn't seen Empire yet because she was watching them in order. Actually, I don't know if she ever got around to watching the other movies-she handled fantasy like Harry Potter and Eragon, I was responsible for sci-fi like Star Wars & Trek, lol.

As for Lucas having the entire story already thought out in his head, ultimately it's an irrelevant point; even if he KNEW where he was supposed to go there's no way Hollywood would allow him to plot out his story they way he saw fit, especially when he didn't really have any credibility ($$$$$$) behind him yet. If there's one thing I don't get it's the few continuity errors over the course of the saga.

Ah well, time to get back to it, I'm about to watch Hayden and Natalie rolling around in the grass-this is where I'm going to sneak guitar practice in lol...

I watched the battle of endor deleted scenes at a friends house when he bought the blu-rays. I have to say it was an eyeopener. I suddenly have a new respect for Moff Jerjerrod, and the deleteted rebel pilots scenes where hilarious and cool at the same time!

I got to see what the rebel guys standing behind Lando and Nien Nunb on the falcon were doing during the battle. I also found out both A-wings and B-wings had targeting computers.

The Mon Cal pilot sounds like Kermit the frog! and I think grandma leader was Lucas's mom!

my 5 year old watched SW for the first time. Was laughing, running around pretending he was wielding a lightsaber, making lego space ships, zooming around the house and then he was reduced to tears when Anakin became Darth Vader.

All the haters can STFU.

I was reduced to tears when Annakin became Darth Vader too, albeit for different reasons then a 5 year old I would expect...

All the haters can STFU.

Hey. I saw Star Wars when it first came out. I was five years old. I remember sitting in the cinema with my mother sitting next to me reading the opening crawl text to me since I couldn't read. I have really fond memories of all three films in the original trilogy.

It's too bad that I will never get to see those films again.

We are all entitled to an opinion here.

So does Vader still say "Alert my star destroyer to prepare for my arrival." in Empire. REALLY hate the line change.

Chris

That whole sequence that they added with Vader returning to the Star Destroyer was unnecessary and really spoiled the flow.

I think Duketogo noted this when AOTC first came out, but watching Hayden confess to Natalie what he had just done, having murdered that lot of Tusken Raiders and their families, complete with rising Empire music in the background as Hayden revealed his capacity to feel jealousy and hatred, was very powerful stuff-I'd say one of the best, most defining moments in the saga. It's good to see this again...

I've gotta say though, there is no justification for the hate that went on with this set,it truly is the BR release of the year.

This statement is wrong--beyond just my opinion--and it has nothing to do with Vader's new "No." Biggest release? Most popular release? Unequivocally, yes. A solid argument can be made for LoTR: Extended was a superior release; the same can be said for The Ten Commandments. Smaller-set wise, Apocalypse Now and Citizen Kane both had higher-quality releases this year.

The supplemental material has a limited viewing life. When it comes down to video quality, the Saga falls far short.

This statement is wrong--beyond just my opinion--and it has nothing to do with Vader's new "No." Biggest release? Most popular release? Unequivocally, yes. A solid argument can be made for LoTR: Extended was a superior release; the same can be said for The Ten Commandments. Smaller-set wise, Apocalypse Now and Citizen Kane both had higher-quality releases this year.

The supplemental material has a limited viewing life. When it comes down to video quality, the Saga falls far short.

Hang on. Citizen Kane is out on Blu-ray?? WOOO-HOOOOOOO!!!!! (just noticed that it is pretty pricey though.

The next major film I want to see on blu-ray is Lawrence of Arabia, should be great......

Lol...

That has to be in one of my books. I'm so stealing this! Ha ha! Too damn funny!

Like that flashback episode of "The Simpsons," where Homer and Marge are leaving the theater after seeing "The Empire Strikes Back," and there is a line wrapped around the theater waiting for the next showing. Homer turns to Marge and broadcasts in front of all the fanboys, "Can you believe Darth Vader is Luke's father?" :lol:

Like that flashback episode of "The Simpsons," where Homer and Marge are leaving the theater after seeing "The Empire Strikes Back," and there is a line wrapped around the theater waiting for the next showing. Homer turns to Marge and broadcasts in front of all the fanboys, "Can you believe Darth Vader is Luke's father?" :lol:

Of course, any fanboy who did not see the FIRST showing is only a fanboy wannabe.

Hey. I saw Star Wars when it first came out. I was five years old. I remember sitting in the cinema with my mother sitting next to me reading the opening crawl text to me since I couldn't read. I have really fond memories of all three films in the original trilogy.

It's too bad that I will never get to see those films again.

We are all entitled to an opinion here.

That whole sequence that they added with Vader returning to the Star Destroyer was unnecessary and really spoiled the flow.

I have fond memories as well. I saw Empire Strikes Back and RotJ in the theaters. I had SW on VHS that I watched so many times the tape broke.

No matter what happens, if GL releases the theatrical print or not, I'm never going to be able to relive those moments... but I can be there with my kid as he discovers SW for the first time.

I'm just going to choose to not spend my time hating and bitching. But we are all entitled to spend our time as best we see fit.